• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

AZ Greg

I have a PSP question. On my square button the little inside cover around the button seems to have moved and now I can see some of the metal in my PSP. Is this common? Will it cause a problem or does it just happen over time? Should I exchange it? Thanks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mrbob said:
You can get the Koei case in North America from EB and Gamestop but you have to buy the Dynasty Warriors PSP premium bundle to get it:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256410.asp

256410.jpg

The Dynasty Warriors Premium Pack includes:

* Dynasty Warriors
* PSP Deluxe Case
* 43-Page Dynasty Warriors Character Artbook
* Dynasty Warriors Calendar
The case, character art book, and calendar are exclusive to the Dynasty Warriors Premium Pak!

$69.99 + tax

Ugh, wish they would sell it seperately...but I wouldn't buy it at $30

I saw this at Gamestop for $20, it's by "Naki World"

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PSP-30002

Anyone have any impressions on that?

shpankey

not an idiot
got my copy of Untold Legends for PSP the other day and have been playing it ever since. omg, let me say this... I AM IN LOVE!!! this game is fucking incredible! and if you are a Diablo II fan do not even fucking hesitate, got get this right now! it's like sex and crack and chocolate all combined into one!

i can't believe this PSP. first Ridge Racer now Untold Legends. i have not the words to emphasize just how much i love this system and these games.

next up.. Lumines. but to be honest, it's gonna have to wait, cause i can't stop playing Untold Legends and Ridge Racer... and it's dammned hard enough to chose between those two.

Mrbob

Did you play Return to Arms?

I'm looking between Untold Legends and Return to Arms. My focus is mainly on the single player aspect as I don't like to play random games online. Untold legends have a better single player than RTA?

shpankey

not an idiot
Mrbob, sorry I haven't played that yet. Although I did play their first game (which was on Xbox and PS2) although I forget the name (damn my memory) and this is every bit as good as that. The flaws that everyone has pointed out are there (ghosting, seams in graphics, and white dots) but to me, it's not all that bad. The ghosting is only in certain spots. The dots are probably the most annoying. But none of that is a big concern to me as I am so addicted to the gameplay.

The thing I like the most is the GUI and how good they done it and just how well thought out it is. You can tell they really thought about this. For instance: You can easily compare your items to items you are considering to purchase (by pushing down on the d-pad). Basically everything concerning the GUI is perfect imo and makes the whole experience fun and easy.

Also, I am only playing single player right now. The story is pretty average and I am not really into it at all. So that for sure could have been done better. But I am addicted to the hack-n-slashing and upgrading that is the draw to these type of games. And this is where the game excells. And besides for those graphic quirks, the graphics are fantastic. Everything you put on your body shows on your character ingame perfectly too. The music is AAA+++ and is just perfect! You will adore the music. Probably the best music in a game in a long time, yes it's that good!

Also, the control is splendid here. And also the buttons mappings are great as well; and like I said, the GUI is simply genius. So when you put these 3 together, you got one really, REALLY, damn well playing game.

Just get it bud, it won't let you down, I promise you are gonna love it! Everything about this game, other than a few graphical quirks, is brilliant!

newsguy

AZYUMA86 said:
I have a PSP question. On my square button the little inside cover around the button seems to have moved and now I can see some of the metal in my PSP. Is this common? Will it cause a problem or does it just happen over time? Should I exchange it? Thanks.

I noticed this too. So far it hasn't affected performance, It shouldn't be a big deal.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mrbob said:
Did you play Return to Arms?

I'm looking between Untold Legends and Return to Arms. My focus is mainly on the single player aspect as I don't like to play random games online. Untold legends have a better single player than RTA?
I've played through RtA and I've got a lvl 18 Druid in Untold Legends at the moment. Short answer to your question - I'm liking the single-player in Untold Legends over the SP in RtA.

If you played Champions of Norrath, the single player experience is largely the same in RtA. Many environment tilesets and creature skins are reused in RtA from CoN and some of the new ones are uninspired. New to the game structure are side challenges that range from arena combat to standard level runs with slightly different objectives/parameters than main quest levels. The main quest itself can be played from a good or evil perspective which changes very little. Like the "save the kitties" level in CoN, Snowblind has decided to include even more diversions from the standard dungeon hack formula that simply don't fit - like a "stealth" level and a "block push" level where the game clearly makes no control accomodations for either

Beyond that, it's still delivers the best feel for straight dungeon hack combat right now on consoles, but that hasn't evolved much from Snowblind's initial offering with BGDA.

I'd have to say I like Untold Legends better right now, if only because the Everquest setting has proven to be a little too generic and the original fantasy setting that SOE has crafted for UL, while by no means anything other than derivative, is still better realized I don't disagree with shpankey that the story could be considered average, but it's a hell of a lot better story and better delivered than what's on offer in RtA, even if it done completely through text. Beyond that UL is otherwise a very competent dungeon hack that handles the combat well, offers plenty of looting, has a decent art style with generally well-rendered environments and fairly diverse creature variety so far. Downsides are the load times and bit too much re-use of the same areas/dungeons for new objectives.

EGM92 said:
:lol :lol :lol Love the picture!

Curious though.. who is it? member of the forum?

no he is not a member nor does he play videogames, the thing is that i brought my PSP to work and he was amazed by it, so i told him if we could take some stupid pics of him with my PSP he said YES!

so we took a few stupid pics and now i am posting them around the net without him knowing about it hahahahaha.
he strictly told me not to post these on the net, but here i am posting them on the net hahahahah i am a bad bad man :)

oh and by the way guys, last night i discovered the sleep mode funktion, since i got my PSP i thought that to turn the PSP off i just had to flick the power button.

but now i know that if i just flick it, it puts the PSP in sleep mode!
so know i know why it powers up so fast for me all the time:)

i have not had my PSP turned entirely off since i got it 7 days ago:)

and i now know that if i play a game and need to do something else i can just put it in sleep mode and when i have time to play it again i just start the PSP up again.
i am impressed by this funktion.

does the sleep mode drain power out of the batteri?

my psp is 100% 5:47 hr

sounds a bit bad doesnt it?

Yusaku

Drey1082 said:
I'm doing the web browser thing but it's extreeeeeeeemly slow. Very cool that it's working though.

Turn off Wifi Power Saving mode for a speed boost (and suck away your batteries).

jiggle

robertsan21 said:
does the sleep mode drain power out of the batteri?

Yes it does, but very little.

Another neat function of the sleep mode is, when you run out of battery and the PSP shuts down with no warning, the game actually goes into sleep mode. Once you plug in the ac adapter, you can continue right where you left off.

jiggle said:
Yes it does, but very little.

Another neat function of the sleep mode is, when you run out of battery and the PSP shuts down with no warning, the game actually goes into sleep mode. Once you plug in the ac adapter, you can continue right where you left off.

WOW thats awsome!
i am truly impressed

eLGee

eLGee said:
I'm having trouble with my USB connecting to the PSP. I plug it in, transfer a file, but if the file is larger than, say about 3 mb, the USB disconnects and the only thing that is left on the PSP is a corrupted file. How do I fix this? Anyone?

Problem solved. I had a faulty USB-cable, so I replaced it, and it worked fine. :)

LUMINES IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!!

I think I like it, but I'm like a zombie when I play it. 2 hours goes by while my world is standing still. I took a 2-hour lunch today @ work. Very, very dangerous thing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
my psp is 100% 5:47 hr

sounds a bit bad doesnt it?
It's just an estimate. The battery life really depends heavily on what you are going to do with the PSP, and there's no way the OS can know that.

sonycowboy said:
LUMINES IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!! I HATE THIS GAME!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!!

I think I like it, but I'm like a zombie when I play it. 2 hours goes by while my world is standing still. I took a 2-hour lunch today @ work. Very, very dangerous thing.

i am at work now and i been playing lumines off and on all day, thanks to the sleep mode i turn it off when my boss comes walking in and when he leaves i switch it back in :D

i am on 65000 points as i write this, its a new record for me!!!

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Mrbob

When is Hot Shots coming out for PSP in North America? I get the feeling SCEA is using a Nintendo tactic by delaying the release of Hot Shots golf to help spread out the releases over the summer. :(

robot

Mrbob said:
When is Hot Shots coming out for PSP in North America? I get the feeling SCEA is using a Nintendo tactic by delaying the release of Hot Shots golf to help spread out the releases over the summer. :(

Ebgames says May 3rd - can't wait!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
worse -- i think scea is using the scea tactic of delaying a game in order to ruin it with their stupid characters and stupid jokes. just import! the menus are quite simple!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
drohne said:
worse -- i think scea is using the scea tactic of delaying a game in order to ruin it with their stupid characters and stupid jokes. just import! the menus are quite simple!

I'm really sitting on the fence about the game for this reason. Will they do what they did to the PS2 version? Or are they adding a robust online mode? I MUST KNOW.

Also, I used the Hori protector and I also just got the EXIM that is pictured on this page. The Hori is fine though. Put that on, use the included soft sleeve when I go anywhere with it (into a jacket pocket) and my machine is still perfect. I'm as nervous as the next guy about damaging the thing, but I'm over the anal retentiveness of keeping it perfect. If I can't "live" with the unit, I don't need it. So far SO GOOD.

Meantime

This is an old discussion, but for what it's worth - I picked up Darkstalkers the other day, and had no problem whatsoever pulling off QCF, HCF and DP moves. I still suck at the game, but the controls work just fine.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Also, the emulator guys who make life worth living really need to crack this bitch soon. My Tapwave's continued existence is based around being able to play Genesis/SNES games on the go.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there any way to not press X button 10 times every time I boot Wipeout Pure? I swear, that's my biggest complaint about this game. Once you get it running it's a smooth ride, but when you boot it:

- Press X to chose English (yes, EVERY time)
- Press X to skip the SCEA/ Studio Liverpul title sequence
- Press X to confirm that you understand you should not power the PSP down when it's saving data.
- Press X to skip intro video.
- Press X to skip the welcome screen.
- Press X to load game. Press X again to load speciffic file (although there's only one available)
- Press O to back to the game.

Wowzers! The main manu appears. Press X couple more time to start the race.

Am I crazy or is this really not bothering anyone else? (I haven't seen a single complaint about this, nor I've seen any settings that would help)

*edit* added one press x step that I forgot the first time around.

Meantime

Marconelly said:
Is there any way to skip pressing X button 10 times every time I boot Wipeout Pure? I swear, that's my biggest complaint about this game. Press X to chose English (yes, EVERY time) press X to confirm that you understand you should not power the PSP down when it's saving data. Press X to skip intro video. Press X to skip the welcome screen. Press X to load game. Press X again to load speciffic file (although there's only one available) Press O to back to the game.

Wowzers! The main manu appears.

Am I crazy or is this really not bothering anytone? (I haven't seen a single complaint about this nor I've seen any settings that would help)

No, you're right. It sucks. It feels like something that should be saved to the mem card the first time you play, but they just forgot.

Marconelly said:
Am I crazy or is this really not bothering anyone else? (I haven't seen a single complaint about this, nor I've seen any settings that would help)

Bugs me too.

*Especially* the warning about the memory card. For I while, I kept waiting for that screen to pass before I remembered I needed to hit a button. At least I don't need to check a "I've read this and I agree" box!

Marconelly said:
Is there any way to not press X button 10 times every time I boot Wipeout Pure? I swear, that's my biggest complaint about this game. Once you get it running it's a smooth ride, but when you boot it:

- Press X to confirm that you understand you should not power the PSP down when it's saving data.
- Press X to load game. Press X again to load speciffic file (although there's only one available)

Not ideal at all, but I rarely complain about things I cannot change I guess.

aoi tsuki

Yeah, the needless screens you've got to pass in WOP are excessive. The thing is that WOP lets you have multiple "profiles", though you'll only likely have one. On the plus side, you can skip the Liverpool Studios and similar screens.

DSFan1970

My PSP control (crosspad controls) automatically veers to the right. What is the cause of this and how do I fix it? There has been no trauma to it, nothing. It's like when you boot up the N64 and you hold the stick in that direction it automatticlally stays to that direction. What can I do? I tool out the battery. still the same thing. I am starting to panic.

Meantime

DSFan1970 said:
My PSP control (crosspad controls) automatically veers to the right. What is the cause of this and how do I fix it? There has been no trauma to it, nothing. It's like when you boot up the N64 and you hold the stick in that direction it automatticlally stays to that direction. What can I do? I tool out the battery. still the same thing. I am starting to panic.

Take it back to the place you got it from, I would think.

Meantime

DSFan1970 said:
Thanks...it's an import...I am f*cked...so I will take it apart tonight if nothing happens.

Doh, I'm sorry :( It's kinda sad that you can't just buy one without worrying, but that's how it is I guess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DSFan1970 said:
Thanks...it's an import...I am f*cked...so I will take it apart tonight if nothing happens.

Get in touch with your importer first to confirm if they will or won't take them back. Just because it's an import doesn't mean it can't necessarily be returned. Fingers crossed.

DSFan1970

gofreak said:
Get in touch with your importer first to confirm if they will or won't take them back. Just because it's an import doesn't mean it can't necessarily be returned. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help guys...So I took the battery out again and took the PSP and knocked it around on a notepad (softly) and I putthe battery back in and it worked. THANKFULLY! I was ready to pry this bad boy open tonight and thinking to purchsing an US PSP. UGH! I wonder if this will be a regular occurance or it is becasue of something I did. Anyway crisis mode: off. Thanks!

edit: It's happening again. argh.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:

I definetly agree with your complains. I undersand the reasons behind this procedure but they should have put an option in the Option screen to skip that shit If you wanted to.

Shompola

Banned
Hi,

have you tried to press the right cross button several times? It sounds like the right cross button is somewhat stuck even though you can't feel it. Or it is short circuiting somehow.
Opening it might fix the problem, just be careful. I think there are online descriptions on how to open it up withoud damaging it.

newsguy

DSFan1970 said:
Thanks for your help guys...So I took the battery out again and took the PSP and knocked it around on a notepad (softly) and I putthe battery back in and it worked. THANKFULLY! I was ready to pry this bad boy open tonight and thinking to purchsing an US PSP. UGH! I wonder if this will be a regular occurance or it is becasue of something I did. Anyway crisis mode: off. Thanks!

edit: It's happening again. argh.

Buy US PSP, return JAP PSP in US box. Get replacement, sell on Ebay, solved.

Mareg

Guys, whats the situation on the rumor that the PSP is internally underclocked to extend batteries life ? Thanks.

Mareg said:
Guys, whats the situation on the rumor that the PSP is internally underclocked to extend batteries life ? Thanks.

Its in this nightmare of a thread. Locked via firmware currently as is the GPU.

BuddyC

Marconelly said:

Sleep mode helps here, you'll only go through this if you've played another game. But yea, that's rather annoying.

Mareg said:
And it is no more a rumor !?
Right, it's confirmed. But it's entirely in the hands of Sony - a firmware update won't be necessary to unlock things, it's entirely depedant on the libraries Sony provides developers. So once they get access to them, you won't have to do anything to take advantage of it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
TTP said:
I definetly agree with your complains. I undersand the reasons behind this procedure but they should have put an option in the Option screen to skip that shit If you wanted to.
I wouldn't go that far. Having to skip through "presents" screens and intros is one thing, and something prevalent in most games. It just makes no sense that language and profiles aren't loaded automatically.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright. My 1gb card FINALLY came in the mail today.

Just successfully ripped my brand spanking new Star Wars Clone Wars Volume 1 DVD into 4 movie files, which I'm in the process of converting (with PSP Video 9 v.1.24) into MP4 format. I've already got two of them loaded onto my PSP and playing perfectly. With the other 2 coming up!

Woo!

Top Bottom