• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

M74

I go to sleep, I wake up, and I see we've spilled over into Thread V. I feel like I've missed so much
of the crazy

Kerub

Banned
Zoom would be controlled by hard you press it, so for example an experienced user using a sniper during an fps would know how hard he has to press it for the level of zoom needed, in that situation.

Didn't think about that one, that would be really neat.

Im sorry.

iloveyou.png

That's much more repulsive than baby Reggie.

It blows my mind that some people are not happy about clickable sticks. Did these people not own 360s/PS3s?

The shooter audience is essential if Nintendo wants an install base with high attachment rates.

A bunch of the reactions here are specifically from people who have found the clickystick experience to be awkward or uncomfortable on their other systems. So yes, they did own 360s/PS3s.

It's likely that they're just giving their personal opinion of the experience instead of specifically analyzing how it would affect Nintendo's financials. Some people are weird like that.

Hey, do both the PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers do the analog face button thing? I remember that the PS2 (I think) did it long ago, but I haven't heard people waxing on it any time in the last couple years at all.

HylianTom

Banned
Pressure sensitive slide pads would be true 3D input - or at least 2.5D, as there's no real -Z. Could be interesting in games with 3D movement like Endless Ocean. It's also something that simply wouldn't work with sticks, as the angle would fuck everything up.
I'm waiting to see if Nintendo puts their own Nintendo-ey flavor on clickable sticks before jumping to a judgement. There hasn't been a controller of theirs yet that I've hated, so benefit of the doubt and all that jazz..

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, do both the PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers do the analog face button thing? I remember that the PS2 (I think) did it long ago, but I haven't heard people waxing on it any time in the last couple years at all.
PS3 does it, but no one uses it. Don't think 360 does.

Harker is a well established dev. He posts frequently in the NPD thread with corrections or gives sales ranges and nobody questions him. He was the one who was at GDC this year and said the Wii U launch had some hot titles incoming.

Awesome, good to know.

I refuse to have the argument again, but yes, not everyone thinks the alternatives are good, especially for more competitive fast paced games like battlefield/cod/whatever. And I know they wouldn't ditch it, they would put some shittier alternative that a lot of people (like me) don't like. I don't want to use the touch screen to run or melee someone, I don't want to flick my wrist, I don't want to take my thumb off the sticks to do these actions that I need to perform as fast as possible.

They add a lot more than they take away (read: nothing).

hmmm u present good argument here , the reason why I dont want them is that if Nintendo chose to bring them then they would feel "pressured" to just map something to them just cuz its there ,,,, but I guess there might be no harm in adding them.

I think a better solution of "running" in generic games is to have more sensitive thumb sticks ,,, like what Kid Icarus has right now (although the circle pad caused me to fall off edges sometimes cuz it feels a bit resistive to move)

HylianTom

Banned
GAF on Wii U: "It won't get many of the third party multiplats and it'll get zero exclusives!"
Not so sure on that. I'm kinda skeptical of Nintendo's ability to convince western developers. But think we'll possibly see fairly good porting rates in the first half of the generation..

A bunch of the reactions here are specifically from people who have found the clickystick experience to be awkward or uncomfortable on their other systems. So yes, they did own 360s/PS3s.

It's likely that they're just giving their personal opinion of the experience instead of specifically analyzing how it would affect Nintendo's financials. Some people are weird like that.

Thank you Whore ;)

hmmm u present good argument here , the reason why I dont want them is that if Nintendo chose to bring them then they would feel "pressured" to just map something to them just cuz its there ,,,, but I guess there might be no harm in adding them.

I think a better solution of "running" in generic games is to have more sensitive thumb sticks ,,, like what Kid Icarus has right now (although the circle pad caused me to fall off edges sometimes cuz it feels a bit resistive to move)
I don't think we have to worry about nintendo doing something they don't want to do, they rarely do for better or for worse.

On the bright side it makes devs that much happier. And people like me.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Well, the idea that Nintendo is blameless is ridiculous. About as ridiculous as some of the B.S. excuses spewed by third parties.

It's not that they're blameless, it's just made out like the third-parties carried way more of the burden. It's the way it's argued, that when every shortcoming that Nintendo had is brought up, someone shoots back that it should have just been overcome by some roundabout method by the third-parties.

I don't see what the big deal is in any case, I don't see much love for big third-party games, in fact I see many just ripping on them for their tropes.

Was going through some of the newly published Nintendo patent applications and bumped into the "new" gun-shell design.

At first glance it seemed only the shell's design changed but then I noticed the "built-in nunhuck"...... with what it seems an extra button!?

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

EVH

Can someone explain who the hell is Harker, what happened with him and why the thread is running so fast? I've tried to search but found nothing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Was going through some of the newly published Nintendo patent applications and bumped into the "new" gun-shell design.

At first glance it seemed only the shell's design changed but then I noticed the "built-in nunhuck"...... with what it seems an extra button!?

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?
No! Looks awesome. Nice work!

HylianTom

Banned
It's not that they're blameless, it's just made out like the third-parties carried way more of the burden. It's the way it's argued, that every shortcoming that Nintendo had should have just been overcome by some roundabout method.

I don't see what the big deal is in any case, I don't see much love for big third-party games, in fact I see many just ripping on them for their tropes.
You hit a big ol' nerve of big truth right there. I find it very, very funny that we make a big deal about getting support of big-name, headliner games - and then so many of us say something like "..but I don't really care for that type of game. Nintendo just needs it so that they do well!"

Pressure sensitive slide pads would be true 3D input - or at least 2.5D, as there's no real -Z. Could be interesting in games with 3D movement like Endless Ocean. It's also something that simply wouldn't work with sticks, as the angle would fuck everything up.

could you design our Dream controller please :),,,,I totally agree with this

You hit a big ol' nerve of big truth right there. I find it very, very funny that we make a big deal about getting support of big-name, headliner games - and then so many of us say something like "..but I don't really care for that type of game. Nintendo just needs it so that they do well!"
that's because whining is always the loudest. There are TONS of 3rd party games that were some of the best games this generation, bar none. Some being better than most of Nintendo's output imo.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

Seriously, when i see these Wii-U-Zapper, i think of my Wii U ship :p

HeySeuss

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

That looks hideous and I would be terrified the Upad wouldn't be stable and would fall off.

Seems to not contain a wiimote anymore either.
The 'button' may be a replacement camera sensor but I dunno. Strange place for a button though.
Edit: oh, you're talking about below the control stick, I see. Guess it's to replace the lack of B-trigger.

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

Nice! But what the hell happened to the trigger in front? It even looked analog!

Seems like it will be more than just a plastic shell this time. It has to add the IR camera for pointing, since the DRC lacks one.

Edit: Also seems the "nunchuck" part only has one shoulder button. That would explain the extra face button on it.

I've occasionally wondered about analog sticks that you could hook your thumb into for movement in all directions, but the implementations I've thought of have generally seemed, in my mind, to be flimsy and easily breakable. Also people have different-sized thumbs.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Hehe, that is pretty much it. We all like to think of ourselves as armchair analysts, which is fun of course, but also sort of makes us very clinical about our hobby. :p

Anyways that's my contrarian argument for the day.
---

And that patent.... I don't know if I'd be able to trust that to hold the pad sturdy when I'm flicking that around. A bit top-heavy.

HylianTom

Banned
Hehe, that is pretty much it. We all like to think of ourselves as armchair analysts, which is fun of course, but also sort of makes us very clinical about our hobby. :p

Anyways that's my contrarian argument for the day.
---

And that patent.... I don't know if I'd be able to trust that to hold the pad sturdy when I'm flicking that around.

I love that term.. "clinical." Very appropo.

And knowing my clutzy ass, I'd have the pad flung across the room within fifteen minutes of playing with that thing. Scary. And expensive.

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

I would get this if Crytek made that sniper demo into a real thing and made a bundle with this,,,,
yaaah Nintendo dont be throwing some stage from Zelda and packaging them with this would get me to buy it >.<*

HylianTom

Banned
yaaah Nintendo dont be throwing some stage from Zelda and packaging them with this would get me to buy it >.<*
That's the only reason I own the current Wii Zapper. Link's Shooting Gallery. So sad.
(and I still hate that tomb level late in the game. So difficult!)

Just out of curiosity, how many posts does a WUST thread reaches before moving to another thread ?

Never seen such a vociferous community as here in neogaf x___x

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to not contain a wiimote anymore either.
The 'button' may be a replacement camera sensor but I dunno. Strange place for a button though.
Edit: oh, you're talking about below the control stick, I see. Guess it's to replace the lack of B-trigger.
That would be the worst design decision ever. "Oh, you wanted a gun trigger for this gun peripheral? Too bad, here's a tiny button you need to take your thumb off the analogue to press."

Nilaul

Now that I think about it... I should patent my idea.

Thank you Whore ;)

Ha, I was snarky there, wasn't I? Not my usual M.O. (I hope), but they did not have coffee in the break room this morning!

Cmd. Pishad'aç;37559591 said:
Just out of curiosity, how many posts does a WUST thread reaches before moving to another thread ?

Never seen such a vociferous community as here in neogaf x___x

~20k posts is the general limit for all of GAF. It is not automated, though. edit: Mods generally lock a thread that hits the limit, but users police themselves well enough that sometimes it is not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom