• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't recall him saying that exactly. Something more along the lines of "people will be really impressed" or similar. But Wii U will feature great first party content and a lot of what I would call 'mature' generation software (i.e., the opposite of the usual launch games) and that, to me, will equate with one of the strongest launch lineups ever.

You're right. And I found why I mis-remembered.. it was a joke post from Smiles.. :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37513295&postcount=18721

And here's the original thread with Satterfield's original statements:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471110

He is a tease.. I remember many folks going nuts after those comments, but they blur together after a while. I'm glad I could find correction.. :p

Can't wait for Ninja Gaiden 3 on UE4 engine:

Future-War.gif

500full.jpg

Alrix

All I'm gonna do is cross my fingers and hope Nintendo knows what they're doing.

I want to have faith in them, but man its difficult.

Penguin

But couldn't it be argued that had the Wii been able to handle UE4 that it would be less likely for them to drop support since it would be extremely easy to just port said game over to the Wii U? If it doesn't support UE4 then they basically have to create a new game for the console.

Yes, but at the same time
Just because they go out of their way to make sure their console can support Unreal 4 doesn't mean those games would still come.

Its like that magical belief, if you build it they will come.

We're seeing right now that developers don't want to put teams on getting Wii U versions of current gen games like Tomb Raider

Yes, but at the same time
Just because they go out of their way to make sure their console can support Unreal 4 doesn't mean those games would still come.

Its like that magical belief, if you build it they will come.

We're seeing right now that developers don't want to put teams on getting Wii U versions of current gen games like Tomb Raider

Sure but you want to cross your I's and dot your T's. You want to give the developers/publishers the LEAST amount of reason to not bring their games to your hardware and Nintendo not building the Wii U to handle UE4 is a big reason.

New games = COD Blops 2 (if its on the Wii U)
Ass Creed 3
Rayman
Pikmin
Super Mario 4

That would be a very good lineup.

Pretty much all those ones have been long anticipated or are anyway too much predictable, I hope they have something else to show up.

Besides I reckon Nintendo has kept a low profile so as to take everyone off balance, especially its main competitors, so I'm expecting at least 5 - I'm keeping low - unannounced games on top of the ones you have mentioned, and I'm not talking about mere porting of PS360 games, but of something that'll make the showcase of WiiU's true potential.

Penguin

Sure but you want to cross your I's and dot your T's. You want to give the developers/publishers the LEAST amount of reason to not bring their games to your hardware and Nintendo not building the Wii U to handle UE4 is a big reason.

And I won't disagree with that necessarily.
Just saying that it still wouldn't magically fix their problems with 3rd parties.
Nor does it necessarily mean they will have problems like they did with the Wii.

We honestly can't say for now.

StevieP

Banned
I like that, but who believe? EC and lherre comes here and paints a totally different picture =/

Of either Sony or Microsoft - Microsoft has the box with the higher specs. There may be some instances where the new MS box does induce a traditional generational leap (for example - the memory amount could be one aspect). All the Microsoft engineer was saying is that the razor blade model may not be as prolific this time around. The post, for those of you that don't want to click:

bkillian said:
No, see, when 360 launched, the XBox org was a "strategic bet" (Microsoft dumps tons of money into strategic bets - not all of them pan out). Now it's a profit center. It would be infeasible to reduce year over year profit growth. So selling hugely underpriced hardware now is going to be a tough sell.

But I wasn't referring to ancillary revenue. I was referring to direct hardware profits. The 360 launched with a roadmap to profitability using process shrinks and volume discounts. It's successor won't be so lucky. Process shrinks are getting harder to execute and energy efficiency is not linear with process size (much more leakage at smaller sizes).

Also, the customer focus has changed. People spend more time on 360 now consuming media than playing games. Sure, games are good, but what keeps that ancillary revenue coming in now is evenly split. You don't need a monster, power hungry, money losing superbox to provide streaming movies, and the games will adapt to the resources they have. A modest increase could be workable. Quadruple the memory, and even with no changes in CPU and GPU, the games would be significantly better.

If the rumors have any truth in them, both sides are aiming a lot lower this next generation that the previous.

So I was not saying MS is not currently making money on it's games business, I was just pointing out that your original statement overlooked the fact that the company may not be as willing to dump money into the ecosystem as it was last time around.

And another post from about 30 minutes ago:
bkillian said:
It seems to you GPU == Power. Let's say you had a Cape Verde level GPU but a 8x more powerful CPU, would the box still be "underpowered"? How about a 3x CPU and Cape verde GPU, but 8GB of RAM?

*coughs loudly at what he's saying for no real reason*

trollface.jpg

Penguin

So how many games will meet the same fate as Raven Blade, Donkey Kong Racing, Kameo, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., and Disaster?

Well 2 of those came out....

Just one not on the system it was revealed for.. and the other not in the States.

Speaking of MIA Wii games.. did Link Attack Heroes ever make it West?

Thraktor

There's nothing stopping Epic from bringing a scaled-down version of UE4 to Wii U. It certainly isn't going to be as powerful as MS and Sony's consoles, but the feature-set is there. Epic might not decide to bring it to the Wii U as-is, but that's no reason for Nintendo to make a crazy powerful machine and lose a couple hundred dollars per unit just to satisfy a single middleware developer.

HylianTom

Banned
There's nothing stopping Epic from bringing a scaled-down version of UE4 to Wii U. It certainly isn't going to be as powerful as MS and Sony's console, but the feature-set is there. Epic might not decide to bring it to the Wii U as-is, but that's no reason for Nintendo to make a crazy powerful machine and lose a couple hundred dollars per unit just to satisfy a single middleware developer.

How much you wanna bet we'll see it on cellphones at some point?

Watch.

Instro

So how many games will meet the same fate as Raven Blade, Donkey Kong Racing, Kameo, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., and Disaster?

There will probably be 1 first party game hidden in a sizzle reel that won't make it. Kind of like that space/astronaut game Nintendo showed 2-3 years back.

There's nothing stopping Epic from bringing a scaled-down version of UE4 to Wii U. It certainly isn't going to be as powerful as MS and Sony's consoles, but the feature-set is there. Epic might not decide to bring it to the Wii U as-is, but that's no reason for Nintendo to make a crazy powerful machine and lose a couple hundred dollars per unit just to satisfy a single middleware developer.

But see, thats the problem, Nintendo is all about making money and thats fine, but people shouldn't get upset with Epic for not bringing their engine to Nintendo if Nintendo isn't prepared to create the type of hardware that would make it worth other developers time and money as well.

Vinci

Danish
But see, thats the problem, Nintendo is all about making money and thats fine, but people shouldn't get upset with Epic for not bringing their engine to Nintendo if Nintendo isn't prepared to create the type of hardware that would make it worth other developers time and money as well.

By making the engine scale well enough to include the Wii U, Epic could likely increase its licensing fees with 3rd parties. ;)

So yeah, it's in their best interest to make it usable on as many platforms as possible.

Thraktor

How much you wanna bet we'll see it on cellphones at some point?

Watch.

I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed it will.

They've created a console with a modern feature-set. That should be enough for third parties, but I suppose we'll get a better idea next week of whether it really is.

*Reggie on stage*

"We have one last surprise for you HARDCORE GAMERS... it's a title that's been in the works for years, seemingly forgotten, but now it's finally here, and coming to the Wii U this year."

*gasps from audience*

"Presenting, for the first time since 2007, the return of...

Sadness"

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
*Reggie on stage*

"We have one last surprise for you HARDCORE GAMERS... it's a title that's been in the works for years, seemingly forgotten, but now it's finally here, and coming to the Wii U this year."

*gasps from audience*

"Presenting, for the first time since 2007, the return of...

Sadness"

project HAMMER is the console equivalent of Steel Diver

either that or that space walking game...

Redford

aka Cabbie
They did this Castlevania teaser bullshit before, making you think it's something big. Did it for Portrait of Ruin I believe.

Edit: woooo, reading your thread IM.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The hype around Sadness was idiotic if you think about it. Dear THQ, release a game that is in black and white. Apparently that's all people need to think a game will be good. This is a guaranteed solution to your money woes.

Courtesy of StevieP in the WiiU UE4 thread.

Do we have a source for this quote? Does a very good job of hype-building if true.

StevieP has pretty much echoed my thoughts on UE4. All engines these days are scalable and you'll see all 3 next gen machines being able to run UE4, albeit with differing amounts of bells and whistles. You'll see it running on browsers in a year or two so we really don't need to concern ourselves. All this talk from Epic is just hype and PR bollocks, there'd be very little point in developing an engine that only runs on high spec hardware unless Epic don't want to make any money on the thing.

Sadist

The hype around Sadness was idiotic if you think about it. Dear THQ, release a game that is in black and white. Apparently that's all people need to think a game will be good. This is a guaranteed solution to your money woes.
Sega thought it was a good idea...

StevieP

Banned
StevieP has pretty much echoed my thoughts on UE4. All engines these days are scalable and you'll see all 3 next gen machines being able to run UE4, albeit with differing amounts of bells and whistles. You'll see it running on browsers in a year or two so we really don't need to concern ourselves. All this talk from Epic is just hype and PR bollocks, there'd be very little point in developing an engine that only runs on high spec hardware unless Epic don't want to make any money on the thing.

Shader Model 4.1 and Shader Model 5 are almost the same thing.

wsippel

Banned
Sega thought it was a good idea...
And weren't Mad World and Infinite Space the the only games from the Platinum deal that performed in line with their expectations? I think Infinite Space even managed to perform better than expected or something.

Neiteio

Can someone cheer me up? Today was a dark day for me AND the Wii U it seems.
Ask yourself if whatever happened today will really matter five minutes from now, five hours from now, five days from now, five months from now, five years from now. Things will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom