• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vintage PC Collectors Thread of GLORIOUS PC Gaming. 1980s to 2005 PRE STEAM.

So I was wondering this earlier and almost created a thread about it. I know in the console realm which are the rare hard to find, high dollar games to buy (panzer dragoon saga, earthbound, Suikoden ii, etc). But for PC what are the games that have grown to be big collectors items?

SHL23

Banned
So I was wondering this earlier and almost created a thread about it. I know in the console realm which are the rare hard to find, high dollar games to buy (panzer dragoon saga, earthbound, Suikoden ii, etc). But for PC what are the games that have grown to be big collectors items?

Original DOOM big box. The one when the game was mail order only.
Grim Fandango is pretty expensive too

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All my "vintage" PC boxes were tossed out when my family moved in 2003 or so. The only physical games I own these days, in full (i.e. including the box and any auxiliary material such as manuals), that weren't bought for the purpose of Steam redemption, are:

- Doom 3 (won in a forum raffle)
- StarCraft Battlechest (as above)
- StarCraft 2 (took advantage of a misprinted price)
- Alice: Madness Returns (as above)
- Diablo 3
- Gears of War
- Shadowrun (Dell AU was giving away it away for free)

Herne

I miss the old big cardboard boxes, which I'd also had on the C64. Going that far back, you'd have Rainbird games such as Jinxter and Guild of Thieves coming packaged with full newspapers, badges and the like - and in the case of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Joo-Janta 2000 sunglasses (cardboard!), fluff, and No Tea. I think my favourite pc boxed game was Curse of Monkey Island. Just wonderful colours and theme.

I've gotten rid of them all over the years, though, even recently getting rid of all the dvd case boxes I had - on pc at least, I am now completely digital (and 90% digital on Wii U). It's sad that I won't ever get a new game in full cardboard box and to experience that new game smell (you all know the one I'm talking about!), but I just don't have the space for them.

Edit - Now that's what I'm talking about!

$_57.JPG

Original DOOM big box. The one when the game was mail order only.
Grim Fandango is pretty expensive too
Wow you're right. Must be somewhat caused by the lack of a digital version. Hmmm although Mechwarrior and full throttle prices aren't bad.

Quick! Someone post some falcon box/manual shots

rashbeep

Banned
Don't know why, but I liked the big boxes PC games used to come into. I can't find very many though (can only find NFS II and System Shock II). I think my favourite was the Quake III Arena metal box.

I had found a copy of Crusader: No Remorse with the box in MINT condition at a garage sale for $2.50, and it had a copy of Goblins inside also. Wife sold it without telling me at another garage sale :

Man, I really need to take an updated photo of my PC collection. In the mean time, here's a really old and terrible photo (sorry) I took of my big box collection before I moved it all to a game room I set up in my basement ( I took the photo to remember where all the boxes went after the move, which as it turned out wasn't necessary, since I ended up buying more shelves for the room):

What's not shown are the collector's editions, CD jewel cases, as well as my small box set.

mackattk

I need to find a copy of Falcon 4.0 just for the manual.

IocaqTT.jpg

I miss the old big cardboard boxes, which I'd also had on the C64. Going that far back, you'd have Rainbird games such as Jinxter and Guild of Thieves coming packaged with full newspapers, badges and the like - and in the case of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Joo-Janta 2000 sunglasses (cardboard!), fluff, and No Tea. I think my favourite pc boxed game was Curse of Monkey Island. Just wonderful colours and theme.

I've gotten rid of them all over the years, though, even recently getting rid of all the dvd case boxes I had - on pc at least, I am now completely digital (and 90% digital on Wii U). It's sad that I won't ever get a new game in full cardboard box and to experience that new game smell (you all know the one I'm talking about!), but I just don't have the space for them.

Edit - Now that's what I'm talking about!

$_57.JPG

What I am seeing here is a $150 collector's edition if it translated to the present time.

Grayman

Not really a collection but I still have big boxes for Quake 3 and Full Throttle. Early on I got a lot more shareware or games in jewel cases, or value packs like the lucas arts archive.

For smaller cardboard cases that have nice boxes I have
Pirates! 2004(nice LE edition with a spiral bound book)
Guild Wars and Eye of the North
Final Fantasy 11
original wow
Asheron's Call Throne of Destinyx2

An important note of that 2004-2005 shelf is an unopened copy of Defcon which I paid extra for to avoid the downsides of digital distribution... we see where the story goes from there.

I have purchased Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity in big ass set them on your shelf boxes.

I had this one too, fantastic set..
1063994829-00.jpg

This made my childhood. Indy is the only one that I haven't finished in there.

The second collection had tie fighter and some other gems in it

Grayman

Wow you're right. Must be somewhat caused by the lack of a digital version. Hmmm although Mechwarrior and full throttle prices aren't bad.

Quick! Someone post some falcon box/manual shots
Just spit balling but I think Grim was probably printed, sold, or preserved less well than Full Throttle. Full Throttle was released at or just after the peak of the genre while Grim Fandango came out after its death but today built up the reputation as the best in genre.

It may be a gap in my purhcases of lucas arts games but I completely missed the it. I didn't know of Grim until like 2005. Full Throttle I heard about from inserts in other lucas arts game boxes or demo/videos with their other games.

Herne

What I am seeing here is a $150 collector's edition if it translated to the present time.

Well, that makes me feel bad as I had both Guild of Thieves and Jinxter complete in box up until a few years ago, when I sold them along with a few other boxed C64 games for about €150 over all. Not too bad, though - I got a nice pc case out of it :)

Two of them I have sitting outside of storage (and I have more in including some rare ones)

i46E94RWzaN4i.JPG

The BGII Collector's Edition is numbered, too. Only 62k made.

Teknoman

I've seen this in other disc based media threads, but isnt it really dangerous to go disc binder? I'm sure they get scratched from just sitting in the binder/moving around?

God, I love those old PC boxes. Their size, their weight, the thick handbooks, everything underlined that you were going to get into something really astonishing.
All a PS1 or other console boxes ever told me is: this is a video game.

Only recently started collecting, it's a good thing that most can be had for reasonable prices, at least so far (e.g. 5€ for Lands of Lore 2 and 3 together, each in perfect condition)

I still have Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Dino Crisis all unopened in a box. Bought them in a clearance sale for $10 ages ago and never installed them.

Asparagus

I've seen this in other disc based media threads, but isnt it really dangerous to go disc binder? I'm sure they get scratched from just sitting in the binder/moving around?

In my experience, yes.

I've been using these for a while -

uhNgUc1.jpg

But I'm starting to think it may just be better to just leave them in their cases.

Only recently started collecting, it's a good thing that most can be had for reasonable prices, at least so far (e.g. 5€ for Lands of Lore 2 and 3 together, each in perfect condition)

Yeah, eBay UK is filled with ridiculous BIN auctions but if you're patient and keep an eye out you can usually find most stuff fairly cheaply still.

deleted

The only bigbox that survived is the Diablo 2 one. Beautiful thing and the manual is a piece of art. If those came back, I'd maybe take the step back from digital only...

It's funny, I have most of those games on GOG, along with all the expansions, and yet, I've never even played one of them.

Skip Baldur's Gate 1. Progress straight to Baldur's Gate 2. The opening hook should be enough to carry you though and all the stuff from 1 is explained in the intro.

Lime

Best years of my video gaming life.

1995 through 2000 was my favorite shit. Fucking golden years right there.

Someone show off their glorious Fallout 1 and 2 collections for me. I will hate and love you.

I should really dig out my pictures of my big boxes :)

Got sealed standard big boxes somewhere of the first and second games albeit the second one is a bit rough

I prefer my open big big box for Fallout 1 though

Lot more pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100505597@N07/sets/72157635147774915/

Also got 2 big boxes for BG 1 and 2 although they're nothing special

Whats the difference between a standard big box and a "big big" box for fallout 1?

There's also these versions

IMAG0052.jpg

I also have the Fallout 1 box on the right although I have a different fallout 2 big box then that

Some of it could be regional [i.e. US versus Europe] but I think there was 2 big boxes in the US for Fallout 1. I think the bigger big box is the first run and smaller is later runs

There's also these versions

IMAG0052.jpg

I also have the Fallout 1 box on the right although I have a different fallout 2 big box then that

Some of it could be regional [i.e. US versus Europe] but I think there was 2 big boxes in the US for Fallout 1. I think the bigger big box is the first run and smaller is later runs

Actually, i'm pretty sure the F1 and 2 versions you posted are the UK/EU big box releases, while the other one in your previous post is the only north american big box release. I have the NA big box as well, and I don't think they ever released a variant big box in NA.

Actually, i'm pretty sure the F1 and 2 versions you posted are the UK/EU big box releases, while the other one in your previous post is the only north american big box release. I have the NA big box as well, and I don't think they ever released a variant big box in NA.

Ah yes you're right. I actually have both within arm length of me now and the details on the bottom of the smaller box indicate it's a UK release

I got it somewhere in America though. Must've been an import I suppose

Ah yes your right. I actually have both within arm length of me now and the details on the bottom of the smaller box indicate it's a UK release

I got it somewhere in America though. Must've been an import I suppose

Damn, to have both UK and NA releases of fallout 1 and 2? sweet! I have only the NA releases of each.

Other than the box themselves, is there any other difference, say manual wise? or are they essentially the same thing?

Damn, to have both UK and NA releases of fallout 1 and 2? sweet! I have only the NA releases of each.

Other than the box themselves, is there any other difference, say manual wise? or are they essentially the same thing?

After your post, I'm pretty sure I have the US and UK big boxes for Fallout 1 and then the US big box for Fallout 2

I only have one of the big box versions for Fallout 2 at present although I always have my eyes open for more lol

I'd check on the differences between the regional Fallout 1 big boxes but the UK one is still sealed and I'd rather not open it :p

Been meaning to find an open copy of that one though so I guess I know where to look

After your post, I'm pretty sure I have the US and UK big boxes for Fallout 1 and then the US big box for Fallout 2

I only have one of the big box versions for Fallout 2 at present although I always have my eyes open for more lol

Is that your big box copy of Fallout 2 in your photo? I'm pretty sure that's a UK release of Fallout 2, also my NA FA 2 box is different looking from yours (its got a wider length to it).

I'd check on the differences between the regional Fallout 1 big boxes but the UK one is still sealed and I'd rather not open it :p

Been meaning to find an open copy of that one though so I guess I know where to look

ah, completely understandable haha

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Here's a bunch of mine. Ran out of shelf room so some are just lying on the floor:

pcgames1.jpg

pcgames2.jpg

pcgames3.jpg

pcgames4.jpg

pcgames5.jpg

pcgames6.jpg

pcgames7.jpg

pcgames8.jpg

pcgames9.jpg

pcgames10.jpg

pcgames11.jpg

Simply incredible collection, discoalucard

Is that your big box copy of Fallout 2 in your photo? I'm pretty sure that's a UK release of Fallout 2, also my NA FA 2 box is different looking from yours (its got a wider length to it).

No, I don't have the Fallout 2 box in that picture [not my picture] I have the US Fallout 2 Big box. It's a bit larger from what I can tell as the Fallout 1 & 2 UK boxes appear the same size and the US Fallout 2 box is bigger than the UK Fallout 1 box

I feel like I am the envy of all of Gaf, because in high school I worked at a local video game store, and when the store went out of business I got to take a few things for myself. One of my prized gaming devices that I got to keep was an about $2000 Azuradisc scratch removal machine with all the extra pads and polish. It takes games with even the heavy ring scratches and returns them to perfect quality. It is an absolutely amazing device. If they weren't so damn expensive I would recommend them to everyone. Only expensive maintenance is the polish as it's about $50 or so a bottle, but one bottle is good for probably a thousand discs. I have only ever bought one haha.

Here's a bunch of mine. Ran out of shelf room so some are just lying on the floor:

took forever for those images to load on my pc, but it was worth the wait! thanks for putting it up!

I can't wait until the day I can once again afford to spend money on expanding my collection.

Are the shelves you're using from Ikea? They look similar to the ones I use for my collection.

Just bought two more big boxes off of Ebay, Tomb Raider 2 and Commandos (insanely great game!).

Let's see how quickly I run out of shelf space...
Girlfriend's gonna kill me...

Top Bottom