• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Amir0x

Banned
It's that time again. Yes, with the PSP US Launch a mere two-three weeks away, final boarding for the hype train has begun. I'm sure there's many of you itching to try this bad boy out and discuss etc, but just real quick... the same standards apply for this thread as they have for the other two I made. Let's try to keep discussion of the DS to a minimum. I realize at this point it's impossible to not comment on it entirely, but let's try to focus.

Anyway, as with the Japanese PSP Launch thread/DS Launch thread it'd be really nice if we can have everyone who pre-ordered a PSP for this launch to chime in so we can expect hands-on previews. I'll actually be able to start this time, since I have one pre-ordered :)

Without further adue, the PSP US Launch thread:

image.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Launch Date Japan: December 12, 2004 (Status - Launched)
Launch Date US: March 24, 2005 (Status - Impending)
Launch Date Europe: April 2005-July 2005 (Status - Impending)

This time around, the PSP unfortunately only comes in a single noteworthy pack, called VALUE. This is of course in contrast to the Japanese launch which had both a Standard and Value pack.

Value (PSP-1001k):

Price: $249.99 (US)/$299.99(CDN)
Package: Sony PlayStation Portable, AC Adapter, AC Power cord, Battery Pack, Soft Case, Hand Strap, Cloth, Headphones w/ Remote Control, 32MB Memory Stick Pro Duo (Bonus Note - First million units come with a copy of the Spider-Man 2 UMD Movie)
Content Image:

pspget.jpg

accessories.jpg

Final Image of US Value Packaging:

psp-launch-box-20050222002137116.jpg

US Value Pack Manual: You can view the contents of the manual here - Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4. It's pretty comprehensive, so enjoy. Props to Stinkles for the find a month or so back.

Here is a quick break down of each item as they were from the Japanese launch:

IGN said:
Memory Stick Duo
Model: PSP-M32
Price: 2800 yen (2940 yen with tax)
Specs: Magic Gate, 32 Megabytes

PSP AC Adapter
Model: PSP-100
Price: 3500 yen (3675 with tax)
Specs: 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz

PSP Battery Pack
Model: PSP-110
Price: 4800 yen (5040 yen with tax)
Specs: 3.6V/1800mAh

PSP Headphones With Remote Control
Model: PSP-140(W)
Price: 2800 yen (2940 yen with tax)
Color: white
Specs: inner-ear headphones, functions for play, pause, FF, FR, volume, hold

PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap
Model: PSP-170(B)
Price: 2000 yen (2100 yen with tax)
Color: soft case is black, hand strap is white
Case Size: 195 x 7.5 x 108 mm (width, height, depth)
Strap Size: 189 x 3.3 x 9 mm (width, height, depth)

The US Sony PSP Website:

They have a temporary site set up here. Visit it for some information on the system. Doubt you'll find anything you haven't already heard, but it's a viable resource.

Special Note: According to the US PSP Launch website, the value pack WILL include a Game/Movie/Music Video Sample disc... on top of the Spider-Man 2 UMD the first million are getting. This is relatively interesting news, since I had not heard this mentioned before. But in any event, it's likely to be similar to what the Japanese gamers got if you ordered from the PlayStation website - nothing playable.

Sony PSP Interface:

little-red-machine-20041203042408738.jpg

IGN and our fair Japanese importers/adopters have confirmed that the XMB PSP Interface changes color depending on what month it is. For more information, click here.

PSP operating system colours:
Jan: White
Feb: Light yellow
Mar: Pea green
Apr: Pink
May: Green
Jun: Light purple
Jul: Turquoise
Aug: Dark blue
Sep: Purple
Oct: Yellow
Nov: Brown
Dec: Red

(Thanks Jonnyram)

AND FINALLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...

region.jpg

~Thank you jiggle~

SYSTEM SPECS:

PSP CPU Core

PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
32MB Main Memory
4MD Embedded DRAM

Media

UMD Drive (Playback only)
Region Code
Parental Control

Format

PSP Game
UMD Audio
UMD Video

Input/Output

IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
USB 2.0 (Target)
Memory Stick PRO Duo
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS)

5V DC OUT
Terminals for charging built-in battery
Headphone/Microphone/Control connector

Control:
- Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
- Analog pad
- Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
- Left, Right keys (shoulder buttons)
- START, SELECT, HOME
- POWER On/Hold/Off switch
- Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-
- Wireless LAN On/Off switch
- UMD Eject

Size Details

Dimensions: Approxately 170mm (L) x 74mm (W) x 23mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 260g (including battery)

Other Specifications

Screen: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD
- 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors)
- Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in lithium-ion battery
AC adaptor
128 bit AES encryption
Individual ID for each PSP hardware unit

TECHNICAL SPECS:

PSP CPU CORE
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM) (**Changed to 32MB, 4MB embedded in May 2004)
32MB NAND FLASH (This has been a bone of contention, but it seems confirmed here.
Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops
3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine
MIPS R4000 32bit Core
128bit Bus
1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
Sub Memory:2MB(eDRAM) @ 2.6GB/sec
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core 1
3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon
Compressed Texture
Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
Hardware Tessellator
Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)
ex 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 sub-division

PSP Graphics Core 2
'Rendering Engine' + 'Surface Engine'
256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @ 1.2V (**Changed to 512bit Bus in final version)
VRAM :2MB(eDRAM)
Bus Bandwidth :5.3GB/sec
Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec
max 33 M polygon /sec(T&L)
24bit Full Color:RGBA

PSP Sound Core: VME
Reconfigurable DSPs
128bit Bus
166MHz @1.2V
5 Giga Operations /sec
CODEC
3D Sound, Multi-Channel
Synthesizer, Effecter, etc

UMD(Universal Media Disc)
60mm
Laser Diode:660nm
Dual Layer :1.8GB
Transfer Rate:11Mbps
Shock Proof
Secure ROM by AES
Unique Disc ID

AVC Decoder
AVC(H.264) Decoder
Main Profile
Baseline Profile
@Level1,Level2,Level3
2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie
4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

I/O
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
Extension Port(reserved)
Stereo Head phone Out

Communication
Wireless LAN (i802.11)
IrDA
USB 2.0

LAUNCH GAMES

Note: These are all games currently slated to be released before the end of March. Release dates are, obviously, subject to change. If I've made any mistakes here, feel free to correct me. I can't keep up with the constantly shifting release dates, especially for certain obscure genres. I'm not sure but someone said smartbomb and mvp was delayed, but I can't find a story on that so if you can find it for me I'd appreciate it.

Click on each game to be directed to their respective websites where applicable. Obviously, not all of them have websites yet. Similarly, some of these are Japanese websites pending their US equivalents. The rest that have neither US or Japan website will just be gamerankings listings. If any of you have information on a website I missed, again... feel free to inform me and I'll update the initial post.

March 24th
Ape Escape: On the Loose (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
Archer Maclean's Mercury (Ignition USA)
ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (Capcom)
Dynasty Warriors (KOEI)
FIFA 2005 (Electronic Arts)
Gretzky NHL (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
Lumines (Ubisoft)
Metal Gear Acid (Konami)
MLB (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
MVP Baseball (Electronic Arts)
NBA (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
NBA Street Showdown (Electronic Arts)
Need for Speed Rivals (Electronic Arts)
NFL Street 2 Unleashed (Electronic Arts)
Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory (Konami)
Ridge Racer (Namco)
Smartbomb (Eidos Interactive)
Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR (Electronic Arts)
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix (Activision)
Twisted Metal: Head On (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade (Sony Online Entertainment)
Wipeout Pure (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
World Tour Soccer (Sony Computer Entertainment America)

Update (3/01/05) - According to john tv, EB GAMES now lists MLB as April 4th and MVP Baseball as April 11th. Stay tuned for more updates :)

Ridge Racers

psp-launch-box-20050218020103513.jpg

Publisher: Namco
Developer: Namco

ridge-racers-20050105061331732.jpg

ridge-racers-20050105061328013.jpg

Ah, here's one of the first real big ones for the PSP. Basically a huge compilation of essentially every Ridge Racing game ever made (with a few exceptions), it features some new tracks, as well as tons of classics from many titles in the franchise (24 courses in all I believe). The new feature in this game is the nitro, which some of you may or may not like. The list of music is also quite impressive. There's 30 tracks in all, and it's a compilation of new, old and remixes. Check it out here. The game features incredibly sharp visuals and of course the same Ridge Racer drift play we've all come to love (or hate). Not only that, but we US gamers get the better end of the stick as Namco revealed in several interviews that they are providing additions to the gameplay for our stateside release. "The US version of Ridge Racer features a new "MAX Tour" option in world tour mode not available in the Japanese edition, which GameSpot test drove in December."

Lumines

psp-launch-box-20050217062849305.jpg

Publisher: Ubisoft
Developer: Q Entertainment

lumines-20050210024009954.jpg

lumines-20050210024014032.jpg

Lumines...ah. The number one reason to own a PSP, imho, so far. The best description is it's basically tetris turned on its side, only there are only squares and all the block landing and clearing and combos creates techno. "Think Reztris" (thanks Oktober). This is the most accurate description I've read anywhere, and according to some of our fellow GAFers who played the Japanese version it is awesome. The visuals are bright, vibrant and pulsating. The music is, just from the taste we've had, incredible (Mondo Grosso++). It's the definition of handheld gaming, and this is the game you should get imho. I'll allow fellow GAFers to gush over this since there are many who played and loved it.

On top of that, US gamers are getting a real treat with improvements as well. Improved loading, retry, and even a few new skins. The music should also remain unchanged from the Japanese version, so you don't have to worry about any "Americanization." (krypt0nian nod)

Read the Gamespot Lumines Review here. 9.0

Dynasty Warriors

psp-launch-box-20050207040052341.jpg

Publisher: Koei
Developer: Koei

ces-2005-dynasty-warriors-screens-20050105052045897.jpg

ces-2005-dynasty-warriors-screens-20050105052045225.jpg

If you played any of the previous Dynasty Warriors games, then you know it's essentially a large-scale beat em' up done on massive battlefields in the middle of wars. There's usually a rudimentary combo system and perhaps some other cool features, but that's generally the way it has been each title. Dynasty Warriors PSP plays a lot like Dynasty Warriors 4, apparantely, albeit with toned down visuals and less characters on screen at once:

Gamespot said:
It probably won't come as a great shock that this game plays an awful lot like the other Dynasty Warriors games, just on a smaller screen. As usual, we ran around the expansive battlefields alongside like-minded warriors who were labeled with blue names (written entirely in kanji for this demo, natch). We were constantly on the lookout for soldiers bearing the enemy colors, as well as any enemy officers bearing a red name (a mark for certain death next to our vicious polearm). We had the standard array of basic combo moves and more powerful musou combo attacks that series fans will be intimately familiar with already. Interestingly, the game doesn't use the entirety of the PSP's exceptionally wide screen for gameplay--your battlefield view is close to a four-by-three size, similar to a standard TV. The right side of the screen is instead used to display a tactical map, officer health readouts, and so on.

On top of this, the game allows you to play "segments" of the map instead of just the one big one. According to the developer this allows you to be more strategic in your approach to your game. Although maybe it's just a matter of avoiding streaming of some sort :p

Amir0x

Banned

Metal Gear Ac!d

psp-launch-box-20050207040052606.jpg

Publisher: Konami
Developer: Konami

metal-gear-acid-20050105053058486.jpg

metal-gear-acid-20050105053058127.jpg

This is probably the game we can bet will cause the most "controversy" among gamers, simply because it takes an already established franchise and moves it in such a dramatically different direction. That direction, you ask? Well, it comes in the form of cards. Yes, now instead of controlling your character directly, his actions will be determined by a set of cards. From all indications, the game still manages to capture the intensity of stealth based gameplay, while allowing a more strategically based system at the same time. Some GAFers also played this game, so I'm sure they can tell you what they think (if they're so kind).

Here's a little rundown from Gamespot:

Gamespot said:
Here's the deal: You've got Solid Snake, and he has a mission to accomplish. You have a certain number of points per turn that you can expend on actions that will help you complete that mission. Some actions cost more points than others, and when you hit zero points, you'll have to rest while any bad guys in the area take their turns. To invoke a particular action, you'll need to play its corresponding card, assuming you have enough points left in that turn to cover the cost. As you'd expect, every time you play a card, you lose it, so you've got to choose wisely or risk finding yourself in a bad situation.

Luckily, the benevolent gods of stealth action will mete out a new hand of cards every turn to replenish your store of available actions. Most of the cards we saw were related to some sort of equipment; there was a FAMAS card, a silenced SOCOM card, a body armor card, grenade card, and so on. When you select one of these cards, you can opt to use its corresponding effect, or you can sacrifice it to move Snake a certain number of squares across the map. Often, these item cards are to be used instantly; a grenade must be thrown immediately, for instance, or the SOCOM fired at a nearby enemy (if one is present). Snake also had two equipment slots, and we were able to equip other cards into these slots to provide passive effects. Equipping the body armor lessened damage from enemy attacks, for instance, while equipping the AK-47 let Snake counterattack with that rifle right after an enemy hit him.

And for this one, US gamers are being treated to an entirely new multiplayer feature as well as a card trading thing... I think. I'm not exactly sure how it works at all, but it seems that Konami wanted to include it in the Japanese release but couldn't due to time constraints. Well, it's back. And Japanese gamers were already impressed with how complete and robust the package was... imagine it with multiplayer! (krypt0nian nod)

Archer Maclean's Mercury

psp-launch-box-20050207035539382.jpg

Publisher: Ignition Entertainment USA
Developer: Awesome Studios

mercury-20050105050321504.jpg

mercury-20050105050321129.jpg

The best way to describe this game, I find, is as Marble Madness with intense physics. Hahaa, but seriously. In the game you tilt the field around (like Super Monkey Ball) and your little ball of Mercury slides around and reacts appropriately depending on what it hits and such. If you slam against a wall too hard your ball of Mercury will break a part and you'll have to control multiple pieces. If you stumble into a vaccum you'll be teleported into another location on the field. The object of the game is to get to the end of each of the 74+ levels. They throw all sorts of insane obstacles which you must navigate in an intelligent way using the unique properties of the Mercury to your advantage. Looks awesome to me.

Ape Escape: On the Loose

psp-launch-box-20050207040052216.jpg

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America
Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment

ape-escape-p-20050105050001171.jpg

ape-escape-p-20050105050001687.jpg

Not much to say here. Basically, it's Ape Escape 1 with some new elements (like some new multiplayer wifi minigames) and a one analog control scheme instead of the now classic two analog control scheme. I don't know how well this will translate without that novelty, but we'll see. I love Ape Escape, but probably not enough to play a chucked down version.

Wipeout Pure

psp-launch-box-20050207035538538.jpg

Developer: Studio Liverpool

wipeout-pure-20050105062241098.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050105062241723.jpg

For those of us who despised Wipeout Fusion, a new light at the end of the tunnel is here. According to the developer, this game marks a return to the series roots with cars free once more to sway and swing and much more. Not only that, but this will be one of the first games to utilize downloadable content. There will be music, vehicles and even tracks that can be downloaded. We'll see how much they go through with it, but it's a very interesting way to extend the life of your portable games. Well, at least, the best way not called an "E-Card". WINK.

Darkstalkers Chronicles: Chaos Tower

psp-launch-box-20050208033721515.jpg

Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom

darkstalkers-chronicle-the-chaos-tower-20050105050726130.jpg

The first fighting game for the PSP, this basically marks the reinvigoration of the Darkstalkers series in the US/Japan just in time for the 10 year anniversary of the series inception. Although it's mostly a arcade-perfect port, it does feature several "PSP Specific" features that give the title its clout. For one, there's the Tower mode which gives the games its subtitle. This is basically a mode which generates a branching path of fights which change depending on the characters you use and how well you fight during various challenges. This prizes for this mode are unlockable features, such as original Darkstalkers art and movies. Also, the game allows you to choose from the widescreen format and the "original" screen size, which is neat.

Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade

psp-launch-box-20050207040052466.jpg

Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
Developer: Sony Online Entertainment

untold-legends-brotherhood-of-the-blade-20050105062237738.jpg

untold-legends-brotherhood-of-the-blade-20050104002705847.jpg

Featuring four different classes to choose from, 100+ randomized dungeons, 1000 items and a reported "20+ hours of gameplay", this game is probably most like the PS2 series Champions of Norrath. If you like those games, I don't see how you could go wrong. There's tons of sidequests and the same basic gameplay given a decidely PSP flavour. It's also one of the bigger games to launch with the PSP in the US, so it should be interesting to see what level of polish they were able to achieve from this effort.

Amir0x

Banned

Twisted Metal: Head-On

psp-launch-box-20050207035538741.jpg

Developer: Icognito Studios

twisted-metal-head-on-20050105061927013.jpg

twisted-metal-head-on-20050105061928263.jpg

Returning to the PSX roots of the series and emulating what is arguably the best in the series (although I would personally disagree), Twisted Metal: Head-On is like an omage to Twisted Metal 2. It features many of the same maps (albeit enhanced) and some new ones, as well as other features unique to the PSP version. It is also one of the first games for PSP to have online right out of the box. I suppose that's as good a reason as any to adopt this game - especially if you're a fan.

Spider-Man 2

psp-launch-box-20050207040421537.jpg

Publisher: Activision
Developer: Vicarious Visions

spider-man-2-20050105061243187.jpg

For those of you who enjoyed the console outings, this might be some of your flavour. Although it's all new version of the adventure seen in the Spider-Man 2 movie, it does share certain aspects in common with its console brothers. Swinging is reportedly a lot like what was developed in those games. And although there is no longer a free roaming city, there is still large areas for you to traverse freely (think Spider-Man 1). Might be fun, might suck. We'll see.

Need for Speed Underground Rivals

psp-launch-box-20050211045025135.jpg

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Electronic Arts Canada

need-for-speed-underground-rivals-20050105055912436.jpg

If you're one of the many fans of the Need for Speed Underground videogames, then you're probably guaranteed to enjoy this game to some degree. Features all new tracks, music and even a new "owning" mode wherein you tag players you beat with the tag "OWNED." Some decent visuals but overall expect the same fast paced gameplay of the console cousins with some modifications, like muscle cars. Although you can't really roam around the city lookin' for badass races...

THE REST:

I'll be updating with more detailed profiles on the rest of the games I have listed here at a later date. While we're waiting, feast your eyes on the loveable US boxart.

RENGOKU US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050222112850330.jpg

NBA STREET SHOWDOWN US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050217005406020.jpg

NFL STREET 2 UNLEASHED US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050211045024994.jpg

MVP BASEBALL US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050211045021619.jpg

TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050211045024838.jpg

FIFA SOCCER US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050211045024697.jpg

TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND 2 REMIX US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050209065556390.jpg

MLB US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050207035539585.jpg

ATV OFFROAD FURY: BLAZIN' TRAILS US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050207035539179.jpg

GRETZKY NHL US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050207035539851.jpg

WORLD TOUR SOCCER US BOXART:

psp-launch-box-20050207035535398.jpg

NBA:

psp-launch-box-20050207035538945.jpg

FAQ

I found a great FAQ for the PSP and I think it fills in the blanks nicely so I'm going to suppliment this thing with a heap load of information straight from the PSP FAQ that can be found here. I'll post relevant information and shit, though. Also, since we have new information regarding the launch and such I will fix some of the old rusty stuff.

Author of this extra information (and the full FAQ): speedis
See the full thing here.

Launch Details:

How many units will be shipped?
Launch day in Japan: 200,000.
North America: 1 million units during the 2005 fiscal year.
Europe: 1 million units at launch (April-July?)
Source: Gamespot

Will the PSP come in more then one color?
Most likely. Although it will only come in black when it is first released.
When Japanese people were allowed to vote for their favorite color besides black, they chose red, so it's possible that red will be the next color.
"At the start of sales, black will be the only color but, after that, we will keep that (color variations) under consideration."
Source 1: IGN.
Source 2: Techjapan.

Are most of the PSP games ports from PS2?
No. There are some games that people could see as "ports" (GT4, Tony Hawks Underground 2 and Hot Shots Golf for example), but the amount of games like that are very few compared to all the brand new games being developed for the PSP. Those "ports" all feature new content as well. GT4 features wireless play (as well as online), THUG2 features 4 new levels and more players to choose from as well as wireless multiplayer, Hot Shots Gold features 4 new maps, 10 new playable characters and wireless multiplayer. Need For Speed Underground Rivals features brand new levels and wireless multiplayer specifically made for the PSP. Every game features new game modes as well. Sony has actually said that they don't allow games to be ported without new content/features.
Source: IGN.

How long does a game running from UMD take to start up?
About as long as it takes for a PS2 game to start.
Source: Techjapan.

Multiplayer:

What kind of multiplayer will PSP offer?
Wireless and online multiplayer. Online will be similar to Xbox live, except that it will be free of charge (content downloading such as new maps etc will be charged though).
Max amount of players for Wireless: 16
Max amount of players for online play: Unlimited (there's actually a MMORPG being developed which will hold thousand of players)
Source 2: Gamespot.
Source 3: Sony's official online plans for PSP.

What kind of wireless standard is the PSP using?
It's using 802.11B, and therefore it will use regular 802.11B limitations;
Indoors: 30 meters at 11Mbps, 91 meters at 1Mbps
Outdoors: 120 meters (393ft) at 11Mbps, 460 meters (1508ft) at 1Mbps
This is under extremely perfect conditions, you will most likely not get range like this.
Source 1: Techjapan.
Source 2: Official Sony PSP Documents.

Will you be able to play against other players through the Internet with your wireless router/hotspot?
Yes. In fact, five PSP games have been confirmed to be online right out of the box for the US launch. MLB, NBA, Gretzky NHL, ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails and Twisted Metal: Head-On will all be online ready. Similarly, other games will utilize downloadable content. Wipeout Pure is among the games confirmed to do this.
Source 2: Gamespot

Will it be possible to buy games/download demos from the Internet and then save on your memory stick?
Yes, however, Sony wants to show off the UMD capabilities at first so it might not be possible to buy games online and put on memory sticks until 2005.

Can I play multiplayer games with people (online and local wireless) that have games from USA if I have the same game, but from Japan?
No, games are not cross region compatible. If you want to play against someone that has an English version of Ridge Racers then you need an English version as well.

Will it be possible to play online by using your cell phone in case you aren't near a wireless router?
Possibly, the PSP has a built in IR-port which could be used to communicate with cell phones (with built in modem and IR connectivity).
Source: Official PSP specifications.

Battery Details:

What will the battery time be?
4-5 hours for Video watching through UMD.
4-6 hours average for gameplay through UMD.
4 hours with headphones and 50% volume, no WIFI and highest screen brightness (180 cd/m2).
6 hours with headphones and 50% volume, no WIFI and lowest screen brightness (80 cd/m2).

Basically, if you use all features (highest volume on speakers, highest brightness setting, WIFI and a badly coded (in terms of saving battery power) high graphics game then you will end up with 3 hours. If you play a puzzle game on low brightness, no audio and no WIFI then you will get 8 hours. Batteries are $45 (in Japan) if you want more battery time. IGN also has an intensive battery life test that you can check out.

Source 2: IGN's Battery Test

How do I know how much of the battery is left?
The PSP have a battery meter with three notches.
3 notches lit = 100% battery.
2 notches lit= 66% battery.
1 notch lit = 33% battery.

Can you change the brightness level on the PSP?
Yes. There are three different ones available. 180 cd/m2 (brightest), 130 cd/m2 /(medium) or 80cd/m2 (lowest). When being plugged in to your AC Adapter you get 200 cd/m2.

Technical Details:

How powerful is the PSP?
In the words of EA's developers; "Although the PSP CPU power is less than the current generation living room console, we are able to achieve visuals that are on par with second or third generation PS2 titles."
Earlier, Sony has also announced that it's comparable with the PS2.
Source: EA.

Can the PSP's firmware be upgraded?
Yes, Sony will release firmware updates for the PSP which you will be able to download. These upgrades will fix bugs with the systems software (if there are any) and allow upgrades on the software to be made.

Can the PSP handle sudden shocks?
Yes. "Internally, there is a mechanism to cache a certain amount of data while reading. It is similar to the anti-skip mechanisms that already exist in current products. While playing a game, the UMD is not always spinning; it can be controlled by software so there will be continuous read/pause operations."

Will the PSP's screen be protected?
Yes, it is covered by hard coating. Apparently, this is basically indestructible. Journalists tried to scratch it with keys, steel wool and permanent marker pens. Nothing made a scratch, and the journalist could just wipe off the permanent marker pen without any problems. It took a hard ram with a knife to scratch it.

Update: It's worth noting that impressions from overseas owners haven't been exactly favourable toward this so-called "screen coating". It's there, but it simply doesn't prevent all scratches. You still have to be careful. Similarly, the PSP is a fingerprint magnet. If you're anal compulsive like myself, you may want to take that into consideration when making your purchase.
Source 2: PSPInsider.

Is there a problem with the PSP getting overheated?
No.

Analog Controller

What does the PSP's analog controller feel like?
Like the PS2's analog controller. It has the same sensitivity (resolution).
"The PSP feels comfortable in the hand, with all the buttons, and the analogue thumb pad, falling right into place. We actually found the analogue thumb pad to be perfectly situated for making our pointer fingers fall onto the shoulder buttons"
Source 2: IGN.

Critics

What are journalists saying about the PSP?
"The PSP feels comfortable in the hand, with all the buttons, and the analogue thumb pad, falling right into place. We actually found the analogue thumb pad to be perfectly situated for making our pointer fingers fall onto the shoulder buttons"
"The system is certainly much cooler than our cell phones get when we play even simple 2D games. Amazingly, the system is very quiet -- there doesn't seem to be anything moving around to cool it off inside."
"Having played cartridge-based portable games for over a decade, the jump to UMD-based games is like jumping from cartridges to CD's as far as sound is concerned."
The PSP also won Gamecritics Awards during E3 2004.
Source1: IGN.
Source2: Game Critics Awards.

UMD Movies

How much will they cost and when can we expect them?
The price range established for UMDs are $19.98-$28.95. However, it has been listed for $15.95 at certain DVD websites. Whether or not that will be the trend has yet to be determined. As for when we will expect them, the first range of titles will be released on April 19th. XXX, Hellboy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Spider-man 2 will all retail for $19.98. House of Flying Daggers will be priced at $28.95.
Source: Gamespot

UMD Games

How much will they cost?
The price range established for UMD videogames are currently $39.99 and $49.99, respectively. Fortunately for us, most of the games seem to currently retail at $39.99. Like consoles, it would not be surprising to see games retail at $19.99 or $29.99 (ala Katamari Damacy) down the line after it is established what type of games consumers flock towards on PSP (or a Greatest Hits type line evolves). Not surprisingly, EA games seem to be the bulk of the games really sticking to the $49.99 price line. Whether or not we'll see the PS2-esque trend of first party games costing $39.99 and third party games costing $49.99 is as yet undetermined, although it is also a strong possibility.

Memory Sticks

Exactly what kind of Memory Sticks are compatible with the PSP?
If you want to get a nice sized stick that works with PSP, look for the DUOs. There's Pro Duos and regular Duos... Pros being the faster of the two. They come in various sizes up to the recently announced 2GB.

I want a cheap Memory Stick, damn it! Where can I find one for cheap?
The internet. But seriously, use Froogle.

Images on PSP

What is the best way to put images on my PSP?
PSPhoto 1.0! It's a wonderfully useful devices that converts your images into a nice PSP-friendly size. (Thanks to heavy liquid for the reminder)
Source 1: GAF PSPhoto Thread
Source 2: Direct Download

Using Memory Stick Pro Duo for Movies on PSP

What about converting movies for use on PSP? I heard that was complicated!
Well, yes. Right now it's hideously inconvenient and hopefully a firmware update will fix some of the problems. That said, once you get it right there is no better movie viewing in such a compact form. To convert movies into a PSP-friendly format, use 3GPP. A link to the website is provided below. Similarly, there's a fantastic GAF thread about the process that should answer every question you have.
Source 1: GAF PSP Video Enconder Thread
Source 2: 3GPP Website

CONCLUSION

Well, I hope you enjoy. I'll be updating later. :)

Jonnyram

PSP operating system colours:
Jan: White
Feb: Light yellow
Mar: Pea green
Apr: Pink
May: Green
Jun: Light purple
Jul: Turquoise
Aug: Dark blue
Sep: Purple
Oct: Yellow
Nov: Brown
Dec: Red

Ironclad

I completely agree with your blurb on Lumines. I love the color in that Gold Fish skin and I can't stop listening to the few songs I have.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Huuuuuuuuuge. This needs a 56k warning or do we just say screw em these days?

I'm surprised at how comparable Meteos is to Lumines in its final form though. Early on it looked like a joke when the portables were revealed.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
My launch lineup:
PSP Value Pack
Ridge Racer
WipeOut Pure
Hellboy Director's Cut UMD Movie
Resident Evil 2 UMD Movie
Spider-Man 2 UMD Movie

Amir0x

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Huuuuuuuuuge. This needs a 56k warning or do we just say screw em these days?

Unfortunately, I noticed I forgot the tag too late. I edited the title to include it but it will not appear on the page now.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Amir0x, you did a fantastic job with this post. Well done. Got $100 of my PSP preorder, and two games - Lumines and Metal Gear Ac!d - paid off. Gonna wait till launch day to put the rest down.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Damn son, this thread is the shiznit and deserves a stickyickyicky.

That said, I'll wait until the new PSP GTA is released before I seriously consider getting one.

Amir0x

Banned
Agent Dormer said:
Amir0x, you did a fantastic job with this post. Well done. Got $100 of my PSP preorder, and two games - Lumines and Metal Gear Ac!d - paid off. Gonna wait till launch day to put the rest down.

I pre-ordered my PSP and paid in full. I also pre-ordered Lumines, Ridge Racers, Wipeout Pure and Mercury. I'm contemplating getting one sports title and either Twisted Metal or Metal Gear Ac!d, but I honestly don't know if I'll have the money. March also has be buying DMC3 (today!) and God of War so... poor :(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm gonna wait till fall/winter. Let it work out it's issues (if there are any) and decide if I really have the need for another handheld gaming system.

But I gotta say that the PSP is sex. Hot sex I tell ya.

Amir0x

Banned
Here's some images of Smartbomb, the Eidos game. There's really not much to say about it except that the game is also another puzzler of sorts. This time you have to defuse bombs over multiple challenges and fields before they explode (thus the timer). Looks like an interesting concept, but this is Eidos...

smart-bomb-20050222023410424.jpg

smart-bomb-20050222023409033.jpg

smart-bomb-20050222023408299.jpg

smart-bomb-20050222023405830.jpg

adaaaam

Nothing I didn't know already, save the monthly color changes, but good work on all the apparent effort put into it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
new hud color tomorrow! i'm well and truly sick of creamed-corn yellow.

psp software had better be region-free. i'm banking on playing wipeout pure and metal gear acid next month.

I've got my PSP Value Pack reserved at Gamerush with $50 down. Will pick it up at launch. Provided I have no pixel problems or am able to immediately exchange if I do I'll definately chime in with my 2 cents after I spend some time with it.

Don't know about games yet, I'm a huge MGS fan but I need to see reviews on ACID before I take that plunge. Doesn't look like I would enjoy it but..

I'm definately interested in Lumines and Untold Legends, but we'll have to see how the money situation is. I'd almost rather get a 1 GB Duo than a game at first.

Nice thread. Have $100 down on mine at gamestop with the rest to be paid off this week. Definately picking up Lumines, but still debating between Ridge Racers or Wipeout.

Sho Nuff

Banned
IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!

I hope video compression / cool tools get a shot in the ass once it comes out in USA-land!

And they better fix the jpeg bug :mad:

john tv

As a PSP owner in Japan, I have a few questions for you folks in the US. Please help!!

1. Is Mercury any good? Honestly. Should I import it at launch or what?

2. Untold Legends -- yay or nay? Don't give me some generic "if you like champions of norrath" crap answer, please -- I need details!!

3. Which baseball game should I get -- MVP or MLB? Anyone know which is the better choice? I know MLB is online, but that's not a factor for me. So ASIDE FROM ONLINE, which of these two games is best?

Thank you, my fellow Americans!

Socreges

Banned
Amir0x, thank you, but you have entirely too much time on your hands. ;)

I've been dancing around a purchase of an mp3 player for the last couple months, so that's got me considering a PSP purchase. Do I more or less NEED to buy an extra stick (all the different numbers are confusing, but I don't see anything along the lines of 256 or 512)? Also, I have a Sony Pro Memory Stick, but it ISN'T a Duo. Does that mean it won't work?

jiggle

Socreges said:
Do I more or less NEED to buy an extra stick (all the different numbers are confusing, but I don't see anything along the lines of 256 or 512)?

The 32mb, that comes with the value pack, is plenty of room for game saves. But it can barely hold one full album of mp3s. There are sticks in 256mb, 512mb, and 1gb. Soon, 2gb:)

Socreges said:
Also, I have a Sony Pro Memory Stick, but it ISN'T a Duo. Does that mean it won't work?

Must be Duo.

Tabris

I wonder how Gretzkey NHL is.

I mean it is 989 sports, but maybe they'll luck out? It can't be worse than EA's latest (2003 onward) entries. I would love some portable NHL action!

Fantastic job! As usual!

One suggestion: You may want to edit in the NA additions/changes to Lumines and Metal Gear AC1D, as you did for the rumored RRs improvements.

No getting banned anytime soon, ya here!? The handheld threads aren't the same. :)

Socreges

Banned
jiggle said:
The 32mb, that comes with the value pack, is plenty of room for game saves. But it can barely hold one full album of mp3s. There are sticks in 256mb, 512mb, and 1gb. Soon, 2gb:)

Must be Duo.
Blehhhh. This greatly displeases me.

Is there a thread that discusses how the PSP performs as an mp3 player (looking for several opinions) in terms of sound quality, organization, etc?

Mifune

Mehmber
john tv said:
BTW, according to EB, MLB is now April 4, and MVP Baseball is now April 11. :(

This does not please me. I was planning to pick up Lumines and a baseball game at launch. Now I might just have to wait a couple weeks to get a PSP. But of course they'll all be gone then. Boo...

Socreges

Banned
jiggle said:
Thank you (really), but unfortunately no one comments on organization and stuff such as that (it's probably seemless, but I don't know). I was also a little discouraged that it was AlphaSnake and Marconelly praising the audio quality, but I trust that even if they say "superb" I can safely draw that down to "great." :)

$300 CDN for PSP + $75 CDN for it to become a practical mp3 player = reasonable... we'll see.

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:
1. Is Mercury any good? Honestly. Should I import it at launch or what?

2. Untold Legends -- yay or nay? Don't give me some generic "if you like champions of norrath" crap answer, please -- I need details!!

3. Which baseball game should I get -- MVP or MLB? Anyone know which is the better choice? I know MLB is online, but that's not a factor for me. So ASIDE FROM ONLINE, which of these two games is best?

1. I don't really know! I won't know until I play it... heh. But if you're curious about how it is, you can read impressions from someone who has played it here. It's a decent read, imho.

2. If you like Cham-- oh. Well, there goes the PR line. Although I don't know how better to explain it, since by all accounts it is like Champions of Norrath with a new story. But, once more, if you want the dish from someone who has played it check here.

3. I'm going to say MVP. By far. 989 just makes notoriously awful sports games. Now I know they said they changing everything for their re-emergence on the PSP, but you have to feed me a lot to believe that atm. Visually it's pretty nice, but EA is just scrounging up the added value with tons of quick play baseball-related mini-games, all the modes from the console version and that same statistical power. I'd say MVP.

Socreges said:
Amir0x, thank you, but you have entirely too much time on your hands. ;)

Heh, it didn't actually take me a long time. I netted most of the information over the past few weeks from other threads (images especially since I'm 56k) and just stored them in a little database. Then I whipped them out and prepared them for the thread. And of course I took my Japanese PSP Launch thread and modified the information accordingly :)

krypt0nian said:
Fantastic job! As usual!

One suggestion: You may want to edit in the NA additions/changes to Lumines and Metal Gear AC1D, as you did for the rumored RRs improvements.

Also, I added those changes you reccomended. Gave a little nod to you for the reminder. MGA has the new added wifi component (multiplayer), right?

krypt0nian said:
No getting banned anytime soon, ya here!? The handheld threads aren't the same.

It's not like I tried to get banned the first time! :lol

Tabris

How's the PSP soft case?

How easily scratched does the PSP get? (I read the FAQ that says the screen is hard to scratch, but I wanted to hear it from people who have imported)

Amir0x

Banned
Tabris said:
How's the PSP soft case?

How easily scratched does the PSP get? (I read the FAQ that says the screen is hard to scratch, but I wanted to hear it from people who have imported)

The FAQ needs updating in places, but it seems regardless of the coating it still receives scratches at a decent clip if you're not careful. More seriously, it's a flippin' fingerprint magnet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are Metal Gear, Mercury and Wipeout all launch titles? I wonder if I dare test the region coding by preordering before someone else tests it?

Thats a nuts lineup for hardware launch BTW.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Tabris said:
How's the PSP soft case?

It scratches like motherfucking Mix Master Mike. Get a screen protector STAT. I was looking at my screen today and was stunned by how fucked up it was (with the lights off, anyway).

BTW, I had tried cleaning it with my glasses cloth, applied pressure, and it left a FUCKING VISIBLE GASH on the screen.

NO MATTER WHAT CLOTH YOU ARE USING TO CLEAN YOUR PSP, NEVER, EVER APPLY ANY PRESSURE TO IT.

Amir0x

Banned
mrklaw said:
Are Metal Gear, Mercury and Wipeout all launch titles? I wonder if I dare test the region coding by preordering before someone else tests it?

Yes, those three titles are damn-near guaranteed for launch. And yes, I agree... pending reviews/impressions... it seems like one of the better videogame launches ever orchestrated.

Sho Nuff: That sounds horrific. And I'm compulsive. That shit is going to piss me off. I'm going to invest in a protector for sure now.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I have a PSP reserved... but honestly I have NO idea what games I'm getting for it... I really don't have a clue yet....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CVXFREAK said:
Damnit, the U.S. launch looks to be quite lame compared to the Japanese one. Oh well, Lumines for me. :D

You've got to be joking...

The US launch crushes the JP launch easily, I'd say...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i wont be getting a psp till later, but im buying lumines cause i have a feeling itl be hard to find a few months after launch.

Forsete

Great thread Amir0x! :D

Got a PSP preordered. I hope I get one at launch, it would suck having to wait an extra week or so.. An extra week filled with GAF PSP impressions.. Horrible! :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey Amirox, can I preorder US games then chop off your bollocks if there is region coding? :p

BTW, someone get this to 50 replies quick so I don't have to keep loading this damn first page.

Amir0x

Banned
mrklaw said:
Hey Amirox, can I preorder US games then chop off your bollocks if there is region coding? :p

Hey, you sure can. But we had this discussion eighteen times... that's why I'm a bit exhausted to keep explaining it. Last time we debated about it we had like three confirmations from the "insiders" at GAF BESIDES the one hundred confirmations from Sony that the games will indeed be region free.

I don't understand why Sony would plain out lie this close to the US launch. They stated that although the option is there games will be region free.

But, there's still a 0.5% possibility that it's not region-free. In which case I'll gladly chop off my own bollocks and then hunt down the bollocks of everyone who works at Sony for keepin' the deception going for so long. :p

duckroll

YAY! Amir0x, great thread! I expect this thread to get much more interesting as we get closer to launch. Oh and if there IS region coding on the games, everyone with a J PSP is invited to chip in on a nuclear warhead that we're going to fire at Kutaragi's ass because it talks too much. :lol

Top Bottom