• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Back on the topic of the '06 Press Conf. ... Nintendo's crazy sometimes, you realize that for Mario Galaxy they didn't even have a trailer? Let alone an on-stage demo. It was just a part of the sizzle reel and then later as b-roll footage with no audio. Can you imagine Microsoft's not bothering to make a trailer for a new Halo game?

japtor

How about technologies and features that are rumored? Such as USB 3.0 and support for multiple controllers. Also, stuff related to marketing like the Digital Downloads.

I need ideas.
Video stuff of some sort. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Vimeo, cable networks, etc.

Social stuff, general web browser or apps for Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.

...looks like you got those in since the last time I checked.

Multitasking of some sort, like game on one screen and whatever apps on the other.

On the crazier end of the spectrum is ES OS and/or somewhat open development.

GC Virtual Console or digital HD rereleases of GC and Wii stuff.

Pack in game(s).

Wha? Why would that ever happen? A character from an obscure 15 year old title?
Worked for Ice Climbers.
EatChildren said:
I just heard from my sources that the Wii U is going to be exclusive to Australia. Sorry guys.
z10.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
XD

If anyone can find some good item ball art I would really appreciate it. Need some good avatar to use for E3 that fit my theme!

joshwaan

EC I'm Australian I hope what you say is true hehe but if we get it first it will be $799 AU or something crazy :p

Another thing that's on my mind I've love to watch the Nintendo conference live this time, I live in South Australia what time and day for me would it be live?

Edit: EC your an fellow Aussie very cool :)

ace3skoot

It's definitely in SEGA's best interest to have their Kart Racer out before Mario Kart on the Wii U. It'll be the only Kart Racer on the market giving it a considerable advantage and opportunity.

Nintendo should let them use Kirby this time.

actually i can seriously see a Mario and Sonic karts coming out considering what a juggernaughts both Mario kart and the Mario and Sonic Olympic games are its a sure way to make cash...just as long as they let nintendo develop it :p

Mistle

EC I'm Australian I hope what you say is true hehe but if we get it first it will be $799 AU or something crazy :p

Another thing that's on my mind I've love to watch the Nintendo conference live this time, I live in South Australia what time and day for me would it be live?

Edit: EC your an fellow Aussie very cool :)
It's usually on around 2-3am EST, but this year it seems to be on at 5am? That'd be 4:30am for you.

Which is actually better as I get to sleep and get up early instead of disrupting my sleep half way through.

Fabrik

Banned
How in god's green earth did you draw that conclusion from that? Seriously, my mind is blown.

That's the conclusion I make too! If UE4 isn't showed at Nintendo's conference then it means it won't be supported from the get-go and probably down-ported later (if it's technically possible). But it doesn't really matter, games should look good nonetheless.

Terrell

That's the conclusion I make too! If UE4 isn't showed at Nintendo's conference then it means it won't be supported from the get-go and probably down-ported later (if it's technically possible). But it doesn't really matter, games should look good nonetheless.

This is like saying that because Ubisoft goes before Nintendo and Ubisoft is showing WiiU games that we'll know EVERYTHING about the WiiU before Nintendo hits the stage.

There's no logic to this.

wsippel

Banned
I don't think they'll even start working on porting the engine to any console until they hammered out all the details on PC.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Now updated to allow you to block out the items with a click.

I'm now wondering if this might be too easy. I'd like people to have three sheets to play with (isn't that how they do it in Bingo parlors?), but if someone gets most of the gimmies like Bill Trinen, Miyamoto, Pikmin, etc. on the same card, its won't be much of a dramatic win. :(

DrWong

Did you watch the Reggie video announcing the FB official Wii U page? Just discovered it this morning. No news but it's cool as it means we're finally in the last sprint.

wsippel

Banned
I have no idea what to make of this, considering both Sony and Microsoft are expected to use AMD CPUs:

April 2010 – September 2011 (1 year 6 months)

IBM 22nm & 32nm GPU/CPU gaming core physical implementation support. 18month contract through CTG (Computer Task Group.)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpoplawski

April 2010 – October 2011 (1 year 7 months) Chippewa Falls, WI 54729

IBM 22nm & 32nm GPU/CPU gaming core physical implementation support. 19 month contract through CTG (Computer Task Group)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danfaschingbauer

I'm 99.9% certain this has nothing to do with Wii U, but whatever. By the way, there doesn't seem to be an IBM research facility in Chippewa Falls. Only Cray seems to have a development center there.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Anyone notice that BG, and Ideaman, and Alberto have barely posted in this thread the last few.

Did ideaman stop posting in this thread?

Hey, i posted 2 or 3 Wii U related news a few hours ago :) Beside, i'm busy irl :p

But the new pace of the thread is a shame yes and we've certainly lost some posters. I wonder if there's a way to indicate to people that if they want to talk about Wii U, there's a thread in Community, maybe a sticky in the gaming section ?

Gahiggidy

I have no idea what to make of this, considering both Sony and Microsoft are expected to use AMD CPUs:

I'm 99.9% certain this has nothing to do with Wii U, but whatever. By the way, there doesn't seem to be an IBM research facility in Chippewa Falls. Only Cray seems to have a development center there.
You could ask the second guy via Twitter...

https://twitter.com/#!/dfaschingbauer

-- Actually, he looks to be more of a sales man from the twitter profile. One of the two profiles could be a fake. :shrugs

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I don't think Nintendo would do it but I'd like to see Eggebrecht there. Factor 5 always seemed to enjoy getting the most out of Nintendo's consoles, in part thanks to their close relationship, but I'd love to know the Wii U was going to be taxed. If only for Pilotwings U.

I would shit bricks if that happened (Factor 5 is supposedly dead and according to his website Eggebrecht has moved on to make social games ... "shudder"...)

antonz

It is interesting info. Timeline wise I think it fits with what most of us felt would be the development timeframe for Wii U stuff but the nodes are an apparent issue.

The other option is of course Sony/MS but that would indicate Console work done awfully early for a 2013/2014 set of consoles. It would mean MS and Sony sitting on their next gen consoles deliberately

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
is this not a given with pCARS?

btw, the community galleries of Project Cars are often updated in the official website, don't hesitate to have a look, it's gorgeous. Beware, it's certainly on beast machines, but the prospect to have a realistic drive simulation on Wii U is really cool :)

Would it be possible to have a good quality racing wheel that allows you to place the controller in the centre, or is the pad just too big? I could imagine it being good for F1 games, or having a GPS in open-world racers

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Would it be possible to have a good quality racing wheel that allows you to place the controller in the centre, or is the pad just too big? I could imagine it being good for F1 games, or having a GPS in open-world racers

Clearly there will be wheel peripherals that integrates the padlet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's really clever with the Falco/Chozo holding power up.

Well, people said I should creep EatChildren with the Falco is Chozo thingie. I guess I'll stick with this until I find a good item ball art.

I guess Samus will wonder why there's a buff blue bird holding her powerup but nvm

Ookami-kun, your avatars are scary.

No prob :3

I think they're kinda cool

wsippel

Banned
It is interesting info. Timeline wise I think it fits with what most of us felt would be the development timeframe for Wii U stuff but the nodes are an apparent issue.

The other option is of course Sony/MS but that would indicate Console work done awfully early for a 2013/2014 set of consoles. It would mean MS and Sony sitting on their next gen consoles deliberately
The timelines don't match because the CPU was still designed for 45nm by mid 2011. If the plan changed, and I don't think it did, the shrink would have happened after June 2011. It's hard to find any solid info on the CPU, but there are some bits and pieces. The GPU on the other hand? Next to nothing. I know that one of the engineers behind Starlet was involved, that there's an ARM core and that it has an AMD UVD unit - and that's pretty much it.

I do know that Microsoft and IBM worked on a 32nm die shrink for the XCGPU, though. Maybe that's what those entries are about...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Well to be clear, I'm not talking about some cheap plastic Mario Kart Wii shit. I mean a good quality wheel from Logitech or some company like that.

I bet that will be available some time, look at those Project Cars mock-up from the developer document where wheel buttons are managed from the touchscreen. It's logical to have a peripheral that supports the DRC to easily access them with your thumbs while you turn the vehicle with wheel moves.

I want a wheel with pink fur and extra-kitsh goodies like little dices chained on it :D

joshwaan

I bet it will, look at those Project Cars mock-up from the developer document where you can spot the wheel buttons managed from the touchscreen. It's logical to have a wheel peripheral that supports the DRC to easily access them with your thumbs while you turn the vehicle with wheel moves.

I want a wheel with pink fur and cheesy goodies like little dices attached on it :D

lol sounds classy :p

Mate any new news about the OS on the Wii U?

Pocks

So I just woke up from a dream about Wii U. Specifically that a bunch of images and even some video from some 1st party games leaked. I got to see a new Zelda and new Smash Bros before I was woken up by my roommate.

It was glorious.. and just seeing what is possible with Nintendo IPs in HD, albeit through a dream, has me more hyped for E3 than anything else I've read or seen so far.

... we're a sad lot, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom