• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Uncharted future looks insanely strong: Let’s discuss where ND should go next

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Uncharted the Lost Legacy wasn't a perfect game, the open areas were a welcome to the now veteran franchise and teases something for the future while retaining the Hollywood, boom linear structure. How could there be any room for doubt when the company delivers each gen with unique characters (Crash, Jak etc.) that span multiple titles so that's why I want to ask you what we should expect from Naughty Dog and SONY and where you think they should go next. More traditional puzzles/jungles or new IPs?

Dunki

Let them do something else. I still want this space sci fi game which they always "teased" in the Last of us^^

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It would be naive to think there won't be another action adventure from ND whether it has Drake's face slapped on the cover is on them. I think there's gas left.

fordian

Neo Member
I hope they make another eventually. Uncharted isn't some untouchable artistic masterpiece, it's just a fun video game series and I want more of it.

I'd like a new IP first but I hope they don't ditch the franchise forever, it's the only worthwhile Indiana Jones clone in gaming. People act like it's "too sacred" to go near again (same with TLOU) but I think they're being melodramatic.

Damerman

more bite sized games like lost legacy staring chloe and nadine... maybe a playable nadine this time. lost legacy is the most fun i've had in a video game in a long time.

xRaizen

more bite sized games like lost legacy staring chloe and nadine... maybe a playable nadine this time. lost legacy is the most fun i've had in a video game in a long time.

I liked LL but Nadine was NOT one of the reasons why at all.

If we get another bite-sized adventure, it should be with Sully and Sam.

Brizzo24

Uncharted with Sullivan as main character set in the 1970s.

If ND were to shelf the series for a bit, focus on Last of Us II, and then hit us with a teaser next E3 with Sullivan as the main protagonist in the 70's I'd be into it again. 70's with a retro vibe, different weapons, and no boring long climbing segments sounds great. Plus, those child flashbacks of Drake were cool the first time, but after playing through all that Drake and his bro had to go through (the nuns house, the old ladies house, etc.) I really don't need any of that ever again.

I trudged through U4, didn't even glance at Legacy. I'm just burnt out I guess.

Uncharted is a recognized brand that is a massive cash cow. Do you guys realize how difficult it is to build something like that? Those of you that think you've seen the last of Uncharted are badly mistaken.

How long has Mario and Zelda been around?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally like to see ND work on new IP after they done with Last of Us Part II.

Z..

Uncharted is a recognized brand that is a massive cash cow. Do you guys realize how difficult it is to build something like that? Those of you that think you've seen the last of Uncharted are badly mistaken.

No one think we've seen the last of it, we just wish that was the case at least for a good while. I like the series and hope to see more of it in 5 years or so. Until new, new stuff after TloU2, please. Since you mentioned them, sticking to Mario and Zelda's tradition of releasing AT THE VERY MOST two games per console cycle (and more often than not just the one).would be ideal.

Ostrava04

I would love to see ND work on a sci-fi title, cause that could be amazing and that we're really lacking space opera games

Bolivar687

Banned
After the botching of their 2-team initiative and the way they rallied after that only to disappoint with Uncharted 4, I no longer have any optimism for Naughty Dog or their properties going forward.

Dante83

Banned
To be honest, uncharted has hit the plateau on what it could do, and it is a good thing that it ended with part 4 because the formula was getting old. Lost legacy was good, but felt the same mostly. If they churned out sequel after sequel, it would do more harm with the same formula. They will need to come up with something fresh and gripping to make it feel new again. The series needs a break for now even though it seems like it ended with 4.

JP

Personally, I've always been happy with Sony's first party studios just doing whatever seems best to them. I don't think they'll make another Uncharted and I don't feel that it's a good idea to force it.

They'll take everything that they've learnt into The Last of Us 2 and do the same again whatever follows that.

autoduelist

No one think we've seen the last of it, we just wish that was the case at least for a good while. I like the series and hope to see more of it in 5 years or so. Until new, new stuff after TloU2, please. Since you mentioned them, sticking to Mario and Zelda's tradition of releasing AT THE VERY MOST two games per console cycle (and more often than not just the one).would be ideal.

Well, we've only gotten one Uncharted game this gen, since TLL was essentially dlc that grew to stand alone expansion. So... call it 1.5 Uncharteds.

While I don't think we'll see another Uncharted this gen [maybe?], this idea Uncharted is 'over'/done is ridiculous.

I'd love to see more. Don't care who - Nate, Sully, whatever. Actually, I'd prefer Nate & Co. since I felt like they just gave the characters in TLL their personalities anyway.

Burn0ut

Neo Member
Insanely strong? Lol

I don’t even know how strong that is

But of course, it’s a strong Sony franchise of course

The thing is though, ND like to try out new things, but this time they might return to Uncharted on the PS5

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In my opinion Uncharted is a lot like Tomb Raider or even Indiana Jones. Temple exploring is a lot of fun, but after a while it all sorta dries the same way.

I didn't play the last stand alone expansion because I spent my money on other games and frankly I just wanted something else.

I love the Uncharted games. I had PS3's 1-3 on launch and 4 I had right when it came out. I even had (sold) a second copy of Uncharted 4 that came with the PS4 slim. I even have the remaster digitally from day 1.

It's one of those series where you just fear getting burned out. Treasure hunting or even climbing forts is fun, but it also can blend together. I start to realize that I've gotta really pay attention to what's going on or I'm just completing an objective that I don't fully understand. I pay attention to the plot. I get behind the characters and their charisma, but when you want change, you want change.

I'd love to see something sci-fi. I'd love to relate to them again this gen. There are amazing games this gen, but sometimes I feel like they haven't made a new Star Wars type of universe or something to tie into future generations.

The Last of Us 2 sounds good. But it's far from being Uncharted. Like I said, Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider are respectively awesome in their own right. And being burned out by their games is something to dread.

You get a good sense of video game quality and then it becomes stagnant because it isn't always that refreshing.

I prefer they move on to something else.

If they do keep going with uncharted, no open worlds please, there's already enough open world games out there for people to enjoy if that's their thing and i really like the linear aspect of the series.

EekTheKat

Oddly enough, Uncharted: (Insert adventure subtitle here + space/scifi buzzword "Star" "Frontier" ) also works as a title for a space sci-fi adventure game, albeit a somewhat cliche way to handle it.

Pepboy

In my opinion Uncharted is a lot like Tomb Raider or even Indiana Jones. Temple exploring is a lot of fun, but after a while it all sorta dries the same way.

I didn't play the last stand alone expansion because I spent my money on other games and frankly I just wanted something else.

I love the Uncharted games. I had PS3's 1-3 on launch and 4 I had right when it came out. I even had (sold) a second copy of Uncharted 4 that came with the PS4 slim. I even have the remaster digitally from day 1.

It's one of those series where you just fear getting burned out. Treasure hunting or even climbing forts is fun, but it also can blend together. I start to realize that I've gotta really pay attention to what's going on or I'm just completing an objective that I don't fully understand. I pay attention to the plot. I get behind the characters and their charisma, but when you want change, you want change.

I'd love to see something sci-fi. I'd love to relate to them again this gen. There are amazing games this gen, but sometimes I feel like they haven't made a new Star Wars type of universe or something to tie into future generations.

The Last of Us 2 sounds good. But it's far from being Uncharted. Like I said, Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider are respectively awesome in their own right. And being burned out by their games is something to dread.

You get a good sense of video game quality and then it becomes stagnant because it isn't always that refreshing.

I think this is pretty insightful. I think the setpiece design of uncharted is what makes it so attractive (at first). You're running through a collapsing building! Awesome! But suddenly halfway through the game I realize I don't know why I'm running through a collapsing building. I don't remember what's going on, who these random attractive women are, what the character motivations are, who betrayed who.

In part this is because I only have a few hours to play each week, but its also because theres so much flash the story whizzes by in 2 minute cutscenes.

After beating Uncharted 1 and 2, I remember nothing about those games like 3 months later. I got 3 for free and couldn't muster past the first 5 hours.

The only memorable side character for me is Sully, and only because he's the grizzled mentor archetype. Personally I'd be fine if they took a long break. I thought TLOU was nice and signaled Naughty Dog realizing that Uncharted was narratively stale. I guess they'll keep pumping them out instead.

Dizzan

MINI Member
They need to leave it for 5 years so when the announcement happens, it is huge.

One every 2 years, it just becomes assassins creed

Rathorial

Well Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy don't paint a strong future for that series imo. It's been diminishing returns since 2 for me, especially given so few new mechanics or systems are added to the experience (4 had a rope I guess), and you can always expect Nate to fall off something. Call of Duty has had more entries that change things up.

So I vote new IP, and also that the IP be in a different genre. The Last of Us was a slight change with the survival horror zombies, and stealth being more important...but it was still largely a third-person cinematic action game. They've been doing those for 10 years now, so I hope at least they can make a change equivalent to Guerrilla Games going from Killzone to Horizon.

hzsn724

Frankly, I think the series may be over. I am playing through Lost Legacy and enjoying my time with it, but it's just another linear cover shooter. Unless Naughty Dog can do something really unique with it and not rip off Tomb Raider, then I don't really think this franchise has anymore steam.

Major Uncharted 4 spoilers:
If they are just going to use Drake and Elena's daughter then they might as well just name her Lara and get it over with. Maybe in 7 years or so we can get an old Drake coming out of retirement and his daughter gets involved because something happens to him. Maybe she has to save him?

But whatever happens, I'll end up buying it anyway. I love this damn series and all of it's problems.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

In general it seems like that when Sony publishes something it gets easier to make a brand than from other publishers, so not really. All it have to do is being PS4 exclusive and wait for the cash to flow in.

valkyre

Naughty Dog should do something new. Uncharted has done its cycle. Time for Naughty Dog to offer a new IP this gen... but the way it looks at the moment they wont be able to do that, what with the TLOU2 coming out.

petrus91

They won’t let Uncharted die, as a diehard fan myself I hope they will still output some minor adventures during some dead period.
Their focus right now is of course TLoU 2.
I hope they move from Chloe and maybe throw us some Sam Drake experience.
Never stood Chloe, never ever.

PS: TLL is a well packed game, has some exciting moments but that’s it. It still has its value imho.

Wiped89

The open areas were NOT welcome and can fuck off back to other game series where they belong. I almost gave up on TIL because of the wretched Chapter 4, and I've played every Uncharted about 5 times.

The rest of the game is brilliant but not the open section. That was the worst.

ND are at their creative best when they do something new. Plus, I think they've extensively explored the Uncharted IP by now anyway.

Z..

ND are at their creative best when they do something new. Plus, I think they've extensively explored the Uncharted IP by now anyway.

Not sure that's an assessment that can be made considering TloU (and Jak 1, to a certain extent) is the only example that actually matches what you said. Uncharted 1 is highly inferior to 2/3/4, Crash 2 and 3 are much better games than Crash 1 and even Jak 1 which is clearly superior to it's sequels isn't a very creative game in any sense of the word, despite being good.

Rick1o1

I'd rather they leave the franchise alone for a few years and come back with it on a possible ps5. Give it some room to breath.

PaulBizkit

I always hated that I came into this franchise when Uncharted 3 released, because that same year I played 1 and 2, then the ps4 was announced and just as I hopped into the Uncharted Bandwaggon, they announce Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End and I'm like, damn, I came so late to the party...

Full Trilogy with Chloe, pls. Nobody's stopping them and they had a good intro to go 3 times.

Wouldn't that resemble the new Tomb Raider games too much? I mean, I'm playing TR2013 and it feels like an Uncharted game (in the good way, i'm loving it
LTTP coming in the next few weeks

Top Bottom