• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Top 100 countries by game revenues (China, US, Japan take top 3)

Tschumi

Australia's location on that list shows why companies never send much of their best stuff to us.. it was easier, and cheaper, for me to order premium model futsal shoes from England than buy them at Rebel sport. PlayStation store au always lacks key titles because, fuckin why, because 20 million whites complaining is nothing compared to other countries' markers so they can fuck with us.

So glad, so glad i live in Japan.

JimiNutz

Banned
Theres no surprise there. If you look at past years, germany is pretty much a bigger market than uk for a long time. Makes those uk sale threads all the more weird. Such a tiny, tiny market compared to the big three and its even lower than another european country, but for some reason we take uk sales as more than it is. Game X sold 50 thousand copies in the uk thread. Yeah, so what ?

Yeah I must admit, I thought the UK was a bigger market than it is. I suppose it isn't much of a surprise that Germany is higher as it's a larger population and a more successful economy.

Canada is only 37 millions people

Spain is 47 millions
Italy is 60 millions
UK almost 67 millions
France 67 millions
Germany 83 millions

it’s more or less about population.

Yeah I forget how small the Canadian population is. It's such a huge landmass that I always expect it to be more and forget that large parts of the country are not really habitable.

petran79

Banned
Israel is also very high for its population and gdp which is nothing like that of western europe. Portugal is also very high for same reason. Greece is first in Balkans, just behind Romania with double the population.

lock2k

Banned
i have this curiosity, i dont live in the US but i bought all my games/consoles at Amazon USso that mean those revenues are counted to US right?
Yes.

They won't make a filter. I'd bet a high part of the U.S. sales are to foreign countries. If they could be counted the stats would have been totally different.

I bought many consoles from (and in) the U.S. over the years and all of those were sales to the U.S. when counted.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Nice visualization. Really shows why games are going all in on China too. Does not quell any fears of CCP censorship or data privacy concerns.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
No big surprises there.

That said I wasn't expecting South Korea to be higher than Germany or UK.

And I though UK passed Japan few years ago.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Guess this explains that Rakuten analysts crazy projections; it being obvious now that if any one console platform-holder can take China somewhere down the line... then the potential audience gets a lot bigger.

Aidah

Not accurate because a lot of people outside US buy games form the US region
Oh yeah sure. But I meant even if everyone was buying from their countries.

I mean I've seen figures from these kinds of analysis companies (top ten grossing games worldwide for instance), then you have the pub/dev say that it's not even close.

Top Bottom