• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition for Nintendo Switch. 2019.

royox

And anyway a great game isn't about the graphics

From my POV it IS about the graphics when there are versions that gives you everything PLUS the graphics.

Also I'm one of the weird Switch owners that don't care about "muh portability", I use mine 80% on the dock and only portable when I'm playing FFXIV and I'm in DPS queue or Waiting for a Fate/Boss to spawn.

pdubya

Neo Member
I'm in. Never got more than a few hours into the PC version, playing in drips and drabs on the go is perfect.

I know a few people that never played this on the consoles or PC. My older brother is a good example. His poor old PC can't really run any modern games and most of his game time is limited to the Switch as his wife watches everything on TV. This gives him an opportunity to play this game, he'll more than likely enjoy it too. Down the line if he ever builds a new PC or buys a console he might look at the series again. It's a win for the dev and for people who only have a Switch.

benjohn

Colour me impressed. The fact that it even runs on the switch is phenomenal and amazing. I'm so worried about Novigrad though. The performance's gonna suffer badly or they've removed a lot of NPCs and stuff.

Spurs

Neo Member
Look how they massacred my boy ...

Will triple dip though, the comparison video has just highlighted how awful the console version looked too

Evilms

Banned
JoSXCPZ.gif

hmmm

giphy.gif

scydrex

Why is there people surprised by this? If you take Witcher 3 and downgrade everything and 720p res or who knows what res... why it shouldn't run? Looking the gif it remembers me Skyrim PS3/360

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Witcher3_Switch_06112019_03.png

Witcher3_Switch_06112019_05.png

Witcher3_Switch_06112019_09.png

Witcher3_Switch_06112019_04.png

Witcher3_Switch_06112019_08.png

The game is being ported to Nintendo Switch by Saber Interactive (NBA Playground and Shaq Fu ) in close cooperation with CD PROJEKT RED.

Digital version 32 GB.

Last edited:

royox

720p dynamic resolution means the game will run at sub HD most of the time in combat and open world and go to 720 for closed enviroments and cutscenes. I get very VERY dizzy with dynamic resolutions (had to stop playing Xenoblade 2 for a while because of that) so it's a 100% no no.

Mista

Banned
Doesn't look good but expected to be fair. The game is stronger than the Switch but hey, Witcher on the go is always good

Saber

Gold Member

The game is being ported to Nintendo Switch by Saber Interactive (NBA Playground and Shaq Fu ) in close cooperation with CD PROJEKT RED.

Digital version 32 GB.

That second picture is hideous.

The others looks kinda fine.

Last edited:
The fact that millions of switch owners will get to experience the best crpg ever concieved is a miracle. Even at 720p low settings it is a game about characters and stories, so you can still experience the best the game has to offer, all 150 hours.

Shifty1897

IF It stays at 540p most of the time in handheld and runs at a near locked 30, that's still damn impressive. After playing it at 1080p 60fps I think it might be hard to go back though.

It looks like some of you are forgetting the Switch is a handheld console mostly. Name one game handheld game that's bigger than The Witcher 3, it's a strong porting job to get this running at all.

Meesh

I just don't get it... how does Nintendo seem to have everything? Like, everything?
I'm buying this... actually this and just about everything else in the direct 😊

Digital version 32 GB.

Played in handheld mode it should look pretty good because of the smaller screen. Blown up on a big tv....probably not so much.

I'm honestly surprised it looks that good. The Witcher 3 is not known for being the most optimized game around.

Last edited:
looks really bad (graphics).
But increase switch library is always good.

Never finished The Witcher 3. players for around 20 hours and gave up. First couple of quest are amazing, after that it goes really flat.

RPGCrazied

See no point in this. 720p with dynamic res docked? Sure its a feat to get it to run on a handheld, but don't think its going to look all that hot.

Romulus

Why is there people surprised by this? If you take Witcher 3 and downgrade everything and 720p res or who knows what res... why it shouldn't run? Looking the gif it remembers me Skyrim PS3/360

Yeah I don' understand how anyone is impressed by this. Ps4/xbx1 were released 6 years ago and were underpowered on day 1. Switch is newer despite its size and will run it at probably half the details and far less resolution. It's not impressive at all considering how stripped down it is, might as well be from last generation. This is exactly what you would expect with common sense applied.

I mean it looks like shit but the portability factor makes it tolerable. I just wish they could do something where you can transfer your pc game saves. If they did that, I'd get it for the switch as well.

royox

I mean it looks like shit but the portability factor makes it tolerable.

Portable shit is still shit. Nintendo hardcore fans will be pleased with ANY port, doesn't matter how bad it looks or runs, just with the "but portability" argument.

Zannegan

If there really is a Switch Pro that's able to play this at native resolutions at least, then I coukd accept the downgrades, given that the core game is supposed to be that strong (I played for a bit on PS4, but not long enough fmto form a judgement). Otherwise, not for me, but I suppose it's a get for Nintendo and it's a win for people who want more games to play on their system.
Well, just a few days ago we had people declaring it impossible, so I'm not surprised by the surprise. It takes more than just dropping the res and turning down settings though. Skim through the Digital Foundry video on it if you want to see just how much. Sounds like the port must be pushing Switch to the edge.

Given how much work this must have taken, I'm surprised they didn't resort to cell shading or something. Lol.

Portable shit is still shit. Nintendo hardcore fans will be pleased with ANY port, doesn't matter how bad it looks or runs, just with the "but portability" argument.
Brother, you seem a bit upset I used the world tolerable and missed the remainder of my post where there was some context to why I said it could be tolerable. I understand human reasoning is flushed down the toilet when triggered by a random person online. However, pulling shit-ridden assumptions out of one asshole, which who knows what goes in and out of it, is also pretty disgusting.

Much platonic non-hand-holding love.

Zannegan

If there really is a Switch Pro that's able to play this at native resolutions at least, then I could accept the downgrades, given that the core game is supposed to be that strong (I played for a bit on PS4, but not long enough to form a judgement). Otherwise, not for me, but I suppose it's a get for Nintendo and a win for people who want more games to play on their system.
Well, just a few days ago we had people declaring it impossible, so I'm not surprised by the surprise. It takes more than just dropping the res and turning down settings though. Skim through the Digital Foundry video on it if you want to see just how much. Sounds like the port must be pushing Switch to the edge.

Given how much work this must have taken, I'm surprised they didn't resort to cell shading or something. Lol.

EDIT: Here's the df vid if you're interested

Last edited:

royox

Well, just a few days ago we had people declaring it impossible

Most of people considered it impossible because you would think they should at least reach some quality standards after downgrading a game 6 years later. We know now that this "quality standard" is lower than we expected so as far as we know NOWADAYS every single PS4-ONE game could be downgraded and ported to Switch. Horizon Zero dawn, Sekiro, Spider-Man, Gears 5, Battlefront 2....everything can be ported, it just have to look barelly similar, reach 720p from time to time with the excuse of "dynamic resolution", erase every AA, textures, shadows, most of vegetation, most of the enviroment and that's it!!! Port released!!

Top Bottom