• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Actually, I haven't been using it much. Yesterday was the first time in 3 days I even booted it up. :lol
Yeah, same here. DDS has been eating up the past few days, and today was the first time I booted it up since Monday. Oh well. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My DDS hasn't arrived. Was playing some Dynasty Warriors 5, but... *shrugs*

I've got 7 DS games, 5 PSP games, and I can't be arsed to play any of 'me. Dunno.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
My DDS hasn't arrived. Was playing some Dynasty Warriors 5, but... *shrugs*

I've got 7 DS games, 5 PSP games, and I can't be arsed to play any of 'me. Dunno.
I only booted up my DS to restart Fire Emblem, even though Touch & Go was sitting right in there. :lol

Lumines hasn't left my PSP even though I have 4 other games to play and I haven't even booted that up for several days. I only played for about 15 minutes today after school before jumping on DDS.

Yusaku

Want a cheap and effective way to carry your PSP and games?

Get the PSPurse! Aka, an army surplus ammo bag ($8!). Then add a round Altoids tin for UMDs (holds 3, 4 if you don't mind a tight fit.)

Also, Dell sells the 1GB Pro Duo for $95.19. It's not in stock, but at that price I'm willing to wait.

Miburou

I've got a love/hate relation going on with MGA. The game is cool most of the times, but then you get into a situation where you're waiting 10 minutes for the right card to turn up. And I wish I could skip the slowdown-ridden shooting animation.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
when I bought my psp it didn't show any pixels that could be stuck/dead...but after playing it for 2 days it appears that there are 2 stuck/dead pixels. Will these come and go...hopefully go?

BTW I'm playing TM Head on...and I'm up to Tower Tooth w/outlaw. Damn that guy is hard to kill.

Bobety

I'm going to be getting my PSP in may, just after E3 when my friend goes on his free trip to the US for the convention (That lucky fuck)

So i was wondering if you guys could help me determine what defects he should test for just to make absolutely sure its ok. So far I figure he should check for dead/stuck pixels against a white screen (psp load up screen) and a black screen, i doubt he'll be bothered downloading different coloured pictures and checking them all.. also I'll tell him to check the psp screen for scratches dents by looking at it under bright light while its off, and make sure the square button doesnt stick and is fairly responsive.

Is there anything else I'm missing that he should check? I'm being a real tightarse about it because a) I'm pedantic about my games/consoles b)the PSP is damn expensive and c) since he's going to buy it while overseas, if it screws up there will be no way to return it at all. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance :D

quetz67

Banned
Just got my PSP :) Japanese Value Pack (with RR, Chaos Tower, MGA)

The Good:

- Screen is fantastic (1 dead pixel, but it does not bother me, although I returned my GBA SP for one)
- Graphics are all you ever need at that screen size
- Sound is very good
- Can hold and control it better than my GBA SP and hope it even feels more comfortable with leather case.

The Bad:

Actually there is no bitching about what it does, thats absolutely fine, the price and battery life are more than adequate.

Only when compared to my GBA SP (which I just sold) it feels very breakable. I cant just carry it around in my jacket all the time without caring about battery life at all. For not damaging it I will need to put more money into a case, UMD cases and screen protector.

I would have loved a clamshell design the size of the screen and GBA SP durabilty. But I know I cant have everything so I am really happy with it.

btw. Forget my WLAN question, I just found the switch on the left side - just updating through WLAN.

quetz67

Banned
yeah right, i said that about a nomad and then a gba. It will only get better psp2 and gameboy next

I never thought that, I found the Nomad graphics great, put far from perfect. I found the GBA graphics great for 2D but bad in resolution and power for 3D.

Thinking about the nomad, I must say another feature I really miss on the PSP is the TV-Out, I loved that on the Nomad. That plus a DualShock input for 2-Player on TV.

yeah the nomad is awesome and i would play that the most out of all the portables i have until the psp came out. hopefully sony will release a umd player for ps3 or something like that. but im sure the resolution and jaggies would kill your eyes on a big screen

jenov4

GMUNYIFan said:
when I bought my psp it didn't show any pixels that could be stuck/dead...but after playing it for 2 days it appears that there are 2 stuck/dead pixels. Will these come and go...hopefully go?

BTW I'm playing TM Head on...and I'm up to Tower Tooth w/outlaw. Damn that guy is hard to kill.

Yikes, mine appeared after playing it for about 5 days. I'm pretty sure they won't go away on its own. Try to return it from where ever you get yours. My EB exchanged it without any questions asked. I guess it's a common problem.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone know how long the orange light is suppose to be lit after the charge gets 100%? I tried removing my battery and reinserting it like someone said, but the battery remains lit even when it's 100%. It's not until I replug the AC adaptor that the orange light doesn't appear...don't know if it's actaully overcharging or not

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I hope I didn't screw my battery up...I didn't fully recharge it when I first got it. I charged till around 80% and then brought it outside to play...

Shompola

Banned
I didnt fully recharge it either when I first got it. Infact I played with it for an hour before I charged it for another hour.

sammy

Will dead pixels work themselves out?!?!?

I have a waranty at GameStop, and just traded in my defunkt (BUT NO DEAD PIXELS) PSP for a new one... and it's got uppwards of 8 stuck pixels, espesially on a black screen....

But GameStop wont take it back, they say Sony told them it has to have 15 or more... and they said Sony told them to tell everyone to play the PSP for 2 weeks, and the pixels should work themselves out... WTF??!!

Edit... also how do you get dust out from under the screen... I gotta few particles that fuckin' GLOW when the machine is on.

Mine does that "orange light forever" thing, too. It's not exactly forever with mine; the light will sometimes stay on for several hours after the charge shows 100%, though it does *eventually* turn off. If I replug the charger it goes right off, like you said.

I hadn't been worrying about it, figuring that at most it would just be trickle charge going in, but I don't really know anything about rechargeable batteries. Is this cause for concern beyond the annoyance of it?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
All I know is that overcharging recharagable batteries is a problem. I'm not sure if that applies to Li-ion batteries though, but I'm still very concerned about it. I think the orange light went off when I recharged it the first time too, but it was maybe like 30 minutes after it was 100%.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wario64 said:
All I know is that overcharging recharagable batteries is a problem. I'm not sure if that applies to Li-ion batteries though, but I'm still very concerned about it. I think the orange light went off when I recharged it the first time too, but it was maybe like 30 minutes after it was 100%.
You're right, PSP uses a Lithium-Ion battery, so it can't be overcharged. Like I said last page, these batteries have no "memory effect". Meaning, overcharging does no harm, charging in short bursts does no harm, completely discharging them does no harm, etc. My camera, camcorder and iPod all use a Li-Ion battery, and I keep them charging more often than not. Never had any problems. I've had the iPod a year, camera and camcorder for two years. Batteries aren't dumb anymore.

If you're still worried though, I'd say just unplug the PSP after a few hours. It only takes that long to charge it anyways.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sweet, looks like the chances of ruining the battery by 'overcharging' is low anyway. It needs to be a long overcharge like 24 hours apparantly to really damage it

And yes Ridge Racer rox! It's so thrilling to go through turns at 170+ MPH without crashing...the speed is insane

Bowser

bishoptl said:
RIDGE RACER

OMG it's like sex for my eyes!

Indeed. I've beat 13 tours so far (10 on Basic, 3 on Pro). Don't laugh at me, I don't play like 5 straight hours like some of you guys (my hands start hurting after an hour or so)! :p

sammy

SWEET! got to trade back in my PSP because of the dust under the screen (GameStop waranty) --- man those dust speckles were like neon rods shining...

got a new unit : D flawless, no dead/stuck nothin'

Wario64 said:
Sweet, looks like the chances of ruining the battery by 'overcharging' is low anyway. It needs to be a long overcharge like 24 hours apparantly to really damage it

I'm not sure even that is possible under normal conditions. Most Li-ion batteries have internal components to make sure the battery stops charging past a certain voltage (a good thing because overcharged lithium batteries have a tendency to catch fire if those safeguards were to fail and the battery went much above the 4.3v). Li-ion is nearly as vulnerable at low voltage as the battery will accumulate damage and eventually stop working at all if it has no charge for a very long time.

So don't worry about charging, although I absolutely don't recommend doing it if your PSP battery was hot to the touch.

Sumidor

I think my PSP is retarded. Or I am. I just got it, charged it, and the orange light turned off after 20 minutes. o_O But when I un-plug it, and then plug it back in, the light comes back on. I turned it on, with it plugged in. But if it's not plugged in, it won't turn on. There's like 55+ pages on this thread, so there's no way in hell i'm going through ALL of them.

aoi tsuki

Sumidor said:
I think my PSP is retarded. Or I am. I just got it, charged it, and the orange light turned off after 20 minutes. o_O But when I un-plug it, and then plug it back in, the light comes back on. I turned it on, with it plugged in. But if it's not plugged in, it won't turn on. There's like 55+ pages on this thread, so there's no way in hell i'm going through ALL of them.
There's a thing called the table of contents you might wanna check out. i also posted the online manual in this thread a few pages back.

Sumidor

Wow, thanks for the advice that any idiot would have already tried! I've read the manual, twice. It's not helping. The only advice it gives, is that to check if the battery is in. And unless there's a real battery and fake one, and i'm missing the real one. I'm pretty sure I got that part covered.

Ironclad

Sumidor said:
You should discharge the entire battery. Leave your PSP on without the charger plugged in and then just leave it on. When the battery is drained, charge it fully before turning it back on. If that doesn't work, send it to Sony and have them give you a new one.

Regarding Ridge Racer: I am absolutely loving the game. All of the tracks they brought in from the previous titles are absolutely great, and I still have a few of them memorized. :lol I was playing today for about two hours after putting Lumines on ice.

Sumidor

You should discharge the entire battery. Leave your PSP on without the charger plugged in and then just leave it on. When the battery is drained, charge it fully before turning it back on. If that doesn't work, send it to Sony and have them give you a new one.

I thought about that, but the problem is. If it's not plugged into the charger, it won't turn on at all. It would be a hell of a thing if I could drain the battery with being charged at the same time. :p

Ironclad

Sumidor said:
I thought about that, but the problem is. If it's not plugged into the charger, it won't turn on at all. It would be a hell of a thing if I could drain the battery with being charged at the same time. :p
Plug it in, turn it on. Leave it in for five minutes. Take it out. Hopefully it's still on. If not, check the warranty section of the manual and have fun dealing with Sony customer service.

Sumidor

Plug it in, turn it on. Leave it in for five minutes. Take it out. Hopefully it's still on. If not, check the warranty section of the manual and have fun dealing with Sony customer service.

Again.. i've tried it already to no luck :( The SECOND I unplug it, it turns off. Customer service.. here I come...

Probably already asked but: Is there a way to select a scene in SpiderMan 2 through a menu, without hitting the right trigger a bunch of times to where I left off. Also, probably already asked so forgive me, how much power does sleep mode consume?

BTW: I love my PSP. :D

Anyone playing Untold Legends made it to the Dreamscape yet? Pretty cool visuals, and the icy/wintery areas beyond are nice as well. The game sure is a fun hack-n-slash rpg. Lots of quests and things to do, although game play is kind of repetitive. Sill, I'm having lots of fun with it.

flsh

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yes, there's an option in the settings that does that.
Do you know of it's like that with asian PSPs? My brother flies to china tomorrow for a week and said he will look for one :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
flsh said:
Do you know of it's like that with asian PSPs? My brother flies to china tomorrow for a week and said he will look for one :p

JPN and US PSP's allow you to change language in the system menu. I assume all PSPs will let you do that regardless of region

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone playing Untold Legends made it to the Dreamscape yet? Pretty cool visuals, and the icy/wintery areas beyond are nice as well. The game sure is a fun hack-n-slash rpg. Lots of quests and things to do, although game play is kind of repetitive. Sill, I'm having lots of fun with it.

Just got there last night!

Yes, the graphics seemed to take a huge leap because of the level design and textures. I have played this game WAAAYYY too much doing each of the sidequests and going through each level even when I wasn't supposed to for the particular quest. Then I find out that I have to go back MULTIPLE times for various later quests.

So basically, I've been doing alot of extra leveling up. I'm playing as an alchemist and the poison shot is way too effective. I can take out just about everyone with a few shots into the room, or a boss with continuous shots, with maybe one power refill. That and i use to Golem to block out enemies from attacking me.

Cooper

Got through the main game in Untold Legends on Wednesday during a business trip. Nothing like the PSP for those long airplane trips. Played as a berserker and finished up at level 37. Game lost much of its challenge after getting the dual wield skill at level 15, but still fun. Going to play again as an alchemist and see how that changes things.

Shompola

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yup made it to that and beyond. Funny the game gets better and better, even the music is getting better. Untold Legends is IMO probably as good as BG : DA and the game I have played most on the PSP so far.

Yeah, UL is my most played game too. Lumines a close second, with a sprinkling of my other games.

I'm playing through as an Alchemist as well, and while I like the Poison shot, I've concentrated on building up my Chain Lightning and what ever the spell is where you drop the explosive pots. I can drop three of those little land mines now, and chain lightning will jump to four enemies, so I'm pretty adept at taking out bad guys quickly. I think I'm about level 24 right now.

As I said earlier, it gets a little repetitive in it's game play, but still fun. If UL had mixed in some puzzels and more role-playing elements, this would have climbed up into the ranks of the best games at launch. Still, like I said, it's a lot of fun to play, and I agree that it is getting better the further in you play. I actually like the music quite a bit now, but some of the other sounds, and animations for that matter, get pretty repetitive.

newsguy

Whatever happened to the PSP not selling so well? All I hear online is how all these stores have so many in stock, but it's certainly not the case where I live. My brother wants a PSP since he saw mine, so he came to my place today so we could get one. We went to 2 Targets, 2 Kmarts, EB and Gamestop and all were sold out. The guys at gamestop have a couple left but they are for pre-orders only.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
newsguy said:
Whatever happened to the PSP not selling so well? All I hear online is how all these stores have so many in stock, but it's certainly not the case where I live. My brother wants a PSP since he saw mine, so he came to my place today so we could get one. We went to 2 Targets, 2 Kmarts, EB and Gamestop and all were sold out. The guys at gamestop have a couple left but they are for pre-orders only.

Mostly sold out here in the bay area too...I guess there's high demand in some parts of the country

Scoobert

How can they still be holding units for pre-orders? Unless it's a second shipment that is just insane. I think word of mouth has spread about the PSP. More people have seen it, and some have saved up there money.

I'll tell you though, most people who initially pre-ordered never bothered to come get their PSP. At one if any store really needed any more systems, we just had to call the DM and we would get more in.

Top Bottom