• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Oooooor maybe Nintendo is just leveraging the marketing potential of Facebook, and it's in no way indicative of any features on the system's OS!

Kjellson

Here are some third-party E3 classics.

Activision E3 2007: The Jamie Kennedy Experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzThMe7bBM

Konami E3 2010: The Train Wreck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH_Zc2EXpN4&feature=related

Ubisoft E3 2011: Mr. Caffeine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obIDvKIcFHQ&feature=related
Holy shit, I thought Mr. Caffeine was just a internet nickname. I didn't know Ubisoft called him that!

Anyway, another E3 moment no one seems to remember is the Nintendogs unveil 2005. There was some girl talking to her DS like it was a real dog and then Miyamoto came in. It was embarrassing as fuck and my first E3 conference.

Downgraded to community forums? am sad.

or is it upgraded?

It's downgraded. Great way to kill a thread that has been, until now, the busiest series of threads I've ever seen. Who's daft idea was it to move it from Gaming to Community..? A terrible idea whoever it was! :eek:/

Neiteio

I like in E3 2010 when they had the 3DS promo where Bowser torches Reggie's face and when he came back onstage, his coat was charred and tattered and he tossed it aside like a boss. This year, I'm hoping Reggie will come onstage amid pyrotechnics and billowing smoke as the crowd roars, "BO-DY. REA-DY. BO-DY. REA-DY."

Reggie: "Here's yo kick-ass Platinum Games-made Mr. G&W beat-em-up!"

Crowd: "FUCK YEA."

Deguello

Mr. Caffeine was better than Jamie Kennedy. At least Mr. Caffeine told his bad jokes in earnest and didn't show up drunk (quite the opposite, in fact) and isn't butthurt about negative reaction to his E3, unlike Jamie Kennedy who still is.

zroid

Banned
Mr. Caffeine was better than Jamie Kennedy. At least Mr. Caffeine told his bad jokes in earnest and didn't show up drunk (quite the opposite, in fact) and isn't butthurt about negative reaction to his E3, unlike Jamie Kennedy who still is.

Oy, I had already entirely blocked out the Jamie Kennedy conference from memory. Dammit. It's all coming back now...

HylianTom

Banned
Oooooor maybe Nintendo is just leveraging the marketing potential of Facebook, and it's in no way indicative of any features on the system's OS!
This would be my bet.
and hope

I wouldn't care if there's a Facebook app.. but I don't want to be required to start a Facebook account to access the full functionality of the system.

I wouldn't care if there's a Facebook app.. but I don't want to be required to start a Facebook account to access the full functionality of the system.

ed-lover-come-on-son.jpg

Reggie seems tired or something - even if it's physically impossible.

I thought he looks quite terrible atm. I hope he's in good shape at the conference.

I wish they would make a "my body is ready" reference. That meme is absolutely huge, transcending video games. People who don't even know who Reggie is use that on message boards and Twitter.

Regginator is really the only reference to memes Nintendo makes. They made another reference at E3 2008, and they have used that hashtag before.

Nintendo overdoing ,,Do a Barrel Roll'' last year got tiresome rather quickly, so I'm not sure if I'd wanna see that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with Wii U. I get the complaints, though. People want something that feels new, a complete break from the Wii branding would go a long way in doing that.

The Wii brand is pretty strong though, even if it has somewhat of a negative connotation with some core players.

Just wanted to say the latest comments from Gearbox/Brian Burleson on Aliens CM being the "best looking version/due to 'more power' are very encouraging.

The Wii brand is pretty strong though, even if it has somewhat of a negative connotation with some core players.

I really don't think it's even that. Let's face it, the name and the design of the console itself just straight up evokes more of the same at first glance. If the Wii was named "Gamecube 2" people would have had the same reaction.

MDX

Now it's time to give Okami a second chance, order Last Story, play some Epic Yarn, and i've started to ponder getting Pandora's tower as well, after seeing a videoreview... but i'm still on the fence. I also need to get into Little King's Story again... But i doubt i'll be able to do all that before WiiU arrives, and if the lineup is as great as hinted by some, i'll be in trouble.

My plan is to just play many of the Wii games on the WiiU controller with my headphones plugged in. I really have an issue of sharing the TV. Also, the prices for the Wii games will probably be bargain bin. I hope they offer a sort of touch screen option/patch for games like Skyward Sword. But I cant wait to finish Other M, Xenoblade, Scarface, and some other titles.

StevieP

Banned
I really don't think it's even that. Let's face it, the name and the design of the console itself just straight up evokes more of the same at first glance. If the Wii was named "Gamecube 2" people would have had the same reaction.

How dare Nintendo evoke the name of their most successful home console ever.

StevieP

Banned
People like a feeling of newness.

Which is why we're talking about whether the PS4 is going to make the cut into Sony's conference. Perhaps Microsoft should call their next Xbox "UTriangle" because they clearly haven't had any success with that name.

*trollface grin* lol

StevieP

Banned
I bet it will - watch and see. They say they have no plans to reveal, but I'd bet they're aiming to benefit from the element of surprise. Same for 720.

Don't know if the actual system will be there, as I don't think it's had enough time in the oven yet. However I fully expect unobtainable CGI trailers from both parties. They won't miss that opportunity unless they're nuts (they've shown that they will stoop to CG in the past).

HylianTom

Banned
Don't know if the actual system will be there, as I don't think it's had enough time in the oven yet. However I fully expect unobtainable CGI trailers from both parties. They won't miss that opportunity unless they're nuts (they've shown that they will stoop to CG in the past).

Exactly. They'll want to show something, even if it's a sneak peek at the graphical output that'll be possible with the new hardware. Gotta at least try to steal some buzz from the U.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

I get what you're saying but Sony's been running with "Playstation" for a while. The Wii brand is pretty successful and widely known, I didn't really expect them to drop it all of a sudden.

The only problem with using the same name though is what I mentioned before, some people have a negative connotation with it - and the Playstation brand suffered a bit this generation with the PSN problems and such too.

I bet it will - watch and see. They say they have no plans to reveal, but I'd bet they're aiming to benefit from the element of surprise. Same for 720.
I'm pretty doubtful - I don't think they'd like to be found out and out lying to their investors. It's not like how Nintendo says things like "We have no plans to do such and such..." implying that plans can change, both Sony and Microsoft were very clear on the matter, in their official announcements (and during keynote speeches) that they won't even discuss new hardware during E3.

zroid

Banned
I get what you're saying but Sony's been running with "Playstation" for a while. The Wii brand is pretty successful and widely known, I didn't really expect them to drop it all of a sudden.

The only problem with using the same name though is what I mentioned before, some people have a negative connotation with it - and the Playstation brand suffered a bit this generation with the PSN problems and such too.

This is why they should ideally have dropped the "U" and just gone with "2". Thanks in part to PlayStation, people understand what that means -- it's a new console.

When you go with "Wii U", the precedent it follows is more akin to the "DSi". Unless Nintendo goes gangbusters on marketing it as an all-new system, the "U" moniker will hurt more than help, I feel. Instead of letting its name market itself, they have to do the hard work. It's just unfortunate.

I don't give half a crap about what specific platforms are named, on a personal level; it just worries me that we might see a 3DS launch situation all over again.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This is why they should ideally have dropped the "U" and just gone with "2". Thanks in part to PlayStation, people understand what that means -- it's a new console.

When you go with "Wii U", the precedent it follows is more akin to the "DSi". Unless Nintendo goes gangbusters on marketing it as an all-new system, the "U" moniker will hurt more than help, I feel. Instead of letting its name market itself, they have to do the hard work. It's just unfortunate.

I don't give half a crap about what specific platforms are named, on a personal level; it just worries me that we will see a 3DS launch situation all over again.

That's definitely a really big concern for Nintendo to consider. Especially considering the Wii U console itself looks really similar to a Wii.

We'll see how they market it, hopefully being able to avoid any confusion amongst the average consumer.

AzaK

Exactly. They'll want to show something, even if it's a sneak peek at the graphical output that'll be possible with the new hardware. Gotta at least try to steal some buzz from the U.

The sad thing is, if they show even 1 bullshit target render of their next platforms, it would not surprise me if that generates more "lol, nintendo is so last gen" from the gaming media.

I actually think that apart from sites that have dedicated platform coverage, the only way nintendo will be covered with any sort of quality next gen will be if the Wii U is über powerful. We all know that's not the case so I foresee another generation of bullshit media rivaling that of Wii. The sticks etc will mean they can at least mention them when talking about multiplats though.

wsippel

Banned
Mpl90 asked me to look for potential 3DS announcements, and while I wasn't looking in-depth yet, I found something potentially interesting: An obscure German company, Mobile Technologies, worked or works on something for 3DS. The company doesn't even have a website and it's not exactly easy to find much about them, but they apparently have nothing to do with games - they specialize in speech-to-text, text-to-speech, and speech-to-speech technology. They work with Carnegie Mellon and the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and recently developed a speech-to-speech translation app. From the "about us" section:

Jibbigo was built on two decades of the most advanced scientific research in speech and language processing at Mobile Technologies and now brings this state-of-the art speech translation technology to your mobile device or tablet. Mobile Technologies and Jibbigo maintain a strong research collaboration with InterACT, the International Center for Advanced Communication Technologies at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh and Silicon Valley) and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany.
A 3DS translation app for the eShop? Doubt it. Looks like middleware to me. Or maybe it's related to Nintendo's weird speech-to-(formatted)-text patent from a while ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom