• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States Grand Prix |OT| Formula 1 Returns to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Got a Grosjean autograph earlier, he was eating at the airport with Boullier. He left trash in his wake when he left, as he often does on track.

dubc35

Got a Grosjean autograph earlier, he was eating at the airport with Boullier. He left trash in his wake when he left, as he often does on track.

Did he bump into a bunch of people when he got up and walked away? That's how I would imagine it.

I thought the shuttles were terrific but then again I was going to the airport lot.

As for beer, ya it sucks but the prices were not that far off of prices at other major sporting events and the selection was better, NASCAR race I was at last week only had domestic swill. I didn't buy any though (yay for bringing my own!).

Airport shuttles were fannntassstic. I was in and out of the parking lots quick and easy and there were barely lines at all. I don't really keep up with F1 but I had a great time there this weekend. Can't wait for April when MotoGP comes down.

I thought the shuttles were terrific but then again I was going to the airport lot.

As for beer, ya it sucks but the prices were not that far off of prices at other major sporting events and the selection was better, NASCAR race I was at last week only had domestic swill. I didn't buy any though (yay for bringing my own!).

I was in the airport lot as well, which was fantastic the first two days.

For some reason on the third we were one of the worst lines.

AcridMeat

Banned
Great race to watch, just finished. So happy to see that high five gif'd, was laughing hard at that.

We got excitement going into a great circuit, happy for it. Vettel will still win it, but still!

Mobius 1

Not quite, I'm working on a writeup of my time at the event, and then sometime this week (maybe Friday if I can't find good wifi here in Austin) pictures from race day!

There is WiFi even in the buses, you're covered. I'm also planning on relating my experience on the circuit, but I am not a good writer so it will be a dump of broken English.

None the less, great weekend. My only regret was carrying a DSLR around when I didn't get any real good photos, at least nothing that someone else did and can easily be found on the web.

Nuklear

Banned
I fell asleep half way through the BBC highlights so I've only just caught up with the rest. Pretty dull race, but it's great to see the championship going down to the last race, especially with a chance of rain.

It was a pretty exiting race. I think the Austin race track is very very good! Kudos to the people who designed it!

It was a pretty exiting race. I think the Austin race track is very very good! Kudos to the people who designed it!

I've no issue with the track, it looks fine (although I really don't like how shamelessly derivative it is). By the standard of the last ten years, the race was 'eventful', but really F1 got in such a dire situation in that time entertainment-wise that you can't really call that a positive benchmark. Compared to the first half this season, it was pretty, pretty dull.

If it had been Alonso chasing down Vettel instead of Hamilton, that would have helped though. At this point in the season, it's really all about the championship for me. The only real surprise in that regard for the whole race was Alonso making the start that he did.

I absolutely relish the possibility of the championship being decided in a downpour at Brazil though. Hopefully the rain actually happens at it levels the playing field a bit between Alonso and Vettel, so we're left with a situation in which the championship can go either way for the majority of the race.

Chris R

OK so here is my little write up of the events last weekend.

The shuttle system to and from the track was terrific, at least for the Airport location. Never had to wait to get on a shuttle and the ride was short. Eventually they should get the entire walkway (and the rest of the track) fully paved making it an even easier walk than it was.

I thought that the track location was great, rolling hillside all over central texas made for great viewing for the most part from pretty much anywhere at the track. Only bummer about my seat was that there was a taller guy infront of me and the seats were shallow enough that he blocked a portion of T12 from my view. Then the VIP suites in T13 and T2 blocked part of T1-3... They should just relocate all the VIP suites to the outside of T1!

Food and drink were pretty expensive but I was expecting that so I planned accordingly. Great to see smaller options available for food, would love to see more local food trucks and local beverage options in the future. The Korean BBQ Nachos I had were terrific! More options in general would help fight the line issues too (I never stood in line for coffee, but to hear that the Krispy Kreme truck behind T12 ran out of everything AGAIN and again was kinda silly).

The support races were decent, but need to be better for the next event. Seeing the historic F1 cars was fun, but I didn't bother to stick around to watch them "race" since I knew there wasn't going to be actual racing involved when the cars are worth as much as those are. Similar thoughts about the Ferrari races. The GT3 race was fun to watch but would have been better if it was for points!

The stuff leading up to the race looked nice, and seeing Michael try to get his Mustang running was great, but if you weren't on the main straight there was no point in the marching band. Maybe they forgot to pipe the sound out to the rest of the track?

Nothing I'll say about the race that wasn't already said. Terrific from basically every aspect (and the crowd around me was great to watch with as well, very into F1 and mostly from the USA outside of one couple from Japan and one from Australia) Loved seeing Lewis reel Seb in lap after lap, and the track was slick enough that there was basically always something happening in the twisty bit after T12. Would love to see a non 1 stop race though :p
bring back refueling!

Only thing I'd like to see is maybe give the non-GA people who attend the race a single ticket they could use to get up the tower. Would have loved to get to the top of that thing, but not for $35. Also, a better handeling of foot traffic over the various bridges over the track, shouldn't take 45 mins to get from T15 to T1.

Long story short, can't wait to be back (most likely in 2014, but if I can get cheap hotel/airflight down here for next year I might just roll GA tickets and only stay for the weekend). Austin seems like an awesome place, loving my stay here beyond the race so far. Torchy's is tasty! But nobody told me how big the tacos were...

Shaneus

Great impressions! Definitely wouldn't mind making a trip for it as a once-off thing (rather than making it a part of a lengthy holiday). Were hotels etc. jacked up beforehand?

Some of my pics from the GP. It was an awesome weekend.

Album of some more pics http://imgur.com/a/Qzyyl

NdCH9l.jpg

V8q36l.jpg

3WwfFl.jpg

la5rXl.jpg

flhA6l.jpg

eSGfsl.jpg

Nice shots. They have a real "other worldly" feel to them.

Bus is definitely going for P1! :p The pics look cool, thanks for sharing them.

Thanks! I love shooting in RAW and fucking around in post with photoshop. I always keep some pics that simply document an occasion but most of the time I like to choose only a few that i consider interesting. I also love playibg with the subtle tilt shift effect. Works awesome with race tracks and cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom