• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Quotient

I finished the prologue and am now in velen. The map is huge and the enemies a lot more tougher. I died numerous times.

On a slightly frustrating note, it really is annoying you can not pause cut-scenes or that reloading your saving is not a fast process.

CloudWolf

I finished the prologue and am now in velen. The map is huge and the enemies a lot more tougher. I died numerous times.

On a slightly frustrating note, it really is annoying you can not pause cut-scenes or that reloading your saving is not a fast process.

If you're playing on PC you can at least alt-tab out of cutscenes to pause them, but yeah.

Quotient

If you're playing on PC you can at least alt-tab out of cutscenes to pause them, but yeah.

I have my PC also hooked up to my TV so i can game on the couch with a controller. I guess the best solution is to walk over to my desktop and alt-tab. You would think the developers would have put in a pause functionality, especially when the cut-scenes seem to be generated by the in-game engine.

Stoze

I've been mainlining the story, any recommended side quests or contracts? I'm not planning on doing a lot, but if there are some stand out ones that would be helpful.

I think the best side quests are ones that are practically part of the main quests in terms of when they are presented to you and what characters they involve. Here are my picks just going off a quick search and from what I remember. Definitely don't wanna miss em:

-In Velen, do Towerful of Mice and Return to Crookback Bog. Also you may want to try The Fall of the House of Reardon.
-In Novigrad, do Cabaret and A Deadly Plot. It may take some time before you can access those. Also do Following the Thread.
-In Skellige, do Possession, The Lord of Undvick, and The Last Wish.

A lot of those have major impacts on the plot/main quest and span multiple quests after you complete the first (you'll want to do those do). Frankly as someone who did all the quests, Iooking back I'm shocked these don't need to be done to complete the game. They're that good and comprehensive.

Weebos

Banned
I think the best side quests are ones that are practically part of the main quests in terms of when they are presented to you and what characters they involve. Here are my picks just going off a quick search and from what I remember. Definitely don't wanna miss em:

-In Velen, do Towerful of Mice and Return to Crookback Bog. Also you may want to try The Fall of the House of Reardon.
-In Novigrad, do Cabaret and A Deadly Plot. It may take some time before you can access those. Also do Following the Thread.
-In Skellige, do Possession, The Lord of Undvick, and The Last Wish.

A lot of those have major impacts on the plot/main quest and span multiple quests after you complete the first (you'll want to do those do). Frankly as someone who did all the quests, Iooking back I'm shocked these don't need to be done to complete the game. They're that good and comprehensive.

Thanks for the list, I was thinking of going back and doing the Velen ones you mentioned already.

Quotient

I understand it is an open-world-game and as such loading a saved-game requires getting the world in the right state but my lord is the loading times bad - especially when i have to hear vessimer repeating the same dialogue over and over again. I am playing on a PC with a SSD, it must just be agonizing on the consoles.

CloudWolf

I understand it is an open-world-game and as such loading a saved-game requires getting the world in the right state but my lord is the loading times bad - especially when i have to hear vessimer repeating the same dialogue over and over again. I am playing on a PC with a SSD, it must just be agonizing on the consoles.

That's not Vesimir, it's old Dandelion.

Anyway, I don't think the loading times are bad, the game gernally loads for me within 10 seconds.

Lender

Are you running a reshade?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Anyway, I don't think the loading times are bad, the game gernally loads for me within 10 seconds.

I actually wish mine would load slower sometimes on load game/load screen so I can get the lore tidbits and such, on SSD it runs so fast it's crazy eh.

In other news, just crossed the 200 hour mark and I'm only just getting into Novigrad in my NG+ DM adventure....so, so good.

Quotient

Listening again and you are right it is Dandelion. I'll make a note of how long it takes on my machine. Perhaps there is something wrong. My machine a 6700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX970 and 500GB Samsung PRO SSD.

Are you running a reshade?

I had to look up what reshade is and WOW that mod sure does make the game look even better. I may have to try once i finish my first play-through.

Just started playing recently. I'm absolutely loving it so far.

What's the best way of getting food and drink? Just buying it? Or can you "craft" it?

Eusis

Just started playing recently. I'm absolutely loving it so far.

What's the best way of getting food and drink? Just buying it? Or can you "craft" it?
Mugging people for chicken sandwiches.

If you take the skill to restore HP with any potion it will be a moot point though.

Coreda

Added a bit about quest-breaking / save-corrupting mod cautions in the OP under Known Bugs, since a couple users have experienced them.

this game has some glitchiness with new expansion. Sometimes when I save the game manually, monsters and bandits all of a sudden are LEVEL 1 and 1 shot killable.....

Quotient

As i mentioned before i noticed some long loading times on my PC (using SSD). It seems that loading time varies significantly if you load from a previous checkpoint or load from a manual save. Loading from checkpoint is under 10 seconds, loading from a manual save (what i do normally) takes 35 seconds.

Coreda

As i mentioned before i noticed some long loading times on my PC (using SSD). It seems that loading time varies significantly if you load from a previous checkpoint or load from a manual save. Loading from checkpoint is under 10 seconds, loading from a manual save (what i do normally) takes 35 seconds.

Is your gamesaves directory on an SSD as well? As by default it's saved to wherever you have the Documents directory, which for me is on a HDD. Haven't tried moving it to check if it makes a difference but worth noting.

Quotient

Is your gamesaves directory on an SSD as well? As by default it's saved to wherever you have the Documents directory, which for me is on a HDD. Haven't tried moving it to check if it makes a difference but worth noting.

I only have SSD drives on this computer. I wonder if the checkpoint saves are treated different than manual saves....I don't know.

Syntsui

OK, I think I encountered the first game breaking glitch.

From ofiers distant shores quest bugged and I don't find the diagram on the chest of the first bandit camp. I search the red chest and there are a lot of trash items and some oil, but no diagram.

I go to the other 2 camps and I find their diagrams but the quest arrow doesn't go away because I still have to get the diagram from the first camp, the problem is, I can't even open it anymore because I got all the items.

GAF please, what do I do?

this game has some glitchiness with new expansion. Sometimes when I save the game manually, monsters and bandits all of a sudden are LEVEL 1 and 1 shot killable.....

Yeah.... whenever I notice that happening, I try to leave the fight, quick save and then quick load. Usually fixes the problem.

Best I can do until we have a real fix.

OK, I think I encountered the first game breaking glitch.

From ofiers distant shores quest bugged and I don't find the diagram on the chest of the first bandit camp. I search the red chest and there are a lot of trash items and some oil, but no diagram.

I go to the other 2 camps and I find their diagrams but the quest arrow doesn't go away because I still have to get the diagram from the first camp, the problem is, I can't even open it anymore because I got all the items.

GAF please, what do I do?

Reload an old save.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
WitcherGAF, can you answer a question for me please?

Did time used to stand still in vanilla TW3 (when you open the wheel of signs etc) or did it used to move very very slowly?

I was sure TW3 had slow moving time when the action wheel was activated, but haven't played since finishing it on release; playing my NG+ now :)

Syntsui

Reload an old save.

That's the problem, in the old save the quest is already initiated. But here is the thing, it's from the very beginning of the quest, when I'm investigating the merchant's carriage, before I enter the hideout. Even if I start from this point, the quest is still bugged :(

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It was always a slow. I think there was even an ability that made it slower.

That's the thing though, now it stops time...?

When I hit left bumper my radial menu comes up but time is fully paused, has been all NG+... I thought it must have been patched in or something.

Edit: Found it, it was patched in a while ago as a feature when using the controller: can hold down the bumper for slow movement, or press to pause when picking a sign :)

Rymuth

Hi everyone, I plan to jump back into the Witcher but I need a little help please.

This will be my second playthrough (finished the game way back before the DLC came out)

1) What order should I do the DLC? Story--->HoS-->B&W---> End or do them post-game? I kept myself away from spoilers about the DLC as much as possible so I'd really like to do them in a way that's satisfying to the narrative.

2) Planning on turning off the minimap (thanks to superbunnyhop) - any other tips you could give? Anything pertaining to mutagens or signs would be lovely (I just poured all points into Aard last time)

I realize this coming across as very newbish but I finished the game on casual just to enjoy the story but I really want to do it *right* this time. Thanks for any answers.

That's the problem, in the old save the quest is already initiated. But here is the thing, it's from the very beginning of the quest, when I'm investigating the merchant's carriage, before I enter the hideout. Even if I start from this point, the quest is still bugged :(

Sounds like you're boned. There's a patch coming out today, maybe that helps.

Edit: Looks like you're in luck:
Fixes issue whereby diagrams required to progress in the "From Ofier's Distant Shores" quest
could not be looted from a chest.

1) What order should I do the DLC? Story--->HoS-->B&W---> End or do them post-game? I kept myself away from spoilers about the DLC as much as possible so I'd really like to do them in a way that's satisfying to the narrative.

Play the main game to completion, then HoS, then B&W.Canonically HoS takes place before the ending of the game, but level-wise and main story pacing-wise you should really play it afterwards.

Is there anyone using a lot of mods brave enough to update to the new patch and report on whether or not mods still work?

I'm tempted to just throw Steam in offline mode and wait a little while.

EDIT: Eh, I did it. Mods are fucked.

Takuan

I just started this up recently, and man...

kttcoliblessed

... what a fuckin' game! The writing! The music! The universe! GWENT!

The combat has grown on me a bit, but I'm still pretty sloppy. I have the side-stepping/rolling down and I've learned to spam less, but I'm still garbage at countering.

Last night I cleared all the question marks on the White Orchard map. Caught myself humming the battle music on the way to bed. All I want to do is play.

THIS. GAME.

Edit: How could I forget Gwent?!??

NotBacon

kttcoliblessed

The combat has grown on me a bit, but I'm still pretty sloppy. I have the side-stepping/rolling down and I've learned to spam less, but I'm still garbage at countering.

Last night I cleared all the question marks on the White Orchard map. Caught myself humming the battle music on the way to bed. All I want to do is play.

THIS. GAME.

Oh boy. You haven't even explored Velen yet, and you haven't even seen Novigrad or Skellige yet. Buckle up.

Justinian

kttcoliblessed

THIS. GAME.

Haha you've just finished the tutorial. You ain't seen nothing yet.

kttcoliblessed

THIS. GAME.

Jumping on this train. You're in for one of the greatest gaming experiences of your life.

cackhyena

Yep. Just finished the main quest. I think I got one of the better endings. I know more about Blood and Wine than I do Hearts of Stone. Can't wait to dig in and see what's in store.

Smokey

So...

After the update, I don't see the option to make bombs anymore? I'm at a certain quest and I need a certain bomb to make it easier, yet I don't see a section to craft or make them anymore? Do I have to get a blue print first or something?

So...

After the update, I don't see the option to make bombs anymore? I'm at a certain quest and I need a certain bomb to make it easier, yet I don't see a section to craft or make them anymore? Do I have to get a blue print first or something?
In the Witcher 3, once you've crafted a bomb or potion once, you never have to craft it again. If you meditate (for an hour or longer, doesn't matter) then you'll use any strong alcohol in your inventory to replenish all of your bombs and potions.

Zeus7

I have a query about the uodate on this game.

I put the game into my PS4 for the first time last night and it was installing the 19GB update. I eventually just skipped this so I could play the game and decided I would download the update today instead.

I've just woke up but i forgot to download the update before I went to sleep last night so I expected it to be just the base game installed still. It now says 1.20 is installed, it must have done this overnight, but the size of that uodate is only 2GB+. The total size of the Witcher 3 is 47.84GB on my storage.

How do I go back and install the rest of the 19GB update, it's not giving me the option when I put the disk in again?

Smokey

In the Witcher 3, once you've crafted a bomb or potion once, you never have to craft it again. If you meditate (for an hour or longer, doesn't matter) then you'll use any strong alcohol in your inventory to replenish all of your bombs and potions.

Right, I got that. But I want to make a certain bomb that the Beastiary says is useful against an enemy. Do they work similar to other items where you have to find the schematic first?

SeanR1221

After playing 17 hours last year and getting side tracked and never returning I turned it on yesterday.

It all came back really quickly. I'm still a little shakey on combat but I'll get better.

I think I'll focus on the main quest and only do question marks if they're on my path.

MadYarpen

After playing 17 hours last year and getting side tracked and never returning I turned it on yesterday.

It all came back really quickly. I'm still a little shakey on combat but I'll get better.

I think I'll focus on the main quest and only do question marks if they're on my path.

That's the way they are meant to be done. To make your exploration more interesting. It's even better if you turn question marks off on your map. You may miss some of them, but it is more natural. Instead of "oh there is question mark gotta do it" you think "that rock looks weird, wonder if there is something interesting there". And usually there is. Or "I want to go to this hill/building etc".

Make sure you do sidequests which branch from the main story line.

Mediking

YouTube just spoiled a potential ending for Witcher 3. I already suspected it was a potential ending but screw this! I haven't finished the game yet but dang!

Top Bottom