• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone Review Thread

This is gonna be fun! Haven't booted it up since I finished, so going back will be a real treat.

Only problem is I know I'm going to play through it in one sitting.

jtar86

I'm gonna give this game a second chance once the game of the year edition comes out. Glad to see the expansions seem to be on the right track.

GKFinns

I spent over 100 hours getting my platinum trophy in the main game. I cannot wait to delve headfirst into this expansion. Easy GotY contender.

Leb

I'm sure Shani and the Oxenfurt university will be a nice palate cleanser for the main course of Ms. Vigo, Dandelion and the Duchess, the knights-errant and
a fully regenerated Regis, because fuck you, that's how.

Already this monday. Great! Can anyone tell me when this and the other expansion are supposed to be set? During the Witcher 3 story, after, before... I've been out of the loop.

Already this monday. Great! Can anyone tell me when this and the other expansion are supposed to be set? During the Witcher 3 story, after, before... I've been out of the loop.

You need to be level 30 to start it. At that point I would say you're either very close to finishing the main story, or it's already done. If you're in a new game plus, you need to be lvl 60.

poodaddy

I'm sorry to shit up the thread with this stupid question, but I was honestly wondering and I can't find it. Does anyone here know where I would find a shirt like Geralt's wearing on the cover of Hearts of Stone? My wife really wants me to get a shirt like that and my google skills aren't serving me.....

On topic, I still haven't finished The Witcher 3, so this expansion couldn't have come at a better time as I'll get to experience it on my first go round! I'm stoked :D

Vinc

I once again feel the need to express my love for CDPR. What an amazing team of talented folks. I feel sorry that I didn't support them earlier. What a damn masterpiece this game is. It's just a feel good story altogether.

Coreda

I'm sorry to shit up the thread with this stupid question, but I was honestly wondering and I can't find it. Does anyone here know where I would find a shirt like Geralt's wearing on the cover of Hearts of Stone? My wife really wants me to get a shirt like that and my google skills aren't serving me.....

It's the plain white shirt that can be bought from merchants (blacksmiths/armorers). You normally use it to craft the base armor. I've been wearing it for quite a while in variations.

wheatfieldoutsidenoviskryn.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Will it make sense to play this post game, story wise?

I haven't beaten the main game yet, but feel like this would interupt the flow of the game if done during...?

tmespe

It's the plain white shirt that can be bought from merchants (blacksmiths/armorers). You normally use it to craft the base armor. I've been wearing it for quite a while in variations.
I don't know about where you live, but in my area blacksmiths and armorers are not easy to find.

Skellige and the last hours are the peak of the game.

I understand the rationale but honestly, just existing in and discovering the world in those first 10-15 hours was pure magic, when I'm leaning and interacting and reacting to everything. And there's so, so much in the witcher 3, it's all so overwhelming in scale.

Once you "get" how the game works on a design and mechanical level, it stops feeling so special anymore.

poodaddy

People are allowed to not like things. Get over it.

I don't think it's too much too ask that it be kept to MGSV threads though. This is a Witcher 3 thread, let's try not to trash it up with more bitching or loving or any mixture of either of a different game. Discussions about MGSV tend to devolve into little more than arguments about subjectivity and I really don't want Witcher 3 threads to be permeated with that nonsense. There are about 20 or so MGSV threads where you, or anyone else, can complain about MGSV, no reason to bring it here.

poodaddy

Can't think of many shirts with a similar frontal design and collar. Does look nice.

aye

Thanks though. If anyone figures out where I might go about getting that shirt I'd really appreciate dropping me a PM or reply; my wife's got kind of a thing for Geralt and it couldn't hurt to pick up some of his threads haha.

Does anyone know when this will be released in Asia (Hong Kong) ... The PSN store doesnt seem to have it advertised and I jsut bought the season pass for it.

Karl Hawk

Banned

I haven't beaten the main game yet, but feel like this would interupt the flow of the game if done during...?
You can play it during the main story provided you got to level 30.

You need to be level 30 to start it.

You don't. The quest is marked as level 30, but in Witcher 3 that's just a guideline.

The expansion is a new, independent side story. It doesn't have anything to do with the main quest of the game. So you can play it before the main quest, after the credits, whatever.

bigjig

Great scores, but I think I'm all witchered out for the time being. The game really seemed to drag for me towards the end. Maybe I'll get this in a steam sale next year.

dreamfall

Gaaaah all these reviews popping up, everything looks so good. I can't wait to dive back into a story driven quest, been doing nothing but exploring since finishing the main quest!

BeeDog

Would be great if the humongous patch could be released today, so I'm all set when this releases next week. PSN hasn't really been a performer for me lately, and 15 GBs (!) would consume half the weekend, I'd reckon.

Super-pumped for this expansion!

Mr YuYu

I'm gonna give this game a second chance once the game of the year edition comes out. Glad to see the expansions seem to be on the right track.

This is a given right? I am thinking of buying it 2nd hand but i think i might wait till the game of of the year edition as well.

I loved the narrative of this game but by the end of it all that was keeping me going was the story. Combat was a chore and the side quests didn't feel rewarding.

Not sure if I'll pick this up or not -- I have a tough time getting back into games via DLC.

WITHE1982

10+ hours depending on how much side content you want to do.

Thank God for that. I was kinda dreading it being 20 hours or more. Not that I don't love the game, it's just my backlog is stupidly big and I need to finish MGSV.

10-15 hours is just about right IMO.

Kamina777

Banned
You must have quite low standards for game play. Good game, but incredibly flawed.
Agreed, was curious about how the gaming press was going to judge the expansion..they let me down as far as the vanilla game. I cared little about the lore though I appreciated the creature designs, the battle mechanics were janky crap and forced you into one play style. To me it was the typical eurojank rpg with more money and polish than usual and an open world in a time where those are as common as FPS games.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Agreed, was curious about how the gaming press was going to judge the expansion..they let me down as far as the vanilla game. I cared little about the lore though I appreciated the creature designs, the battle mechanics were janky crap and forced you into one play style. To me it was the typical eurojank rpg with more money and polish than usual and an open world in a time where those are as common as FPS games.

Or maybe they thought the combat mechanics weren't bad enough that they were a hindrance to their enjoyment of the game.

Sorry to tell you this, but as long CDPR gonna deliver both expansions with high praise, you're gonna be highly disappointed.

sublimit

Banned
I loved the narrative of this game but by the end of it all that was keeping me going was the story. Combat was a chore and the side quests didn't feel rewarding.

Not sure if I'll pick this up or not -- I have a tough time getting back into games via DLC.

IMO most of the side quests were of very high quality in terms of story. I don't think any other open world game of this caliber has better side quests than W3.

Top Bottom