• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Truth About Cloud Gaming - Performance & Input Lag Analysis

Full video analysis here :

SPOILER: In BEST case scenario you get THREE TIMES more input delay :

NXbCfW5.png

If it was at least ten times cheaper for that horrible experience you get, I would still not consider it for the documented reason above. Owning your PC not only gives you uncomparibly better gaming as documented, but is much better value.

Now just imagine your worst nightmare comes to life and one day Sony ditches hardware completely for cloud stream gaming. It will have at least two times worse results than those you see here, giving you completely unbearable / unplayable experience, but you will have to suffer it in order to experience Sony first party exclusive games :messenger_grimmacing_

Kagey K

Banned
As it stands right now it’s not a viable way to game on most input sensitive games. FPS, TPS, but something like RPGs could be OK.

I’ve said before that as long as a local source (ie console) is available to me I will always choose to game that way first.

With that being said Cloud or streaming for games are still in their infancy, and there are many inroads that can be made to make it a better experience.

It’s going to take time and tech improvements, but before you know it, it might be near interchangeable with a local device.

Only time will tell, but I’m glad to see these steps being taken now otherwise we could be at this same phase 10 years from now.

Fuz

Banned
The input lag is NOT the problem with games as a service.

You support this, we're gonna have another gamers' consumer disaster. Like we don't have enough.

FranXico

Now just imagine your worst nightmare comes to life and one day Sony ditches hardware completely for cloud stream gaming. It will have at least two times worse results than those you see here, giving you completely unbearable / unplayable experience, but you will have to suffer it in order to experience Sony first party exclusive games:messenger_grimmacing_

Did you measure the lag of PSNow as well, or is that figure of "two times worse" an estimate?
When I tried it on a PS4, it was pretty ok, on PC, it was indeed pretty bad.

Yeah I don't get this push either - as a side option ok sure, but MS and Google seem to be pushing this as the ~~~~FuTuRE~~~~ so that is a big nope.

I've used PSNow and was actually surprised how good it worked, and I've used remote play to play RPGs etc, but that is no way to play the vast majority of games. Honestly remote play is the best way to handle this streaming "future", since you are at least streaming GAMES YOU HAVE PURCHASED AND OWN.

Kenpachii

U know it always makes me laugh when people complain about input lag and it will never be a thing.

While they play happely shooters on there console with sticks and 30+ ms, 60hz, motion blur riddled screens.

Quality is not what people care about, its the fact that they can play it. And streaming is exactly what digs into this market. That's the reason it gets pushed. The only people that can't seem to see this are still disc buying people in 2018.

Last edited:
Now just imagine your worst nightmare comes to life and one day Sony ditches hardware completely for cloud stream gaming. It will have at least two times worse results than those you see here, giving you completely unbearable / unplayable experience, but you will have to suffer it in order to experience Sony first party exclusive games:messenger_grimmacing_

Thankfully Asia and emerging markets are too important for Sony and huge part of their success so this should save us from this stupidity for years to come.

But Microsoft will very likely try to pull another we know better what people want like they did with original Xbox One vision.

Darak

Games have been doing client-side prediction since Quake, for a reason. It is an absolute necessity, as anyone who has compared original Quake vs Quakeworld would know. You simply can't replace a videogame with a video player. It's not going to work. With your standard 'server is in another country' setup, you'll easily have to add 40ms latency to your current numbers (and that is, with networking at the speed of light). You can't simply ignore the laws of physics. And you also need to compress and decompress the stream on top of that.

Now, some games can work at 100+ms latency, specially if some simple things can be done in the client (such as the mouse cursor). But action games, for example, surely can't. Even then, you have to consider the network latency is something you need to add *on top* of the existing one. Modern games are already terrible in this regard, with multi-frame rendering pipelines were you may not really get any result from your input until three or four frames later.

bati

With your standard 'server is in another country' setup, you'll easily have to add 40ms latency to your current numbers (and that is, with networking at the speed of light). You can't simply ignore the laws of physics.

This should be printed out and stapled to the heads of people who think that 'many improvements can still be made in video game streaming segment'.

It'll be fine for people who don't care and for games where it doesn't matter (like RPGs).

But that's a pass from me, dawg. How can I play my shmups?

Killer751

Banned
Full video analysis here :

SPOILER: In BEST case scenario you get THREE TIMES more input delay :

NXbCfW5.png

If it was at least ten times cheaper for that horrible experience you get, I would still not consider it for the documented reason above. Owning your PC not only gives you uncomparibly better gaming as documented, but is much better value.

Sony will fix these issues eventually.

The real question is whether or not Microsoft will beat them to it.

Sony will fix these issues eventually.

The real question is whether or not Microsoft will beat them to it.
I highly doubt it since a lot of console games run at 30fps which is over 100ms and they add additional latency on top. PC games in the cloud IS the best case scenario due to the games running at much higher framerates. The best outcome of these current PC driven services is to have the latency of 30fps which most console gamers are used to.

PSNow latency is at least 60-80ms more than this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...laystation-nows-ps4-game-performance-analysed

Last edited:
Top Bottom