• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Beta Announced

Pachimari

This game is something special. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I liked the puzzle at the workbench, and that Godzilla were terrifying. I also love mining for stuff but I don't know what I can do for the town (I'm still reading the manual).

Can I join a GAF town tonight?

liberator 23

Neo Member
This game is something special. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I liked the puzzle at the workbench, and that Godzilla were terrifying. I also love mining for stuff but I don't know what I can do for the town (I'm still reading the manual).

Add myself (Liberator223) or (Nestled_Grizzly) on PSN, we've started a GAF town with about ten people so far.

sadly i really wont have a chance to play the 3rd beta session today as i get off of work by 6:30pm pst

hope there will be more opportunities in the future.

did enjoy my playtime in the first session though. my one and only.

hope to hear a release date soon

What's up with the black bars around my screen? I didn't see anyplace to stretch the screen either.

Oh and I spent all day loading goods on the truck and mining and got 0 toil even though I mined some goods and dropped them off in the silos.

Venom Fox

Banned

Add myself (Liberator223) or (Nestled_Grizzly) on PSN, we've started a GAF town with about ten people so far.
I'm in the town as well, I'll say hi tonight :)

Makes sense to chop down trees in town. The second town I spent time in had an organised orchard. But when Godzilla smashed a bunch of buildings (bloody literally walked down a street stomping everything), people basically had no choice but to chop everything down to make wood for repairs. No time to find trees outside.

There is probably a nice sweet spot in terms of farming that you'll figure out eventually. 5 food needed for a sapling to grow another tree. So you should harvest a minimum of 5 fruit from a tree before chopping it down, otherwise it's costing you more than its returning.
An orchard can indeed make an excellent emergency wood supply, but I'd say that in general, it's better to just let them grow an abundant supply of easily harvested food, and get your wood from the islands where it appears fully formed and ready to chop. Remember that sacrificing your lovely orchard also means having to rebuild it afterwards, which is a lot of work on its own.

Regarding monster attacks, your town should be defended well enough that they typically don't breach the border in the first place. Godzilla in particular you want to drop just outside the edge of town, so it's easy to go out and harvest them, but you don't have their corpse clogging up town square for a couple of days. You shouldn't need to do any repairs at all except after the bigger attacks. Think about Walking Dead. Mostly what keeps them safe is a large wall that can't be damaged by normal means. We need the same.

Obviously, shit happens, and you gotta do what you gotta do to get by, but I don't think growing your own wood should really be the plan unless your town ends up growing so large that the islands simply don't spawn enough to meet your daily construction and maintenance requirements. Even when you do reach that stage, it may be more efficient to chop saplings as soon as they mature, before they even fruit, and just set up a "feeder orchard" of appropriate size to do nothing but produce apples for saplings. That'll mostly depend on timing, but it seems like the saplings mature comparatively quickly, but take a while to produce even five apples.

Let's say it takes a tree 20 minutes to mature, and 60 minutes to grow five apples. If you let the tree grow long enough to produce "its own" sapling, that cycle produces three pieces of wood every 80 minutes. Multiply that by a dozen trees, and you're producing 27 wood an hour. Not too shabby.

But, an already mature tree can produce enough fruit to create a new sapling every hour. If we dedicate three trees to sapling production, that will produce three saplings an hour, or one every 20 minutes, which is how often we want to chop them down. That means that just three adult trees can actually produce 9 wood per hour, so with a dozen dedicated to that, you'll actually be producing 36 wood per hour, 33% more.

Oh, it just occurred to me that your breeder orchard will actually need a mandate for 16 trees, because you'll need a column of saplings, and a 16-tree fruit-and-chop orchard would actually produce the same 36 wood per hour, and you'd be able to skip all of the tree shaking. Edit: Oh, but you'd have that much more chopping to do…

So, it seems like fruit-and-chop would actually have the edge — or not — but I still say the most efficient use of your mandate is to use all 16 trees to produce food, and get all of your wood from the islands. ;)

Mahonay

Banned
Well there will probably be tons of people trying to get on tonight with this blizzard keeping everyone in the north east stuck inside. Hope the servers don't give out. I'd like to get to play this at least once.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh, it just occurred to me that your breeder orchard will actually need a mandate for 16 trees, because you'll need a column of saplings, and a 16-tree fruit-and-chop orchard would actually produce the same 36 wood per hour, and you'd be able to skip all of the tree shaking. Edit: Oh, but you'd have that much more chopping to do…

So, it seems like fruit-and-chop would actually have the edge — or not — but I still say the most efficient use of your mandate is to use all 16 trees to produce food, and get all of your wood from the islands. ;)

But my point was we never got to the stage where the islands were providing enough wood. Domiciles I think require 10 wood for building, and that depletes island wood really quickly. Not to mention if you get something like the upside down legs island where everything good is out of reach unless you have a jetpack and chainsaw (unlikely for a lot of people), then you're hamstrung for wood for a while until you get a new island.

And Godzilla takes tons of shots to down, plus you can't predict his incoming path so often at least one of your turrets will be blocked from him. Does he have any weak spots to hit for massive damage?

But my point was we never got to the stage where the islands were providing enough wood. Domiciles I think require 10 wood for building, and that depletes island wood really quickly. Not to mention if you get something like the upside down legs island where everything good is out of reach unless you have a jetpack and chainsaw (unlikely for a lot of people), then you're hamstrung for wood for a while until you get a new island.

And Godzilla takes tons of shots to down, plus you can't predict his incoming path so often at least one of your turrets will be blocked from him. Does he have any weak spots to hit for massive damage?
Fair enough. I was thinking more about the goal than what it takes to get there. Obviously, you're not going to be firing on all cylinders in the early going, and you won't be able to scour every island clean, so like I said, do what you gotta do. Really, in the early going, food production shouldn't be such an issue because your town's population should be comparatively low. There's no point in reviving the humans if you can't keep them fed and safe. Better to just let the dolls stack up until you get to that stage. So yeah, in the early going, you'll probably want to grow trees for wood rather than food, because yes, there will be a lot of construction and repairs to be done.

Yeah, the Godzillas are pretty tough. They actually seem tougher than they were in the alpha. Basically, the best strategy for town defense is a battery of turrets out at each corner of the town. That should ensure you can bring at least two batteries to bear on any inbound threat, so the batteries should be large enough that they can deal at least 60% of the damaged that needs to be doled out in a typical attack. Also, as the town continues to expand, you need to make sure to moving your batteries out past the edges, so their line of fire isn't blocked by new construction. In the alpha, I'd place them just far enough out that the ground was starting to lose solidity, and I'd place a floor lamp directly underneath for night fighting. With larger batteries, a central street light may be more efficient, but you don't want the individual turrets grouped too closely either. You also don't wanna shoot out your light source… Yeah, better stick with floor lamps. lol

Again, I'm describing ideal deployment here, but the real point is that when you're under constant threat of attack, defense should really be your top priority, because until you have that in place, anything else you do will be effectively spinning your wheels, as the monsters just knock it down again and again. Only once you can say you've claimed your place in the Void should you start worrying about sprucing it up. Don't build shit the monsters can destroy until you've made sure they can't destroy it. Build your wall before you start offering its protection to others.

o-QvLcZNlVvxT4AhQeo30yAZFIy-jWzdUAeON-NUnYc

SOntICzYQcCaw83ZdSowX5lySqNoOV9S43kFOAINIG4

My favorite screens I took. The top one really shows off the realistic material lighting.

squidyj

I am hyped about this evening, I got to squeeze in about a half an hour yesterday but it wasn't enough I want more. Finally I and everybody else can crash the servers hard.

Yea that was the first big change I noticed. I went to the sphere island, dynamite in a sphere for dolls three 2 of the 3 I found, jumped down and found them broken
That'll certainly put a damper on the butchering technique we developed in the alpha, where the first step was grabbing a rocket launcher or a tank and shooting it in the gizzard. lol

Still, making them fragile makes them harder to harvest and more precious in general, so that's probably a positive move overall. :)

Shoeless

So how exactly does turret ammo work? I've tried hopping on the turrets to defend the town from the Kaiju, but they never seem to be able to fire. What do I need to do to ensure these things are loaded?

Shoeless

Lmao, the TTC bible. I'd read it...

Did you purchase ammo from the police shelter?

This may be the problem, then. Don't think the town I was in HAD a police shelter.

I guess I'll make that my personal goal to see if I can craft one when the servers go live later today.

Venom Fox

Banned
This may be the problem, then. Don't think the town I was in HAD a police shelter.

I guess I'll make that my personal goal to see if I can craft one when the servers go live later today.
Yeah, once the town is upgraded a bit you can build a police station/ shelter and purchase your ammo from there.

Con_Smith

Banned
So I'm waiting for the US time and looking for any tips on how to make the most out of the last three hours. Also is there anything special I should do if I want to play with gaffers?

liberator 23

Neo Member
So I'm waiting for the US time and looking for any tips on how to make the most out of the last three hours. Also is there anything special I should do if I want to play with gaffers?

Nothing really special to do other than have a gaffer on your PSN friend list to join their town. Nestled_Grizzly, Venom Fox, and myself (Liberator223) are all at the same town with some other gaffers if you'd like to join us.

Nothing really special to do other than have a gaffer on your PSN friend list to join their town. Nestled_Grizzly, Venom Fox, and myself (Liberator223) are all at the same town with some other gaffers if you'd like to join us.
I actually managed to swing it so I can make the first two hours tonight, if y'all don't mind adding me. <3

Top Bottom