• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone Review Thread

Axbarn

Banned
Once again, CDPR setting the standard.

- Raises the bar on in the genre (player's time is not wasted, but respected, i.e. no trivial quests)
- Raises the standard for free DLC (things like alternate costumes are free, not microtrasactions)
- Raises the standard for quality in Season Pass / Expansions content (no filler, priced extremely fair)
- Listens to it's fans / consumers input and feedback, continues to improve game

In CDPR We Trust

Yeah, I do like CDPR too, but to me they come across as, maybe, slightly exploitative of their reputation as "fan-friendly" sometimes. Just with the move from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 they've already become so much closer to the AAA trends in multiple ways IMO :/

Yeah, I do like CDPR too, but to me they come across as, maybe, slightly exploitative of their reputation as "fan-friendly" sometimes. Just with the move from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 they've already become so much closer to the AAA trends in multiple ways IMO :/

Explain? Haven't they given out more free stuff with W3 than they did with W2? And we're not even on an Enhanced Edition yet either.

I see.
But it looks like it's way longer than that, judging by the trailer. Lots of scenes, characters and places. Amazing.

Think about it though- when you take the open world out of the equation you can go through a massive amount of the game's content in 10 hours. You can complete pretty much the entire Velen Bloody Baron stuff or the Novigrad main quest stuff in that time if you are just focused on just doing the missions. So a 10 hour story focused expansion is pretty damn significant in the context of the overall game.

Denton

Yeah, I feel totally exploited getting free dlcs and fantastic support in post release patches. And don't even get me started on that new expansion coming out next week, only 10+ hours of content, reviews only in the 9s and the fuckers have the audacity to ask 9 dollars for it, who do they think they are, exploiting us like this?

erawsd

With Witcher 3 we've gotten...

- 20% discount for being an owner of previous games... no one else does this.
- 10% discount on digital purchases... no one else does that.
- Digital copies all came with digital bonuses.... hardly anyone does this.
- Physical copies packed full of extras... others dont even bother giving you a manual anymore.
- 16 Free DLC of skins/armor/quests... every else does this and they charge $2-5 a pop.
- No preorder or retailer DLC. No microtransactions, insurance, or other bullshit free to play hooks. Unfortunately, even Witcher 2 launched with preorder dlc.
- 10 hours well reviewed extra content for $10... you're lucky to get an hour or two from most others and the content is rarely worth the time or money.

If this is being "exploited" then bring it on.

- Physical copies packed full of extras... others dont even bother giving you a manual anymore.
- 16 Free DLC of skins/armor/quests... every else does this and they charge $2-5 a pop.
- No preorder or retailer DLC. No microtransactions, insurance, or other bullshit free to play hooks. Unfortunately, even Witcher 2 launched with preorder dlc.
- 10 hours well reviewed extra content for $10... you're lucky to get an hour or two from most others and the content is rarely worth the time or money.

Meanwhile, Batman's 40 bucks season pass doesn't even contain half the content of HoS.

"Exploit" me all day, everyday please cdpr.

ironcreed

Banned

Damn straight. This is why they have ascended to being the best in the business for me.

RockPaperShotgun

The really bizarre thing though is that this DLC, which honestly shows just about every other company how it’s done, is only CD Projekt’s idea of a taster, with the next one planned to be double the size, as well as offering a whole new world to explore. It’s not due out until 2016, but I can’t wait. Honestly, after finishing The Witcher 3 back on release, especially under the pressure of having a deadline, I was a bit worried at having burned out on the damn thing, and that the DLC would be a bit underwhelming.

Far from it. Hearts of Stone reminded me exactly what I loved about it the first time around, and all I could think when the credits rolled was how much I look forward to firing this game up in a few more months and concluding both Geralt’s final adventure, and one of the PC’s finest RPGs. Give or take a few giant bloody spiders. Grr.

VaNIA.gif

funny-gif-asian-guy-thumbs-up.gif

Forkball

You forgot that they gave us Gwent. Gwent.

Windam

Scaley member
Is the collectors edition of this coming to the US? I can't find it anywhere online to preorder.

CDPR says "yes, we don't know what's happening over there", GameStop/EB Games (exclusive retailer for NA) says "check with our supplier we have no info", and WB Games goes "what are you talking about?".

Staf

Well said.

KorrZ

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's laughable to try and say CDPR is exploiting their customers.

zonezeus

Discounts were just a bullshit marketing scheme to make people buy their old, bad games that nobody wanted, besides they were just a smoke screen to cover price fixing. Bonuses and physical extras are useless, could've spent that money to fix the gamebreaking game time clock bug. DLCs and expansions content were just cut from the original game so they don't count either. Oh, and no preorder DLC? Well maybe, but Xbox One Collector's Edition got an extra set of physical cards which is a HUGE deal.

So there you have it, worst developer ever.

tuxfool

Banned
Discounts were just a bullshit marketing scheme to make people buy their old, bad games that nobody wanted, besides they were just a smoke screen to cover price fixing. Bonuses and physical extras are useless, could've spent that money to fix the gamebreaking game time clock bug. DLCs and expansions content were just cut from the original game so they don't count either. Oh, and no preorder DLC? Well maybe, but Xbox One Collector's Edition got an extra set of physical cards which is a HUGE deal.

So there you have it, worst developer ever.

I can't really tell if this is a joke.

Damn you, Poe...

Walpurgis

Banned
Well, to be fair, almost no RPG has worse gameplay than Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Inquisition's gameplay was not the problem with game, not for me at least. Brain dead AI was. These are just opinions though. The fact is that no RPG has worse gameplay than Skyrim.

tuxfool

Banned
I am fairly certain it is thanks to that last line, but I have seen similarly insane posts meant seriously before.

Well...Before release there was a 2 page thread about somebody whining about not being informed about the Gwent cards of the XB1 collector's edition.

Staf

As much as I like MGSV, Witcher 3 is this year GOTY so far.

MGSV has great gameplay and poor story/storytelling. Witcher 3 has good gameplay and great story/storytelling. So for me Witcher 3 beats it. But, if Life is strange episode 5 turns good Witcher 3 may not be my GOTY.

You forgot that they gave us Gwent. Gwent.

Everyone always forgets about Gwent. That's the main game as far as I'm concerned.

I'd pay a hefty amount of money to anyone that can mod and replace all the combat encounters with Gwent encounters.

GOTG right there.

I love both of you.

Well, to be fair, almost no RPG has worse gameplay than Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I just went back to finish DAI after taking a break for close to a year and I actually prefer the combat to Witcher 3's.

There's much more variety to it and it actually remains difficult on higher difficulties. It's not as actioney but that's not really a minus in my books. The AI is a little too dumb though.

Top Bottom