• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vintage PC Collectors Thread of GLORIOUS PC Gaming. 1980s to 2005 PRE STEAM.

Ertai

Some big boxes:

mai9Fot.jpg

SyBQhb8.jpg

CQz9z4O.jpg

And some games that i lost the big boxes of to the sands of time :(

BwjRjc0.jpg

Tain

I love old PC games but I don't think I could collect them physically. With console games I tend to get Japanese versions in part because they're often in better condition, but even then I don't go for anything boxed if the box is cardboard. So huge cardboard boxes? Man, I don't know.

I have a ton of flattened PC game boxes back at my parent's place, though. Would be fun to dig through them.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Are the shelves you're using from Ikea? They look similar to the ones I use for my collection.

Yup! I drilled some extra holes in them so I could get more space and grabbed some extra shelves from the store. They're really good for storing things like these.

Nice collection you've got too! Reminds me that I need to finish up my Wing Commander collection with Armada/Academy/Prophecy.

Wow doctor your collection is very impressive as well :D

Thanks! I hope I can expand it very soon!

Yup! I drilled some extra holes in them so I could get more space and grabbed some extra shelves from the store. They're really good for storing things like these.

Nice collection you've got too! Reminds me that I need to finish up my Wing Commander collection with Armada/Academy/Prophecy.

I was lucky with Armada and Academy, in that they were part of a bulk sale someone was having, along with privateer. I just realized I didn't post my duplicates. Here's an image of part of it along with part of my loose CD collection (it's a Billy Bookcase, so there's CD's behind those CDs):

I'm.. a big fan of Wing Commander.. lol

You drilled extra holes, huh? I wonder if I should do that as well, as space in the room is limited.

As the photos show, there's a lot of space between shelves and I was wondering how to maximize the real estate. I could stack future games, but I don't want to potentially compress the boxes underneath.

Teknoman

I feel like I am the envy of all of Gaf, because in high school I worked at a local video game store, and when the store went out of business I got to take a few things for myself. One of my prized gaming devices that I got to keep was an about $2000 Azuradisc scratch removal machine with all the extra pads and polish. It takes games with even the heavy ring scratches and returns them to perfect quality. It is an absolutely amazing device. If they weren't so damn expensive I would recommend them to everyone. Only expensive maintenance is the polish as it's about $50 or so a bottle, but one bottle is good for probably a thousand discs. I have only ever bought one haha.

Man, thats pretty good! I've been thinking about getting one myself (not that expensive though). Would certainly make buying discs here and there easier.

On another note, even though I really dont have much experience with RTS games, aside from giving Starcraft a small try (which I need to try again) I saw a sealed copy of EA Strategy collection at a thrift store for a buck. I've always wanted to try out Black and White among other games so it seemed like a steal. Had no idea people were selling it for like 70 bucks these days. Contains C&C Generals + Zero Hour, Battle for Middle Earth, B& 2, and it's expansion.

Man, thats pretty good! I've been thinking about getting one myself (not that expensive though). Would certainly make buying discs here and there easier.

On another note, even though I really dont have much experience with RTS games, aside from giving Starcraft a small try (which I need to try again) I saw a sealed copy of EA Strategy collection at a thrift store for a buck. I've always wanted to try out Black and White among other games so it seemed like a steal. Had no idea people were selling it for like 70 bucks these days. Contains C&C Generals + Zero Hour, Battle for Middle Earth, B& 2, and it's expansion.

I think it sells for that much because for the Battle For Middle Earth series. Boxed copies of those titles shot up in price quite a bit.

This thread needed some updating, good thing I picked up something today! I found an ad that someone put up selling some old PC games.

Grim Fandango $35 - This was what I wanted to get mainly. I think it was an absolute steal to get it at that price, and although the seller knew how much it was going for on ebay, he still decided to sell it for that.

Sid Meiers: Civil War Collection $2 - I had it on CD, but I wanted a boxed copy of the game. It's under the EA classics label but I don't mind that.

Tomb Raider III = $2 - I bought this mainly to add another Eidos Triangle box to my collection.

You'd think I'd be happy getting Grim Fandango, but actually what got me excited was Bleem! $2 - Never thought I'd see one again, let alone one with the original box. I remember seeing them on the store shelves. I know there are far better emulators for the PS1 out there, but at $2 I couldn't pass it up.

Asparagus

I picked up a Dell Dimension XPS T-450. The system was fucking filthy when I got it both inside and outside but it's cleaned up OK.
KC6RJ8X.jpg

It came with a 450MHz P3 and 128MB of Ram (now upgraded to 256MB). The AGP card is an ATI Rage Pro but I'm only using that for 2D stuff.
nwgNNdM.jpg

I put my two Voodoo 2 cards in there for some 3DFX goodness.
lpymO1C.jpg

And picked up a cheap Soundblaster Vibra 16 for DOS games.
pGenYfU.jpg

I have two HDDs hooked up currently. One has Windows 95 so I can finally play Star Trek Generations.
7QT9u87.jpg

And the other has Windows 98SE for just about everything else.
kKlDS8n.jpg

And finally I picked up two games on the cheap. Nothing amazing but I like my late 90s racing games.
sKu5NQo.jpg

You'd think I'd be happy getting Grim Fandango, but actually what got me excited was Bleem! $2 - Never thought I'd see one again, let alone one with the original box. I remember seeing them on the store shelves. I know there are far better emulators for the PS1 out there, but at $2 I couldn't pass it up.

Awesome find there, I always wanted Bleem back in the day.

Teknoman

You know what actually looks kinda cool? Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion. DOS gaming in general (aside from most well know titles) is about as foreign and new to me as playing TG16/PC engine games, but I think im going to start exploring that era more.

theRizzle

I shipped all my leftover "vintage" PC stuff to Giant Bomb a few years ago. (I am from Canada... not France.)

I really wish I had kept all of my boxed PC games, but I would need literally an entire closet at least just for those at this point. The huge boxes were cool but it was what was inside them that was always the coolest part about PC gaming for me. Massive maps & manuals, weird copy-protection spinners or books, etc. All that stuff is just non-existent these days and it's one of the things that bums me out the most about video games today.

For me, the absolute best gaming related thing I ever owned was the Tactical Manual that came with the floppy disc version of X-Com: Terror From The Deep. It was fairly thick (probably a little less than 100 pages) and written in character by an ex-soldier. It explained things like proper spacing for your squad, using windows and doors for vision, how to go maneuver in an urban environment and lots of other baller shit like that. It was like crack to my 11 year old mind.

morch

I just discovered this thread. There's a thread for everything I swear. I picked up a non complete booting Packard bell laptop with:
Celeron 500mhz
10mb ram (reason it didn't boot)
Ati rage
DVD drive
Floppy
Network port
Every port under the sun including a yellow pal composite video out

I was going to repair, upgrade and flip it but it's got everything and I've never seen it before

I dread to imagine what this cost in 2000. Packard bell easy note is all I know!

Photos coming!

Law212

Neo Member
I'm glad I found this thread. I kept all my old PC games and these days I collect what I can. For some reason I lost a few boxed games though and im so mad. I lost my box for leisure suit larry 7 , Xwing, Imperial pursuit and i think i lost mario is missing. I may find them one day in my moms basement though.

I recently picked up a complete boxed The 11th hour. Its not worth much but i just like to collect. I also just bought a sealed LSL 7 from ebay.

Ill post pictures of stuff eventually. I love collecting and playing old PC games. Im playing Rune and Heavy Metal FAKK 2 as well as no one lives forever. I have X-Wing on the backburner which i plan to beat as i never did when i played in the 90s. Im using my rhino X55 HOTAS to play it and its super fun.

Law212

Neo Member
Here are some recent pick ups from 2018.

VJNuL4h.jpg

5K99AYm.jpg

HQV2UW9.jpg

25JFsZp.jpg

ebO6M5G.jpg

pQI2wqI.jpg

kUhojui.jpg

yuiyj4Y.jpg

Oo6IiRA.jpg

LN5MuKt.jpg

k9TPVJS.jpg

8lwCrAH.jpg

WLczlG3.jpg

Ill have to take a picture of my boxed games like Final fantasy 7 and 8, FAllout 2, and so on .
I also collect NES, SNES, genesis and xbox games as well as 3D blu ray movies. ( as well as other movies. but mostly 3D . )

Here is my set up as i was watching terminator 2 in 3D
neu5kpu.jpg

Top Bottom