• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
ME had a problem with template design though, just like other Bioware games. ME2 fixed this a bit but at the expense of making the main story matter at all. And yeah ME3 lol.

I don't think any Bioware game has ever had this quality of writing though. Not even close. Then again they couldn't even touch TW1 or 2.

Mass Effect was good at coming up with likeable characters and then putting them into interesting situations. It resonated on such a wide scale because of its pretty accessible appeal; kind of like Star Wars. It grappled with a few deeper themes but never really beyond a surface level. It even had a blatant morality bar giving the player outright points in one direction or the other.

The Witcher takes a much more realistic approach. The world has a tactile grounding to it, a sense of amorality and real grit. That's what I think the other poster was praising and what Mass Effects didn't do.

I disagree both ME1, 2, and a good part of 3 are written very well. I think many people here are confusing good writing with their preference of one type of storytelling over another. It's like comparing Game of Thrones to Lord of the Rings or Star Wars with Star Trek, while these series may share the same genre their approach to storytelling is different. GoT/ASOIF, much like The Wticher series, is grounded in a much more "realistic" world. It's not so much about some hero stopping some great evil threat (at least not yet) but much more about the political machinations of the various Houses and characters and how individuals seek to maneuver or remove themselves from the "Game" in tact. On the other hand Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and much of Mass Effect follows more closely with the mono-myth or the Hero's Journey, in which one main character and a group of characters confront some great evil and in doing so change the course of their world in addition to growing individually.

Neither storytelling is superior to the other, both can either be written poorly or written great. That said, many of us gamers have grown weary with the latter type of storytelling because it has been done so much, mainly because it is easily adaptable to gameplay format as opposed to "realistic" storytelling. But, that doesn't change the fact that ME is a very well written game. DA2 was BioWare's attempt to break from the mold but while it was ambitious and fresh they failed in its execution and thus I was disappointed though not surprised when they went back into their "safety zone" for Inquisition.

I've always liked this video which explains the type of storytelling TW series attempts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsqAmuxjNk

Sober

Where do I get the Bear School Gear Quest ? Please, I need it in my life.
I want this mostly because the gear hunt quests are really fun regardless. I still like Griffin as it's a good balance even though I should be mixing/using Feline for my melee/sign build.

Reebot

Yeah credit where credit's due, they make the choice really tough and both of their sidequests are great. Except for the binary dialog stupidity at the end of Now or Never.

Agreed, one of the rare times I felt pulled out of the world and into that "making a video game choice" space.

aravuus

OK, fair enough on the third, my mistake.

Can you answer the first two questions?

WHY???? They have nothing to do with ANYTHING I'm saying! I'm not here to argue the witcher sense is good either, in fact, I just posted that I'm getting sick of the constant "search this circle with your witcher senses" bullshit the game keeps throwing at you in this very thread!

But it for whatever reason you really, really want my answers, they are "no" and "I dunno, it's a design decision by CDPR, a decision I don't agree with"

Nordicus

He also appears in Skellige.
Washed ashore, a man took him in, then he drank all his booze and ploughed his wife. Classic Odrin.
Odrin, protagonist for next Witcher game, plz

I love that it made it into this game. I remembered very little of the story of the Witcher 2, but every time someone asked me about the game I'd respond with "Odrin, here boy, Ooooodriiiiiin!"

Can't wait to replay it.
Hehehe, oh yeah you can wait. Just a dozen hours in TW3 aged TW2 so rapidly for me when I went back for a moment. It was unpleasant, and I've played through Witcher 2 minimum 4 times, that's how much I used to like it

tuxfool

Banned
That's not really an argument. This is a videogame and its mechanics need to be compelling, not realistic.

I agree that the detective parts are a little lackluster and simplistic, since all you do is walk around until you see the red glow, but I can forgive them as they're mostly there to add some sort of flavor and isn't a very major mechanic.

It is sort of. Almost always doing something in real life is more complicated and involved than the equivalent game action. In this case they're pretty similar at least in execution of the action.

There are hunting games, which focus very much on this but even then it is tedious and not a lot of fun. You are correct that this isn't a mechanic that is supposed to be robust but merely there to add flavour.

Majukun

killed pretty much anyone at the witch hunter HQ

I know it will be some terrible consequences in the future,but it felt good.
.they said they would have come for me..i came for them first
:p

Reebot

It is sort of. Almost always doing something in real life is more complicated and involved than the equivalent game action. In this case they're pretty similar at least in execution of the action.

There are hunting games, which focus very much on this but even then it is tedious and not a lot of fun. You are correct that this isn't a mechanic that is supposed to be robust but merely there to add flavour.

Its a missed opportunity. At first it fleshes out the world and gives the illusion of tracking beasts through the wild. But the strings can be seen pretty quickly, and it goes from hunting a monster to following the developer's breadcrumbs. Not the worst thing ever, of course, but I do think it could have been expanded into a fun mechanic.

KHlover

Banned
Just when I thought I couldn't like Triss any more than I already do [Main Story]
She goes ahead and pulls a fucking Nico Robin. LMAO

Ok so about the ending:

That was disappointing. The bit with Zoltan, Dandelion and Triss was nice, and the Ciri bit was lovely and what the hell happened to everyone else? Brac has no closure, have no idea what happened to Yennefer or Ciri's elven friend. Uggggh so bad.

I feel like there should have been more, while the World State got some closure, I felt Geralt's friends and companions had none

My friend told me the game has a bug that prevents the player from getting XP from quests that are of a recommended level six levels under the player's. Is this true ?

tuxfool

Banned
Its a missed opportunity. At first it fleshes out the world and gives the illusion of tracking beasts through the wild. But the strings can be seen pretty quickly, and it goes from hunting a monster to following the developer's breadcrumbs. Not the worst thing ever, of course, but I do think it could have been expanded into a fun mechanic.

For sure, they could make it more difficult to follow tracks, lead to false trails, but then you ask yourself if most people would enjoy squinting for clues in a large area desperately looking for the next step in the hunt.

There are already clues that do not require witcher senses. In fact you can follow the clues without turning it on. AFAIK the only clue type that absolutely requires witcher senses is smell.

SDCowboy

Ok so about the ending:

That was disappointing. The bit with Zoltan, Dandelion and Triss was nice, and the Ciri bit was lovely and what the hell happened to everyone else? Brac has no closure, have no idea what happened to Yennefer or Ciri's elven friend. Uggggh so bad.

I feel like there should have been more, while the World State got some closure, I felt Geralt's friends and companions had none

The ending left a lot to be desired, for me personally. Was also hoping Geralt would end up retired in some cabin with yen.

Finally got to Novigrad. Been running around here for probably close to two hours talking to all the merchants, playing Gwent with everyone I can find etc. So amazing.

Ok so about the ending:

CDPR will be supporting the game for another two years... AKA DLC & Expansions

erawsd

My friend told me the game has a bug that prevents the player from getting XP from quests that are of a recommended level six levels under the player's. Is this true ?

I don't think thats a bug, I believe its intended that you gain little, if any, exp from quests you are too far above.

murgo

That's a design choice. If the level recommendation is grey, you don't get any XP.

The bug prevents you from getting any XP from main quests. It happened to me just now. Should've gotten 800XP; recommended lvl was 11 or 12, my Geralt is at 14 now.

foxtrot3d

Banned
0_0 what? how?

Happened in my playthrough as well, you can look up online the various choices that lead to the different endings. But, I'm guessing you either didn't have a love interest or tried to have both Triss and Yen.

Ok so about the ending:

I got the same ending and I agree to an extent, I wanted to know more about what happened to the Lodge. Plus, I really wanted to kill Phillipa Eilhart. But, at the end of the day the story is a personal one for Geralt and Ciri. We get a conclusion to both of their stories so everyone else doesn't really matter that much.

Sober

There were a few times you can follow some of the tracks because they're super obvious like huge footprints or blood stains on certain things (mostly sand) that are easy to track without witcher senses. But yeah I don't know how much they really want to put into the detective work. Granted, it's already better than the Arkham games attempt sometimes, only because you can occasionally stumble upon a scene and place clues together in a non-linear fashion (though the VO lines don't always line up, but still). Otherwise yeah, following footprint/scent trails isn't that great but that's mostly to get across the fact a witcher can sense them, others can't. Not sure if there's a better way without making that side of the game way more elaborate than it should be for little gain.

Any more work you'd have to actually go back to how the first two games did monster hunting and make the books from vendors and entries super explicit, and have actual guides you have to read instead of shorthand like "vulnerable to..." and "moves to look out for...". I think there's a decent balance of Geralt saying what details are pertinent (only comes out at dawn/dusk/etc, it's probably a X/Y/Z) and having some flavour text in the codex entry.

Chabbles

This game is pure quality. Around 20 hours playtime so far and the only thing really bugging me is, after having to turn down the sensitivity for the camera (PS4) because i found it way too fast at default. It makes the crossbow (while in iron sights) really slow to aim with. Separate sensitivity dials for each would be so sweet, the crossbow would become way more viable.

SDCowboy

Happened in my playthrough as well, you can look up online the various choices that lead to the different endings. But, I'm guessing you either didn't have a love interest or tried to have both Triss and Yen.

Hmm, don't think so. I did the deed with Yen, and that was it. Even rejected Triss. Who knows, though.

I don't think thats a bug, I believe its intended that you gain little, if any, exp from quests you are too far above.

It's not a bug.

That's a design choice. If the level recommendation is grey, you don't get any XP.

The bug prevents you from getting any XP from main quests. It happened to me just now. Should've gotten 800XP; recommended lvl was 11 or 12, my Geralt is at 14 now.

I see. Thanks. I'm relieved.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Hmm...my ending, if you care to know (obviously major spoilers)...

Geralt trained Ciri as a witcher and then just, apparently, went on doing what he was doing before. lol

Hmm, maybe you didn't listen closely enough? I think in that ending Geralt continues to Witcher and then eventually settles down with your LI. For me, Ciri became Empress and Geralt immediately after settled down with Yen for a nice and quiet life.

Renae

I have a question about Geralt. I'm at Velen, and I didn't find any answers to my question for now : In the
Keira Metz
quest I decided to stay faithful, but do you think Geralt is in love with Yennefer at the beginning of the game ?

Vamphuntr

I need to have Triss look at some magical items for two sidequests but she's not available SPOILER
I sent her to Kaer Mohren
. Can I ask Yennefer about the items?

How many people are actually experiencing the XP glitch? Wondering if I should just wait for the patch before playing more. Hopefully it'll be up soon.

I need to have Triss look at some magical items for two sidequests but she's not available SPOILER

If one of them is the item from Redania's Most Wanted then yes. Not sure about the other item.

Hystzen

My total time played has glitched out on ps4.

Yesterday I was at 1 day 14 hours after finally ending bloody baron questline

I think I nearly wrapped up Novigrad arc and decided that enough for today so checked timer and it now 1 hour and 3 seconds.

Speed run record incoming

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
My total time played has glitched out on ps4.

Yesterday I was at 1 day 14 hours after finally ending bloody baron questline

I think I nearly wrapped up Novigrad arc and decided that enough for today so checked timer and it now 1 hour and 3 seconds.

Speed run record incoming

Yeah, mine did too after the patch, I think. Knocked off like 24 hours

Not for the statuettes, but you will be able to ask Triss a lot later and not in
Kaer Mohren

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If one of them is the item from Redania's Most Wanted then yes. Not sure about the other item.

Later endgame-ish spoiler:

Even though I didn't want to, I went ahead and gave it to Radovid because I had already sent Triss on.

Then, I was scared it would burn me with Phillipa later, but it didn't.

Virdix

Yep, Gwent DLC is mentioned in the ini files.

I haven't checked it out, but the newest patch is supposed to make it so the other merchant in White Orchard sells the cards.
Thank you! Also thank you Ghostmaster. Appreciate the fast replies that is awesome to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom