• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, UL is my most played game too. Lumines a close second, with a sprinkling of my other games.

I'm playing through as an Alchemist as well, and while I like the Poison shot, I've concentrated on building up my Chain Lightning and what ever the spell is where you drop the explosive pots. I can drop three of those little land mines now, and chain lightning will jump to four enemies, so I'm pretty adept at taking out bad guys quickly. I think I'm about level 24 right now. .

The poison shot is actually a larger "area of effect" spell and it does three rounds of damage. I think I've got it maxed out at level 20 and it does 120-155 damage * 3 for some mega damage. Much, much better than the chain lightning, IMO. I kind of gave up on the land mines, going with the GOLEM instead. And when I bother doing it, you can detonate him :D.

lachesis

I broke down on friday, and bought mine at B&H. I've searched several game stores and they were all sold out - and I was just least skeptical that B&H might carry it - but surely they did, but with some sort of their own version of Bundle package. The price I paid for was 320 dollars - and it came with original value pack with Spiderman and demo umd, plus intec aluminum carrying case and screen protector seal. Bit over priced, but oh well.

Mine actually has a couple of dead pixels - bothersome, but I'm just too lazy to exchange it. Chances are, I might end up getting another PSP when this one breaks down (as I have done so with past sony products) - so I don't really care that much. ;)
(I've went through 3 original PSXes and 2 PS2s.)

Anyhow, this thing is a sexy beast. I am exicted to have it - and I've just got Ridge Racer and Lumines for the game. (and Lumines is getting pretty much all the playing time) - but I doubt I would get any games for near future - perhaps Hotshots golf.

Currently looking for 1gig memory cards... and B&H had one for around 100 dollars. (all sold out, though - while there was a Sony one for 160+ dollars, which I will definitely pass) It would be neat to be able to encode and watch whatever I want - but there are several things that I have to do, though - such as getting USB2 card for my old PC, and learn the encoding, which.. I'm not sure I have time and energy to do so.

Generally, I'm glad I got it, but its initial shock is wearing off rather quickly. Call me jaded, but it's just like a portable PS2 with sexy design, and after playing games like MGS3, RE4, Halo2 and WE8 LE on my big screen, it's little to hard to be satisfied. ;)

lachesis

Can't seem to find a system in Schaumburg, and pretty much every store I went to had other people asking for systems. About all I know now is that EB's return "policy" is scary and that Best Buy is going beyond the call of duty to sell games even if there's nothing to play it on but a store demo. :lol

Fix

Banned
Yikes what a monster thread. Can anybody answer this:

Is there a definitive site to go to for non-gaming PSP software/ all the cool little things people are doing with it?

Mrbob

Crazymoogle said:
Can't seem to find a system in Schaumburg, and pretty much every store I went to had other people asking for systems. About all I know now is that EB's return "policy" is scary and that Best Buy is going beyond the call of duty to sell games even if there's nothing to play it on but a store demo. :lol

Take a little 3 hour trip north if you want one. I live near central Wisconsin and there are plenty of PSP units in stock at Walmart.

Mrbob said:
Take a little 3 hour trip north if you want one. I live near central Wisconsin and there are plenty of PSP units in stock at Walmart.

Sadly, that's definitely not an option, for reasons that would create a rather huge post. :lol Good to know though, I suppose.

When I watch movies on my PSP sometimes the image kinda bleeds and trails (the best way I can describe it) especially if Spider-Man moves quickly, is it normal for the encoding or the screen? Not really that bothersome now, but when I pick up House of Flying Daggers I'm thinking the whole fucking screen is gong to be a big blob.

Crazymoogle said:

Target in Chicago (Elston Ave) had some last week still.

my other 2 PSP are on the way :)

Ref no: PSP-1001K
Qty: 2 Sony PSP System Value Pack - USA $310.00 Each

Ref no: ULUS-10001
Qty: 3 Ridge Racer - USA $40.00 Each

Ref no: UCUS-98612
Qty: 3 Wipeout Pure - USA $43.00 Each

Subtotal $869.00
Shipping $60.40
Sales Tax $0.00
-------------------
--
Total $929.40

SUPER cool

Nester

A post at Gamefaqs says that EGM says that Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee does in fact have Online Play added in, why is probably why it was delayed to May.

Seeing as this is coming from Gamefaqs I'm not sure if I should believe it. Anyone with a recent EGM that can confirm this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SpeedRazor said:
A post at Gamefaqs says that EGM says that Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee does in fact have Online Play added in, why is probably why it was delayed to May.

Seeing as this is coming from Gamefaqs I'm not sure if I should believe it. Anyone with a recent EGM that can confirm this?

I have the new EGM but I haven't really read it. I'll do a quick overlook

edit: whoever posted that at gamefaqs needs to improve their reading skills

From EGM: "We're not really sure why Sony chose to delay the release of this pick-up-and-play golf romp (it was a launch title back in December in Japan...maybe they're adding true online play), but at least it'll be a good reason to power up the ole' PSP come summertime. Dependable gameplay, fully customizable golfing avatars, and nice-looking greens are par for the course"

Not a confirmation of online play

Ignatz Mouse said:
Target in Chicago (Elston Ave) had some last week still.

Strangely enough, I tried cruising down Barrington Rd. instead of Golf (the two intersect) and managed to find a Target and Gamestop (across the road from each other, even) that each had 8+ units and basically the entire launch lineup of games.

So, weakness right in front of me, I bought the system, Lumines, Ridge Racers, Metal Gear Acid, and USB->MiniUSB cable.

Dammit.

1GB pro duo's still seem to be something of folklore here though.

Nester

Wario64 said:
I have the new EGM but I haven't really read it. I'll do a quick overlook

edit: whoever posted that at gamefaqs needs to improve their reading skills

From EGM: "We're not really sure why Sony chose to delay the release of this pick-up-and-play golf romp (it was a launch title back in December in Japan...maybe they're adding true online play), but at least it'll be a good reason to power up the ole' PSP come summertime. Dependable gameplay, fully customizable golfing avatars, and nice-looking greens are par for the course"

Not a confirmation of online play

:( Thanks for checking.

Gregory

Banned
I just ordered a japanese PSP. Kind of regret it because I just remembered the UMD movie issue. Anyone heard anything more about if European UMD movies will work on japanese units?

Also, will I be able to play online with it here, once it`s released in Europe?

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
So I've decided to return my psp back to EBX and get a new one. The one I have, I've only had for 6 days....and while I've been nothing but happy with it, the system has been faulty. I play twisted metal, since that's the only game I bought with it, and from time to time I get nothing but static coming from the speakers, and that's with the sound not even turned up to max. This also happens from time to time when I'm playing video or mp3s.

My question for you Gaffers, is there anyway that I can come out ahead with this exchange? Is it possible for me to keep the battery or something....maybe the memory stick? I know that I'm gonna be getting all new ones....but I'm sure all of us like free stuff. Anyone have to deal with a psp return at there store?

sammy

GMUNYIFan said:
So I've decided to return my psp back to EBX and get a new one. The one I have, I've only had for 6 days....and while I've been nothing but happy with it, the system has been faulty. I play twisted metal, since that's the only game I bought with it, and from time to time I get nothing but static coming from the speakers, and that's with the sound not even turned up to max. This also happens from time to time when I'm playing video or mp3s.

My question for you Gaffers, is there anyway that I can come out ahead with this exchange? Is it possible for me to keep the battery or something....maybe the memory stick? I know that I'm gonna be getting all new ones....but I'm sure all of us like free stuff. Anyone have to deal with a psp return at there store?

... I donno... but go ahead and purchase a waranty plan with the next one so you can replace the next if it needs to be done (hint for those with dead/stuck pixels -- you can trade the PSP back in if it has dust under the screen --- mine did, and the clerk couldn't see it, still replaced it)

Also GMUNYIFan --- the PSP was my first ever purchase of a waranty plan, I highly reccomend it with any future SONY product...

evil ways

GMUNYIFan said:

They check everything in the box at least EBs and Gamestops do.

llTll

Banned
i have a question. why when i encode a movie on the PSP [ mpeg4 ] the sound come before the picture????

its like i was converting Dragon Ball. the Goku was screaming from a fight it still didnt happen on the screen.

its jsut like the sound come first then the picture/ and at the end of the movie. u see picture without sound [ because the sound was ahead during the playing ]

Pleasant surprise today, my PSP was sitting on my desk and i happened to notice the two rectangular copper colored pieces under the DC in 5V connector for the first time. I was curious about them so i decided to poke around the manual and surprisingly enough they were listed in the manual as charging terminals. These make the thoughts of a docking station even better since you could just plop the PSP in there and it'd eventually right itself and charge heh. Definitely convenient because i'd assumed any docking station would need you to fiddle with it so that some kind of plug would fit in the DC in 5V connector. Among other things Sony needs to get going on this, the thought of buying a 3rd party one really doesn't appeal to me :lol. Kinda surprised that Sony hasn't announced or released any other official accessories/peripherals since the jap launch.

quetz67

Banned
Gregory said:
I just ordered a japanese PSP. Kind of regret it because I just remembered the UMD movie issue. Anyone heard anything more about if European UMD movies will work on japanese units?

Should be no problem, it is region code 2

I traded in some old old games yesterday and got Ultold Legends and Darkstalkers. Wow! As much as I have been loving Lumines, WO: P and TM: HO, I think Ultold Legends is going to dominate my machine for a while.

Darkstalkers is OK, though I am not the hugest fighting game fan. It's a gret way to show of the screen to people, though! Load time on it are annoying, however. UL has long loads, too, but at least not so often.

Welcome to the Untold Legends fan club! :) I've been loving the game since I picked it up on launch day, and think it's a lot of fun. It's one of the more underated launch games, imho. And as some of us have said already, the game gets better the further you go. Enjoy, it's got plenty to see and do, and it's quite long.

Yusaku

You know, the screen on this thing is really odd. For an LCD it has a great viewing angle, several people could watch a movie with no problem. And for the most part it has a good response time, EXCEPT for red colors. Response time for colors is different on every LCD (which is why two monitors with the same response time may appear to have different levels of ghosting), but the PSP is just silly. I was playing Mercury recently, and I had several different color blobs. When I rotated the screen you could see this black shadow following the red blob, because the pixels couldn't update fast enough.

just got my 2 extra PSP´s plus 3 copies of Wipeout and Ridge racer
REZ_5617b83a-9cba-4718-8a77-c09236239b29.jpg

WIFI rules man i love it,
was plying with my friends all night yesterday.

oh and the desktop pic is the best episode of southpark ever

quetz67

Banned
Just got my PDAir leather case.

Very happy with it, looks and feels great. Best thing you can hold the PSP much more comfortable with big hands.

Definately recommended, although I wont use it for carrying an extra UMD.

jonhuz

Just got my Japanese value pack through, 0 dead pixels - woohoo.
Anyhoos, whats the deal with Wipeout downloads, can you download to pc/transfer onto memory stick, or does it have to be through in-game browser?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Didn't want to start an enitrely new thread for this so I just bumped this one. I loved my PSP before, but now the thing is jumped to almost legendary status for me. I just started a new job and instead of offices, we have cubicles. Unfortunately have alot of downtime waiting for data to process and upload, so now my PSP is getting daily 5+ hours of non-gaming use. I get up in the morning, put some videos and songs on my PSP and I jam out to the music while working and look at TV shows when waiting for work. I am loving this! Not earth shattering, but I was one of the people who said he would never use the Music/Video capabilities of the PSP at all. I have proven myself wrong. But a new set of headphones were a must for all this PSP use. The ones that came with it were killing my ears.

I am hoping that the PSP was designed with this much use in mind. Because it is going to get a ton of use from me.

Miburou

Yeah, a lot of people should give the multimedia capabilities of the PSP a try before writing them off. I use my PSP more for watching sitcoms than playing game, something I never thought I'd do.

Top Bottom