• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Jake

I think I can honestly say this game made me feel more things than any movie or book or tv show has. I'm not sure why though. Maybe I didn't expect to be so emotionally invested in a video game which gives it even more of an impact. Some of the events in the game literally had me staring at the screen with my hands on my head in the "WHAT THE FUCK" position for longer than I'd like to admit. My only regret is not getting the game sooner when discussion was at its peak. I won't make the same mistake for season 2.

I think this is a thing common to adventure games or other interactive story type games. The end of Grim Fandango hit me way harder back in the day than it would have were it a movie or TV show because I was literally there for every step Manny took on his journey. (At least for every step of the interesting parts.) That halfway-inhabiting-halfway-influencing(-halfway-watching) place you end up in in an interactive story can up the empathy you feel for the protagonist in a crazy way, if the circumstances are right.

Nope, and damn you for bumping, thought there was news about season 1.5 or 2 :(

Update: We're making stuff!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I finished Season 1 and absolutely loved it. Downloaded the whole thing off of XBL a while ago when it was on sale.

I was thinking of picking up the retail game for a friend, but I remember hearing if was riddled with bugs. Is that still the case? How bad is the retail version? Is it compatible with saves from the XBL version?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, episode 2 stats...

I go with the first two as the norm and then go off the rails in regards to the rest. :lol

How can anyone like Larry? It's like EVERYONE chooses his side while I didn't.
Because he is an asshole that knows your backstory
. Same in episode when when I
chose the IT dude over the girl
. Too bad that choice is blown in this episode when I
killed them all in front of Clamentine
. :/

In the end I did
take the supplies
because hell, why not. If not me, someone else would've.

It's kinda funny seeing Clamentine pull away from Lee. Mostly because of this episode and what I did in it. I dunno the "impact"/"you're gonna cry" moment in the last episode of the season with her is but at this point I don't think she cares for Lee anymore.

JustinBB7

During the stream, they announced that the DLC has been sent off to first parties and they will get a release date soon. Looks like early July.

Nori Chan

So I was thinking about giving the season 1-5 a rent from redbox and playing 400 days as well and I just wanted to know before I dive in if they have any spoilers from the TV Show. I'm about 4 episodes into the 3rd season so I really don't want to get spoiled by playing the game. Thanks for the answers in advance!

Trigger

So I was thinking about giving the season 1-5 a rent from redbox and playing 400 days as well and I just wanted to know before I dive in if they have any spoilers from the TV Show. I'm about 4 episodes into the 3rd season so I really don't want to get spoiled by playing the game. Thanks for the answers in advance!

3rd season? None. There are some cameos, but you'll have already met the characters in question.

Roto13

There technically aren't any spoilers for the TV show, since it takes place in the comic universe.

And there aren't even really any comic spoilers.

Vita bump. Figured I'd post initial impressions.

After having my 360 save trashed in the middle of Episode 5, I bought the retail copy that contains Season 1 and 400 Days (don't worry, I haven't touched the latter so no spoilers).

After completing Episode 1: Chapter 1, my verdict is that it's a pretty rough port job from Tell Tale. The animations somehow come off much uglier in this version, and everything has a noticeable downgrade in the visual department outside of Lee. Effects are also spotty, with blood color being changed to grey instead of red (again, too early to tell if this is a consistent issue).

The major issue here is the transitions. While the loading times are comparable, and possibly faster, than the console versions, scene transitions and dialogue switch-overs are extremely choppy.

The game offers you two choices to play: traditional controls and touch controls. You can not mix and match these styles, which is disappointing as some scenes would arguably make sense with the touch options, and dialogue choices are far easier to read in the touch set up. However, it's generally better to control Lee through traditional controls.

The game also offers multiple saves (takes 12 MB of memory card space in the retail edition) as in the other versions. It's too early to tell yet if this version is prone to the save eating bug that plagues the other versions on consoles.

I will update this when I get further in the game and can pass proper judgement on all the details and issues in the Vita version, though I may save the majority of it for an upcoming excursion in September.

I'm replaying the game so as to get the appropriate saves in anticipation for Season 2.

I like Kenny even more than I used to - I've decided to side with him at every given opportunity. Clementine is as adorable as she's ever been. Also, Christa is annoying.

Mega bump.

I got this on Games with gold and damn, what a game I missed.

My experience of Telltale games was just Game of Thrones. Being a fan of the TV show, I had to dip in, and so far (5 episodes in out of 6) it is alright. I guess knowing the fate of certain key characters in the TV show hinders my choices a little.

On the other hand, I have not seen a single episode of The Walking Dead. And, from what I understand, there is little crossover in characters with the TV show anyway.

Anyway, damn. The characters and story telling was superb. What probably made it all the more special is that I knew the final outcome. That may sound bizarre, but I was watching some Top 10 YouTube video a while back and the final choice was included in the list.

That meant my relationship with the characters, knowing what choice I would be given in the end, all the more
heartbreaking

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Playing this for the first time (I've tried before but never beyond a few minutes) anyway I'm wondering what folks recommend for the UI... Standard or Minimal.

I don't want the game to spell everything out for me, or make it too easy. But I also don't want to be too dicked over by missing critical stuff.

Somehow I've never been spoiled by anything in this series... other than knowing that little girl survives, since she's in all the promotional material for later seasons.

Top Bottom