• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

Monolith's Wii U game is much further into development than either Hammer or Raven Blade were, not to mention that, unlike Retro at the time, Monolith have plenty of experience of actually finishing ambitious games.

Is it? I haven't heard much about their Wii U title. As long as Nintendo doesn't shun it then I'm excited to see what they have in store for us.

That's what I'm excited for, hopefully it's not a total pain to do international DD releases.
I cannot wait for all the Shmup goodness that will come out of the Wii U online service. I can taste it right now. :)

It works like everyone who gets a bit further away from Greenwich gets a bit more wrong.
West Coast is the best.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
John Harker, who is confirmed by the mods to have good sources, stated it as if was a fact. He also used the term "sticks" even though it was before the controller leak. Not officially confirmed, but his info should be legit.

for what it's worth, the sticks are definitively clickable on the updated DRC

and hello here

Thraktor

Could be, but Nintendo might be bitter about this one. If they're able to do it more power to them. If Retro's title is a FPS, I'd rather have Nintendo try to pick up a different exclusive.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Nintendo should try to get it as an exclusive, just that they should publish the Wii U version themselves, with THQ still publishing the PS360/PC versions. It wouldn't cost them much, and it's better than there not being a Wii U version.

Is it? I haven't heard much about their Wii U title. As long as Nintendo doesn't shun it then I'm excited to see what they have in store for us.

Their main team has been free since 2010 (when they finished Xenoblade), so if they show something at E3, which I expect they will, it'll have been in development for about two years. I believe they've also talked about having experimented with HD development as far back as 2009.

Linkhero1

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Nintendo should try to get it as an exclusive, just that they should publish the Wii U version themselves, with THQ still publishing the PS360/PC versions. It wouldn't cost them much, and it's better than there not being a Wii U version.

Eh. I don't think they should bother then. I know it wouldn't cost them much, but they wouldn't gain anything out of publishing a game that's also coming out to PC/360/PS3. It would be in their interest to get it as an exclusive rather than publish the Wii U version themselves. I just can't see how they would benefit from publishing a multiplatform version of a game that has no guarantee to do well on their system.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From the Nintendo Power thread:

"Just spoke to my wife at home. My new Nintendo Power is at home. She said the first title in the bottom left is Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 followed by Mirrors of Fate. Sounds like the generations part of the tease is the Belmont clan perhaps? I'll take pictures when I get home.

She also mentioned the cover is a guy in the woods, and it's snowy."

Penguin

Seems like another game announced for Wii U (and 3DS)

Saw the name and thought some spiritual successor to Jett Rocket

Jett Tailfin

http://nintendoeverything.com/89412/jett-tailfin-announced-for-wii-u-3ds/

A first-of-its-kind racing game, Jett Tailfin™ allows players a full range of control with multiple shortcuts and additional landscapes as racers attempt to find the best route to the finish line. Players have the option of challenging friends and choosing from a large variety of different types of fish to race, each mimicking true-to-life attributes of real fish. Examples of some available characters are: Phil A. Salmon ™, Hal Hammerhead ™, Tim Lapia ™, and John Sturgeon ™. Other features include a selection of mini-games such as Clam Ball, Sharks and Minnows, and Fishnet Tag. Additionally, players will attempt to unlock the bonus character, Tom Tsunami ™ – Jett Tailfin’s idol and the fastest fish in the world – and have the opportunity to race as the sea legend himself!

Linkhero1

From the Nintendo Power thread:

"Just spoke to my wife at home. My new Nintendo Power is at home. She said the first title in the bottom left is Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 followed by Mirrors of Fate. Sounds like the generations part of the tease is the Belmont clan perhaps? I'll take pictures when I get home.

She also mentioned the cover is a guy in the woods, and it's snowy."

Oh shit. I don't care for LoS2 but the 3DS CV game might be great.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
After an year of absolute silence about Wii U third party support, we are finally getting some info.
And every single piece of info points at a "Wii2" situation, with third party favourite sentence about Wii U: "No Thanks".

"No thanks, it's different we should think something special for it"
"No thanks, we are focusing on current gen up to now"
"No thanks it will not run UE4"
"No thanks at least for the moment"

and so on...So depressing...

Day after day I'm always more inclined to wait a couple of years for buying a Wii U, in order to "sum and collect" the first party titles and nothing more, avoiding months and months of void support...

iwata_wiiu39me1.png
miyamotowiiud37rs.png
reggie_wiiuiguni.png

^Look at them.

Do they seem to give a s**t if UE4 runs on the WiiU or not?
(maybe they do but that's not my point :p)

They are innovating again and there's nothing stopping them.

I would personally find it just plain boring if each generation of consoles only improved spec-wise to the last one.
How would that make it any different from PC? Exclusives?

Like many of us (I hope), I'll never forget the first time I experienced -the SD- Wii Sports.
I didn't/couldn't care how many polygons the engine was -not- pushing because that simply didn't matter.

We are being "blessed" with a new Nintendo HD console, and if that wasn't enough it also comes with an innovative controller that pretty much does everything.

Can't wait \m/

Edit: Smaller pics

Yep. Spoken line a true nintendodrone.

I would personally find it just plain boring if each generation of consoles only improved spec-wise to the last one.

Like many of us (I hope), I'll never forget the first time I experienced -the SD- Wii Sports.
I didn't/couldn't care how many polygons the engine was -not- pushing because that simply didn't matter.

We are being "blessed" with a new Nintendo HD console, and if that wasn't enough it also comes with an innovative controller that pretty much does everything.
I'm totally with you.

I don't really care so much about UE4, I just want to play the new gems that will follow to Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, DKC Returns and Skyward Sword. I would also appreciate a good third party support, of course, but for me there are other priorities, and for technical beasts I have the PC.

Thraktor

Eh. I don't think they should bother then. I know it wouldn't cost them much, but they wouldn't gain anything out of publishing a game that's also coming out to PC/360/PS3. It would be in their interest to get it as an exclusive rather than publish the Wii U version themselves. I just can't see how they would benefit from publishing a multiplatform version of a game that has no guarantee to do well on their system.

Getting it as an exclusive would cost orders of magnitude more money than just getting the publishing rights for the Wii U version. My point is that if they can get the publishing rights for cheap, they don't need it to sell that well to break even, and they increase the appeal of the console to "core gamers" in its crucial first year.

AntMurda

There is a slew of games on the 360/ps3/pc that are currently looking for publishers. Nintendo has their pick of investments to add into their first-party line up. It is something Iwata hinted at very strongly.

Hopefully much better potentials than Metro.

Hiltz

There is a slew of games on the 360/ps3/pc that are currently looking for publishers. Nintendo has their pick of investments to add into their first-party line up. It is something Iwata hinted at very strongly.

Hopefully much better potentials than Metro.

I'd be surprised if Nintendo actually goes through with this. They showed so little support for some of their own titles (Xenoblade and Last Story) so it makes one wonder just how interested they may be in choosing to publish a third-party FPS or something.

Third parties de-announcing titles this E3. You heard it hear first.
They've been doing this for the past couple of weeks, actually. A lot of "yeah, uh, we're not showing anything new at E3 2012; sorry." Is it any wonder that, seemingly, Microsoft and Sony fans don't really feel all that enthused about E3 2012 when several developers have already promised to show nothing?

it would be funny, and then miyamoto can get on stage and tell us all the first party titles they WONT make.
"F-Zero? Wave Race? Pfft, you'll get another Mario Kart and you will LIKE it. Those series don't have enough blue shells. And don't you mofos tell me you're hating on the blue shells, because I have a very-much real one, right here, and am not afraid to use it to make a point.

"I also heard you wanted the new Monolith game. Well, I've got good news for you: if you're European, you're getting it! Oh, but you Yanks, well, I hope your amazing online poll prowess can kick it into overtime. You might have a chance of getting it before Half-Life 3 comes out during the Rapture. Maybe.

"Finally, I heard some of you sons of bitches wanted Mother 4. Well, you can pray in front of your Shigesato Itoi shrines as much as you want, because we're not going to make it. And even if we did, it wouldn't be coming to your country full of gaikokujin, anyway, despite being a pastiche of it. Blow me; I'm rich and you're likely not.

"Now, whoooooo wants Wii Music 2? :D"

Linkhero1

I'm happy about LoS2 on the Wii U. Hopefully this means we'll be seeing a lot more titles from Japanese developers.

Getting it as an exclusive would cost orders of magnitude more money than just getting the publishing rights for the Wii U version. My point is that if they can get the publishing rights for cheap, they don't need it to sell that well to break even, and they increase the appeal of the console to "core gamers" in its crucial first year.

I guess that's true. As long as they feel it's worth the investment.

JGS

Banned
So they have a lot of negativity heading into e3. And let's hope they know what they were doing.
I love Nintendo, but they don't know what they're doing in regards to business strategies. This has nothing to do with the silence since that seems pretty common, but what happens in reality. They routinely upset 3rd parties either by not listening to their concerns or keeping them out of the loop while they perfect their games.

At the same time, they seem to think momentum carries them and so they don't release enough games to supplement the drought left by lack of 3rd party. It's sad because they have so much that they could be releasing stuff with any thought of 3rd party support.

I really wish they would view everyone as competition. Nintendo consoles are often the first one I get, but they are rarely the last lol. WiiU is going to be pretty great but not even close to ubiquitous.

Some of you seem really seem to be fine with the WiiU shaping up to be a Wii2 kind of situation. It's disappointing that after 3 consoles launches, nintendo still seems to not be able to get third party support right. Unless they get the casuals on board again with the tablet (and I don't think they will), I don't see this thing selling anywhere close to Wii numbers. But you guys don't care, right? As long as nintendo is producing great first party titles, right? Problem is, they look for profit and growth. They'll nail the profit part but I'm concerned about their growth. They won't get the core crowd to jump from the ps3/ps3 if third party titles essentially function the same. Moreover, any incentive to buy online version of Wii games are instantly nullified due to the install bases of the other system. The come two years. If UE4 becomes the de facto standard, you can say bye-bye to third party support. Cue the "idc about third party support, I only want first party games" response. Great. Nintendo would like to be able to put up Wii--hell even SNES--numbers on a consistent basis. The core group of gamers though isn't enough to do this. I've never seem so much negativity surrouding a console and i don't know if nintendo can pull a rabbit of a hat this e3. One week left gents.

Penguin

I love Nintendo, but they don't know what they're doing in regards to business strategies. This has nothing to do with the silence since that seems pretty common, but what happens in reality. They routinely upset 3rd parties either by not listening to their concerns or keeping them out of the loop while they perfect their games.

At the same time, they seem to think momentum carries them and so they don't release enough games to supplement the drought left by lack of 3rd party. It's sad because they have so much that they could be releasing stuff with any thought of 3rd party support.

I really wish they would view everyone as competition. Nintendo consoles are often the first one I get, but they are rarely the last lol. WiiU is going to be pretty great but not even close to ubiquitous.

I kind of agree, but also would say the drought.. there is only so much they can do... aside from last year where they just ignored 3 games completely.

They've done a good job of supporting their platforms for the most part. Neither of the other 2 can say they support 2 consoles at the same time.. as well...

They need 3rd parties.. only way they are going to fill that void.. that or opening a ton more studios.

Some of you seem really seem to be fine with the WiiU shaping up to be a Wii2 kind of situation. It's disappointing that after 3 consoles launches, nintendo still seems to not be able to get third party support right. Unless they get the casuals on board again with the tablet (and I don't think they will), I don't see this thing selling anywhere close to Wii numbers. But you guys don't care, right? As long as nintendo is producing great first party titles, right? Problem is, they look for profit and growth. They'll nail the profit part but I'm concerned about their growth. They won't get the core crowd to jump from the ps3/ps3 if third party titles essentially function the same. Moreover, any incentive to buy online version of Wii games are instantly nullified due to the install bases of the other system. The come two years. If UE4 becomes the de facto standard, you can say bye-bye to third party support. Cue the "idc about third party support, I only want first party games" response. Great. Nintendo would like to be able to put up Wii--hell even SNES--numbers on a consistent basis. The core group of gamers though isn't enough to do this. I've never seem so much negativity surrouding a console and i don't know if nintendo can pull a rabbit of a hat this e3. One week left gents.

I'm curious.. what would you have them do exactly?

If they create a state of the art platform to run Unreal Engine 4.. in like 2-3 years... they would have to price accordingly for today, which puts them in the ballpark of 400+

When you mention that the Ps3/360 are still viable alternatives.. so they are looking at the highest priced console on the market (which is still possible with the Wii U) and slow growth so that they are better prepared for a turn around in the future.

Except if the adaption rates are slow.. and software sales are slow... it may not get the support anyhow.

Its.. really.. I don't know.. they are in a tough spot
But I'll wait for e3 to see where they stumbled.

jmood88

If I was selling more than all of them combined, I wouldn't be pissed. It's just baffling that most of them think that power is the only thing that brings gaming forward.

It's baffling that you think that power is the only thing developers are worried about. That goofy controller, nintendo's lack of real online, the history of third party games doing horrible on nintendo systems, etc all have a part in why developers don't want to mess with the system.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Some of you seem really seem to be fine with the WiiU shaping up to be a Wii2 kind of situation. It's disappointing that after 3 consoles launches, nintendo still seems to not be able to get third party support right. Unless they get the casuals on board again with the tablet (and I don't think they will), I don't see this thing selling anywhere close to Wii numbers. But you guys don't care, right? As long as nintendo is producing great first party titles, right?

Yeah, it's been sort of funny seeing it come round full circle like this. Initially excited about 3rd party support, we're back to sour grapes again.

Of course, Nintendo could be picking up all kinds of rookie devs, which frankly is what everyone should be doing considering the copious red ink lately.

For me, "Wii2" and "BigName 3rd Party Whore" are both equally undesirable. There's nothing exciting about those avenues. I want to see new IPs by new people.

AntMurda

I'd be surprised if Nintendo actually goes through with this. They showed so little support for some of their own titles (Xenoblade and Last Story) so it makes one wonder just how interested they may be in choosing to publish a third-party FPS or something.

The point is their questioning the viability of Japanese games in the West. Rightfully so if you look at NPD data. But there is clear evidence that Western games sell in the West. It is irrefutable.

You don't publish a third-party FPS, you publish a first-party fps developed by an indie. Just like Microsoft and SONY have thrived in this generation. As soon as Nintendo takes over, it becomes their game regardless of the developer.

You do realize most third party announcements will be made at e3 right? Just because THQ (A company struggling to survive) drops support for Metro doesn't mean everyone is.

People switch over to doom and gloom mode over here so damn fast. Once e3 is done and gone and we still don't have decent third party support then I'll worry but until then just relax and see what happens.

Some of you seem really seem to be fine with the WiiU shaping up to be a Wii2 kind of situation. It's disappointing that after 3 consoles launches, nintendo still seems to not be able to get third party support right. Unless they get the casuals on board again with the tablet (and I don't think they will), I don't see this thing selling anywhere close to Wii numbers. But you guys don't care, right? As long as nintendo is producing great first party titles, right? Problem is, they look for profit and growth. They'll nail the profit part but I'm concerned about their growth. They won't get the core crowd to jump from the 360/ps3 if third party titles essentially function the same. Moreover, any incentive to buy online version of Wii games are instantly nullified due to the install bases of the other system. The come two years. If UE4 becomes the de facto standard, you can say bye-bye to third party support. Cue the "idc about third party support, I only want first party games" response. Great. Nintendo would like to be able to put up Wii--hell even SNES--numbers on a consistent basis. The core group of gamers though isn't enough to do this. I've never seem so much negativity surrouding a console and i don't know if nintendo can pull a rabbit of a hat this e3. One week left gents.
Oh, no, I'm actually pretty bummed about the UE4 thing, especially if it becomes popular like UE3 did. Thing is, there's a few wild cards there. UE4's popularity could turn out to be more in line with UE1 and UE2, which were still used a fair amount but nowhere near as much as UE3 was this generation. I honestly don't see that really being the case, granted, but it is a possible outcome. Scalability, too. It might actually scale down enough to run on Wii U, who knows. I can guarantee you Epic isn't going to tout that when they're trying to push for more powerful consoles, though. Maybe once those are out, then they'll be all over that, much like they were quick to tout UE3 on iOS - but that's a big maybe.

All told, I just don't want a Wii 2 situation, where despite being the best-selling console of the generation by a considerable margin, it's considered a lesser console despite that and frequently ignored or downright slammed by the mainstream press.

Aostia said:
After an year of absolute silence about Wii U third party support, we are finally getting some info.
And every single piece of info points at a "Wii2" situation, with third party favourite sentence about Wii U: "No Thanks".
Every single one, if you ignore the exceptions.

Linkhero1

I'm definitely disappointed with THQ, but considering they're having a lot of problems I don't blame them. Come this E3, if I don't see proper third party support I'm going to be severely disappointed. Unlike some others here, I care about third party support. Regardless of how the game ends up playing, I just feel there should be a Wii U version. If we don't see a Wii U version of GTA V, RE6, etc. then you know third party support won't be any different from GC/Wii.

You do realize most third party announcements will be made at e3 right? Just because THQ (A company struggling to survive) drops support for Metro doesn't mean everyone is.

People switch over to doom and gloom mode over here so damn fast. Once e3 is done and gone and we still don't have decent third party support then I'll worry but until then just relax and see what happens.

Uh. I've always held a pessimistically optmistic stance about this thing. Where have you been?

jmood88

iwata_wiiu39me1.png
miyamotowiiud37rs.png
reggie_wiiuiguni.png

^Look at them.

Do they seem to give a s**t if UE4 runs on the WiiU or not?
(maybe they do but that's not my point :p)

They are innovating again and there's nothing stopping them.

Can't wait \m/

Edit: Smaller pics
I'm not a fan of nintendo and their superfans annoy me but I wish I was as optimistic about anything as you guys are with nintendo products.

I'm definitely disappointed with THQ, but considering they're having a lot of problems I don't blame them. Come this E3, if I don't see proper third party support I'm going to be severely disappointed. Unlike some others here, I care about third party support. Regardless of how the game ends up playing, I just feel there should be a Wii U version. If we don't see a Wii U version of GTA V, RE6, etc. then you know third party support won't be any different from GC/Wii.

Yep. E3 is all or nothing.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Was it IdeaMan who said the bump was significant?

the search function is easy you know :p

i said "slight", and i added "a few additional frames"

I've been the first to precise the gain third-parties saw on their games once they received the final dev kits a few weeks ago. It was slight, less than 10%.

BUT, it doesn't exclude the possibility that the bump come from more important alterations than usual optimizations, or tweaking. Like an implementation of a final, finished, component, for Wii U.

I hate nintendo and their superfans annoy me but I wish I was as optimistic about anything as you guys are with nintendo products.

Uh. You trying to get banned, junior? Anyway, I also don't like the superfans. It's like they are content with Nintendo just living in a console vacuum like other studios and companies don't exist.

high five yo. I'll always want the wii u because nintendo games in HD is amazing. But if I'm not blown away during their conference with lots of content commitment, then I have no qualms at all about waiting 2-3 years before investing.

Hiltz

The thing that bothered me with the Wii was how obvious some of its issues were from the beginning. Nintendo made some troubling decisions and it also chose to focus on the short-term goals. I just hope it doesn't' repeat some of the similar mistakes with Wii U. Of course, some of those issues seem to have already been taken care of like dual analog out of the box, a potentially better online service, and friend codes.

high five yo. I'll always want the wii u because nintendo games in HD is amazing. But if I'm not blown away during their conference with lots of content commitment, then I have no qualms at all about waiting 2-3 years before investing.

Yep. People are acting like WiiU first party support will be there day one as well. It'll take at least a year.

TheChits

the search function is easy you know :p

i said "slight", and i added "a few additional frames"

I've been the first to precise the gain third-parties saw on their games once they received the final dev kits a few weeks ago. It was slight, less than 10%.

BUT, it doesn't exclude the possibility that the bump come from more important alterations than usual optimizations, or tweaking. Like an implementation of a final, finished, component, for Wii U.

Ideaman don't you have some info for us today?

Yeah same here, I think 3rd party is very important, I reaally want to avoid buying a Xbox 720 next gen, I have a gaming PC already to boot. The PS4 I'm ok with as they have exclusives worth buying the system for. Anyways, we'll see how serious Nintendo is come E3.

Game-Biz

Uh. You trying to get banned, junior? Anyway, I also don't like the superfans. It's like they are content with Nintendo just living in a console vacuum like other studios and companies don't exist.

I don't think hating a particular company is ban-worthy just as long as he doesn't repeatedly rub it people's faces for trolling purposes. And how I stay optimistic? I keep my expectations realistic (i.e. not expecting gfx better than 360) so I wont be dissapointed and I know that we're going to see Pikmin. Pikmin man, in HD. This may not seem like a big deal to you, jmood, but this is a Nintendo fanboy's wet dreaming finally coming to fruition.

Hiltz

The thing that bothered me with the Wii was how obvious some of its issues were from the beginning and why it either took Nintendo so long to fix them or not do anything about it. chose to focus on the short-term goals and it payed off very well for it but not so much for third-parties and more importantly, for gamers. I just hope it doesnt' repeat some of the similar mistakes with Wii U.

The thing that bothered me with the Wii was how obvious some of its issues were from the beginning and why it either took Nintendo so long to fix them or not do anything about it. chose to focus on the short-term goals and it payed off very well for it but not so much for third-parties and more importantly, for gamers. I just hope it doesnt' repeat some of the similar mistakes with Wii U.

I think I remember some of them. DLC, external storage, and shop. Eventually they opened up to DLC a little, they improved SD card support, and without the Nintendo Channel, how could anyone make semi-informed decision about upcoming software? It tied in with the shop nicely.

Anth0ny

Yep. People are acting like WiiU first party support will be there day one as well. It'll take at least a year.

Well, they did say they've learned the hard way from 3DS launch. I think it will have some pretty solid first party support from day one.

Mario and Pikmin is good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom