• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 is the most overrated game on a technical level EVER!

BHK3

Banned
Do people actually believe these type of "first post always nails it" posts, or do they just say it because it's like the cool thing to do here?
I mean I know people don't think the first post nails it literally 100% of the time, but do they actually think the accuracy of the first posts is like some unbelievable phenomenon with some freakishly abnormal level of truth in them compared to other posts in threads?
Or as I said, do people just do it because it's the hip flavor of memes here?

Little bit of column A little bit of column B

Slair

Played it on a AMD phenom 3.0ghz, gtx280 and 4gb ram. Mostly high/maxed no ubersampling, ran at a very playable framerate, probably around 30.

Regarding the pop in, the first time i played it i didn't notice, but when i went back after the enhanced edition update i found the foliage pop in to be very, very noticeable.

Sentenza

Do people actually believe these type of "first post always nails it" posts, or do they just say it because it's like the cool thing to do here?
I mean I know people don't think the first post nails it literally 100% of the time, but do they actually think the accuracy of the first posts is like some unbelievable phenomenon with some freakishly abnormal level of truth in them compared to other posts in threads?

anyways, I haven't had any issues with the witcher 2 (so far)
Damn, if you aren't over-thinking about it.

Is playing the first witcher worth it before getting into the second one? I've had it in my steam backlog for quite some time now.

I'd honestly say no. It's aged really poorly and the second game's codex does a really good job of keeping you up to date. Only got 10 minutes into the first game and had no issues with W2.

Is playing the first witcher worth it before getting into the second one? I've had it in my steam backlog for quite some time now.

The first one is better than the sequel, so I would say yes. Be prepared for a slow start though. Takes a couple of hours before it really grabs you.

It ran it fine with my old AMD Athlon X4 640 processor and a Radeon 5770 with 4GB RAM.

I played through it again recently on my upgraded Intel i5, and GTX 660ti card and it (naturally) ran even better.

I personally don't see it as the best looking game ever just because it doesn't do that stuff that impresses me the most. I love amazing aminations and when a game is able to avoid clipping, and Witcher 2 is pretty weak in that regard. That King with the giant belt that looks like a castle; that belt constantly was clipping through his body as he gestures.

It does have pretty great textures, through.

That game ran so smooth for me and it looked beautiful even though I was playing through a laptop on a TV.

How did you ever get it smooth my rig is:
Amd Athlon 64x2 5600 2.8ghz
Ati 5870 1gb Gddr5
2gb ram

And it ran like ass, like, id stagger after being hit, walk into a loading screen, and then load to see the enemies are gone

You posted about this a year ago constantly with your five foot pop in ambushes. Did you start Witcher 2 again so you could work yourself up enough over it to make a thread this time? =P

The crappy shadows (and it being completely broken on amd 48xx series and never fixed) were my only problems with the game.

The textures were amaaaaazing (art and resolution) and the game looks very pleasing.

As long as they fix the shadows (to something worthy of 2013, just fixing the dithering isn't enough) and don't do the usual 'fuck it it's only amd' with the new engine then I'll be happy.

Witcher 1 is very much worth playing, it's the game that made me realise I don't hate all wrpgs. It has an entertaining story , genuinly interesting and likeable characters and interesting dialog.
The color scheme is the best and at times it can look like a painting despite the old engine.
The swamp when it storms and the underground area late in the game look awesome due to use of color, image quality and art alone.

Daingurse

Worth: Hells yes
Needed: Not at all

The first game has unusual and dated design. It's AMAZING however

This. It's a good game, but it is a bit dated. You don't need it at all to appreciate Witcher 2. I'd recommend Witcher 1 like I recommend The Last Wish, makes the game experience richer.

anyways, I haven't had any issues with the witcher 2 (so far)

I think it's a little of both. There have been a ton of times where I've found the first post to be what I feel is the "right answer/reply", but by no means do I think it's some sort of magical phenomenon. But yeah, there's also that meme factor for some.

It has great atmosphere, but it's not that impressive on a technical level. The shadows are terrible and inconsistently applied, the bloom is unusable, the pop-in is awful, and a lot of textures lose detail when you turn off the ugly sharpening.

Only things I didn't like about TW2 was an really low/close LOD distance. You could see things fade in in front of you really close.

The shadow dithering was terrible

and I wish it was Dx11 with tesselation on rocks etc.

I got the superior version - on 360.

POP the disc in and play, never looked back.

Every time I think about building a PC, I think about the simplicity of poping a disk in / finish the game and moving on.

epmode

Every time I think about building a PC, I think about the simplicity of poping a disk in / finish the game and moving on.

Don't forget the couch! And that sweet widescreen television!

Midou

Console:

1) pick up case
2) open case
3) take disk out
4) find out you already got a game in there
5) pop out existing disk
6) put old disk away
7) pop in your game
8) choose to start game
9) now you're playing

PC:

1) Click steam
2) click game
3) now you're playing

or

1) click game
2) now you're playing

Even if you skip step 4 to 6 on consoles, that's still a lot more work. ;)

Sanctuary

The one real issue (besides animation) in The Witcher 2 is the shadow dithering. Otherwise, none of those things you listed are common problems.

Good CHRIST the dithering is bad though.

I had no graphical issues either, running everything on the highest setting prior to ubersampling; except for the shadows. They bugged the hell out of me, especially shadows cast on buildings.

Hargenx

Console:

1) pick up case
2) open case
3) take disk out
4) find out you already got a game in there
5) pop out existing disk
6) put old disk away
7) pop in your game
8) choose to start game
9) now you're playing

PC:

1) Click steam
2) click game
3) now you're playing

or

1) click game
2) now you're playing

Even if you skip step 4 to 6 on consoles, that's still a lot more work. ;)

Sorry to make it for you mate, but...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...of-Kings/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80257520824

So...

1)Click on Game
2)Click game
3) Now you're playing.

^_^

Midou

What can be done to fix the ridiculous pop-in? Because I tried all the configs posted around here and the problem is still incredibly bad. It really takes me out of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MbVDyrZDs

Might be a stupid question, but are you running the most recent patch, with EE and everything?

Sorry to make it for you mate, but...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...of-Kings/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80257520824

So...

1)Click on Game
2)Click game
3) Now you're playing.

^_^

He said pop in disk, meaning his is physical, and still completely relevant.

^_^b

SoulClap

Honestly, I agree. The poor AA implementation, the sharpening filter, the dithered shadows, the awful bloom, and the incessant stuttering even with a smooth framerate. It's an incredible looking game in places, but it has some major technical flaws. Some parts of the game look better than anything I've ever seen, while others look almost terrible. It's a very inconsistent game from a visual standpoint.

I don't know if this is a result of the poor animation or if its inherent to the engine but either way its was the most annoying technical issue with the game.

Acosta

Yes, disgusting and ugly game.

witcher22011-05-2719-5uidx.png

mileS

The mouse lag is impossible to fix as well. It blows me away how games these days release with laggy ass mouse controls.

The LOD stuff can be fixed pretty good with .ini tweaks.

GT5 vs racing game on pc:
GT5
-pop in disc
-firmware update required to install the game (takes 4 mins, this happens every goddamn time I use my ps3)
-1.5 hour install
-an hour + of installing patches
-1 minute loading screens EVERY time you pick a race or a new car
3+ minute process to get into a race every time you start the game

PC:
< 5 minute install
< a minute patching
< 10second loading screens
less loading screens
< 30second process to get into a race when you start the game

PC is where it's at for convenience ever since consoles went online.

GT5 vs racing game on pc:
GT5
-pop in disc
-firmware update required to install the game (takes 4 mins, this happens every goddamn time I use my ps3)
-1.5 hour install
-an hour + of installing patches
-1 minute loading screens EVERY time you pick a race or a new car
3+ minute process to get into a race every time you start the game

PC:
< 5 minute install
< a minute patching
< 10second loading screens
less loading screens
< 30second process to get into a race when you start the game

PC is where it's at for convenience ever since consoles went online.

what racing game on PC?

my favorite thing about this amazing game was the detail they had on the armors. they clearly put a lot of attention towards it and it shows.

Complistic

The shadows are annoying but that was really the only problem I had with the game graphically. I'll let a few frames of stutter slide when you don't make me wait at a loading screen every single time I want to go outside.

rockx4

Witcher 2 ran and looked pretty good when I played it. The only technical issue I had with the game were the shadows.

Daingurse

I play on my bed and my PC's hooked up to a 40 inch TV.
I click Witcher 2 in steam. It plays.

Superior PC.

Another PC in bed gaffer? Playing Crysis 3 maxed out with 2xmsaa locked at 30fps, was so good on my 46" LCD. Hell I played Witcher 2 mostly in my bed with a keyboard and mouse lol. Everything looks better on that TV from 8 feet back honestly.

11slag1.gif

ss_lemonade

The texture issue only happened to me when first loading the game IIRC. As for the pop-in, yeah its there but it never really bothered me. I believe you can adjust the ini file to reduce this (as well as the texture streaming issues)

TheD

The Detective
The OP is 100% right.

The pop in and z fighting is ugly as hell.

Videos of the game on youtube also show the problems.
Anyone that can not see it is blind.

DrSlek

Ran great for me. Zero issues.

I initially had issues with textures and lighting. Everything was covered in a thick orange fog. then I found out it was a clonflict with the engine and the driver control centre. The driver was tryign to force AA and other settings, and the engine didn't enjoy that.

Told the control centre to use application settings, and it was all fixed. Not a single issues since.

hlhbk

This. OP must use crap hardware as TW2 looks and plays fantastic on my PC.

I welcome you to look at my provided config and tell me which part is crap?

Also we will see if its my hardware. I am looking to purchase a GTX 680 in the next 24 hours. I garuntee it will follow me to the new card.

Top Bottom