• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 360 Screens

subversus said:
this just looks much worse than the game on my PC but I don't want to replay the prologue to prove the point. High-Res thread had much better looking pics of the same scene.

Hmm, can't seem to find any in that thread. Have you got any links to that screen? I'd like to see what the difference is and if my computer is lying to me.

Fredescu

Looks great. I knew they wouldn't do a half arsed job as some were suggesting. I wonder if there will be a few more loading screens on the 360 version.

Fredescu said:
Looks great. I knew they wouldn't do a half arsed job as some were suggesting. I wonder if there will be a few more loading screens on the 360 version.

I don't want to troll because I am happy and surprised that this is all happening, but I do hope that if this is successful enough, it will warrant the prequel's port to 360. Or PS3. Or, whatever.

FateBreaker said:
I don't want to troll because I am happy and surprised that this is all happening, but I do hope that if this is successful enough, it will warrant the prequel's port to 360. Or PS3. Or, whatever.

Ehhhh I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. There would need to be a pretty substantial amount of UI work done to get it working on a controller, and this is coming from someone who recently finished it on a controller via Xpadder. The entire inventory, level-up and crafting UIs are built around a mouse so those bits were fairly sucky.

feel

This is coming to the 360??
Fuck, I don't really have time for more games! But after all the praise from pc gamers I can't just ignore this, specially when they seem committed to delivering a good console version with all the dlc free to boot. *adds to ever-growing end of 2011 purchase list*

esc said:
What's up with those running animations? Is it like that on pc? I hate how he turns without animation, specially jarring when he just needs to back off from an enemy a bit. Other than that it's visually very nice and the game itself seems like great stuff even in this relatively uninteresting and dark segment.

Fredescu

FateBreaker said:
The engine that the first one was made in is pretty bad. A port of TW1 would pretty much require a full remake. They attempted to outsource a console port of it in the past, but it fell through. A remake of TW1 in their new engine would be very cool and I'd love to play it, but I think they'd rather use their resources on more new stuff.

This is why TW2 is great

witcher2.exe_2011-06-0ok9b.png

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This actually looks good and I bet it's Alpha anyway. The game has more to it than graphics. Even though it was kinda part of the experience to be amazed by the scenery. :p

I'll buy it even though I own the PC version just to support them. And my fucking Xbox360 is red ringed how about that lol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lastplayed said:
Hmm, can't seem to find any in that thread. Have you got any links to that screen? I'd like to see what the difference is and if my computer is lying to me.

it seems that 1920 does the trick. You can see much more details on textures but being downgraded to 1280 it loses its sheen. So you might be ok with your settings.

14u7ib.png

There's a serious hit in texture quality. And I'm sure the environmental effects (expecially in chapter 1 onward) won't be even close.

But still...

Damn. It's amazing. It's VERY similar to the real deal, and I played it on maxed settings. Color me impressed. We can cry about old hardware and all, but the X360 is running TW2 better than the majority of PCs out there would.

Xamdou said:
I'd say this is HUGE news

We already knew that stuff but it definitely needs to be repeated as many times as possible. CDProjekt want you to play and enjoy their game first and foremost, they're not solely interested in how much cash they can extract from your pockets in the process.

jett said:
CDP should delay it until early 2012. Releasing in the fall will be suicide.

Releasing it in the falls means I'll consider getting it for Christmas. If it were coming out in 2012 I wouldn't get it until it was discounted.

So what I'm saying is Christmas sells games.

subversus

VisanidethDM said:
There's a serious hit in texture quality. And I'm sure the environmental effects (expecially in chapter 1 onward) won't be even close.

But still...

Damn. It's amazing. It's VERY similar to the real deal, and I played it on maxed settings. Color me impressed. We can cry about old hardware and all, but the X360 is running TW2 better than the majority of PCs out there would.

that's what you get with no overheads and low-level coding. This can't be done on PC unfortunately.

The Dutch Slayer said:
To see the real difference I would like to see overlay GFX gifs like some people can make.
Than you can easier see the "real" difference.

Oh come on, there is a difference and a blind man would notice it. But it's purely cosmetic. It's the same game. The game that is making processors sweat all over the world is apparently possible on consoles, at a simple IQ loss. Heck, draw distance and polygon archytecture is the same - we're simply losing texture quality here.

Isn't it like... good news? Skyrim is possible on consoles, and it's a pretty expansive game. TW2 looks amazing on X360, and doesn't seem to compromise anything.
Maybe, just maybe, we can stop obsessing so much about consoles holding gaming back. For a while.
And go back to blame dev lazyness and greedy publishers etc...

jim-jam bongs said:
We already knew that stuff but it definitely needs to be repeated as many times as possible. CDProjekt want you to play and enjoy their game first and foremost, they're not solely interested in how much cash they can extract from your pockets in the process.

I'm gonna double dip. THIS kind of effort needs to be rewarded.

Salacious Crumb

VisanidethDM said:
Oh come on, there is a difference and a blind man would notice it. But it's purely cosmetic. It's the same game. The game that is making processors sweat all over the world is apparently possible on consoles, at a simple IQ loss. Heck, draw distance and polygon archytecture is the same - we're simply losing texture quality here.

Isn't it like... good news? Skyrim is possible on consoles, and it's a pretty expansive game. TW2 looks amazing on X360, and doesn't seem to compromise anything.
Maybe, just maybe, we can stop obsessing so much about consoles holding gaming back. For a while.
And go back to blame dev lazyness and greedy publishers etc...

If John Carmack says consoles are holding us back, then god dammit consoles are holding us back.

Xamdou

jim-jam bongs said:

Well it's standard fare that all DLC for every single 360 game are not free and are $$$ for developers and MS. Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360 with all PC improvements, contents, and DLC for FREE unheard of in the realm of the X360.

If they advertise these free additions on the box and their advertisements I think Witcher 2 for the 360 will easily sell a million units.

The trouble with the consoles holding PC gaming back discussion is that it's hard to actually quantify how many decisions developers have made for performance reasons which have lead to compromises to their vision, because we're unlikely to ever hear about them.

Xamdou said:
Well it's standard fare that all DLC for every single 360 game are not free and are $$$ for developers and MS. Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360 with all PC improvements, contents, and DLC for FREE unheard of in the realm of the X360.

If they advertise these free additions on the box and their advertisements I think Witcher 2 for the 360 will easily sell a million units.

Let's hope so, the areas in which TW2 really shines are so well done that I hope it does well enough that a lot of devs sit up and take notice.

jim-jam bongs said:
Full credit to OdysseusVA who posted this in the OT:

Looks pretty damned good!

Thanks for creating a thread!
I need to stop spending so much time in other threads and refresh the forum to see the new topics sooner :p

subversus

This free DLC will just come on a disc, that's all. You won't need to download anything.

Wallach

Special J said:
those shots have impossible levels of anti aliasing theres no way these shots are legit.

Strikes me as odd too. The texture detail is about what I would expect, but I find it hard to believe they're getting that level of AA out of the 360.

woober

jim-jam bongs said:
The trouble with the consoles holding PC gaming back discussion is that it's hard to actually quantify how many decisions developers have made for performance reasons which have lead to compromises to their vision, because we're unlikely to ever hear about them.

This is why I feel comfortable and more relieved when I hear a game is developed on PC as the main platform ala the Frostbite 2 engine for Battlefield 3. It'll take advantage of what the PC modern day hardware has to offer, and then they can flip off some switches like resolution and texture to get it running on consoles.

Iksenpets

Banned
Xamdou said:

I really don't think selling on 360 will be a problem. The game has a ton of hype and the 360 crowd loves fantasy RPGs. I mean they'll even buy bad ones like Two Worlds just because they're desperate for more of them. I think the 360 userbase is hungry for a major fantasy RPG outside of Elder Scrolls, and will eat this up so long as it's a quality adaptation.

Mashing

Looks about Medium-High quality compared to the PC (Foltest's armor in particular is a huge difference). Still looks good, a testatement to CDP's prowess.

Kusagari

Iksenpets said:
I really don't think selling on 360 will be a problem. The game has a ton of hype and the 360 crowd loves fantasy RPGs. I mean they'll even buy bad ones like Two Worlds just because they're desperate for more of them. I think the 360 userbase is hungry for a major fantasy RPG outside of Elder Scrolls, and will eat this up so long as it's a quality adaptation.

The problem isn't the 360 base not liking the game. The problem is it's most likely going to come out within a week or two of Skyrim.

JaseC said:
Off-screen camera footage hardly proves him wrong. You're not going to be able to judge aliasing from that.

CD Projekt doesn't strike me as the kind of developer that would demonstrate the Red Engine on the Xbox 360 for 20 minutes and then release bullshots.

Exuro

Kusagari said:
The problem isn't the 360 base not liking the game. The problem is it's most likely going to come out within a week or two of Skyrim.
Along with a billion other AAA well established franchises.

Top Bottom