• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The weird Playstation 1 & 2 games thread

Kuranghi

I can't find it via google because I can't remember the name, but that MTV published weird drug trip game, anyone have any idea what its called?

The gameplay was like in an arena collecting stuff and shooting enemies, it was jank as fuck.

skit_data

MDK! One of my favorites!

61Cdb3DthGL._SL1000_.jpg

Never had this myself back in the days, but my friend had it. Very wierd but cool game.

I’ll have what they were having when making this game, waiter!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve played around with some nes and genesis development and it just blows my mind devs made PlayStation and Saturn games using machine code. I know my math formulas but translating trig and geometry to the cpu assembly is way beyond me.

stranno

Hakai Ou: King of Crusher is probably the weirdest game I have ever played on Playstation. It feels like an uber-clunky beat em up where you have to reach certain level of destruction in every level, trying to avoid incoming fire from the army.

It has very complex physics in the first levels, while you are still human.

cZE1xH5.gif

Follow the chair's trajectory.​

Final boss is the Statue of Liberty throwing tornados, because why not.

tc5203h.gif

CGI makes Beast Wars look like a Pixar movie and, for some reason, credits background is a dude throwing dishes at the ground. Because, when you complete the development of this kind of games, that's what you want to do.

8zuWs21.gif

Last edited:

Impotaku

The PS1 is one of the permanent collections that i have one that i'd never sell, weird & unusual games are what i love on that machine so my library is full of weird quirky fun odd obscure stuff as well as konami's music games & plenty of shmups. Also have a large amount of the pocketstation games too as i love that tiny thing.

kidtKLE.jpg

11LiV4p.jpg

hC3z0FS.jpg

zpfaMV3.jpg

mNFJATf.jpg

tgj0RL1.jpg

c9hIJR4.jpg

1WCiq3H.jpg

BWYH18V.jpg

XSDLSJb.jpg

Z0iFVHP.jpg

rtImjcW.jpg

6Ekfklx.jpg

gKawaNb.jpg

o1XWSIa.jpg

K7XOaOk.jpg

Banned
Chaos Legion is a weird one

here the cool Japanese cover:
135879-chaos-legion-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

here the great European cover, very similar to the JP cover:
SLES-51553.jpg

and here the awful US cover:
89148-chaos-legion-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

and it's super Japanese in the old fashioned way, as in they just slapped german words into the game that sounded good to them and ran with it. Posterchild (literally) of this of course is the main character... which is called:..

...drum roll...

Sieg Wahrheit

...which literally translates to "Victory Truth"

I have a sweet spot for the game, but it is very repetitive and the leveldesign and art design inside the levels is often straight up boring as fuck

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wouldnt classify this as a truly weird game. But for your typical side shooter to have a weird vibe to it with opera music (and I had to read WIki to get more details about it using German language), Einhander felt different than other shooters.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I can't find it via google because I can't remember the name, but that MTV published weird drug trip game, anyone have any idea what its called?

The gameplay was like in an arena collecting stuff and shooting enemies, it was jank as fuck.

I feel like there's a different game than what you're talking about, but do you mean MTV's Club Dead (don't think it was on PlayStation though.)

Or maybe you're talking about Death Drome (also not on PlayStation though AFAIK?), which was kind of a chunky Twisted Metal rip.

Impotaku

Whats the game in the top left corner with the guy with the fist? lol
It's called ramen bashi, it's kind of a ramen shop simulation game. You come back from the fighting in the war and want to settle down so you return to your old hometown & take over the closed family buisness. It's a weird & surprisingly charming game, the town is full of super ugly people though lol.

Valkyria

Banned
The PS1 is one of the permanent collections that i have one that i'd never sell, weird & unusual games are what i love on that machine so my library is full of weird quirky fun odd obscure stuff as well as konami's music games & plenty of shmups. Also have a large amount of the pocketstation games too as i love that tiny thing.

kidtKLE.jpg

11LiV4p.jpg

hC3z0FS.jpg

zpfaMV3.jpg

mNFJATf.jpg

tgj0RL1.jpg

c9hIJR4.jpg

1WCiq3H.jpg

BWYH18V.jpg

XSDLSJb.jpg

Z0iFVHP.jpg

rtImjcW.jpg

6Ekfklx.jpg

gKawaNb.jpg

o1XWSIa.jpg

K7XOaOk.jpg
Wow, you got gold in there.

Tschumi

I wouldn't call it weird, but i was weirded out by the unlicensed Dr. Slump inspired mission in Front Mission 3 <3

Last edited:

CamHostage

I don't know how "weird" this one is specifically, but it was weird that this was almost a major game, for a major publisher by a major developer in transition for the next game after this which was going to be (yet wasn't) a milestone release from the company, and it was treated as a big deal at the time for its novel graphics and intriguing gameplay....

I'm talking about Herdy Gerdy, by Core Designs for PS2 in 2002. It was a kind of open-level creature-herding game mixed with platforming/adventuring where you tried to keep dumb creatures away from a big pink bear. Its claim to fame, besides the mix of play, was an intriguing graphics system that created a pastoral art style. Core Designs made this in between Tomb Raider releases (it also did forgettable stuff like Thunderstrike: Operation Phoenix and Project Eden, but I don't remember either attracting much attention aside from that one was supposed to be on Dreamcast,) and it came out the year before Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. Publisher Eidos highlighted it as one of their titles to check out in the 2001/2002 season, and focused attention on its Don Bluth-like visual design and unusual gameplay. This was Core warming up for the big game to come next...

When you played Herdy Gerdy, however, it showed some signs of trouble to come, unfortunately. Despite relatively leisurely gameplay and a graphics system that relied on careful tuning more than advanced techniques (there wasn't much in the way of cel-shading to Herdy Gerdy, the style mostly came from desaturated color choice and a ton of softening/blur effects, although maybe there's more to the tech than I know?), the framerate was low and the camera fought you all the time. And there never was a PC or other platform release of the game with the technical issues ironed out.

Still, I think Herdy Gerdy is a generally enjoyable (albeit frustrating) game and a neat thing to see visually.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Probably everyone has played it, but Intelligent Qube is a great puzzle game.

The core gameplay itself isnt even anything special, but the music, setting and tiny dude running around give it charm. When was the last time you played a puzzle game with orchestra kind of music?

Beat me to it. Sony put out some weird ass games every generation lol

There is always a small handful of What The Actual Fuck titles by them.

EDMIX

kidtKLE.jpg

11LiV4p.jpg

hC3z0FS.jpg

zpfaMV3.jpg

mNFJATf.jpg

tgj0RL1.jpg

c9hIJR4.jpg

1WCiq3H.jpg

BWYH18V.jpg

XSDLSJb.jpg

Z0iFVHP.jpg

rtImjcW.jpg

6Ekfklx.jpg

gKawaNb.jpg

o1XWSIa.jpg

K7XOaOk.jpg

Massive respect on that collection! Lots of gems there!

Impotaku

Wow, you got gold in there.
Literally, i had to increase the value in my home insurance to cover it as the more my ps1 collection grows the higher the value is starting to rise especially as i have taken great lengths to track down copies in mint or near mint as possible stuff like that flawless harmful park would financially destroy me if i had to try & replace it. Wish it wasn't the case these games were never meant to be treated as high priced objects but just as games to be enjoyed. And enjoyed they are, some are extremely valuable now but i still play and enjoy them regularly just patiently waiting till either that retrotink pro 5x or the ps1 hdmi digital kit comes back in stock as i would love to play my console with lovely scanlines and a sharp picture again. The ps1 is often overlooked now as people assume it looks shit and aged badly when nothing but the opposite is true a lot of games still look wonderful even now.

Massive respect on that collection! Lots of gems there!
Thanks, the PS1 library is filled with fantastic imaginative games. In fact the ps1 is the birthplace of a lot of genres rhythm games been one of them, the library on ps1 is so vast there are japanese games that even now are so obscure that i'm only just discovering them genuine hidden games ones that the west know pretty much nothing about as all the coverage was limited to the japanese side of the web. Only the DS shares this kind of library where devs just made whatever they felt like without been constrained be expectations. The problem with games been so obscure, is that they can be extremely hard to find a copy even if they don't actually cost much, it's a weird situation on ps1 where some of the rarest games are actually not that expensive yet some of the ones that go for mental prices are actually really easy to find as you can always find them on ebay & other places.

Impotaku

Time to put some videos up as box art doesn't give off much when it comes to the weird games.

Oh-No! this ones a stone cold classic, very fun gameplay and a killer soundtrack

Segare ijiri one of the more well known ones thanks to youtubers covering it. You have to piece phrases together to get random skits to play out to get further in the maze of weirdness. Only certain word combinations will let you get further in.

Suzuki bakuhatsu, this ones very unique a bomb defusing puzzle game. I love playing this one as some of the bombs are so well made you pull away the layers till you finally get to the explosive. Many branching paths too so there's a lot to see.

Kowai shashin, you have to exorcise cursed spirit photos in this one. Only one other game like this out there and that one was on the DS.

Charumera is another food sim game you play as a ramen seller in the showa era of japan, you take your little cart around the town serving people but you have full control on the ramen dishes you make and the ingredients you buy it's a fun one but tricky in japanese. There's a nice story that goes with this one as well as you travel around town meeting the various characters.

Mirano no arubaito collection, this one was a total bitch to get hold of but totally worth it. It's sort of an rpg living at home sim minigame compilation. Due to various circumstances you are sent to live with your grandfather who seems to have not been told as he wasn't there so you are basically left home alone to survive you manage your day with various activities wish take the form of minigames. The spritework in this one is amazing, actually a really fun & charming game, juggling mirano's limited time during the day to increase her stats while making sure everythings done is a pleasant juggle.

70's robot anime geppy x, this is a standard shooter but at the same time it's totally not as well. The game plays like an anime series each stage is an episode complete with opening & ending animated song sequences as well as a commercial break in the middle of a stage and a god tier soundtrack. 4 disks of amazingness

Yakiniku bugyou, a bbq action game of all things. Quite fun to play athough it gets hectic pretty fast on the later levels.

Paranoiascape a body horror 1st person pinball game. This one is totally mental in every way

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The winner definitely has to be that PS1 indie game made on the Net Yahtzee or wherever it was called. It was set on an island or something. I spent years trying to find a copy but failed. I always wanted to try it.
I think that was on the UK Official PS demo disc with Resident Evil II. Terra Incognita.

Quasicat

Gold Member
tfwDyn1.jpg

As much as I actually enjoyed playing the Spice World game, the interviews most intrigued me. It’s like they didn’t even know they were going to be doing interviews that day and just showed up in their everyday dress. Except for Baby Spice, who always wore her signature dresses when she was out in public.

Sad edit: I know so much about the Spice Girls as I was really into them in high school.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
I would love to finish Heart of Darkness some day. This childhood whimsy of the intro makes me tear up.

The deaths are really brutal in this game.

Last edited:

Kaachan

Skullmonkeys
It was a weird game in the sense that it was creepy af because the characters and environments were made with claymation techniques

Last edited:

skit_data

Skullmonkeys
It was a weird game in the sense that it was creepy af because the characters and environments were made with claymation techniques
Skullmonkeys is awesome. The soundtrack is among the best soundtracks ever and the wierd humour and incredible cutscenes are among the best.

I played it as a kid and never understood the ”lil bonus tune” because I’m not a native english speaker but I laughed my ass off the other day when listening to it. Absolutely awesome game.

Here’s a lil bonus tune:

Edit: The best part about my relationship with Skullmonkeys was that I tried to explain to my dad on phone what game I wanted: Abe’s Oddysse.
”Its a game with a guy who has this long piece of hair on top of his head and he farts and talks”
He came home with Skullmonkeys. Best accidental buy ever.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino. Dumb low budget puzzler that I played the hell out of.

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member

kidtKLE.jpg

11LiV4p.jpg

hC3z0FS.jpg

zpfaMV3.jpg

mNFJATf.jpg

tgj0RL1.jpg

c9hIJR4.jpg

1WCiq3H.jpg

BWYH18V.jpg

XSDLSJb.jpg

Z0iFVHP.jpg

rtImjcW.jpg

6Ekfklx.jpg

gKawaNb.jpg

o1XWSIa.jpg

K7XOaOk.jpg
Man, 90's cover art was fucking ace. Most covers these days are so bland.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I really wish someone would re-teanslate the Japanese version as the gameplay changes in the Working Designs version really do make it a worse game.
It just makes it more challenging. There are areas where the enemies respawn so you can cash bash.

Top Bottom