• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

Sorry to hear. :(

Hopefully things get better for you.

I guess one way to cheer you up is to remind you that we have less than a week to go till E3.

Ask yourself if whatever happened today will really matter five minutes from now, five hours from now, five days from now, five months from now, five years from now. Things will get better.

Thanks fellas. Yea I hardly believe today's news will matter when Ninty delivers (please!) at E3.

Neiteio

this needs to be an avatar
either that or some part of the hype-train image

original.jpg
First screenshot of Retro's top-secret hyper-metal Pokemon reboot?

JGS

Banned
Can you please explain what you mean by the above statement?
They run their business more cautiously than an entertainment company should. They run it like they have a particular commodity - games. As long as they have a specific set of games with a specific number of sales, then they're good and their business model tends to reflect the same type of performance that one would expect from a utility company or maybe landline telephone companies.

The hardware, as unique as it often seems, is made for economic reasons and the ability to play the games as they are in Nintendo's head at the time without a care in the world for others. This too is not that big of a deal except that they routinely make it sound like they want 3rd party involvement when they really don't, or at least not so much that they will change their original plans by much.

I hope & pray WiiU is different & 3rd parties are head over heels in love with the thing, but I'm not that concerned about 3rd Party as it's 1st Party I buy Nintendo for. This is why I say I wish Nintendo would just focus on dominating everybody if they don't focus on embracing most. That said, it never hurts to be on par with your competitors and/or if your software competitors abandon you, you have to be prepared to produce across most/all genres and on a regular basis.

Otherwise your business strategy sucks and a company relies on its own hubris or new stuff that doesn't connect with the regular buyers (Aka hardcore or people who think they're hardcore).

I'm rambling so I'll say more if it's warranted.

Sorry as I know this sort of question has been asked a million times but what time is Nintendo's conference airing on Spike if I'm on central time? This is very important because since I don't have cable I'm thinking of asking a good friend of mine if I can watch it on his TV at his place that morning.

Sorry as I know this sort of question has been asked a million times but what time is Nintendo's conference airing on Spike if I'm on central time? This is very important because since I don't have cable I'm thinking of asking a good friend of mine if I can watch it on his TV at his place that morning.
Not sure but I think 11am

You guys never played Cosmic Walker? It was released by NOGGIN (Nintendo of Great Guinean Island Nations). I guess it was just never localized in your territory. Shame about that region lock.

snesfreak

Banned
Central time?
11AM.

ozfunghi

The hype around Sadness was idiotic if you think about it. Dear THQ, release a game that is in black and white. Apparently that's all people need to think a game will be good. This is a guaranteed solution to your money woes.

The hype around sadness had nothing to do with it being B/W. Remember the timeframe. The Gamecube was bleeding out, always got shafted in terms of 3rd party support or multiplats (if it received multiplats, more often than not, it was an inferior version). Always marked as the kiddie console. Then Wii was announced, but again no strong 3rd party support for the "mature" gamer was announced.

Then came two rogue game studio's completely out of left field, claiming they where there to fill that void, with both "mature" and exclusive games. One was Crossbeam Studio's and the other was Nibris. People wanted to believe and heralded them as the saviors the Wii desperately needed.

Funny that someone here just mentioned Acebandage, because at that time he was still on Gfaqs, fighting the good fight and trying to convince people these games were NOT vaporware, and that every studio had to start somewhere. It was rather funny at the time, but i guess he was rather young back then. I think he was still a teenager.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Latest word I heard from the backroom is a new Wii U kit coming in by overnight airmail. 4x 7990 and 25gb of ram

I'm headed to the bank to remortgage my house first thing in the morning.

Thraktor

This has probably been said a million times already, but do we know for sure that the Mario game Nintendo is showing is the NSMBMii game they showed at E3-2011?

No.

A Nintendo rep said it would be, but PR people aren't necessarily kept up to date on these things. Plus, they're showing off NSMB2 for the 3DS for the first time at E3, and it just wouldn't make sense for them to unveil one 2D Mario game, and then 15 minutes later unveil another 2D Mario game. That's even ignoring the fact that they only have one team dedicated to the 2D Marios.

I'd put my money on it being a new 3D Mario, personally.

No.

A Nintendo rep said it would be, but PR people aren't necessarily kept up to date on these things. Plus, they're showing off NSMB2 for the 3DS for the first time at E3, and it just wouldn't make sense for them to unveil one 2D Mario game, and then 15 minutes later unveil another 2D Mario game. That's even ignoring the fact that they only have one team dedicated to the 2D Marios.

I'd put my money on it being a new 3D Mario, personally.

Super Mario Universe, please,

Redford

aka Cabbie
Fixed it for you.

Indeed. Who came up with that, was it you?

The hardware, as unique as it often seems, is made for economic reasons and the ability to play the games as they are in Nintendo's head at the time without a care in the world for others. This too is not that big of a deal except that they routinely make it sound like they want 3rd party involvement when they really don't, or at least not so much that they will change their original plans by much.

I'm rambling so I'll say more if it's warranted.

Sounds about right.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Indeed. Who came up with that, was it you?

Sounds about right.
Yes, Snow/Winter themes are my favorite in games. Always the best level; so why not make a whole game out of it?

japtor

There's nothing stopping Epic from bringing a scaled-down version of UE4 to Wii U. It certainly isn't going to be as powerful as MS and Sony's consoles, but the feature-set is there. Epic might not decide to bring it to the Wii U as-is, but that's no reason for Nintendo to make a crazy powerful machine and lose a couple hundred dollars per unit just to satisfy a single middleware developer.
Is that something you know for sure at this point or just reasonable speculation?
If this is space themed, then I'd rather not.
Join the Super Mario World 3 bandwagon!

Amen to that.

I wonder what the over/under on my neighbors complaining about my screaming during E3 is going to be..

Your neighbors' bodies are not ready.

Fixed it for you.

Summit? As in mountain-based levels/gameplay?

If this is space themed, then I'd rather not.

Oh come on. Just one more trip into space would be amazing. And as I posted in one of the previous threads, they could literally make the game about the Mario series' universe. IE: one Galaxy is Mushroom Kingdom/SMB 1 themed, another is SMB 2 USA/SubCon themed, another is SMB 3/Tanooki/Koopa Kid themed, a SMW planet and so on. And each Galaxy would have power ups specific to the game they were paying tribute to. Never happen but an idea I like.

Thraktor

Is that something you know for sure at this point or just reasonable speculation?

Every indication we've had thus far says that the Wii U's GPU has a modern feature-set. Power is a different matter, of course, but it's safe to say that the functionality will be there.

Latest word I heard from the backroom is a new Wii U kit coming in by overnight airmail. 4x 7990 and 25gb of ram

Just called the electrician to wire the 208/30 twist lock circuit I'll need to power the optional external Nintendo branded EMC fiber channel SAN.

What, can't afford a quarter of a million dollar console? GET AN 8TH JOB N00B!

antonz

Nintendo sent out their E3 email just now reminding everyone of their schedule.

Still odd the developer roundtable will be put up at almost midnight

antonz

Nintendo should copy sony a bit with E3. Sony is opening the doors to the first 200 random people for attending the conference. Good way to get some enthusiastic clapping etc

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo should copy sony a bit with E3. Sony is opening the doors to the first 200 random people for attending the conference. Good way to get some enthusiastic clapping etc

Holy crap yes!

Either that, or make it part of a contest with Club Nintendo: a drawing for Club Nintendo members who have achieved Platinum status by XX/YY/ZZZZ date. It'd be a fantastic way to get some surefire enthusiastic audience members in there, so that the audience isn't composed of just media stiffs pretending to be sooooo professionally neutral and unemotional.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Your neighbors' bodies are not ready.

Summit? As in mountain-based levels/gameplay?

A winter resort couterpart theme to Sunshine:
Gahiggidy said:
By the way, how about a Super Mario Summit? As a sequel to Sunshine, it could take place at a mountain resort. You could have levels based on ski slopes, hot springs, cliffs, a winter sports park, etc. with a quaint village as the center hub.

HylianTom

Banned
A winter resort couterpart theme to Sunshine:

I would loooove that. Especially if shadyspace's idea of a group of space stages was implemented. Mario could have his own chalet that would change as you complete more and more levels. That'd be fantastic. Release it in winter right around the holidays.. it'd be perfect.

StevieP

Banned
Every indication we've had thus far says that the Wii U's GPU has a modern feature-set. Power is a different matter, of course, but it's safe to say that the functionality will be there.

I think it's literally going to be SM 4.1 vs SM 5.0 (and, conversely, VLIW vs GCN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom