• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Walking Dead' companion series gets pilot greenlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
the-walking-dead-02_612x380.jpg

The Walking Dead companion series pilot is a go.

EW can exclusively report that AMC has officially ordered a pilot set in the same zombie-plagued universe as TV’s top-rated drama series. The as-yet-untitled project will go into production later this year, and will be set in a different location than the original series and star a new cast of characters. (Since the characters are different, the series not technically a “spinoff.”)

The Walking Dead executive producers Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert are all on board for the new project. Dave Erickson (Sons of Anarchy) was tapped as showrunner back in March. Kirkman and Erickson recently turned in a pilot script, which we’re told really impressed AMC’s executive ranks.

“Almost from the beginning of The Walking Dead on AMC, fans have been curious about what is going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world,” said AMC President Charlie Collier. “In fact, beyond requests for zombie cameos, it’s the question I get asked the most. Obviously, we all take our stewardship of the original franchise incredibly seriously and we, along with Robert, Gale, David and now Dave, are all proceeding with extreme care in order to ensure that we are offering fans something truly compelling, engaging and distinct. We’re thrilled to be taking this next step with these remarkable partners.”

AMC has not released any details about the series, except that it will be set somewhere other than Georgia. “There are many corners of The Walking Dead universe that remain unseen in the shadows,” Kirkman said. “Being given the opportunity to shine a light into those corners and see what lurks out there is an absolute thrill. I know the fans are anxious to hear what Dave and I have been cooking up for this new universe of The Walking Dead, and I’m happy to be one step closer to sharing it with them.”

The proposed series has been in development since last year. Kirkman told IGN: “It definitely won’t be set in Georgia—I can at least say that. It’s important to us that this show exists on its own. The spinoff has to be a show worthy of existing, or else we’ve all sold out. So that’s something we’re all working hard towards doing, and I think we can pull it off. I think that the ideal situation is, when you’re watching the spinoff, you’re like, ‘Wow, this is a really awesome show.'”

The Walking Dead returns for its fifth season on Oct. 12. For more, be sure to check out Dalton Ross’ full coverage of the upcoming season, such as the cast discussing what’s to come and co-star Norman Reedus on Daryl’s next arc.

'The Walking Dead' companion series gets pilot greenlight

El Daniel

Such a shame the show is garbage where the game is great. (haven't read the comics yet)

I hope we get a TWD show like the game someday.

wildfire

Banned
Wait, are you actually implying that the main series has good writing?

I would certainly hope not.

Can we just all agree that when it comes to writing characters TWD has excellent writing but when it comes to world building and having moments to advance the plot around that world TWD HAS shit writing and leave it at that?

daveo42

Banned
My true hope for this is that is a completely different area that has absolutely zero relation or bearing on the current show or comic in any way, shape, or form. Please. 100% standalone.

I bet it is set in or near Washington D.C. to set up a giant crossover down the line.

I could see that happening even though (comic spoilers)
most of the good stuff happens to the town after Rick and crew show up.

Such a shame the show is garbage where the game is great. (haven't read the comics yet)

The comics are good, but you can definitely see its age because it looks like Kirkman is running out of ideas for the comic itself.

As long as the writing is good I don't have a problem with that

Hopefully they keep the current writers on since most of the stuff we've seen from recent seasons have been good. I just want to avoid all of the junk we got during seasons 1-3.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm down, still a bit more interested in how Preacher is doing though.

I hope it's set somewhere further north and tries to do things TWD hasn't or can't. It's need to differentiate itself from the original or else it'll lack any real purpose other than to have more of TWD. I think it will be good to have a clean slate too for building the setting and characters, and they'll likely set out the progression of the show much better since they'll know it's going to go for at least a few seasons.

I think it would be cool if the show was more about a stable-ish community surviving, and all they have to do to survive and maintain order, with the lead basically like a good version of the Governor, but with less crazy dead daughter and just murdering people and more "for the greater good" type of attitude, much like Rick just channeled and exercised in a different way. Then after a few seasons you could have a crossover with the original series where Rick and Co come to find the new show's community and you could have this cool back and forth between episodes, or rather half seasons since I doubt they'd run them at the same time, and show this epic conflict between the two different shows and the attitudes and beliefs of their leaders, where everyone would die in the end. That would be fun.

cacildo

MORE feelings
MORE long conversations about emotions
MORE characters doing incredibly stupid things just because
MORE episodes where nothing happens

And one good pilot and season finale where something actually happens, just enough to keel you hooked, because everybody loves zombie movies even when they are not good

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The game is garbage.

Both in terms of writing and gameplay. I can't take seriously the people who say the show is shit but then praise the game. lol

I'm down, still a bit more interested in how Preacher is doing though.

They're still writing the pilot iirc.

I hope it's set somewhere further north and tries to do things TWD hasn't or can't. It's need to differentiate itself from the original or else it'll lack any real purpose other than to have more of TWD. I think it will be good to have a clean slate too for building the setting and characters, and they'll likely set out the progression of the show much better since they'll know it's going to go for at least a few seasons.

Definitely. It needs to be a completely new take on the series - it needs to be more than just More Walking Dead (well, actually, it doesn't in order for it to be a success). I'm actually really curious to see what they do with it.

I think it would be cool if the show was more about a stable-ish community surviving, and all they have to do to survive and maintain order, with the lead basically like a good version of the Governor, but with less crazy dead daughter and just murdering people and more "for the greater good" type of attitude, much like Rick just channeled and exercised in a different way. Then after a few seasons you could have a crossover with the original series where Rick and Co come to find the new show's community and you could have this cool back and forth between episodes, or rather half seasons since I doubt they'd run them at the same time, and show this epic conflict between the two different shows and the attitudes and beliefs of their leaders, where everyone would die in the end. That would be fun.

(future show/comic spoiler)
That's basically what the main show will turn into in a season or two, so then AMC'd be stuck with two shows that were exactly the same.

Yet black people are as rare as hen's teeth

This hasn't been true for like 2 years now btw.

I bet it is set in or near Washington D.C. to set up a giant crossover down the line.

I imagine the group in the main series will reach D.C. by the end of this season,
and seeing as how this new spin-off probably won't launch until next fall, that wouldn't work.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
(future show/comic spoiler)
That's basically what the main show will turn into in a season or two, so then AMC'd be stuck with two shows that were exactly the same.

Yeah, but I'd rather they ditch that stuff for the main show because really the trajectory of the comic nose dived not too long after where they are now.
Once the whole DC settlement went to shit and stuff occurred it was boring as shit, even then it was kind of a snoozer once they got there. I haven't read anything since like 104 or something not long after they arrived at the new colony and they met with the new bandit group.
I'd rather they just keep Rick and co trucking along trying to find the perfect place to live but never finding it, because they're psychopaths who are broken and can't survive in any kind of society anymore, and then this new show being people who actually find a way, even if flawed, to maintain some humanity and society. And when they finally meet in the final seasons, two worlds collide and everyone dies.

I think it would be really cool to have 8 eps of the original, 8 eps of the new, 8 eps of the original and the final 8 eps of the new in a row. Or the other way around, in this huge back and forth story between the two factions. People would lose their shit, having 30-40 weeks straight of TWD. Then end it all in some big 2 hour full on crossover finale.

Fiktion

Banned

Season 2 of the game was literally one of the biggest disappointments I've ever played. They changed the writing staff and it shows. Enormous missed opportunity.

I doubt this spinoff could be much worse.

Volimar

I would love a Walking Dead set in the UK. Far fewer firearms would make for some interesting zombie kills.

Better yet would be survivors of a plane crash. People of different nationalities stuck in a country where no one knows the language. Having to survive in that scenario, dealing not only with zombies and each other, but locals that no one can understand.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
For those who have read the comics, does it ever mention the rest of the world? Or other cities that they never been to?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For those who have read the comics, does it ever mention the rest of the world? Or other cities that they never been to?

No, because that isn't what the story is about. It's about this one specific group trying to survive in a world gone to hell. What's happening in the rest of the world is irrelevant to the characters.

Wouldn't surprise me if it stars a special forces type character. Gives the show access to more interesting weapons to kill zombies with, vehicles to travel around at the writer's leisure and a macro view of the apocalypse.

Thorakai

So how is season 4 of The Walking Dead? I stopped watching after the hilariously disappointing season 3 finale.

Hope it's a bit more action packed and gets away from the comics. Despite the liberties the show takes, it being handcuffed to the comic really doesn't give it room to breathe.
...and with the recent shenanigans in the comic, the show is gonna be in for a rough ride in a season or two.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So how is season 4 of The Walking Dead? I stopped watching after the hilariously disappointing season 3 finale.

The first half is basically what everyone wanted from the season 3 finale.

The second half is much more character focused - there's very little action - where each episode is basically a vignette that is mostly unrelated to the other episodes, until the season finale where everything comes together.

It was a bold direction to take the show in even if it wasn't always successful at what it was trying to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom