• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Mejilan said:
Alright, I don't feel like reading my manual. What is AVLS in the Sound Settings menu anyway?
It's an attempt to limit/normalize volume on PSP. I wouldn't use it, as the thing is quiet enough as is, even with headphones.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good enough for me. Thanks. I won't be playing music on it anyway, so I don't need a volume normalizer.

Now, anyone know how to convert avi videos to mp4? Apparently, PSP Video 9 can't do it. :(

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I know this has been asked before, but I don't feel like browsing through the thread. I know that you shouldn't completely discharge the battery before recharging it, but does it matter how much I should use the PSP before I charge it again? Like, even if I just use the PSP for twenty minutes, is it ok to go back and recharge it to full?

Also, should I buy Ridge Racers if I find it even though I'm hopelessly addicted to Lumines? Wipeout Pure hasn't even gone in the system yet :lol

Mejilan

Weird. Enabled Console Logging in the PSP Video 9 setup in order to log what the hell was going wrong, and now it's converting just fine. Oh wells. :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
SnowWolf said:
I know this has been asked before, but I don't feel like browsing through the thread. I know that you shouldn't completely discharge the battery before recharging it, but does it matter how much I should use the PSP before I charge it again? Like, even if I just use the PSP for twenty minutes, is it ok to go back and recharge it to full?
Yes. PSP uses a Lithium-Ion battery (like most new electronics); it doesn't have any "memory effect". You can charge it for as much as you want, as long as you want, even when unnecessary, with no negative effects.

SnowWolf said:
Also, should I buy Ridge Racers if I find it even though I'm hopelessly addicted to Lumines? Wipeout Pure hasn't even gone in the system yet :lol
Yes. I have about 20 games I've never even played. When you finally get around to playing both, you'll be pleased, they both rule.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Ridge Racer is just about the greatest thing even put on a portable. I haven't touched Wipeout, Ac!d, or Ape Escape, I spend 90% of my PSP time playing Ridge, and like 10% playing Lumines. Goddamn it's a good game.

I wonder how Midnight Club 3 will turn out. I'd like another good arcade racer (and MC is my 2nd favorite series behind RR) to play when I finish Ridge. Hmmmmm.

Lambtron said:
Ridge Racer is just about the greatest thing even put on a portable. I haven't touched Wipeout, Ac!d, or Ape Escape, I spend 90% of my PSP time playing Ridge, and like 10% playing Lumines. Goddamn it's a good game.

I wonder how Midnight Club 3 will turn out. I'd like another good arcade racer (and MC is my 2nd favorite series behind RR) to play when I finish Ridge. Hmmmmm.

I must also agree. I am completely enourmed with the game, even when a friend borrow one of my titles I was thinking, "please let it not be RR, please let it not be RR"...thankfully he picked Lumines (which I've played the fuck out of for the last 3 months, so no biggie).

aoi tsuki

Mejilan said:
Alright, I don't feel like reading my manual. What is AVLS in the Sound Settings menu anyway?
"Audio volume limiting system" IIRC. It's used in MDs and Discmans. If it's the same as in those units, it limits the volume to a certain level, but it's not the same as normalization. If you have two MP3s at different levels, it'll only limit the system volume to a certain level. i'll have to read the manual to be sure about though, they could've actually made it useful considering how well everything else works.

Edit: Just tried it and confirmed it with the PSP manual. Pretty much useless as usual. :)

The PSP manual is online: http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/Manuals.aspx

vatstep

aoi tsuki said:
"Audio volume limiting system" IIRC. It's used in MDs and Discmans. If it's the same as in those units, it limits the volume to a certain level, but it's not the same as normilization. If you have two MP3s at different levels, it'll only limit the system volume to a certain level. i'll have to read the manual to be sure about though, they could've actually made it useful considering how well everything else works.
You're right, it has nothing to do with normalization. I read the manual, though, and all it does is limit the maximum volume to "prevent sound from leaking from the headphones" and "prevent the possibility of not being able to hear outside noise". So, essentially, it just makes everything quieter. More useless than I thought.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm, is it possible to overcharge the battery? I dont know if my PSP is screwed or something, but the orange light remains lit when the battery is 100% complete. But if I take out the AC plug then replug it quickly, the orange light doesn't appear. I'm scared that it's accidently overcharging my battery..

fugimax

Hmm, is it possible to overcharge the battery? I dont know if my PSP is screwed or something, but the orange light remains lit when the battery is 100% complete. But if I take out the AC plug then replug it quickly, the orange light doesn't appear. I'm scared that it's accidently overcharging my battery..
The orange light should turn off when the battery is done charging.

I had a weird issue where the OS thought my battery was empty, but it said "charging complete" in the battery info. My battery was, in fact, empty, but would not charge. I had to pop the battery out and put it back in. Maybe you could try that?

Mrbob

PSP speaker output is a bit weak. But I bought some HIFI quality headphones and am very impressed with the sound quality now! :D

I love Wipeout Pure, but I don't know how much more of the frustration I can take. I think I just suck at the game as I keep on getting beat down by enemy craft and destroyed. Too much frustration or maybe just my suckiness but I need easier game to play. :p

Mejilan

aoi tsuki said:
"Audio volume limiting system" IIRC. It's used in MDs and Discmans. If it's the same as in those units, it limits the volume to a certain level, but it's not the same as normalization. If you have two MP3s at different levels, it'll only limit the system volume to a certain level. i'll have to read the manual to be sure about though, they could've actually made it useful considering how well everything else works.

Edit: Just tried it and confirmed it with the PSP manual. Pretty much useless as usual. :)

Thanks. I had already disabled it. :)

So, does the PSP have a NDS-like function that you can enable which would cause it NOT to autoboot a disc already in the drive? Or is there a button I can hold down, ala the GCN, while booting up that will cause it to go straight to the OS?

BuddyC

Mejilan said:
So, does the PSP have a NDS-like function that you can enable which would cause it NOT to autoboot a disc already in the drive? Or is there a button I can hold down, ala the GCN, while booting up that will cause it to go straight to the OS?
No. Best solution is just to have the UMD drive open.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Mejilan said:
Thanks. I had already disabled it. :)

Put the PSP to sleep while browsing the OS. When you "wake" your PSP, your game won't auto-boot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aoi tsuki said:

BTW, another reason to import. Its likely that EU versions of PSP will have AVLS forced upon us, like the Sony HDD walkmen and ipod. The EU want to protect our precious little ears (or they dont' want us listening to music on a plane..)

quetz67

Banned
Can someone recommend a good leather case? No need to be cheap, just work and look nice. No need for extra mem sticks, a pocket for an extra UMD would be nice, but no necessary. thanks

aoi tsuki

Do a search for "PSP case". There's a thread with links there. Intec, Mad Catz, and i believe Naki make cases that you can slide the PSP into, and there's a few other "wallet" style leather cases made by PDA case manufacturers if you don't need full protection of your PSP.

Edit: Haven't seen this posted here, but Naki World makes a USB-powered cradle that looks pretty slick. Looks better than the Intec model, though a blue charging LED would be nice. :)

con-psp-30003-unit.jpg

i'm assuming the PSP AC adaptor would also work with this, though USB works well for me seeing as how i already have to unplug my SP cradle/charger to make space for my PSP.

Unison

Yusaku said:
Uh, with AVLS you can't hear SHIT. The maximum volume is pretty weak to begin with, anything less would be a joke.

Here's to hoping the firmware corrects the max volume issue... I assume the lousy speakers are to blame for the low setting, but it's annoying to have to re-encode every video that I send to the PSP @ 200% volume so I can hear it on the subway (and even then max volume @ +2 video playback is lower than I'd like).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
vatstep said:
I wouldn't go that far. Having to skip through "presents" screens and intros is one thing, and something prevalent in most games. It just makes no sense that language and profiles aren't loaded automatically.

Well, it's a portable system. Chances are different people may be playing on the same system. I play the game in English language myself, but my brother goes for Italian (and he wants to load his profile).

Not that it takes ages to get through all that part anyway. Just hummer the X button furiously without even looking at the screen and you get to the Press Start Screen in 3 secs.

aoi tsuki

TTP said:
Well, it's a portable system. Chances are different people may be playing on the same system. I play the game in English language myself, but my brother goes for Italian (and he wants to load his profile).

Not that it takes ages to get through all that part anyway. Just hummer the X button furiously without even looking at the screen and you get to the Press Start Screen in 3 secs.
It's really an option that probably suits Europe moreso than the US. Here, a default English option would've sufficed. They could've easily had a "Load default profile?" prompt that would've been a fair middle ground between those that want to advance, and those that need to load another profile. But as it is, i just hammer the X button. :)

Argyle

aoi tsuki said:
Edit: Haven't seen this posted here, but Naki World makes a USB-powered cradle that looks pretty slick. Looks better than the Intec model, though a blue charging LED would be nice. :)

con-psp-30003-unit.jpg

i'm assuming the PSP AC adaptor would also work with this, though USB works well for me seeing as how i already have to unplug my SP cradle/charger to make space for my PSP.

This actually has a white LED in the cradle, which is always on (as long as it is receiving power). One thing that is nice is that it uses the terminals on the bottom of the PSP you just rest it in the cradle to charge it...and yes your power adapter will work (it comes with a USB charging cable). I have one on my desk at work in case I run out of juice while I'm...working. :) (Hey, gotta do something while my data compiles. :))

Quick Question:

Are there wireless headphones that one can get? I know it's simply a standard headphones jack. I pretty much take the PSP EVERYWHERE I go and the tangled mess of headphones is a real pain. Makes taking it out of my pockets a mess.

And I mean, real tiny. Not those huge ass ones.

BojTrek

Banned
How long did you have a PSP in your hands before you said... I must have this now?

Or I will buy this when... It was only 5 minutes for me and I said I will buy one when they get games I really enjoy.

I have hoped and hoped that some store would have a PSP on display... well the Best Buy on Golf Road in Schaumburg, IL near Woodfield Mall does...

They only have the DEMO disk running on it that displays videos of certain games...

I loaded the Ridge Racer video and it looks unreal... the NBA video looks decent...

But the screen is what sold me... I know we have the STICKY PSP topic... but this system is really beautiful running.

I will pick this system up when there are games that I do not have on X-Box appear...

I can get a great racing game on X-Box, same for golf and NBA... when Y's comes out, I might have to pick it up.

WOW! The graphics are PS2... to me... they look just as good as some of the PS2 games I have played.

EGM92

I didn't really want a PSP but when lik-sang posted movies of how the interface worked I imported a standard unit, it made browsing video/picture/music so simple!. I didn't even have to touch it to want it :p

How Long Did You Have A PSP In Your Hands Before... you orgasmed.

I've never touched a PSP, so, no pleasure here. Sounds like you had one after 5 seconds, thoughh.. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Virtually my entire circle of friends wanted one after a few minutes with the system. The screen is universally impressive, it seems.

The first I saw of a PSP was when I took my own out of the box. I felt overwhelming relief, and pure joy, when I first played Spiderman 2 and took in the beauty of the screen.

I'm just playing my friend's PSP right now. I can't exactly say I'm 'overwhelmed' by it, but the graphics are pretty nice.

I'd buy one for $150, but it'll be a while before that happens.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The funny thing is, the UMD video disc that shows games doesn't even do those games any justice. Videos are poorly encoded compared to what the games look like when running.

BojTrek

Banned
For me, it is really gonna be when the games start coming out for it...

I will wait for the 2nd. generation games and hopefully little issues with the system will be fixed.

It is really a sweet looking system... I was very impressed, more than just watching videos on different websites. Having it is your hand, it is great!

I lusted after the PSP before I ever laid my hands on it. Pre-ordered it right after the Japanese launch, and found it to meet and exceed all my expectations when I got it on launch day here in the States.

aoi tsuki

i honestly wasn't that impressed by the quality of the screen as much as the size of it. The screen takes up most of the face of the unit, which is impressive considering the size of the unit (wider than other portables yet still pretty small). i was also impressed by the sharp contrast of the dark black against the high luster gloss of it. Too bad Sony didn't pack in white gloves with it -- i don't think i'll ever get it looking that good again.

i thought it would be hard for me to go back to my SP after the PSP's graphics, but it's amazingly not. It really depends on the game though, as i'd imagine games like Wario Ware and Boktai that have an animated style to them would fare better on the SP than more realistic or detailed games.

Edit: i still hold to my original comments when it was first released that it's got too many buttons on the front. They could also stand to be a bit bigger. But it's a lot more impressive in person than on screen.

evil ways

I wanted it from the moment it was announced, except I told myself I was gonna wait until May-June when more games(GTA) were out. Then Alpha and a few others started pimping it hard about a week before the US release, and I ran to the store to pre-order 2 days before it came out. I don't regret it at all, I now find myself with a PSP and 4 awesome games.

Mrbob

Oh man. The PRO tracks are much tougher to make it through than the BASIC tour tracks. I breezed through the BASIC tour (Except for race 9 which took me like a half hour!) but once I've started PRO TOUR 10 I've been lucky to hit 2nd place. Really gotta know your maps! Plus I need to learn to drift a little differntly now with the faster paced cars. This game rocks more than I ever could have imagined. The only disappointing aspect is how Namco handled the car aspect with this game. There are 54 cars according to the back of the box, but there doesn't seem like a big incentive to unlock them as all the class cars seem to handle the same and go nearly the same speed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How many tours are there anyway? I'm working my way through on Pro tour and it's still relatively easy, but the room for error is much smaller. I see there's EX tours after Pro...any more after Ex?

Mrbob

I don't know, just going with the flow and unlocking what is available.

Between this and Wipeout I really suck at racing games! Well, I've never really played them before the PSP! Never felt like I had a good viewing area of the whole scene until I play racing games on a widescreen surface.

BuddyC

Wario64 said:
How many tours are there anyway? I'm working my way through on Pro tour and it's still relatively easy, but the room for error is much smaller. I see there's EX tours after Pro...any more after Ex?
Import had 39, then you guys get MAX Tour. So, over 40.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mrbob said:
I don't know, just going with the flow and unlocking what is available.

Between this and Wipeout I really suck at racing games! Well, I've never really played them before the PSP! Never felt like I had a good viewing area of the whole scene until I play racing games on a widescreen surface.

I've never really played the Wipeout and Ridge Racer series before PSP and I'm blowing through them with relative ease :D

Mrbob

:(

How many racing games have you played, eh punk?!?! Last racing game I played seriously was, uhhhhh, I can't remember. Mario Mario Kart on SNES?? Let me wallow around in my own excuses while not getting poked fun at, jerk! :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's what I do. It's annoying.
Best solution IMO, is to never power it down completely but use sleep mode instead. I do that all the time. I'd power it down if I knew I wouldn't use it in the next few days or so.

Mrbob

I love sleep mode. Whenever I get frustrated by a race in Ridge Racers I just put the PSP into sleep mode and do something else until I'm ready to get back and try the race! If this were a console I would just turn it off in frustration and then I would have to start the tour over! :lol

Mejilan

Marconelly said:
Best solution IMO, is to never power it down completely but use sleep mode instead. I do that all the time. I'd power it down if I knew I wouldn't use it in the next few days or so.

Actually, I haven't been using it much. Yesterday was the first time in 3 days I even booted it up. :lol

Top Bottom