• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficial Tales of Translation Updates Thread: Fans bring us what Namco can't

Pics_nao

Wait a minute... They're translating ToPX? I'm assuming that also means NDX right? Easily my favorite game in the series and I've put in over 500 hours in the first 6 or 7 months of its release.

Ties

Banned
tales of fan translations take a millenia to release like the vanilla hearts patch has been in development for over 5 years now

I'm still bummed about Tales of Hearts DS :(

Given that the ToHR localization is a total shitshow, and that a0t is happy to work on a Phantasia patch despite there technically being an English-language release of that game, I would be very surprised if they didn't come back to it in a year or so.

It is a super bummer, though. After yesterday, Tales of Hearts is now literally the only DS game I am still waiting on a translation patch for.

Wait a minute... They're translating ToPX? I'm assuming that also means NDX right? Easily my favorite game in the series and I've put in over 500 hours in the first 6 or 7 months of its release.

It does mean both, and throughhim413's claim at announcement was that NDX will probably be done first.

(Which I appreciate, because NDX is a game with no extant English version, whereas I'll be damned if I need yet another way to play Phantasia.)

Shouta

What is this referring to?

See dakku's link but basically, it's a loc mess from translation to programming. It looks like they had some random tech translators and a super rookie director/manager doing it instead of translators who are focused on content and management that knows what's going on.

koutoru

Both throughhim413 and Kajitani-Eizan wrote pretty unhappy posts about the quality of the Hearts R localization.
After reading these posts, I'm starting to wonder if anyone involved with this localization's script has actually played a Tales of game before.

I don't know who exactly worked on this script but Namco Bandai need to take a good long look at the current state of this localization because consistency was just thrown out the window for this one.

FSLink

Banned
Wow. I had no idea it was that bad. Namco really went the cheap route with this one being on Vita. It's so sad. Now I'm wondering if I still should get it.

Seriously we should be talking more about this. Was #JRPGVita really a success if it has such a cheap translation? I think that's worth a discussion topic here. I'd make it myself but I don't have the time to make the OP organized.

Glad to see ToPX getting progress. Hopefully we hear more about it and NDX soon. Also I hope we get a revisit to Hearts DS.

Rpgmonkey

Both throughhim413 and Kajitani-Eizan wrote pretty unhappy posts about the quality of the Hearts R localization.

Interesting read. I knew Kohak and Hisui (understandably) became Amber and Jadeite in Graces, but I didn't know that they were switching them back to Kohaku and Hisui (maybe it's more likely the people translating/editing were never made aware of this change to begin with?). It makes all the confusion about the Shing->Kor change more understandable now, besides the whole Japanese voice only thing.

I think I remember them saying they weren't that interested in bringing it over initially, so I had a feeling they were going to try to keep costs down when they could, but the quality and level of consistency with Tales localizations seems lower than I expected. I think Hearts has a pretty decent story (the DS version anyway), it would suck if a wonky translation makes the original writing seem worse than it actually is.

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad. Namco really went the cheap route with this one being on Vita. It's so sad.

It's honestly kind of painful reading the team's post about how they're putting the ToH translation on ice to give this game a chance to succeed and then immediately after both of their posts about what an awful job Namco is doing with it. :/

FSLink

Banned
Now I am genuinely concerned about this game. I had known about Kor before but I had no idea that it had run this deep. The most unfortunate thing is that I will buy this because it's my only option. Argh!

Yeah it's making me want to consider skipping getting it. :/
#JRPGVita really deserves a better localization than what we've seen so far.

Maybe they should consider starting up work on the DS translation again? I understand they don't want to step on the toes of R's potential sales, but Hearts has a pretty cool story and it would suck if English players were stuck with an awful translation.

Foffy

Banned
Maybe they should consider starting up work on the DS translation again? I understand they don't want to step on the toes of R's potential sales, but Hearts has a pretty cool story and it would suck if English players were stuck with an awful translation.

I have a friend who is pretty purist on official releases and doesn't dig fan translations at any level. I think he would probably defend the lack of effort Namco is doing with "well, at least we're getting the game," which to me seems to be willing to accept mediocrity. Seriously, knowing the game doesn't have a dub...why in the fuck does the main character have a totally different name?

It bothers the shit out of me knowing someone was translating Hearts for free and yet the official release Namco is doing has none of the heart (pun intended), effort, or dedication to consistency that the fan project was offering. It looks like a really, really rushed project, and what for? If more people see it as a lazy effort, that risks more people not buying it, and is that what Namco wants?

I have a friend who is pretty purist on official releases and doesn't dig fan translations at any level. I think he would probably defend the lack of effort Namco is doing with "well, at least we're getting the game," which to me seems to be willing to accept mediocrity. Seriously, knowing the game doesn't have a dub...why in the fuck does the main character have a totally different name?

It bothers the shit out of me knowing someone was translating Hearts for free and yet the official release Namco is doing has none of the heart (pun intended), effort, or dedication to consistency that the fan project was offering. It looks like a really, really rushed project, and what for? If more people see it as a lazy effort, that risks more people not buying it, and is that what Namco wants?

It sounds like they never wanted to do it in the first place, but #JRPGVita convinced them to throw a cheap project together and see if they can get any sort of profit from it.

And the Tales fanbase has been so starved for localizations all these years I doubt many people will care as long as they can play the game in some sort of English. I think its really sad since Hearts really deserves better (I consider the original one of the best modern Tales). Situations like this make me feel glad that I decided to start learning Japanese close to two years ago. Anyways, I hope that someday the DS project is revived so people will have a better outlet to experience Hearts in English.

Maybe they should consider starting up work on the DS translation again?

They only ever said it was on hiatus, and I'm confident they kept all their work to date, but they're not going to say anything about still working on it even if they decide to do so eventually.

Given that a0t has so many other projects in the queue anyway, it wouldn't really hurt to double down on Phantasia, get that out, and then go back to Hearts in a year or two when the remake has already sold 99.9% of its US LTD.

hmmmm, a bit off topic, but whats the general consensus of danganronpa official english version vs the fan translation?

The official release is quite good. What I played of the fan translation was definitely solid.

I'm pretty sure they will finish the project eventually, especially when Hearts r comes out and still has a garbage translation. I imagine they'll finish NDX and maybe Phantasia X before going back to hearts.

Foffy

Banned
And no one will ever finish Destiny 2, Destiny R, or Rebirth. :/

Aren't those in production? I know Rebirth is being undertaken by a major task; an English and Italian translation for a simultaneous release between PS2 and PSP. No shit that's gonna take awhile.

The Destiny stuff though...yeah, been in the work for life six years. Reminds me of the Shin Megami Tensei fan translations still in limbo.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll be sure to get hyped to play this patch in 2022.

Pics_nao

Was recently wondering about the Destiny translation too. I still need to import that to finally play all the main Tales games.

What ever happened to the Rebirth translation? Cancelled?

Aeana

It sounds like they've got the kinks worked out. Phantasian Productions relegated to a support role, a new debugger for PCSX2. Restarting the translation doesn't sound like as big of a deal as it seems, since it sounds like they mostly had menu translations done and very little script, if any. I'm surprised to see him say that even 2015 is optimistic, considering the pace I've seen from him in the past, but it's definitely a good idea to overestimate, especially when people have been yanked around with a particular project enough already.

I'm finally confident in the project's future.

Datschge

I'm surprised to see him say that even 2015 is optimistic.
throughhim413 likes to give regular updates but has to contain any potential for hysterical outside expectations. Being overly pessimistic is the best way to go about it. ;) Considering Kingcom is doing the programming I hope for a smooth ride (and a quick confirmation that both will also handle Rebirth and Destiny 2 after this one is completed =P).

It sounds like they've got the kinks worked out. Phantasian Productions relegated to a support role, a new debugger for PCSX2. Restarting the translation doesn't sound like as big of a deal as it seems, since it sounds like they mostly had menu translations done and very little script, if any. I'm surprised to see him say that even 2015 is optimistic, considering the pace I've seen from him in the past, but it's definitely a good idea to overestimate, especially when people have been yanked around with a particular project enough already.

I'm finally confident in the project's future.

This

No offense to Cless or the PP team, but they seem to be cursed with bad luck, considering their fan translation started years before A0T's was even a concept and finished years after A0T's translation of the same game was out... Yikes

Throughim and Kingcom are a great team and should lead all Tales fan translations because they get stuff done and done very well

It is like almost impossible for me to describe how blah I am on ToPX. :/

a new debugger for PCSX2.

This is fantastic news even putting aside the Tales games in particular -- there are a bunch of PS2 games that could probably become feasible translation projects now with that tool.

Why? Is it another bad port?

Well it's the best Tales of Phantasia port out there.

It's also like its 4th port of the game and we already have most of the previous ports already translated anyway in one way or another.

In all honestly, I rather wish they gave more focus on Narikiri Dungeon X instead of yet another Phantasia.

Datschge

Why? Is it another bad port?
It's the one that remade the battles to be playable by today's Tales standards (no more spell pauses for one).

I think Throughim wants to do it as he's already familiar with the stuff involved (story and likely file structure as well) which should make it a theoretically easier project than one starting from zero.

Top Bottom