• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficial Tales of Translation Updates Thread: Fans bring us what Namco can't

Firestorm

All games were updated.

33wbggw.jpg

Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2)
Translation Team: Phantasian Productions + Absolute Zero
Original Released: January 31st, 2008
Translation Announced: January 1st, 2009
Latest Update (April 1st, 2009):
Cless said:
I still would have prefered not to reveal Tales of Destiny Director's Cut when we did. Although I've tried to provide a reasonable time frame for the menu patch release, it's not going to happen quite that soon. I'm busy with Tales of Phantasia, so I can't edit the current translations, and though throughhim413 manages to do some translation work on it now and then, he's also a bit bogged down by his Tales of Innocence project.

We're trying. Sometimes we simply get burned out. Hell, I've collected a backlog of over a hundred video games in the last several years, and sometimes I like to play them with my free time. :p

x1hw1j.jpg

Tales of Innocence (NDS)
Translation Team: Absolute Zero
Original Released: December 6th, 2007
Translation Announced: July 14th, 2008
Latest Update (April 2nd, 2009):

Since the last update, a lot of editing and a little translating has happened. The main events are somewhere around 30% edited. All current skits have also been edited, so we’re looking at something like 15% there. It’s worth noting that at least one more round of editing is going to be needed in the end. Spada and Hermana are still fighting me on their accents now and then, so until those are completely settled, I really can’t call the edited files complete. Well, it’ll all be sorted out in the end.

On the translation front, things are moving, but slowly. I’m still kind of putting off skits. I’m working on them, but they don’t go as quickly as the events. Likewise, it’s hard to get really into translating summary files since they’re somewhat dry. Well, they’ll be done when they’re done. Pushing myself to work on them when I don’t feel like it really doesn’t help. Believe me, I’ve tried.

We’re still on track for our summer release. These days its looking more like late summer than early summer, but that all depends on how inspired I get. Much though I would love to dedicate all of my time to this project, school still takes priority. Plus if I don’t take a break now and then, I’ll lose my mind.

So there you have it.

Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2)
25ptlq1.jpg

Translation Team: Phantasian Productions
Original Released: November 28th, 2002
Translation Announced: April 30th, 2006
Latest Update (April 2nd, 2009):
The Tales of Destiny 2 menu text translation is actually finished now, thanks to tammaiya. She finished it about a month ago, but as I'm so busy with ToP, and with that being my highest priority, I haven't had the time to work on it. To try speeding things up a little, I'm going to try having someone do the grunt work of adding and formatting her work to the master files. I'm probably still going to want to review and edit it before I actually release the "final" menu patch, though.

2wg87js.jpg

Tales of Phantasia (PSX)
Translation Team: Phantasian Productions
Original Released: December 23rd, 1998
Translation Announced: ???
Latest Update (January 1st, 2009):
April Fools' Day tends to be pretty annoying. So, in spite of the rest of the Internet, and that we've even put up a horrible joke in the past, I'm posting a real news update on the front page today. It's been a little while and the Tales of Destiny announcement is ancient by this point, and frankly, it's bothering me every time I load this page.

I've been talking about it on front page updates for awhile, so it's about time I finally get that long overdue Tales of Phantasia update out of the way, for those who don't bother reading the news forum. Before I talk about it though, why don't I post some new screenshots? Hot off the press; not even forum readers have seen them. Dialogue screenshots even, based on the in-progress third pass of the script edit. Nearly all previous dialogue screens released publicly were from before any serious editing began.

These are all from the first few hours of the game. As usual, all text is still subject to change by the time it's finally released. When the script truly reaches its final stages, I will be doing a bit more manual formatting of the text to help make some of it look a little better.

[ Crapton of images http://www.tales-cless.org/ ]

The main focus of this year and last year has been script work. The translation was finished last year in late July. Nusakan0 joined the team as main script editor in the same month. Nusakan0 began submitting edits to the script in September and finished the first draft in December. He finished the second draft in February.

After reviewing and approving the second draft, I started testing it in-game, with the goal of ensuring the script is a smooth, natural read. Some things include catching any flow problems and previously undetected translation issues, and some general rewriting to make things more believable in English. This whole process has been a lot larger than I anticipated, and I've actually found myself rewriting countless lines of dialogue; I'm pretty sure I've rewritten around 50% of the lines I've come across. I'm still working on it at the moment, and I'm around 70% through it. I've done far more than I expected, and now consider this to be the third editing pass even though I'm not the main editor. That said, Nusakan0 asked me to provide him a copy of my third pass as I had it at around 50% complete, so he has been getting a head start on the fourth.

I really like how the script is turning out. I'd like to believe it's nearing completion, but we continually get new ideas every time we go over it. A fun fact is that with our edits considered, the script has so far become nearly 10% larger than it was since it was translated. The script was very dry and fairly awkward before we started editing it. A lot of it didn't even make sense if you put a bit of extra thought into it. With all this considered, I hope the final turns out well enough to stand up there with the best the fan translation scene has to offer.

The skit subtitle script is also being edited quite a bit, though it hasn't received as much work as the main script yet. Nusakan0 completed the first edit pass back on New Year's Day. I believe he has done some work on the second. Several months ago I posted a video with a bunch of skit subs in action. Since it's old (and was also made before Nusakan0's first edit pass), quite a few of the more poorly-written lines have since been fixed.

The battle voice clips have been translated and subtitles for them have been inserted. Many of them are in need of editing and double-checking though, as quite a few of them are pretty awkward and might be victims of no context and/or have been misheard.

Habilain's been pretty busy lately, but has provided quite a few assembly hacks since the last front page update:

* GROOVY Arche minigame improvements: Text is variable-width, some layout cleanups, and a very minor bug (that affects the original game) was fixed with the RATE display
* World Map menu enhancement: All the shop and town names were originally represented with graphics in the World Map menu. This presented several problems (annoying to update if we wanted to change the name of something, limited palette, 12 pixel height limitation, one shop name is an arte name which couldn't be affected by the arte name selector). I wanted to use the dialogue font in these places, but said problems made it difficult to have it look good (height limitation forced us to cut off outlines, limited palette forced an ugly brown outline and no gradient). Habilain did a very extensive hack to change this to REAL text, rendered by the game's actual text routine, eliminating every single problem we had. Because it deserves mentioning, Habilain fought very hard with this hack to get it working on real systems. The problem was a real bastard to track down and it took five major code revisions to get it working properly--ouch!
* Five lines a in a textbox: An increase from four lines, the extra line has made a huge difference for the script. With four lines, countless dialogue pages had to be split into two pages in order to fit. With five lines, only *one* page in the entire game needs to be split. In addition, the vertical space between the lines has been decreased by 3 pixels (down to 13 pixels from 16) as the font we're using doesn't really call for that much vertical space anyway. With that, the text box only had to have its height increased by 4 pixels to the fit the fifth line in comfortably. The text box at the top of the screen was moved up four pixels so that the added height doesn't obstruct the intended viewing area. Another option would have been to use a thinner font, but I don't think a thin dialogue font suits this game very well.

Habilain also created a tool which made it much easier to insert the skit script.

I implemented a couple things myself:

* I applied the 13px height to the menu text routine as well, which affects all other text in the game, including voice subtitles. I redid some description window cosmetics because the big version of the item name and such can now fit there again. The inverted arte name (i.e. showing the romanized name if you're in localized arte name mode) no longer appears in artes menu descriptions. It just seemed pointless with the arte name selector (it was mainly only there as a reference).
* Remember those crazy difficulty modes I added to the game (for second playthroughs and above)? Well, I decided that it would be best to make them a little more rewarding and less cumbersome. For your trouble, winning a battle in the added "Unknown" difficulty adds a 5x experience earned multiplier. A battle won in "God" difficulty earns 10x experience. The battles tend to drag on since the enemies have so much HP in these modes, and the 1x EXP rate just makes it feel like they're not worth the trouble trying to play. The original three difficulties do not have added EXP multipliers or any other bonuses; they function as they do in the original game. Regardless, the new modes are still beyond difficult with this addition...

On the technical front, this is what remains to be done:

* One skit is currently impossible to subtitle, because the game locks up if you add any new scripting commands to it. Added scripting commands are necessary so that it can be subtitled properly. I think Habilain has an idea of how to work around it, but he hasn't had the time to implement it yet.
* Adding subtitles to the little voice clips scattered around on map events (with no accompanying text box), and also for GROOVY Arche. Habilain isn't too sure how easy or difficult it will be to add them to these yet, though. If he finds it too annoying, they may not make it in.
* Update to the prologue battle subs hack (nothing that really matters to the players; just a hack that'll let us include the battle subtitles text into the main voice subtitles text block)
* Text centering in dialogue windows, without using silly work-arounds.
* Automatic text formatting in game code. An external software text formatter is currently being used, but in-game code can be more dynamic and will work better with variable-length words (like character names. External formatter can only parse them as the maximum possible length without causing display problems).
* A couple more text commands that can improve grammar in dynamic strings.

Aside from the skit issue, the rest of these are just gravy, and not completely necessary. Some of the others may not make it into the final. It'd be great if they could, though!

A few non-dialogue screens representative of current progress:

[ even more screens ]

So, aside from the few technical things that need finished, it's really just about getting the scripts to a level we're all completely satisfied with. I still haven't received edits to the menu text yet, either. With some luck, it won't be too much longer until they're submitted. I'll continue pushing for this project to conclude within THIS half of the year.

Datschge

Nitpick: You used the ToP SFC logo, the logo of later ToP versions was modified (wider text, no phonetics behind the text):
213qlc9.jpg

Firestorm

np guys =D
cartman414 said:
Any chance they'll be working on the PSP versions of ToD2 and ToP?
Nope.

In response to this question on cress' site:
What about the PSP version?

The PSP version uses a new standard of compression that isn't compatible with our tools. The only reason a full translation of the PS2 version is possible is because it uses the same exact compression scheme as used in Tales of Phantasia PSX.

Unless the new compression in the PSP version is cracked, don't bet on a translation project happening for it...

Doh. I sure hope PSP translations won't be too far off soon, not just because of any enhancements, but also that in the case of ToD2, it would be more accessible than the PS2 version.

Firestorm

Tales of Innocence
Menu Preview
By throughhim413 • April 15, 2009

At long last, a new video has arrived!

Kingcom and I are both getting back into full gear on Tales of Innocence and to celebrate the event, we decided to post up a new video. This video shows off most of the menu content and layout. You’ve seen it before in screenshots, but we hope that this video will really give you a sense of what you can expect when you play our patch. As always, please keep in mind that the translations seen here are not yet final. I’m fully aware that there are still some awkward descriptions and names in there. I’m totally open to suggestions and corrections, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7ojB9uNNI

Big thanks to everyone who has continued to support us and cheer us on! This project is bigger (and longer!) than I ever expected it to be, but thanks to everyone out there, it has never stopped being fun. We’re working our hardest to make sure that we can provide you with the absolute best experience possible as soon as we can. Until next time!

Firestorm

Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut is on hiatus.
throughhim413 said:
This project is officially on hiatus until Tales of Innocence is complete on our end and Tales of Phantasia is complete on Phantasian Productions' end. We want to ensure that the current projects are given all the time and energy they need to reach their full potential. Apologies for the delay, but I truly believe this is for the best in the long run.

Cless said:
Both throughhim and I have projects that are nearing completion (Tales of Innocence and Tales of Phantasia, respectively), and both of us have decided it would be best to officially put Tales of Destiny Director's Cut on hiatus. At this critical moment for our other projects, we need to give them our undivided attention so as to ensure they are getting the treatment they need and deserve for the final releases.

I'm targeting sometime within the next couple months with Phantasia, and throughhim's targeting the end of summer with Innocence (but needs at least a few months off from ToD). I also kind of want to get the ToD2 menu patch out of the way since ToD2's menu translation was finished. We'll get back to ToD DC as soon as possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
holy crap stop talking about what you're doing or not doing and just do it already

i just read a news article about a guy who walked on foot from germany to china and it took him 2 years. just to contextualize how long tales of phantasia has been worked on.

Lucis

Stumpokapow said:
holy crap stop talking about what you're doing or not doing and just do it already

i just read a news article about a guy who walked on foot from germany to china and it took him 2 years. just to contextualize how long tales of phantasia has been worked on.

And you could probably have learned enough Japanese to play these RPGs in their original language in 2 years.

MechaX

I remembered that my roommate jokingly said that I should drop wherever I was in Phantasia, delete my saves, and wait for Cless' patch to come out so I can play the game that way. So, just curious. What is the overwhelming advantage that this Phantasia patch has over the other patch that was released?

kiryogi

Banned
MechaX said:
I remembered that my roommate jokingly said that I should drop wherever I was in Phantasia, delete my saves, and wait for Cless' patch to come out so I can play the game that way. So, just curious. What is the overwhelming advantage that this Phantasia patch has over the other patch that was released?

No offense to Cless, but at the rate they've been going on that patch. You really should just finish it off. I think it some text translations amongst other things. Can't say I really kept tabs on it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
At this point, I'm looking forward to ToI more. We've got one solid way of playing ToP in English already, and two less solid ways. I'm not exactly aching for a fourth way.

kiryogi

Banned
Here we go:

"Well, even throughhim more or less has admitted to not being anywhere near happy with his translation of ToP (not to mention that there's a total lack of editing in his patch). The PP patch is currently closely synchronized with ToS continuity, franchise terminology and some pre-existing official ToP terminology (GBA/Anime, but with certain adjustments here"

"Cless is doing some technical touches too"

"Subtitling battle yells winquotes and stuff
And that thing in the monster book. Also aestheticy stuff he posts on the boards"

xemumanic

The Longest-live patched effort ever finally has some kind of release and NeoGAF doesn't notice......................yet.

This is new thread worthy IMO.

BluWacky

cress2000 said:
This thread kind of died.

Well, only because of a lack of news. Innocence is nearing completion and throughhim has understandably clammed up because of the constant pestering. And with all due respect I don't think anyone's really that interested in the Phantasia PSX patch any more, although it looks like you've done an absolutely sterling job. The other projects have so little news on them it's not really worth getting excited about at present.

People may be interested to know there's now a Tales of Hearts project in progress - it seems to have sprung out of the GBATemp boards which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as most projects from there don't go very far, but I suppose we can cross our fingers. A quick Google also reveals that someone's translated the whole event script of the game separately (it needs an edit pass or two but looks competent at least), so if anyone wants to play old school style with a script next to them I guess they can!

(speaking of which, anyone reading this need a script editor? Editing is one of my favourite things in the whole wide world...)

Firestorm

I should find the time to update.

As far as Symphonia goes, you can pick up a used GCN + the game for about the original price of the game alone. I'd just go do that instead.

Rpgmonkey

Forgot they were trying with Rebirth. About time someone bothered with it.

It needed a translation patch badly thanks to so much stuff having some kind of effect on the gameplay in that game.

Paracelsus

xero273 said:
Don't know if anyone cares about tales anymore :lol , but the team doing ToG translation will also be do PS3 ToV translation.

I'd trade almost the entire PS3 third party support because of overflowhatever for a chance to play the last three mothership Tales (including Xillia) in english.

pje122

Sooooooooooo...... is anything going on with these...? Particularly ToD? I want to be able to play that one so bad...

Paracelsus said:
I'd trade almost the entire PS3 third party support because of overflowhatever for a chance to play the last three mothership Tales (including Xillia) in english.
just get a 360 and play vesperia on that

MechaX

pje122 said:
Sooooooooooo...... is anything going on with these...? Particularly ToD? I want to be able to play that one so bad...

You're probably not going to get much progress on ToD or ToD2. But there is a wiki that has (mostly completed) translations of story events and skits for ToD. Rebirth and Hearts have text translations floating around but will probably not get patches in the foreseeable future (ie, ever).

The ToV PS3 patch is going pretty well... but from the looks of it, you'll have to mod your PS3 to play it and I think it's a one-way street and would screw that console out of PSN (but don't quote me on that).

pje122

So sad... at this point who gives a shit about Phantasia or Vesperia... translate Destiny PS2! Seems like its bound to be off-limits forever to non-Japanese speakers... what a crock of shit.

Caring person here ..it's cool that they have news and that the project is more coherent ..
BUt that's it .. MOst of us are ...waiting

Ultratech

Yeah, hopefully they'll get the ToDr Menu Patch out sometime this year. (Hopefully...I have my doubts though.)

As for a complete Story Translation...no telling how long that'll take. (Maybe a year or two?)

Grzi

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems it has already been bumped recently, so it should be all good.

Anyway, I just found out that a Tales of Rebirth translation project has started recently, so I thought I'd share. It seems this has been going on for two years or so, but the web page has been opened recently. The images look good, and it's a multi language translation. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.talesofrebirth.altervista.org/

pje122

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems it has already been bumped recently, so it should be all good.

Anyway, I just found out that a Tales of Rebirth translation project has started recently, so I thought I'd share. It seems this has been going on for two years or so, but the web page has been opened recently. The images look good, and it's a multi language translation. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.talesofrebirth.altervista.org/

Latest Update:

Just a few words

Hi there, as you can see this site is still in the same conditions as before. We didn't find the cooperation of the other members of the group for a new idea we had in mind, so... still no answers to your passionate messages.
Anyway, I'm leaving this new message mainly to reassure you: the problem we're talking about, involves just the site.
The translation project, on the other hand, keeps moving forward with a great pace. So, don't worry about it.
See you later with, hopefully, better news about the site.

LucaLink

07/06/2012

Sagitario

Latest Update:

Just a few words

Hi there, as you can see this site is still in the same conditions as before. We didn't find the cooperation of the other members of the group for a new idea we had in mind, so... still no answers to your passionate messages.
Anyway, I'm leaving this new message mainly to reassure you: the problem we're talking about, involves just the site.
The translation project, on the other hand, keeps moving forward with a great pace. So, don't worry about it.
See you later with, hopefully, better news about the site.

LucaLink

07/06/2012

Excellent!
I don't mind waiting. My PS2 and PSP versions are (and will be) ready!

pje122

Looks like a new update from Cless:

Cless on 7/25/2012 said:
Tales of Phantasia is soon to go into play testing. Let me repeat that for you: Tales of Phantasia is soon to go into playtesting. And provided no serious bugs I can't fix on my own aren't discovered, a patch will be released at long last. Yes, in 2012; not 2086. Sometime next month, in fact.
It should be noted however, that the patch to be released won't be full-featured. I've mentioned the bugs before. Unfortunately, Habilain continues to have difficulty making time for the project to finish his hacks to fix them, and at this point I'm getting somewhat desperate to move on from this. So, with everything else finished otherwise, I've opted to create a project fork that works around the bugs that exist in the hack on my end. What this means is that battle subtitles--the major feature--will not work at all in the patch to be released. Some features of lesser importance such as text alignment and other hacks to improve grammar in dynamic text will also not be used. It'll just look a little less polished than it ideally could in some spots.
There will be no traditional private beta test for this patch. Once I'm done with my test playthrough, and after whatever problems have been fixed to my satisfaction, the patch will be released ASAP. You could probably think of it as a sort of public beta.
It frustrates me a bit to release it like this. No matter how old and primitive this game is, this project was never a joke to me. I've always wanted the best for it. But like I said, I want to move on from it, and more than ever now. Should Habilain ever find the time to finish up his stuff, another patch will be put out. Let's hope it happens.

I'm just glad he'll finally be finished with ToP. He was already beaten to the punch so to speak by A0T but I'll probably give PP's patch a whirl when I have some free time. Will probably wait for his "more complete" patch when he adds the stuff he mentioned
in 2086

Top Bottom