• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Helmholtz

So is the Witcher 1 worth playing after 2? I have 1 already, I just never got into it. I know it plays differently, but does the game share the same structure(each chapter = 1 area with some main quests and side quests)? Is it easy to get into?
Similar structure yes, it's split into about 5 chapters each focusing on its own area, with main quests and side quests in each chapter. Not as easy to get into as the second game, it's a bit dated now and sort of janky. But at its core it's a great RPG, and if you're into the Witcher universe/lore/story it's worth checking out.

Sobriquet

360 edition, anyone have nausea/dizzyness issues due to the closeness/jitteryness of the camera? This never happens to me not even Kane and Lynch 2.

Frustrated I want to play but ten min makes me close to vomiting.

Oh, damn. I guess I won't be able to play this. Anyone else having the same problem?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Iorveth side ch. 2 spoilers:
I let the mob have Stennis, because he's a cunt, and dayum. They beat him into a pulp. Then Geralt, ever so casually, leans over and scoops some of Stennis' blood into a vial, then walks off like nothing happened.
Kinda made me chuckle.

I'm really impressed with this side of the game, gotta say. Still miss Roche, and Vergen itself is a damn mess, but yeah.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Which is a great song, yeah. I don't see what that has to do with Vergen's bizarre layout though!

dreamfall

I just finished Act 2- it was absolutely stellar. A M A Z I N G!

Team Roche, forever.

I can't believe Henselt- that fucker! After lifting that curse, and protecting him by killing two Witchers from our past, he betrays Roche & rapes Ves. That vile, cruel, piece of shit! You better believe I let Roche have the final stab. We left no prisoners! Onward!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I just finished Act 2- it was absolutely stellar. A M A Z I N G!

Team Roche, forever.

I can't believe Henselt- that fucker! After lifting that curse, and protecting him by killing two Witchers from our past, he betrays Roche & rapes Ves. That vile, cruel, piece of shit! You better believe I let Roche have the final stab. We left no prisoners! Onward!

stick with Roche until the end to get the ultimate satisfaction.

So is the Witcher 1 worth playing after 2? I have 1 already, I just never got into it. I know it plays differently, but does the game share the same structure(each chapter = 1 area with some main quests and side quests)? Is it easy to get into?

I'm currently playing the first Witcher now, in preparation for my first full and proper playthrough of the Witcher 2 EE and I'm loving it.

What's clear is that it is undoubtedly the same world we find in the second game. The same war-torn land ravaged by plagues and corrupt kings and freedom-fighting elves. The connections are there, many of the same characters are there. And for a game releasedi n 2007, the graphics are very nicely done and the world has the same level of attention to detail and the same murky moral choices. the same unflinching level of sex and violence too.

I'd definitely recommed a playthrough for Witcher fans. It's a big, meaty game as well. Must have spent a good 10 hours just on the prologue and the first chapter alone, if not more.

2AdEPT

Sure its warrior blood?

yeah sorry problem solved as I just missed that my harpy eggs vanished while doing alchemy for hanged man's venom....thought for sure it was nekker blood but no I had 30....they just didn't show up in the ingredients menu where I thought they should be. [dolt] had to redo the whole lilies, scribe, adn crown witness shit just to prevent farming harpies for hours...will take longer to redo everything, but at least more interesting and usually fidn something I missed....got the werewolf tropy by going back for crown witness thi time when missed it last..

finally finished it really enjoyed the story. Geralt's history and the Wild Hunt.

I was gun-ho for the final battle (potions, oil, and strong swords) and then went with
the anti-climactic ending
I just find it reasonable after everything was said

Iorveth choices
Saskia and Triss r safe
Phillippa and Sile r safe
Aryan got out of that burning castle
Letho walked away
I'm a nice witcher (got the sensitive guy achievement)

time to play the other side now

SamVimes

To all the people planning to play The Witcher 1, remember that the first act is the worst but it gets really better after that.

Arjen

Oh god, i laughed so hard at a World Cup reference yesterday.

minor act 1 side quest spoiler
I did the fight club quest, and threw the fight. Dandelion comes up to me and says.
How could you lose? Even the mini Kayran predicted you to win with his mini tentacles.

Completed the game again. Still didnt reach level 35. 200 xp off. I did every single side quest too. What the hell am i missing here? Is it possible to grind?

subversus

Oh god, i laughed so hard at a World Cup reference yesterday.

minor act 1 side quest spoiler
I did the fight club quest, and threw the fight. Dandelion comes up to me and says.
How could you lose? Even the mini Kayran predicted you to win with his mini tentacles.

lol, I won so I missed it.

nluckett

So, Im a bit stuck and I need a little help. Im in Flotsam and about to go fight the
Kayran
, but I think I might have a bug. Or just be an idiot.

I have the option now to either go fight the Kayran myself or find Sile... but I cant find Sile. I figure it's better to go fight with her at my side than by myself. I have the quest selected on the quest screen, but it just leads me to the Inn and all I can do there is talk to Triss, talk to whores, do the fighting mini-game... but Sile is nowhere to be found there. Maybe Im just missing where she is supposed to be. Anyone know?

subversus

So, Im a bit stuck and I need a little help. Im in Flotsam and about to go fight the
Kayran
, but I think I might have a bug. Or just be an idiot.

I have the option now to either go fight the Kayran myself or find Sile... but I cant find Sile. I figure it's better to go fight with her at my side than by myself. I have the quest selected on the quest screen, but it just leads me to the Inn and all I can do there is talk to Triss, talk to whores, do the fighting mini-game... but Sile is nowhere to be found there. Maybe Im just missing where she is supposed to be. Anyone know?

yes, I had the same problem. Go to the second floor of the inn and open the last door.

ced

Finished it last night on the Iorveth path.

Really awesome game, it does have its annoyances though. I hope we see the consoles get 3 day one. This was one of the few games that I actually read all the lore and listened to all the conversations. I usually just skip through all the RPG BS conversations, the characters in these games are great.

Disappointed I couldn't poke Saskia, made so many sacrifices for nothing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Hmmm, my Envy 15 might struggle with putting Witcher 2 (PC) up in 1080p... Am about to kick off a Witcher EE (PC) then Witcher II adventure - might shoot for the safer bet with the Xbox version, it looks A LOT better than I expected it to look.

Kudos CDPR!

Obviously yes.

Where though? Do monsters respawn after X amount of time? I dont think i waited once in the game.

Chapter 1 - Nekkers and Endregas didnt respawn
Chapter 2 - Only harpies seemed to respawn but that was quest related
Chapter 3 - Nothing much to kill here

In chapter 1 do monsters stop spawning once the notice board quests are finished?

theDeeDubs

Where though? Do monsters respawn after X amount of time? I dont think i waited once in the game.

Chapter 1 - Nekkers and Endregas didnt respawn
Chapter 2 - Only harpies seemed to respawn but that was quest related
Chapter 3 - Nothing much to kill here

In chapter 1 do monsters stop spawning once the notice board quests are finished?

Chapter 1 - I think the Nekker cave for a certain side quest
Melani (sp?)
respawns
Chapter 2 - the harpies will respawn if you don't set the traps. Start at the cabin at night and work your way to the bottom. Run back up and meditate to Midnight, rinse/repeat. I'm currently farming this one myself.
Chapter 3 - I've heard to make backup save before completing the
Gargoyle hunt
quest just in case you don't make it to 35 by the end. Haven't gotten that far yet to check for myself though.

Perkel

Banned
Undead respawn near Hanselt camp even if you burn boddies.

There is a Troll who respawn near hanselt camp.

BTW i love trolls in Witcher 2. Damn awasome quests with them too.

Best quest for me was helping triss in Act3.

SoulClap

Does anyone know the name of the song playing when you're sneaking around during the
indecent proposal
quest in act 1? That and 'A Quiet Corner' are my favorite songs in the OST.

Grisby

Wait, you get xp from killing enemies? I thought I didn't see the bar move.

Also, CH2 question: I found a
troll who attacked me near the front end of Henselt's area. I ran but when I went back later he was gone. Does he throw out a quest or anything?

Completed the game again. Still didnt reach level 35. 200 xp off. I did every single side quest too. What the hell am i missing here? Is it possible to grind?

Also, destroy the straw dummies. Once you kill 10 of them, you get a 10% XP bonus. 5 to start the game, and then you can kill 6 as soon as you get to Flotsam.

i'm so glad this game has a storage to put your shit instead of forcing to sell it.

i just changed my hair style! didn't know i could do that

But I don't want The Witcher series to end, neither do thousands of fans.

Yeah, but it'd be shitty for them to just be stuck making Witcher games until the end of time.
Two felt like it was building towards a conclusion. I mean, if he finds Yennefer and solves the mystery of the wild hunt, where else is there to go story wise, outside of just starting over with a whole new plot?
Obviously with the basic setup of the main character being a traveling monster hunter, it'd be pretty fucking easy to just keep the series going forever. Just not sure that's what I would want, story wise.

i just changed my hair style! didn't know i could do that

If you're on PC, that's something they added with one of the earlier patches I believe. So if you played it around launch, it may not have been there.

Wait, you get xp from killing enemies? I thought I didn't see the bar move.

Also, CH2 question: I found a
troll who attacked me near the front end of Henselt's area. I ran but when I went back later he was gone. Does he throw out a quest or anything?

I believe you can outlevel monsters, at which point you'll stop getting XP from them. Not completely sure, but that's what it seemed like to me. So, by the end of chapter 1 nekkers weren't giving me XP any more, because they were beneath me.

Don't remember running into your tagged question, so I can't help you there.

Ciastek3214

Yeah, but it'd be shitty for them to just be stuck making Witcher games until the end of time.
Two felt like it was building towards a conclusion. I mean, if he finds Yennefer and solves the mystery of the wild hunt, where else is there to go story wise, outside of just starting over with a whole new plot?
Obviously with the basic setup of the main character being a traveling monster hunter, it'd be pretty fucking easy to just keep the series going forever. Just not sure that's what I would want, story wise.

Hey, as long as they keep up with the quality writing, I'm all up for it.

Chinner

Banned
i'm happy to keep buying witcher games as long as it makes sense and as long as they're quality games.

i don't mind if spend 5 years or so branching out into a different i.p.

Top Bottom