• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

UE4 currently runs on a single GTX 680 GPU. Why are people expecting UE4 to run on any of the next gen consoles? A GTX 680 GPU is beyond any GPU that will be used for the next gen consoles.

As things currently stands only the PC is suitable for UE4.

Next-gen consoles won't have a pesky API to get in the way. They will run some form of UE4.

Now updated to allow you to block out the items with a click.

I'm now wondering if this might be too easy. I'd like people to have three sheets to play with (isn't that how they do it in Bingo parlors?), but if someone gets most of the gimmies like Bill Trinen, Miyamoto, Pikmin, etc. on the same card, its won't be much of a dramatic win. :(
Couldn't you separate the gimmes and give each card a fixed number of them?

Bumhead

Banned
Dude, I don't think Bird: The Game, will be received well.

That's the idea though!

Imagine the disappointment of teasing like that. The absolute dispair of thinking they really were only talking about the Bird Demo. Then going the full rest of the conference thinking HD Zelda isn't coming, only for Reggie to mutter those words right in the very last few minutes, and reveal a new trailer showing the game in the same vein as last years tech demo followed by "Coming in 2013" date.

Imagine the euphoria at the end of the show. That would be one hell of a rollercoaster ride and some way to sign off the hour long conference.

(Also, I do actually kind of want to have a play around with the Bird Demo.. heh. I wouldn't say no to it being part of a tech demo pack in or something)

Roo

I wonder if Nintendo would use the Zelda tech demo showed last year to build a remake of Twilight Princess? It is clear that Nintendo won't have mainline Zelda for at least a couple of years but Zelda is still the game that sells consoles. Maybe they will just make a "HD GameCube Zelda collection" featuring Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

^ Probably showing off showfloor demos like last year?

lul!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UE4 currently runs on a single GTX 680 GPU. Why are people expecting UE4 to run on any of the next gen consoles? A GTX 680 GPU is beyond any GPU that will be used for the next gen consoles.

People expect it to run because, as far as I'm aware, Microsoft already has intentions to use it for several of their in-house games. And their relationship with Epic guarantees some form of scalability and performance on Microsoft's next generation system, which will be the first priority over PC.

People are too busy focusing on Epic's "we want more power" and assuming it means "IT NEEDS MORE POWER IT WONT RUN AT ALL", while also ignoring the fact the engine is only running on PC at this time because it isn't finished.

ElRenoRaven

Wii U UE4 discussions are so silly. It's like people just don't want to listen or read up on what we know, pull assumptions out of their arse, then get disappointed when their false expectations are assumed wrong. Those waiting on the edge of confirmation are doomed to fall because of their own foolishness.

Exactly. It's just easier and for the better if we all assume it won't be running on the WII U. IF by some miracle it ends up running on it then hey it's a huge surprise and a gigantic bonus. At least by assuming it doesn't nobody will get all upset if it doesn't. Also yea there is no doubt the next Microsoft and probably Sony consoles will have it running on them. Epic would be losing out on a lot of money licensing the engine if it didn't.

test_account

XP-39C²

I can guarantee you 100% that UE4 will run at least on PS4 and Xbox 720. UE is a huge part of Epic's business. There is no way that they make it exclusive to PC.

No idea. That stuff is way too low level for me.

Ok. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I could have finished what I was going to school for. maybe I would understand it now.

I wouldn't rule it out knowing Nintendo unless someone can give logical reasons why it's not plausible.

I have no idea what to make of this, considering both Sony and Microsoft are expected to use AMD CPUs:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpoplawski

http://www.linkedin.com/in/danfaschingbauer

I'm 99.9% certain this has nothing to do with Wii U, but whatever. By the way, there doesn't seem to be an IBM research facility in Chippewa Falls. Only Cray seems to have a development center there.

I found some worthless info. A search led to finding an old newspaper article that seems to suggest N64's GPU was made at that Chippewa Falls facility.

As they say, hope for the best but expect the worst; don't let hope get in the way of expectations, so that when we eventually find out no GTA 5 or UE4 there is little disappointment.

This post is too logical for GAF. Let me fix it for you.

As they say, hope for the best and expect even better; let hope get in the way of expectations, so that when we eventually find out no GTA 5 or UE4 there are lots of disappointment.

Let's put this in context. UE4, at what most likely is max settings, is running on a single GTX 680.

Name me all of the UE3-based games on PS360 running at 1080p/60 at max. And remember these consoles came out after UE3 was announced.

wait...

I was here when BG said goodnight...

an I am here at 11am when he posts again

WTF is wrong with me? this insomnia thing is... Where the hell is my WiiU Nintendo?!

magash

Let's put this in context. UE4, at what most likely is max settings, is running on a single GTX 680.

Name me all of the UE3-based games on PS360 running at 1080p/60 at max. And remember these consoles came out after UE3 was announced.

Can you point me to a link stating the tech demo ran at max settings?

Penguin

Moving away from this discussion, probably another one we've had before

But which company are you most looking forward to revealing their next game at e3, if they do.

-Retro Studios
-MonolithSoft
-EAD Tokyo

ffdgh

But which company are you most looking forward to revealing their next game at e3, if they do.

-Retro Studios
-MonolithSoft
-EAD Tokyo

all of them. i just want games after games after games.

No, and I said most likely. But do you think a company that's trying to sell an engine is going to boast about it running on one card if it took dropping the settings to accomplish that? They are going to show it at it's best. I can't recall anyone trying to sell a product displaying what it can do at an average level.

-Retro Studios
-MonolithSoft
-EAD Tokyo

MonolithSoft

its just that I know what to expect from EAD Tokyo I do not expect any new IPs from them just a new way of playing the old classics

so my hope for a new IP lies solely on Monosoft

-_- UE4 only for 3rd party really anyway and who really want boring looking out of the box games?

Games look best when they made from ground up

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It doesn't matter. If you don't think UE4 will run on the NextBox, you're a fool.

Between Monolith and Retro, we basically have a shot at having two games of the generation out in the first couple of years that aren't Mario or Zelda.
Man.

onilink88

-Retro Studios
-MonolithSoft
-EAD Tokyo

Monolith. I wanna see X-Files: The JRPG, dambit! XD

Anth0ny

-Retro Studios
-MonolithSoft
-EAD Tokyo

Retro first. Then EAD. Monolith would be awesome, but I kinda just got Xenoblade last month...

NintendoWare has been talked about before in a limited sense.

Yes, but it doesn't help with multiplats.
The only reason anyone wants UE4 is because of multiplats, which the Wii U will need.

There's Xenogears 2-5? That's some rock I've been living under.

Technically, Xenogears was the 5th one. They wanted to make a 6 game series, but Square only let them do one, so they made 5. The game that could stand alone the best.
Xenosaga 1-3 would have technically been Xenogears 1 and 2, but they had to change a lot of stuff.
Soma Bringer also falls somewhere in the same universe, but it's kind of hard to pin it down.

Basically, the Xeno series is a mess.

My grandma who has a friend who knows somebody who cleans the tiolet of that guy, who has heard that that anonymous developer, wich phoned that dude he knows from school who knew reggie from an elevator incident last month wich claimed that the regginator himself said the biggest announcement @ e3 will be:

"Metroid x Starfox Fusion Saga powered by UE4!"

Heard it here first folks!

AntMurda

Iwata and Miyamoto have both pretty much said they don't want to enter the FPS race.
Rather, I think we'll see more of an adventure game from them.

Iwata has never said that. They would absolutely love a first-party FPS for that demographic. But Retro Studios FPS would probably be more inline with an FPA rather than a military shooter.

Between Monolith and Retro, we basically have a shot at having two games of the generation out in the first couple of years that aren't Mario or Zelda.
Man.

You are excited over things that do not exist! OMG! But while Monolith and Retro Studios are good, you definitely have a Nintendo hyperbole on them. I mean, both have been making games since like 2002, and I can't say every game was significant. You can't even guarantee the Monolith game will be an international product.

By the way, found this neat video of the 3DS being used as a guide tool at the Louvre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CNSjJ1lFIVc

Has there been any such - what's right the word - unconventional uses for the Wii, and do you expect to see such uses with the Wii U?

Both the DS and Wii were retrofitted in to a lot of schools as teaching aids (pretty much only in Japan, though).

Iwata has never said that. They would absolutely love a first-party FPS for that demographic. But Retro Studios FPS would probably be more inline with an FPA rather than a military shooter.

You are excited over things that do not exist! OMG! But while Monolith and Retro Studios are good, you definitely have a Nintendo hyperbole on them. I mean, both have been making games since like 2002, and I can't say every game was significant. You can't even guarantee the Monolith game will be an international product.

Iwata on FPS games:
It is a reality that some of these [wartime shooting] games sell 10 million units per year in [the West], and this is one valid type of video game genre. I would personally feel sad if all video games became something like that, but on the other hand, I do not think such games should disappear.

Sounds like he'd rather not get in to it to me. He doesn't hate the genre, just that why would he have his companies make games in such a crowded market?

Also, I think that Monolith's next game will definitely hit outside of Japan. The clamoring for Xenoblade definitely turned some heads in NoE and NoA.

EatChildren

What the fuck is wrong with you? I asked for link and you call me a fool.

Because your disingenuous UE4 nonsense is as transparent as it is annoying. If you believe UE4 is only going to run on PC, and is not targeting at the very least Microsoft's next generation system, then you are a fool. It is a foolish assumption to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom