• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficial Tales of Translation Updates Thread: Fans bring us what Namco can't

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Someone has news of Cless from.Phantasian Productions? He kinda vanished...

I used to communicate pretty regularly with him but haven't seen him around all too much. Hope he is doing well, and if he's reading this, send me a msg, dude! :)

pje122

cave.png

Datschge

Supposedly, it's still being worked on, but hasn't came out yet.

If they can get done Tempest, i don't see why Rebirth can't.
ToD DC comes first though, so expect to wait a couple further years. Tempest was short enough as a gag project which is how it happened. I guess the only way to speed it up would be more translators helping out.

pje122

a0t said:
I can’t do this anymore
This is not an easy post to write, but it’s important that I level with all of you. I suspect that some of you probably saw this coming, but for others it will certainly be an unpleasant surprise. I was always adamant that it would never come to this and so I hope you all know that this comes at the end of a lot of soul-searching. Over the past several years, I’ve found it incredibly difficult to find the time and energy to make the kind of progress that I want to on my projects. I’ve tried various methods to motivate myself, only to find myself slipping back into lethargy before long. The root problem remains – with my free time greatly diminished from my student days, it’s very difficult to dedicate the necessary resources to these projects. Couple that with the fact that my passion for the Tales series just isn’t what it used to be (I haven’t really enjoyed one of the games since Graces) and I’m sure you can see how we end up where we are today. I’ve considered my options and concluded that it’s not right for me to continue holding these projects hostage when someone else could be making real progress on them. That’s why, effective immediately, I’m bringing on someone to share in the translation burden with me.

Yes, it’s very difficult for me to let go of even a portion of these projects, but I think it’s necessary for these projects to make strides forward again. In the past, I have expressed concern that having multiple translators introduces the risk of inconsistent character voices and style. That still remains a concern for me, which is why the person I’ve asked to help is ruta from the Tales of Vesperia PS3 project. She has experience working with blending scripts and adapting to different styles and most importantly she really loves Tales of Destiny. Behind the scenes, our team has had regular contact with ruta since the old pre-localization Tales of Graces project and whether she knew it or not, I had always planned on convincing her to help with the extensive testing and editing process. So the only thing that’s really changing is that we’re getting her involved in the project earlier and in a larger role than originally planned. Kingcom has been working on multiplatform support for some of his tools to ensure that she’s got everything she needs. It may take a bit to get up to speed as ruta gets used to my style and our tools and refamiliarizes herself with the game (AKA replays it), but it will most certainly be worth it in the end. We’ll share more details when there are details worth sharing.

Sorry to those of you who celebrated the suggestion of my early retirement, but for better or worse, I’ll be here until the job is done. Hopefully ruta’s contributions will give the Tales of Destiny project (and me) a much needed kick in the ass.

Datschge

Heh, that's great writing making good news seem like bad news at first. So hopefully *not* just an April 1st thing. ^^

Aeana

Their idea if April fools was to release a complete fan translation if a bad game, once. Bringing a new translator on is probably real and great news.

pje122

Time is flying lately. I can’t believe it’s already May. After several months of less-translating-than-I-wanted happening, I’m getting back into the swing of things. That being said, I’m just getting back into it. I’m starting to work my way through act 2 of ToDR at a pace that is neither breakneck or leisurely. I’m hopeful for May. May is looking good.

I had originally planned to talk a bit about a back-end system that Kingcom is working on for the project (or rather, make Kingcom talk about it), but we hit a bit of a snag, so that will have to wait until its ready for prime time.

Ruta has access to our translation tools now, but we don’t quite have her able to patch and test in-game yet. The first step is for her to re-familiarize herself with the material and get used to my style. Hopefully she’ll be able to begin work in earnest before long (even if that just means playing the game at first).

pje122

Current Focus: Tales of Destiny R main story

May went really well. I got a whole lot of translating done, particularly in the early part of the month. As of the beginning of May, I had only just started on the second act. I hadn’t yet finished the initial events with Stahn’s family in Lienea. Since then, I cruised through gathering up the team and uncovering the further machinations of the game’s villains. At this point, I’m at the midpoint of the initial Aethersphere assault. I would be a little further, but that I was a little under-leveled for, so I’m having to grind a bit before I continue.

In other news, Kingcom made some more progress on that crucial back-end system, Kaji worked on tweaking some of text and visuals on the menus, and ruta got the rest of the tools working on her end. All in all it was one of the more productive months we’ve had in a while. My hope is to finish up translating the second act story events in the next few weeks. Still a little ways to go, but if I can keep up my average pace as of late, I should manage.

pje122

Whoops, I’m a little late on this post. My goal was to complete act 2’s story translation in early June, but I ended up falling just short of finishing it off. That being said, it was still an incredibly productive month and I’m very happy with the progress that was made. For my part, I translated Deimos, Rodeon, and Helraios and I started poking at Mikheil. I got a little stalled on my progression because I’m still underleveled (and not that good at the game). Need to grind up a bit one of these days. In addition to the translation progress, Kajitani-Eizan was busy this month helping to squash bugs. He finally tracked down and eliminated a long-standing display bug that had a chance to trigger on treasure chests containing gald, food, or lens. We also identified a crash in a boss fight caused by an enemy having too many resistances. Our fix was to change the targeting menu in battle from listing the resistances in text (like Slash, Shot, Fire) to using the same icons that are used in both the Enemy Book in the menu and are displayed in the Arte descriptions. In my opinion, this change is a big improvement not just for internal consistency, but also for presentation.

BattleHUD.png

So that you can manage expectations, I am not expecting July to be very productive for translation. June was a pretty busy month for me and I need some down time.

pje122

At long, long, long last the story translation for Stahn’s Side is complete. This doesn’t mean the project is complete, mind you – even the translation is far from finished. In addition to the necessary edits on the story script, there are still the additional events for Leon’s Side, not to mention the countless lines of untranslated NPC and side quest text. But nonetheless, this is a big step forward.

The draft translation now includes a fully translated menu, fully translated skits, and a complete translation of the Stahn’s Side story events. This should make future playthroughs much more tolerable and will let me refine the story text as I work on the rest of it. Of course adding new content to the game also presents opportunities for bugs, but fortunately Kingcom and Kaji have been diligent about knocking those out as we go.

Kingcom is hoping to have a working implementation of the duplicate database in the near future. Once he does, my intent is to attack the dungeons first. Because of the way that Destiny structured some of its dungeons, the exact same text is repeated in every room of some dungeons. Being able to just translate it once will be a major boon.

Top Bottom