• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge editor subsists on nothing but a nutritional shake for one month

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably the best info to have. losing 12 pounds and feeling great is pretty good indicator he met his nutritional needs.

What. No, going to a doctor before and after andseeing the actual effects would be a good indicator. As of now this reads like something a vegan person with all meat eating friends could write

BigDug13

I'd actually really like to take this for a spin, but what kills it for me is the price. I do not need 85 dollars to feed myself for a week.

And once you are using this product, it doesn't cost you $85. Not sure why you'd choose only the one time purchase of the most expensive-per-unit package as your barometer of how much this would cost you each week.

It's $63.75 per week if you buy the 30 day subscription version. $65 per week if you buy the 14 bags (14 days worth) per month subscription.

Besides, there are DIY recipes out there to provide the same material as this product that cost as little as $4 a day.

What. No, going to a doctor before and after andseeing the actual effects would be a good indicator. As of now this reads like something a vegan person with all meat eating friends could write

Visit the website then and read up on it. It's not like this one publication is supposed to provide you with every medical fact you need.

just placed an order for the 21 meal version. interested to try it and use it as an occasional meal replacement for breakfast (which i rarely eat anyway) and dinner when my wife works late. $85 doesn't even seem that bad, works out to just over $4/meal. the other options are even more cost-efficient.

Complete newbie, but protein shakes can be used as meal replacements? My only knowledge of such shakes are that they are for body-building purposes. But are they viable for, let's say, being a substitute for breakfast?

Complete newbie, but protein shakes can be used as meal replacements? My only knowledge of such shakes are that they are for body-building purposes. But are they viable for, let's say, being a substitute for breakfast?

Not usually. Soylent is apparently of a different breed and has all the nutrients you need

Kodeman

I was much more interested in the health benefits than the writer's existential crisis about the social importance of food.

He lost 12 lbs, but what about things like blood pressure, blood sugar, sodium levels, serum trigylcerides, etc? It's not like this is the first liquid diet or dietary supplement on the market.

This is what I'm interested in. I personally find eating to be more of a chore than something to be enjoyed, but I'd like to know that I'm not destroying my body in the long term.

If science can get behind this stuff I might buy into it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The concept is right up my alley, but I want nothing to do with a lot of these ingredients:

Complete-Soylent-Nutrition-Facts.jpg

Not a fan of the macro nutrient composition, either. It seems like it's based on the USDA recommendations, which are basically a whole lot of bullshit. I'll stick to whole foods for now, but if something more in line with what I want comes around... I'll definitely be tempted.

MVP

Banned
Thought about buying this, I don't like having to worry about everyday food. Whenever I want to eat fancy I'll just eat out, most of the time I just want to eat to live. Right now they aren't shipping for 10 weeks, but once they catch up, I'll give it a shot.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I was much more interested in the health benefits than the writer's existential crisis about the social importance of food.

Exactly.

Also, this gem:

I FOUND THAT OBJECTS IN AND AROUND MY KITCHEN WERE BEING COATED IN FINE POWDER

The author is either incompetent at simple tasks or he should lay off the literary liberties.

CPS2

Earlier this year I spent over a month eating basically the same thing every day and got really sick of it. You spend so much time looking for something to eat and deciding what you want, I think part of that is also your brain telling you what you need to eat. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy never has soylent again in his life. Even if they had different flavours it wouldn't be enough.

CPS2

But lets say it was perfect nutritionally, nobody would eat this stuff for every meal because eventually they'd walk past a food court and want to feel like a human rather than a dog that eats food with "everything they need."

Zona

But lets say it was perfect nutritionally, nobody would eat this stuff for every meal because eventually they'd walk past a food court and want to feel like a human rather than a dog that eats food with "everything they need."

It would likely make up 80% of my diet, at a minimum. Basically the only time I would eat normal food would be with friends or the occasional craving for something specific. Foods not something that's important to me.

65 bucks a week? That makes no sense. They're buying these ingredients in bulk from wholesale suppliers, so it shouldn't be that expensive. A single person does not spend 65 dollars a week in groceries. Plus, it's going to taste a hell of a lot better then Soylent. I really don't understand their business model, unless it's simply to rip people off.

I'm also not sure where the CEO's coming from with his assertion that normal food is unsustainable for 7-10 billion people on earth. Last time I checked, the United States alone has a breadbasket that could feed the world's population many times over. In fact, doesn't the US govt actively pay farmers NOT to grow crops?

That's $9 a day. You can spend more then that on a sandwich in my area.

65 bucks a week? That makes no sense. They're buying these ingredients in bulk from wholesale suppliers, so it shouldn't be that expensive. A single person does not spend 65 dollars a week in groceries. Plus, it's going to taste a hell of a lot better then Soylent. I really don't understand their business model, unless it's simply to rip people off.

I'm also not sure where the CEO's coming from with his assertion that normal food is unsustainable for 7-10 billion people on earth. Last time I checked, the United States alone has a breadbasket that could feed the world's population many times over. In fact, doesn't the US govt actively pay farmers NOT to grow crops?

Arcteryx

This isn't really a replacement for the grocery/home cooked crowd though. It's totally geared towards the people who eat out basically EVERYDAY(aside from maybe breakfast).

The concept is right up my alley, but I want nothing to do with a lot of these ingredients.

Any evidence that those scary big names are bad for humans?

Uh I spent 68 dollars in groceries. Single person. I bought a bunch of fish, which I guess is expensive. But even the cheap catfish was 5.86 and that will be a single dinner with some vegetables. I did buy beef which is significantly cheaper and will feed me for 2 meals, for around 8ish bucks. Granted I bought pricier beef. Other than that I bought a few snacks. Almonds, some cheese puffs (Pirate's Booty), and some crackers.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
This isn't really a replacement for the grocery/home cooked crowd though. It's totally geared towards the people who eat out basically EVERYDAY(aside from maybe breakfast).
There are cheaper alternatives including brands like Ensure (added sugar on these brands can be a bit much) or even beefing up protein powder shakes. This just went viral because of the name and attention of kickstarter.
He has a bias against all medical authorities and knowledge. So best to put on ignore.

I can buy it as a breakfast/lunch on the go. I know when I have to be at work at 6 AM I don't have time for a legit breakfast and this thing sounds like a good meal replacement.

Same here. I honestly don't find many breakfast foods appetizing anyways.

As for my whole diet, I don't think I could do it. Sounds like a wonderful breakfast replacement though.

Uh I spent 68 dollars in groceries. Single person. I bought a bunch of fish, which I guess is expensive. But even the cheap catfish was 5.86 and that will be a single dinner with some vegetables. I did buy beef which is significantly cheaper and will feed me for 2 meals, for around 8ish bucks. Granted I bought pricier beef. Other than that I bought a few snacks. Almonds, some cheese puffs (Pirate's Booty), and some crackers.

I just buy Marie Callender's tv dinners.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Someone pay me to go on some sort of fast food diet. It will be well worth it.

Hello kickstarter.

You'll probably raise a million dollars or something, because Internet.

He has a bias against all medical authorities and knowledge. So best to put on ignore.

So, being skeptical of unproven industrial food products means having a bias against medical authorities, does it?

This sort of mentality that the nutrition experts are infallible, despite a pretty poor track record of doing quality science, is dangerous. I honestly do not see the appeal in placing one's full trust in an expert or group of experts, simply because they have worked their way into a position of prestige within their field. Especially when you see how much politics and personal agendas can come into play when it comes to whose work gets funded and published, thus determining that person or group's level of prestige and authority in the field.

A Fish Aficionado

You'll probably raise a million dollars or something, because Internet.

So, being skeptical of unproven industrial food products means having a bias against medical authorities, does it?

This sort of mentality that the nutrition experts are infallible despite a pretty poor track record of doing quality science is dangerous. I honestly do not see the appeal in placing one's full trust in an expert or group of experts, simply because they have worked their way into a position of prestige within their field. Especially when you see how much politics and personal agendas can come into play when it comes to whose work gets funded and published, thus determining that person or group's level of prestige and authority in the field.

Except you are not being skeptical, but agenda driven given your record of dismissive posts.

You're going to have to explain yourself, I think.

I said that *I* (as in me, personally) want nothing to do with a lot of those ingredients. Not sure how that qualifies an agenda.

Unless you're talking about my comment about the USDA recommendations being bullshit.

If you don't realize this then you have a problem. Most of your posts in that 'Butter' thread a while back were dismissive, rude and medically ignorant. I'm going to drop this because I don't want to thread derail or get into an idiotic internet feud.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Except you are not being skeptical, but agenda driven given your record of dismissive posts.

You're going to have to explain yourself, I think.

I said that *I* (as in me, personally) want nothing to do with a lot of those ingredients. Not sure how that qualifies an agenda.

Unless you're talking about my comment about the USDA recommendations being bullshit.

If you don't realize this then you have a problem. Most of your posts in that 'Butter' thread a while back were dismissive, rude and medically ignorant. I'm going to drop this because I don't want to thread derail or get into an idiotic internet feud.

OK. Have fun. If you're not going to explain yourself, then I don't see how you have any place calling anyone else rude or dismissive. Thanks for the drive-by character assassination attempt, though, I guess?

I'm tempted to get this to use Monday-Friday. I'm likely the odd man out here but food it a hassle to me. I hate cooking and eating out is to expensive and unhealthy. I can see myself just eating soylent the majority of the time except when I go out with friends or I get a craving for something like sushi.

This is terrifying.

pj

Banned
There are cheaper alternatives including brands like Ensure (added sugar on these brands can be a bit much) or even beefing up protein powder shakes. This just went viral because of the name and attention of kickstarter.

You'd have to drink 6 bottles of ensure a day to get all your calories, which means over 120 grams of sugar.

The reason soylent has so much buzz is that's intended to be BETTER than the garbage we are currently eating. It's not slimfast with better packaging. The openness of the formula and DIY community help too.

You're in luck, because cooking really doesn't get much easier than broiling a piece of salmon.

Which is what I've been doing for a lot of my meals. Baked/broiled catfish and salmon. Grass-fed hamburgers.

Vegetables are tricky though. I only like a few. And don't know how to cook them besides throwing them on a hot stove pan.

Opto

Banned
Depending on how all of the product is collected, this could really benefit the environment as current food harvesting isn't sustainable

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The reason soylent has so much buzz is that's intended to be BETTER than the garbage we are currently eating. It's not slimfast with better packaging. The openness of the formula and DIY community help too.

Eh... compare the ingredients in Soylent and Slimfast. There's quite a bit of overlap.

Log4Girlz

I remember trying slim fast, some double chocolate flavor. By god it was the tastiest thing I ever drank...so creamy and delicious. Then the farting happened. Hours straight of non stop farting. Big, huge long farts...constantly. How this matter just completely gasified in my intestines is beyond me. If I try soylent I get the feeling I'll personally raise global methane levels.

A Fish Aficionado

You'd have to drink 6 bottles of ensure a day to get all your calories, which means over 120 grams of sugar.

Glucerna brand has low sugar and has a carb mix that doesn't spike blood sugar levels as much since it is made for diabetics. Very few people are going to use Soylent as a complete meal replacement, so that's why I'm offering suggestions that can be found almost anywhere right now.

Not trying to give you shit here, but are non-industrial whole foods proven? Like how much research has been done on the hundreds of whole ingredients that humans regularly consume?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not trying to give you shit here, but are non-industrial whole foods proven? Like how much research has been done on the hundreds of whole ingredients that humans regularly consume?

Hundreds or thousands of years of human testing makes me a lot more comfortable with those foods, honestly.

Azulsky

Watching the Vice video and seeing how they hand pack those bags gives me zero confidence about the sanitary condition of the product and that it is packed right.

What if they accidentally put 2x of a fat soluble vitamin.

EDIT: The Vice guy had mold in his bags.

Hundreds or thousands of years of human testing makes me a lot more comfortable with those foods, honestly.

But people have been getting sick for hundreds of thousands of years too. How do we know some of that isn't from the food that we consider "hunter-gatherer tested + approved!" ?

Like what sort of effects would you need to see to consider a food bad for you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But people have been getting sick for hundreds of thousands of years too.

On the scale that we are today? I don't think that is true.

The only reason westernized societies continue to exist in the way it does today is because modern medicine allows people to stay alive despite a barrage of horrible illnesses.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the average life expectancy up to the last century or so I'm not sure that's really a good argument. The Appeal to Nature fallacy seems to be in effect.

That's only thanks to modern medicine's ability to keep people alive with treatment and drugs.

Or do you think that all of these folks with diabetes, heart disease and cancer would be doing just fine on their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom