• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

Are you sure that there isn't something they call the "Bunker" in Breaking Bad or something? I never watched it. Or maybe it's just some place where they usually meet up to watch the show or something, maybe they're just fans.

Some people just hate terrible crossover rumours...

I don't consider the Metroid games "serious business" like some.

The cold, hard fact for Metroid (and Star Fox fans) is that apparently neither series are worth enough sales to warrant a game of their own right now. Not to mention this would be a perfect opportunity to make the characters big again; Smash Bros' success proves that crossovers sell, especially when Nintendo are involved.

And the fact Retro will be involved is enough to give confidence, they are very good.

AntMurda

The cold, hard fact for Metroid (and Star Fox fans) is that apparently neither series are worth enough sales to warrant a game of their own right now. Not to mention this would be a perfect opportunity to make the characters big again; Smash Bros' success proves that crossovers sell, especially when Nintendo are involved.

Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid Other M both sold over a million world wide. It certainly is a viable series. It proves that at the least, the niche core Nintendo audience can sustain them. As for Star Fox, there really hasn't been a good brand new one to gauge where the series potential is at.

Izick

And the fact Retro will be involved is enough to give confidence, they are very good.

I don't think crossovers sell just because they're crossovers though. Smash had a really engaging type of gameplay, and basically was a boon for multiplayer gaming before online multiplayer on consoles was a big deal. People liked playing with their friends, even back then.

Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid Other M both sold over a million world wide. It certainly is a viable series. It proves that at the least, the niche core Nintendo audience can sustain them. As for Star Fox, there really hasn't been a good brand new one to gauge where the series potential is at.

Well, combining both SF and Metroid's audience would certainly increase sales. It's odd, if they sold so well you think Nintendo would make more. Guess they're not the franchise whores many make them out to be.

Though saying that, I hope we get a 2D Metroid as well. Prime gameplay is all well and good, but can't beat a sidescroller Metroid can you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's like, not a single reasonable argument for combining the Star Fox and Metroid franchises together that doesn't descend into a horrific Sonic-esque fan fiction nightmare.

The gameplay idea is fine, but it's also completely independent from the franchise. It could work with either alone, or neither and instead something new.

Combining Metroid and Star Fox would be just another example of a Japanese publisher losing the plot, disrespecting the concept of thematic consistency and value of an established, respectable and consistent lore in a fictional setting.

I hate it will all my black heart and wish pain and suffering upon those who'd allow such a travesty to exist.

GameE

Damn.

I'm beginning to wonder if this could really be the year where Nintendo tops 2006. I mean, I don't think that the pad is as fundamentally crazy as the Wiimote, but still.. their studios could have some really big surprises in store.

And we still don't know what the final big surprises regarding the console are..

rich's tweets hyping me up but doesnt he do games for ps3 and 360 on ign also?

The whole fucking E3 will be a failure if SF x Metroid is true.

Just typing that out pisses me off like you can't even imagine.

fullZZZZZZTVC051011164016PIC.jpg

... oh boy.

Sit down son. I have somethin' ta tell ye.

Daschysta

Metroid is perfectly viable. So is Star Fox.

Not every Nintendo game needs to sell 10 million copies to be viable/successful. Games like Metroid expand the user base and diversify Nintendo's lineup. The fact is that Nintendo can finance games that aren't huge sellers precisely because they DO have other huge selling games. If they only cared about the games that sell huge, huge numbers we would have gotten no Last Story, no Xenoblade, no Metroid Prime 3, no Captain Rainbow/ Chibi Robo/ Fire Emblem/ Advanced Wars etc... It would be all Mario, Pokemon, Wii brand, Nintendogs and Donkey Kong. Yet it isn't.

I'm not against a crossover, it could be cool, but that doesn't mean games in the respective franchises aren't worth making from a consumer or producer standpoint.

garfep

Are you sure that there isn't something they call the "Bunker" in Breaking Bad or something? I never watched it. Or maybe it's just some place where they usually meet up to watch the show or something, maybe they're just fans.

Our conference rooms are themed. They're mostly based on games, but a few are based on TV shows or movies. Rich was being literal; he was in the Breaking Bad conference room while he was writing.

A few of our rooms: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150693775556633.396992.59685491632&type=3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's like, not a single reasonable argument for combining the Star Fox and Metroid franchises together that doesn't descend into a horrific Sonic-esque fan fiction nightmare.

The gameplay idea is fine, but it's also completely independent from the franchise. It could work with either alone, or neither and instead something new.

Combining Metroid and Star Fox would be just another example of a Japanese publisher losing the plot, disrespecting the concept of thematic consistency and value of an established, respectable and consistent lore in a fictional setting.

I hate it will all my black heart and wish pain and suffering upon those who'd allow such a travesty to exist.

I'm still puzzled by Sonic comparisons.

There are furries. And there are Sonic fans.

snesfreak

Banned

I hope it's real just to witness your reaction.

Conor 419

Banned

I'd like it to exist because I want to see Retro prove everyone wrong.

You have to bear in mind, they made Metroid the greatest it could be, they 'get' the Metroid lore and atmosphere.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm still puzzled by Sonic comparisons.

There are furries. And there are Sonic fans.

Sonic fan fiction is a bizarre Edgar Allen Poe void of horrors beyond imagination. This would be that.

I hope it's real just to witness your reaction.

It would be my end. Seriously.

I'd like it to exist because I want to see Retro prove everyone wrong.

You have to bear in mind, they made Metroid the greatest it could be, they 'get' the Metroid lore and atmosphere.

Star Fox has no place in Metroid's lore and atmosphere and vice versa. I don't care how much Retro 'get' Metroid, or Donkey Kong, or how much they might 'get' any other franchise. It's a bastardisation that shouldn't happen.

All my objections have nothing to do with how it would play. It's everything else it represents.

We're getting hyped over tweets from IGN?

IG- "Factor 5 KID ICARUS FOR WII" -N?

I still remember Matt Cassamina saying "I've seens it! I knows it exists! Y'ALL LAUGHED AT ME! BUT IT'LL BE AT NEXT EEEE THREEE!"

Damn.

I'm beginning to wonder if this could really be the year where Nintendo tops 2006. I mean, I don't think that the pad is as fundamentally crazy as the Wiimote, but still.. their studios could have some really big surprises in store.

And we still don't know what the final big surprises regarding the console are..

I think it will. But that's my opinion.

PetrCobra

I'm going to rely on my memory here but I believe Smash Bros was actually how Nintendo was reminding fans of their old characters before reviving them in new games. It was like that with Samus (Metroid Prime/Fusion came after that), then with Kid Icarus... Still, even though they had Earthbound characters in Smash, they never released Mother 3 outside Japan.

Now if you say that neither Metroid or Star Fox are big enough at the moment, it could make sense for such a crossover to be an entirely different genre, something that would sell well and at the same time increase interest in the franchises. But the rumor said that the play styles would be similar to the main Metroid/Star Fox games, and that really does not make sense in this context.

My point is that either Nintendo thinks that these franchises still have good selling potential and they just want to make something new with them, or there is no such crossover.

EatChildren

If you're referring to Uprising, that was nowhere near in dev when Cassamina was ranting like a lunatic.

Factor 5 were pitching Man Icarus to Nintendo at the time. That's where Cassamawhatever's ranting came from.

Not understanding the universal hate towards this metroid x star fox thing. Sounds like a great idea.

I'm a little concerned by the fact that it sounds like it has too many game mechanics- with the slow paced FPS Prime game play, space rail shooting, and the fast paced third person platform/shooter Fox foot levels. It could easily be two separate games, and might work better as such. However, I trust Retro to make it work.

It could also be the perfect franchise to put in "Battle Mii" as a multiplayer mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom