• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trials HD Official Thread

HardAct

Neo Member
Just went back to this game after a long leave. It's so amazingly addictive, I had to take a break for awhile. i had the game 200/200 on achievements on XBLA, but there were more added with the new big track pack. So i went on a mission and got all of them too. this game is a great addition to the XBOXLIVE Arcade. A must own for me, and I highly recommend it to all of you !!

Daigoro

Ledsen said:
Not even close. I'd tire of the game within minutes if I did that. I just try to make it through the stages before failing 500 times or whatever the limit is.

you are doing it SO wrong then.

sorry :(

Ledsen

Daigoro said:
you are doing it SO wrong then.

sorry :(

So by playing the game in a way that makes me want to finish it, as opposed to getting frustrated and dropping it in a matter of hours, I'm doing it wrong? I see.

Daigoro

Ledsen said:
So by playing the game in a way that makes me want to finish it, as opposed to getting frustrated and dropping it in a matter of hours, I'm doing it wrong? I see.

yes because this game is all about progression of skill. the more you play, the more enjoyable it becomes. by playing it just to "get to the credits" you're getting about 10% of what the game actually has to offer.

seriously.

Ledsen

Daigoro said:
yes because this game is all about progression of skill. the more you play, the more enjoyable it becomes. by playing it just to "get to the credits" you're getting about 10% of what the game actually has to offer.

seriously.

I'd say being able to even finish the Expert tracks shows a huge progression of skill on my part, and that's what I enjoyed about the game. Taking it to the next level by also being able to finish those tracks without dying, that's not something I'm interested in. If I had to recommend someone the best way to play the game, I'd tell them to do exactly like I did: first focus on simply finishing all the levels without caring about deaths, time etc, then, if they're still interested, go for better medals and no-death runs. Doing it the opposite way is a recipe for burnout.

Ledsen said:
I'd say being able to even finish the Expert tracks shows a huge progression of skill on my part, and that's what I enjoyed about the game. Taking it to the next level by also being able to finish those tracks without dying, that's not something I'm interested in. If I had to recommend someone the best way to play the game, I'd tell them to do exactly like I did: first focus on simply finishing all the levels without caring about deaths, time etc, then, if they're still interested, go for better medals and no-death runs. Doing it the opposite way is a recipe for burnout.
You're both right.

Getting through the levels is absolutely the first priority, and well it should be. But it's going back and using the new found skills on earlier levels and then improving your faults/times that's where the real addiction lies. If you don't have that compulsion, then you're really not even getting half the experience, though what you will experience is still excellent.

Daigoro

Ledsen said:

you're right, it certainly is a progression of skill. the expert courses are not a cakewalk to finish at first at all. its just that the game has so much more to offer. just beating the tracks is the first step, then comes no fault (i have not been able to no fault all of the tracks even after a few hundred hours), then comes platinum medals.

like toythatkills said, its when you go back to the beginning after beating those expert tracks that things really start to get interesting.

obviously you can play the game any way you like. i just know that the game has a hell of a lot more to offer than just beating every track and then dropping it.

sorry for coming off like a dick about it. its just one of my favorite games this gen and i feel pretty strongly about how much the game really has to offer if one actually puts some time into progressing through the levels of things that it has to teach you.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Daigoro said:
you're right, it certainly is a progression of skill. the expert courses are not a cakewalk to finish at first at all. its just that the game has so much more to offer. just beating the tracks is the first step, then comes no fault (i have not been able to no fault all of the tracks even after a few hundred hours), then comes platinum medals.

like toythatkills said, its when you go back to the beginning after beating those expert tracks that things really start to get interesting.

obviously you can play the game any way you like. i just know that the game has a hell of a lot more to offer than just beating every track and then dropping it.

sorry for coming off like a dick about it. its just one of my favorite games this gen and i feel pretty strongly about how much the game really has to offer if one actually puts some time into progressing through the levels of things that it has to teach you.

It's pretty much the same with Mirror's Edge, especially if you practice the time trials and then take that experience with you to the campaign. If you only play through the campaign you will just get a sliver of what is so enjoyable about the game. You won't be aware all the options, the shortcuts and the tightness of the level design.

Finally completed all the tracks up to hard (original game and extra dlc) after a year of on and off play. Took a while, but well worth the effort. The extreme tracks could take another year though :(

I just spent another week trying to beat Inferno 2. I think I finally give up. It's the only track in the entire game I can't beat. I've been trying to beat it on and off for almost 2 years now... it's breaking me.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most is that there is a 30 minute time limit. Why not just let me keep trying to beat the part in stuck on for as long as I want? You could let the leaderboard shame me instead of making me have to start at the beginning which just causes frustration.
Seriously, I think seeing my name on the leaderboard having beat the track in 6 hours and 1457 faults would be punishment enough.

added_time said:
I just spent another week trying to beat Inferno 2. I think I finally give up. It's the only track in the entire game I can't beat. I've been trying to beat it on and off for almost 2 years now... it's breaking me.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most is that there is a 30 minute time limit. Why not just let me keep trying to beat the part in stuck on for as long as I want? You could let the leaderboard shame me instead of making me have to start at the beginning which just causes frustration.
Seriously, I think seeing my name on the leaderboard having beat the track in 6 hours and 1457 faults would be punishment enough.
Keep going, man. The satisfaction of beating that track is incredible.

I always reach the 500 fault limit before the time limit :lol

toythatkills said:
Keep going, man. The satisfaction of beating that track is incredible.

I always reach the 500 fault limit before the time limit :lol

The part I can't beat is when you have to climb a steep steel incline which turns into a slightly less steep incline and then jump over a wall. I spent practically the entire 30 minutes at that part twice now... it's killing me.

Daigoro

added_time said:
The part I can't beat is when you have to climb a steep steel incline which turns into a slightly less steep incline and then jump over a wall. I spent practically the entire 30 minutes at that part twice now... it's killing me.

its one of the hardest parts in the game for sure. very hard to be consistent at too, when your going for a better time/less faults. if you keep at it, you will get it though.

wait till you see the part after that. (its not as hard, but seems that way at first)

LevityNYC

Banned
added_time said:

Hmm..master the bunny hop.

Most people think the part before that is the hardest part. I can no fault that shit now.

Daigoro

hm wait. i think i was thinking about a different section. thought he was talking about the part right after the tires with the inclines. now im confused. (yeah i was thinking of the part before that. much harder than the beam)

oh wait. i think this is the part right before the pipes. i read a great tip on that part a while back that suck with me. just shift your weight all the way forward and accelerate at a moderate pace. as soon as your front tire reaches the small torch in the backround let off of the stick so your weight isnt shifted forward anymore. your front wheel will pop up and you should land right on the next incline.

that helped me visualize what to do there and it helped a lot. that part is easy once you get used to it. you dont really even bunny hop there because of how steep it is. just let the front tire up and you'll pop right on.

LevityNYC said:
Most people think the part before that is the hardest part. I can no fault that shit now.

I used to think the part before that was the hardest too.. I spent a year but someone told me to use the A button to gain traction instead of the trigger and now I can do it every time. Such a weird tip so I dont know why it helped me since all A does is go full throttle.

TheMan

I'd really like some new tracks. Is there someone with good user-made tracks who'd be willing to friend me and share them with me?

Ledsen

added_time said:

Two years? Did you look up runs on Youtube? After doing that, even the Extreme tracks took me at most a couple of hours to beat.

Daigoro

its been a great ride TRIALS HD! literally.

best game on 360 and prob the game of the gen for me. i spent so many hours... i honestly wish i could have spent even more time playing. so much room for improvement.

but now is almost time to move on. it might be hard to come back after EVO is out, but Trials HD will always be one of the finest games ever created to me.

REDLYNX <3

Brakara

DLC2 had around 40 tracks, from all difficulty levels, including 1 beginner and 8 easy ones. Not sure how many were in DLC1, but I think it doubled the base number of medium and hard tracks as well as including some extreme tracks (but no easy/beginner ones).

So it depends if you guys want easy tracks or not. Both are easily worth it though. It's like 10 MSP (twelve and a half cents) per track.

Top Bottom