• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Beta Announced

Mathieran

Banned
I'm really looking forward to this game, I hope they announce a release date soon. I might day one this, it seems like it could be pretty awesome figuring stuff out with everyone.

I like what I hear from the impressions in this thread.

HiVision

how does this game look so good? what is it doing differently, the lighting?

We use a new technology called voxel cone tracing, which represents a practically infinite no. of lights in a voxel like structure (that you can't see directly), that also have 3 bounces of light.

If you search for James McLaren Siggraph or GDC he has done a talk describing our technology.

We did this because we needed dynamically changing light with solid structures - ie. when you dig a tunnel into the terrain you need the light to bounce into the tunnel or you are only going to see about a meter into it before it is completely black.

HiVision

What's up with the black bars around my screen? I didn't see anyplace to stretch the screen either.

Oh and I spent all day loading goods on the truck and mining and got 0 toil even though I mined some goods and dropped them off in the silos.

We use the screen stretch information from the PS4's OS, so if you have set that properly it will reflect correctly.

The curved letter boxing is part of the art direction to generate a cinematic experience. (imagine if you are sitting in a cinema with a big screen in front of you, you naturally get some curvature)

This kind of thing is a part of my mind's eye style, and if you look up my photography (dckyoto on flickr) or previous games I have made you will see this kind of thing a lot (PixelJunk Sidescroller, NomNomGalaxy etc)

Con_Smith

Banned
Nothing really special to do other than have a gaffer on your PSN friend list to join their town. Nestled_Grizzly, Venom Fox, and myself (Liberator223) are all at the same town with some other gaffers if you'd like to join us.

I'll send some friend requests.

Psn: J-chris88

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hey you guys! I want to join that GAF Town!

Add me in PSN! juanpipe

Will do my best to jump on the second it's up. I'm sick and my head hurts, but I'll be back and ready to go in like 40 minutes. Just need some more rest. PSN ID same as GAF name.

We use the screen stretch information from the PS4's OS, so if you have set that properly it will reflect correctly.

The curved letter boxing is part of the art direction to generate a cinematic experience. (imagine if you are sitting in a cinema with a big screen in front of you, you naturally get some curvature)

This kind of thing is a part of my mind's eye style, and if you look up my photography (dckyoto on flickr) or previous games I have made you will see this kind of thing a lot (PixelJunk Sidescroller, NomNomGalaxy etc)

Hey man, sorry to ask something that's been brought up a number of times in the thread, if it's already been answered I must have missed it but assuming the DOF is a part of the artistic direction too just wondering if there's any control over it in the settings? It's just I went to look for it in the options last time but the menu is locked out for the beta it seems. Anyway can't wait to get back in to it tonight, congrats, this is a really unique game.

I'm going off of serversurfer and HiVision's post. Unless i read them wrong.
I should clarify that I know nothing, and Dylan may have said too much. :p

During the alpha, an offhand comment by Dylan — which I won't repeat for fear that I've gotten him in enough trouble already ;) — led me to believe this wasn't planned to be a retail release on the scale of Bloodborne or inFamous. But that was just my guess, based on little, and it was during the alpha. It's pretty clear the scope has increased significantly from what was going on in the alpha, and I get the impression that was actually in response to the reception the alpha received, but I dunno how much it's actually increased, or where it currently sits.

I would suspect that if this game is getting a retail release, it'd be similar to the physical release for Quest for Booty; still a "standard" downloadable game, but bolstered by a physical release in digital-averse regions like EU, and maybe Japan? Anyway, I dunno if I'd get my hopes up for steelbooks or anything like that, since I'm not really sure that was ever planned originally.

Sorry, Dylan. Hope I didn't get you into any trouble. <3

Yeah, once the town is upgraded a bit you can build a police station/ shelter and purchase your ammo from there.
That's what I was saying about a first-things-first strategy, and that's why I was trying to get a cop shop built in my initial impressions post. Build just enough domiciles to unlock the cop shop, build that, and then build your defenses. Once you can defend your claim, then you can start adding more facilities.

Friend request sent comrade.
Accepted! I added Grizzly too.

Sounds like you need a Vita. I remote played the last session.
lol When I thought I was gonna be stuck out all night, I seriously considered trying to RP via cellular tether. :p

Kinda completely off-topic, but since it came up tangentially and you may know… Devs can detect when games are being played by Remote Play and implement a custom, Vita-friendly control scheme for when it does, but can they use the same hooks to deliver an extra-large UI at the same time? I'm not really sure how the alternate controls are implemented on the back end.

andylsun

Friend request sent for NeoGAF town. Only completed the tutorial so far, will the town commissioner tell us what needs doing in this thread?

Pandacon

Sent out friend invites, i'll also be streaming, in fact i think i'll stream some dragonball while i wait for servers to go online

To everyone who was wanting to join the Gaf Town. When you get to your first town, go back into the subway and go over to the friend tab and click my name.

To people still wanting to join.

My PSN is Nestled_Grizzly.

:)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna feel so lost in this game. I can tell already.

Top Bottom