• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PS4 releases in 2-3 months, gets upgraded to UE4

Serra

Fantastic game! Highly recommended, so glad console only peeps get to play it too. Free upgrade for PC owners is pretty cool too.

This was a beautiful game. I also highly recommend it. It really touched me. I can't wait to see how good it looks in UE4. I will definitely play it again on PC.

EGM1966

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks for clarification.

Is Daylight any good?

What type of game is Ethan Carter btw?

First person walking simulator with light puzzles. And I don't mean that negatively. I enjoyed it a lot on PC and consider it worth a play but don't go in thinking you're going to get an action game with combat.

It draws on a mix of atmospheres from Lovecraft to Poe to Golden Age SF (I kid you not) and mixes fantasy moments with a very realistic setting in a valley.

There is gameplay but it's of the mild puzzle interaction variety.

Vintage

So is the look of game gonna be changed? Changing engines is always kinda weird to me for an update.

No, engine changes usually have no impact on how the game looks, it's more like under-the-hood stuff, making the game run better.

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks for clarification.

Is Daylight any good?

Reviews were not favourable. Here in the UK it has been ~£4 a number of times but I've never bought it as it looks repetitive, the scares look very trite and it's got randomly-generated level design, which I rarely enjoy. Also, despite boasting being the first commercial UE4 game it's really not a looker.

S1kkZ

Ether One is a shocking mess on PS4. Really enjoying it but damn it runs terribly. Hope this runs better.

downloading the game again based on dark10x 60 fps comment. 7 fucking gb...

i hope there was an improvement, i usually trust dark with framerates.

edit: nope, still a stuttering mess :(
drops to sub 30 when you enter the first world.

collige

Banned
I thought it was already running on UE4 when I played on PC. It's easily one of the best looking games I've ever played (outside of character models).

Majanew

Banned
Hope it runs well. UE4 really needs a big AAA game to release to showcase it. Daylight and Ether One are pretty terrible.

Denton

This game is stunning. I loved experiencing it. Cool to see it updated and cannot wait for next project from Astronauts.

I really want to play this because it seems like something I'm into, but I really don't want to do anything to support the jerkface head of the studio.

I still might though.

Melchiah

Great to hear it's finally coming, and getting upgraded as well. I've been eagerly waiting to play the game after hearing so many good things about it.

EvB

I'd be interested to know if there will actually be any tangible benefits of the switch to UE4 in this case, especially when the game has been made with the UE3 tools.

Eventually we'll get those UE4 tools optimized for the PS4 to the point where things aren't so clunky or buggy at launch. Not holding my breath that Ethan Carter will be the one to break the mold but it'd be nice not to have multiple performance patches post-launch. This game is gorgeous and I'll definitely be picking it up for my PS4 though.

I'd be interested to know if there will actually be any tangible benefits of the switch to UE4 in this case, especially when the game has been made with the UE3 tools.

The UE4 material pipeline is PBR based by default so they game will look even more realistic than it does now. Also, the could implement more visual scripting through Blueprints.

chadskin

Eventually we'll get those UE4 tools optimized for the PS4 to the point where things aren't so clunky or buggy at launch. Not holding my breath that Ethan Carter will be the one to break the mold but it'd be nice not to have multiple performance patches post-launch. This game is gorgeous and I'll definitely be picking it up for my PS4 though.

If I'm not mistaken, a large part of The Astronauts is made up of former People Can Fly folks who worked with Epic on games for 10+ years before they were bought by Epic. They have plenty of experience with the Unreal Engine so if any studio not named Epic can do it right, it's probably going to be these guys.

What type of game is Ethan Carter btw?

From what I understand, it's a murder mystery "walking simulator ".
And I don't mean walking simulator in the negative sense, I actually enjoy those types of games.
I could be wrong though, ain't played it, just my perception from what Ihave seen so far.

Edit: beaten over an over again.

dtcm83

Hope UE4 removes the ridiculous stuttering that was never fixed.

This.

Have a GTX 970 and a 3570k, game was a stuttering mess on all settings. Tried for a couple hours to get it to work properly, including a reinstall of the game, never could get it to play a smooth 60fps. Hoping UE4 is the answer.

Top Bottom