• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The truth is ... Xbox ditched generations with the Xbox One.

Bond007

Total revenue for the gaming division grew 8 percent for the latest financial quarter, which follows the tech company becoming a video games powerhouse by closing a $68.7 billion deal to acquire Activision Blizzard.

vince-mcmahon-money-smelling-money-that-s-good-f377xyctxrt8vh1g.gif
Sounds to me like the milked alot of people and made some money
No games and failure to maintain good IPs--- Sounds to me like they made money but failed gamers. I could care less about how much money they made.

Man, the takes from these guys is absolutely hysterical to me. This industry truly needs better commentators that understand the inner workings of this industry, rather than the folks using ancient framing to describe whats going on.

Before major things changed within MS (pre-Starfield), I know they still spoke of these machines in terms of generations. There are literal emails filed in court where Spencer himself describes these machines in terms of generations. Why folks like Jez go out of their way to create narratives to try and hand wave concerns is beyond me. The entire division would've been significantly better if MS/Xbox enthusiasts were willing to hold Xbox's feet to the fire.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
nick-young-whuut.gif

I dont even know if its worth it to see to how he came to this conclusion.

Ok, a read a lil more...."pro or next gen consoles are just basically branding"

Well, yeah. Usually its used to define what type of console it should be seen as.

Or will the new narrative be the PS5 Pro is basically a next gen console....if MS launches their next gen early... :pie_thinking:

Or maybe the next gen Xbox should be seen as a Pro if things start to go sideways.... :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
They already are. But if you mean them publishing on PS/Nintendo, stay tuned!

Yeah. Definitely what I meant. I saw your posts yesterday. Between comments made by Spencer and Stuart, As Dusk Falls going to PS, Blade not having any announced platforms or services, and even people like Shinobi telling us to expect more Xbox games on PS, it would take complete denial to refuse to see the trend here. Xbox not selling well at all doesn't help.

FUBARx89

Jez is a grade A weapon. It must be awful for him living in England, seeing the xbox brand crator sales wise and having to find some spin/told the talking points by MS and believing it as fact.

Wonder if we can get him sectioned for holding such delusions. Anyone wanna ring up the NHS?

SHA

So basically, ps users expecting the 5 pro to keep them secure for another 4 years, that's Sonys game, not ms game unfortunately, it's competition, either companies wanna make the other irrelevant, denying the competition ever existed is hypocrisy cause without it there won't be choices available to decide.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's all mental gymnastics to try and control the Sony having a Pro model and them not until a while later, narrative.

MS needs to worry about not being able to sell what they have, even with fire sale clearance-like discounts.
I take it as what Jez was saying was what's it matter what the next Xbox is called no matter if its Xbox 2 or Xbox Series X Pro

Personally this is one time I don't see Jez taking any shots at PS

ungalo

He means they ditched generations with the Series then.

Xbox One had next gen games when it came out.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I take it as what Jez was saying was what's it matter what the next Xbox is called no matter if its Xbox 2 or Xbox Series X Pro

Personally this is one time I don't see Jez taking any shots at PS
Most have been saying this since day 1 of this gen, but, branding still matter to the average mass consumer. That separation of "gen" still drives people to upgrade. If you muddy it where "it's the same as Xbox Series," they will be in a world of hurt more than they already are on the platform front.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Most have been saying this since day 1 of this gen, but, branding still matter to the average mass consumer. That separation of "gen" still drives people to upgrade. If you muddy it where "it's the same as Xbox Series," they will be in a world of hurt more than they already are on the platform front.
The naming of Xbox skus hurt more than what most people think

I mean how many PS5 games only were there but the average person walking into Best Buy/Walmart knew PS5 > PS4

Average guy looks at multiple skus Xbox had at launch with getting rid of old models and just wonder how many had to scratch their heads and wonder what was what

ReBurn

Gold Member
Generations kind of did end with PS4 and Xbox One. We've moved into an era of consoles being based on mainstream PC hardware and chasing PC performance. There's nothing revolutionary about Xbox Series and PS5.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The naming of Xbox skus hurt more than what most people think

I mean how many PS5 games only were there but the average person walking into Best Buy/Walmart knew PS5 > PS4

Average guy looks at multiple skus Xbox had at launch with getting rid of old models and just wonder how many had to scratch their heads and wonder what was what
Generations kind of did end with PS4 and Xbox One. We've moved into an era of consoles being based on mainstream PC hardware and chasing PC performance. There's nothing revolutionary about Xbox Series and PS5.
Naming convention still matters to the average consumer. The perception.

i.e. iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, etc., etc.. Nothing more amazing and revolutionary about each iteration, they all still play and run the old stuff, but people clearly understand a "new generation" device due to clear and easy to understand branding/message.

SHA

It's hard to believe actually, the die architecture should be at least 3nm or less, I don't see the year 2026 to be ready, it's too early to make a huge shift in tech.

Last edited:
This is already known. Games as a service never stop being played so the digital libraries need to carry over from console to console seamlessly. Everyone is already aware that hard console breaks with a new generation are no longer a thing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wonder what they'll call it?

Xbox Series Same But Different But Still The Same X™
When I first heard about it they were calling it Xbox 2 which was curious because they could have just said the next Xbox

I bet they do somehow try to incorporate the Series moniker though as one big "family"

But answering question directly I have no idea :)

Lol talking points must have come out.

Damn it’s obvious

Btw internally Xbox used the term "marching orders" to their "armies"

I kid you not

Last edited:

onQ123

Well yeah I thought this was well known

They been planning this smartphone model for years .

It was supposed to create a neverending user base that would scale & grow with every new Xbox but it's not really working as planned because Nintendo & PlayStation getting a bigger user base with the old model of doing things.

havoc00

When I first heard about it they were calling it Xbox 2 which was curious because they could have just said the next Xbox

I bet they do somehow try to incorporate the Series moniker though as one big "family"

I kid you not
Awaiting orders sir

onQ123

I kid you not
And every time they give these marching orders these people make fools of themselves on the Internet using the same words as the other fools as if people can't see that they was all told to say this stuff lol.

Top Bottom