• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Scoobert

Loops said:
any idea where i can find one in NYC ? I tried in 3 different shops (Gamestop and EBgames) and it was sold out. I found it in a weird electronic shop who proposed it @399$. If you know where i can find some systems, you are welcome.

Don't try specialty shops. Basically, don't go to stores where they do preorders. If you have them, try Besy Buy, WalMart, Target, etc. PSP's are real easy to find. Second shipments are also on the way.

I got Wipeout today for $30. Someone didn't like it and wanted to exchange it. Were not Blockbuster dammit! He ends up trading it in and I buy it at the end of the night. Not a bad little game. Honestly, never played a Wipeout game in my life. Honestly, it's not bad. I like it so far. BTW, I only played for about 10 minutes though. :lol

Andy787

Banned
Scoobert said:
Not a bad little game. Honestly, never played a Wipeout game in my life. Honestly, it's not bad. I like it so far. BTW, I only played for about 10 minutes though. :lol
I like this review.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My PSP got scratched by the pouch, that's a fact. The inside had two hard nodules that scratched my screen, they looked like melted synthetic fabric so I bet on bad manufacturing or terrible luck.
Damn. Looks like I jumped the gun thinking that there's no way pouch could be damaging. I guess everyone should invert the pouch inside out and make sure it doesn't have those melted chunks inside.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I still need to buy a case. Until I buy a case, my PSP is gonna stay at home. I was gonna get the Logitech one, but it doesn't come with any pouch that holds games or anything. Anyone know the best case that's out right now that'll protect the PSP and hold games and maybe headphones with it?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wario64 said:
I still need to buy a case. Until I buy a case, my PSP is gonna stay at home. I was gonna get the Logitech one, but it doesn't come with any pouch that holds games or anything. Anyone know the best case that's out right now that'll protect the PSP and hold games and maybe headphones with it?
I haven't seen any US-available cases that fit that bill nicely. The Koei case is the better of these two, but it's much more expensive and seems to be backordered. But I haven't heard anything bad about the Aero.

Aero case
Koei case

jiggle

If only this isn't so expensive

PSPcase2.jpg

39931.jpg

a332500-img585x523-1105798264psp_porter-9.gif

Meantime

Wario64 said:

The all-in-one case on the right hand side here is OK : http://www.pelicanacc.com/

It's got 3 separate pouchs, one for headphones and stuff, one holds 8 UMDs and one for the PSP. It's also got a little zip pocket for a cleaning cloth or whatever. It's not great, but it's cheap and better than nothing. Best Buy should have them for 15 dollars.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Meantime said:
The all-in-one case on the right hand side here is OK : http://www.pelicanacc.com/

It's got 3 separate pouchs, one for headphones and stuff, one holds 8 UMDs and one for the PSP. It's also got a little zip pocket for a cleaning cloth or whatever. It's not great, but it's cheap and better than nothing. Best Buy should have them for 15 dollars.

Wow, it even has room for the AC adaptor...

How much is the KOEI case usually? I dont see a price on play-asia

Really like the porter case but the fact that the PSP is exposed ruins it. Fashion over functionality i guess. Makes perfect sense with a $200 piece of hardware lol.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wario64 said:

They were originally selling it for $30

Shompola

Banned
YOu guys who have Untold Legends... Do you think the graphics are unpolished? I think they are... ghosting and aliasing are problems I almost never care about... but there are some annoying stuff I think they could have had fixed like white lines sticking out and random white dots appearing from nowhere.

jiggle said:
Nope, it's still 249. Is the 279 from ebay?

nope, from ncsx.com they are 310$, amazone have them at 279$, play-asian has them at 310"japanese version"

all of the online stores have them at 279 or more. cant find one single store that has them at 249 :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
robertsan21 said:
ah super:)

going to have a ridge racer night at my place in a weeks time so if your in malta and have a PSP please join in on our little get together :D

ladies and beer are free

I prefer it when the beer is free and the ladies are cheap :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
robertsan21 said:
what is this
link

video
link

seems to be some program for the PSP
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

11.jpg

16.jpg

Thanks! This looks like the network software for the korean PSP. IIRC, it's third party software, so Sony's future web browsing/streaming software will probably be different.

gofreak said:
Thanks! This looks like the network software for the korean PSP. IIRC, it's third party software, so Sony's future web browsing/streaming software will probably be different.

ah ok cool.
so soon we will be able to surf the net with PSP :D

Shompola said:
YOu guys who have Untold Legends... Do you think the graphics are unpolished? I think they are... ghosting and aliasing are problems I almost never care about... but there are some annoying stuff I think they could have had fixed like white lines sticking out and random white dots appearing from nowhere.

Yeah, the engine seems a little rushed. You can sometimes see the texture seams, and aliasing is evident. I ususally dont get too bothered by this stuff either, but the little white dots were kind of annoying when I first started playing. Still, it's a fun game, and I'm enjoying the hack-n-slash stuff.

DSFan1970

If the Internet Browser is supplied on a UMD (pic above)...will it be region coded? I have a Japanese PSP, so if the UMD is encoded like music and movies, I am afraid I won't be able to browse the web with my PSP (save for some hacks) . I might have to get the Korean browser. I am caustiously optimistic that it will be region free. I mean my PSP is a game machine first, but browsing is a nice extra....

robot

So whats the general opinion on screen protectors? I hear the Hori and Exim ones are the best (from this topic) - anyone have first hand impressions?

And where can I get the case jiggle posted? (edit: nm didnt realize it was like $100)

robot said:
So whats the general opinion on screen protectors? I hear the Hori and Exim ones are the best (from this topic) - anyone have first hand impressions?

And where can I get the case jiggle posted?

yeah i want to know what screen protector is the best one.

robertsan21 said:
yeah i want to know what screen protector is the best one.

This has been tossed about so many times already in this thread. Seems most people are really liking the Exim ones. I'm not using one, just keep my PSP in the case. Aside from fingerprints, which are tough to avoid, my PSP is so far, in in perfect condition.

Shompola

Banned
exim is terrific. it's super clean.. honestly you can't notice it being applied.
I have my scratchy protector on right now but I am going to replace it with the new one when I get it. exim is recommended.

Shompola

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
This has been tossed about so many times already in this thread. Seems most people are really liking the Exim ones. I'm not using one, just keep my PSP in the case. Aside from fingerprints, which are tough to avoid, my PSP is so far, in in perfect condition.

yah it's seriously hard to scratch it if you use it "normally"
but the screen protector is nice to have attached when you lend it to people. You can be safe that they won't damage the screen-

Shompola said:
exim is terrific. it's super clean.. honestly you can't notice it being applied.
I have my scratchy protector on right now but I am going to replace it with the new one when I get it. exim is recommended.

ok i am going to check if my import store has Exim, if not i get the Hori one.

thanks for the help

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
vatstep said:
I haven't seen any US-available cases that fit that bill nicely. The Koei case is the better of these two, but it's much more expensive and seems to be backordered. But I haven't heard anything bad about the Aero.

Aero case
Koei case

My case is very similiar to the Aero case. Got it at Circuit City for 9 bucks. I want to say it is from Hip Gear. The more I look at it, it is just like the Aero case.

As for the Screen protector question, I have the Hori. It is doing the job good enough. A few friends of mine don't have a protector at all and I don't see any major issues with their screens.

Shompola said:
yah it's seriously hard to scratch it if you use it "normally"
but the screen protector is nice to have attached when you lend it to people. You can be safe that they won't damage the screen-

See, that's my one hard and fast rule for the PSP. NEVER loan it to anyone. Period! :lol

Don't know if this has been posted yet...

alt.binaries.sony.psp

For other usenet junkies w/ a PSP. Lots of media (some legal, some not) pre-encoded to a PSP friendly format.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone else notice there's a PDA version of GAF available? Not sure if that's new with the recent upgrade or what, but it automatically asks you when you try to browse GAF with your PSP if you want the PDA version. It's basically a text-only version. Can't remember this being mentioned previously in relation to PSP browsing - it's pretty cool! (though still slowish). It resizes everything to fit the screen..one thing that could be improved, though, is that there are no links at the bottom of each page to go back to the forum or whatever. I guess I could just hit the left shoulder button :p

This will be very useful for late late night announcements and such, so I don't have to turn on my noisy PC and wake the house!

edit - uh, yeah. it's "slowish".....but A LOT faster than the full version. Trying to look at it now, and the PDA version loads a lot quicker by comparison. Every site should have a "PSP" version like this!

EGM92

robertsan21 said:
haha yeah i guess i did but i think this pic is sexier
danish.jpg

or maybe not..

my danish friend looks like a retard in this pic hahahahaha
:lol :lol :lol Love the picture!

Curious though.. who is it? member of the forum?

kokomo

I've been trying to order from pda-now, but it won't let me make an account. When I type in all my info it just reloads at the top of the page; I assume there's a field I haven't filled out?

Meantime

kokomo said:
I've been trying to order from pda-now, but it won't let me make an account. When I type in all my info it just reloads at the top of the page; I assume there's a field I haven't filled out?

Are you using Firefox? It wouldn't work for me, I had to do it in IE.

Mrbob

Wario64 said:

You can get the Koei case in North America from EB and Gamestop but you have to buy the Dynasty Warriors PSP premium bundle to get it:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256410.asp

256410.jpg

The Dynasty Warriors Premium Pack includes:

* Dynasty Warriors
* PSP Deluxe Case
* 43-Page Dynasty Warriors Character Artbook
* Dynasty Warriors Calendar
The case, character art book, and calendar are exclusive to the Dynasty Warriors Premium Pak!

$69.99 + tax

Top Bottom