• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

japtor

I do think Steam would be great, but it just contradicts with so many philosophies about how Nintendo controls its content, making it seem highly unlikely, but not implausible. :)
Yeah I wouldn't expect a whole store from Valve or anyone else (outside of whatever game's DLC) but what I'd hope for is something like how Twitter/Facebook/etc can tie into whatever site/app. Like login to Steam with one of Valve's games (or whatever other company's networks) and that'll get linked to the Nintendo account, then friends can be cross referenced through the different networks if wanted cause Nintendo would know who has what accounts here and there. Basically take advantage of Steam (and whatever other networks) for the social connections.
I think it would be a good idea to reduce the size of the cases for the Wii U games (PS3/blu-ray sized or smaller). Kinda like this

5AX9x.png

It would definitely leave more space for my shelf since I stack cases on top of each other rather than side by side.
It'd give more shelf space for showing more games in stores too. And they could ship more in the same containers. And store more in the same space in warehouses.

Why the hell are game and movie cases that tall again?
I'm surprised we haven't gotten those articles yet, to be honest.
Reporters may have been shown stuff and be under NDA as well, in which case they wouldn't say "no support from X!" if they've seen them, but still wouldn't be able to confirm anything either.

Neiteio

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble about ED2 (trust me, I want it more than anyone), but according to Shiggy in the ED2 thread:

"That filing date is a bit misleading. Henry Sterchi is named as an inventor, but he joined MGS in June 2009. The patent is probably just related to Eternal Darkness."

This won't be the final case design.

C'mon guys, the fish game thing boxart is very badly put together. It's just provisional until Nintendo reveals the real thing.

I'm expecting them to be the size of PS3 game boxes (or Blu-Ray in general), really.

I think they should be that size too, there's no reason for the larger DVD size cases. Also, I liked some of the mocks floating around here a while back that used the 'U' blue cases. That would help distinguish even further from current Wii cases.

ETA: Yeah, like what aguila posted

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble about ED2 (trust me, I want it more than anyone), but according to Shiggy in the ED2 thread:

"That filing date is a bit misleading. Henry Sterchi is named as an inventor, but he joined MGS in June 2009. The patent is probably just related to Eternal Darkness."

but what about that quote from SK that they are working on something everyone wants them to do?

Neiteio

but what about that quote from SK that they are working on something everyone wants them to do?
Oh, there are still numerous reasons why it's not altogether unreasonable to think their current project -might- be ED2. However, the reason you mention could just as easily be Dyack construing something not quite so requested (like a Too Human sequel) as "something everyone wants them to do." He's a proud man!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I still believe, dammit!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Oh, there are still numerous reasons why it's not altogether unreasonable to think their current project -might- be ED2. However, the reason you mention could just as easily be Dyack construing something not quite so requested (like a Too Human sequel) as "something everyone wants them to do." He's a proud man!

Proud is one way of putting it...

any prouder and we're entering High Voltage Software territory

StevieP

Banned
Isn't it $3 for a character and a map? And each one is designed to sucker in longtime FE fans to buy in for their favorite character. Then if you want to play the rest of this sidequest, you buy it piecemeal.

I consider the entire DLC model anti-consumer. I've explained this several times, but it's a model that actively encourages publishers to withhold content. With DLC, it's better for a publisher to release the minimal acceptable amount of content, because anything above that minimum could be sold for extra.

Now people like to say that DLC allows developers to develop content post-game. But you will never ever know if it was developed later or simply held back. Never. All you know is that the DLC model encourages developers to withhold content for financial gain. It's a model that greatly shifts power away from consumers and into publishers' hands.

You might say, "Freezie, this Fire Emblem sidequest would never even exist without DLC." But there's no way of knowing that. Getting to play as Luigi in Galaxy or 3D Land? The Green Stars in Galaxy 2? That era is over.

Wait until Nintendo gets used to the DLC model. Playing as Luigi will be paid DLC, and Green Stars will be sold by the dozen. Defenders will still say, "Well, you would've never gotten to play those without DLC," or "The full game with Mario is still there." And publishers know in a generation, nobody will remember that we got multiple costumes in Smash Bros. for no additional cost.

This is a perfect example of how DLC has changed the mentality of gamers.

When Double Dash released, gamers said, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to play the retro courses?" And Nintendo complied and created the Retro Cup. Now all Mario Karts come with an extra 16 tracks, nearly double the content for the same asking price.

Now, gamers say, "I'd pay more for retro courses!" And then when publishers offer this kinda stuff for paid DLC, gamers lap it up. What would you do if you were a publisher?

I'm with you on this one.

Honestly, don't you remember a time when you wished there were more levels in a game? Didn't you ever think it'd be really cool to be able to buy an expansion pack whether it was a new set of levels, a new set of tracks or a new set of missions? I know I did! Yes some games do it much worse than others but there is nobody pointing a gun to your head telling you to buy games that don't give you enough content for your $60. Likewise, you can skip DLC that you don't think is worth the money.

However there are many games out there that sell DLC that is add on content that has been made after the disk has gone gold. Content that add to the experience for those who want more out of their game and are willing to pay for it. Don't attack other publishers because of the actions of those that you believe are taking advantage of their consumers. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.

Remember when expansion packs were free? I know I do. Then again I've been a PC gamer for decades. But the anti-consumerism is just going to increase next gen. Of this I know.

Haha

SK surviving four years

That's a good one

I think they'll last longer than THQ :(

daakusedo

go nintendo reported again a rumour from an obscure site about f-zero, starfox at e3.

But rmc also add that he heard rumblings as well about f-zero.
If he want to precise things a bit here, I'm open to listen...

As far as that supposed Eternal Darkness patent... if I'm reading it correctly it just appears that it's a method of using markers in the environment to signal an animation in the character. Example: when a character walks past a certain point in the floor they automatically will face a painting on the wall to look at it.

Didn't Wind Waker do this back in 2003? It doesn't seem like anything new.

Shiggy

The 2010 filing is still a bit weird, but I think such "late" filings have occurred before.

For SK, I really hope that Nintendo is supporting them. Otherwise they'll be dead in the coming years. They need to pay Epic 4 million, they also need to pay for their own and probably even Epic's lawyers, they need to pay back a government's loan (4 mio). The layoffs last year (half of the team) showed that they aren't exactly swimming in money right now.
Just imagine, only a few years ago they had 150 employees, now they only have about 40.

Human Elements, the first next gen game announcement:

In a new interview with Game Informer, Bowling says the core objective behind Human Element is survival. “Their greatest strength is the fear that [zombies] instill in us, the survivors, that unreasonable fear. Unreasonable fear that leads us to do unreasonable things to survive," he said.

Human Element ‘s character creation system allows players to choose between three different character classes, Action, Intelligence, and Stealth, and three different identities, Survive Alone, Survive with a Partner, and Survive with a Young Child.

“How you choose to start in the world will determine how you can engage and impacts the scenarios you will be presented with on a physical and morality level.”

Human Element is slated for release on next-generation consoles, PC, mobile, and tablets in 2015.

Our 4-page feature with Bowling in our upcoming July issue provides more details on Human Element, including five additional pieces of key art. It starts hitting subscribers next week.

Xbox8,PS4, Wiiu2, iSiri, iTV, iPad 20!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476432

Tim-E

The 2010 filing is still a bit weird, but I think such "late" filings have occurred before.

For SK, I really hope that Nintendo is supporting them. Otherwise they'll be dead in the coming years. They need to pay Epic 4 million, they also need to pay for their own and probably even Epic's lawyers, they need to pay back a government's loan (4 mio). The layoffs last year (half of the team) showed that they aren't exactly swimming in money right now.
Just imagine, only a few years ago they had 150 employees, now they only have about 40.

They seemed to make better games when they were under Nintendo's wing anyway, so hopefully Nintendo will keep them around. They seem to be pretty focused on attracting "core" gamers anway, so I think the kinds of games SK make would accomplish that.

Nibel

GAF's "favorite" Nintendo site reports a rumor which says that Starfox, F-Zero and Smash Bros. will make an appearance at E3

:lol

Tim-E

GAF's "favorite" Nintendo site reports a rumor which says that Starfox, F-Zero and Smash Bros. will make an appearance at E3

Didn't they just start on developing Smash Bros. when they finished Kid Icarus? No way on earth that's showing up in any form.

Oh stop it, just trace it back to the original source and discuss that. Granted I know "the website that shalt not be named" tends to not fact check the stories they post, but still they are not as bad as IGN can be some days.

A source of ours who is extremely close to Nintendo has told us that Nintendo plans to show Star Fox, F-Zero and Super Smash Bros. in some form at E3 this year. It’s not clear whether these will be shown for the 3DS or Wii U and whether what is shown will be art, gameplay or a simple video. All we can do now is hope that Nintendo shows a lot of whatever it is they show next week during their press conference. Keep it here for the latest and let us know below what you think will ultimately be shown and what you hope will be announced.

Gaming Unwrapped. Has anyone even heard of this website before?

Tim-E

SK's standing among "core" gamers is not particularly good these days though, so I'm not quite sure if Nintendo wouldn't be better off pouring money into another studio.

Maybe ED2 can be a sort of test. If it's well received, maybe Nintendo could keep them around.

I want them to make a Too Human sequel... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom