• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trademark for The Last Guardian has been abandoned (e.g. dead)

Renaming it doesn't really make sense... it's not a FFvsXIII situation (which arguable actually benefits from the change to a mainline-FF title). If there's no TLG somewhere in the title, no one will really know what it is.

Sooo... this piece of news finally worries me :(

Don't companies often renew IPs/trademarks just to keep them even though they don't intend to use them? They would rather let TLG lapse than something like ATV Offroad Fury!?

Kusagari

Name change, The Last Guardian has too much baggage and negativity associated with it

lol what? The only baggage and negativity is people mad it's not out.

It makes no sense to change the name unless they're changing the entire concept.

And no a single game is not at all comparable to Versus where they simply made a spinoff into a mainline game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Name change, The Last Guardian has too much baggage and negativity associated with it

The negativity is entirely based on people wanting the game and not getting to have it. Changing the name won't change the fact that it was in development hell. People who have negative feelings because of that will still have them regardless of a name change. And then there are the low-information consumers don't know it has baggage in the first place, so the name doesn't matter.

Maybe the game really has changed fundamentally and requires a name change for that reason, but I'm not holding my breath.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it always possible that someone there screwed up and forgot to renew the trademark?
It takes around six months for a trademark to be abandoned if the owner/applicant doesnt file a Request for Extension of Time to file SOU. I find it unlikely that someone just forgets about trademark maintenance for six months.

I want an E3 trailer that just shows "We're still here." at the end. No new footage, no mentions of TLG, just a cryptic message at the end of a random E3 trailer.

And c'mon people, you can't seriously believe this has been cancelled...

Note: The previous application, trademark U.S. serial number 77750563, was also abandoned before all extension requests had been used. This news doesn't bode well for the future of this game however.

Holy jumping to outlandish conclusions with no evidence, batman!

Surprised the sunhilegend the thing gifs haven't been posted when this happened before.

ivW9fJ769HNeL.gif

Bold One

lol what? The only baggage and negativity is people mad it's not out.

It makes no sense to change the name unless they're changing the entire concept.

And no a single game is not at all comparable to Versus where they simply made a spinoff into a mainline game.

The negativity is entirely based on people wanting the game and not getting to have it. Changing the name won't change the fact that it was in development hell. People who have negative feelings because of that will still have them regardless of a name change. And then there are the low-information consumers don't know it has baggage in the first place, so the name doesn't matter.

Maybe the game really has changed fundamentally and requires a name change for that reason, but I'm not holding my breath.

Negativity is still there and its not getting any better with each passing year the game is a no show, we left anticipation 4 E3s ago, now its become a running a joke every time Sony has an event, producers can't even speak about CES without people sniggering about TLG. much like Versus became 15 to distance itself from FF13 I think this may be in the same vain.

This is just a theory though...

Rösti;152305298 said:
It takes around six months for a trademark to be abandoned if the owner/applicant doesnt file a Request for Extension of Time to file SOU. I find it unlikely that someone just forgets about trademark maintenance for six months.

Yet we have trademark abandonment threads monthly and most of them turn out to be mistakes or misinterpretation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That makes no sense Y2Kev, why would they keep an IP that has no value whatsoever, and then keep lying and disappointing fans to keep that privilege.

I know you have many sources, and jokes aside, you have been probably right all along about this. But I fail to see the logic.

As a set of studios they do not sell or relinquish control of any IP.

Top Bottom