• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

ebevan91

I just noticed the "Pin" feature for crafting/shopping. It's really handy especially since the items you need have a bright yellow outline around them in the list of shop items.

Much easier than "Ok let's go craft some gauntlets... ok here they are, but I need this, let's see if I can craft that material that I need.. wait what was it again? Oh fuck I forgot what item I was trying to craft. OK there it is, nope, don't have the materials for that. Let's go check the shop. Shit, what items did I need again? Oh yeah. Those. Now let's go craft that item. What was I crafting again?"

Branson

How much longer do I have if I'm about to do
the battle after getting the sunstone or whatever? There is a quest with Dikstra that failed so I'm gonna do that first.
?

is Polish considered Germanic? because i was wondering if the mythos in The Witcher 3 come from strictly Polish mythology or is it a mixture with Germanic, Norse mythologies as well

is Polish considered Germanic? because i was wondering if the mythos in The Witcher 3 come from strictly Polish mythology or is it a mixture with Germanic, Norse mythologies as well

Probably more Slavic but given it's location I'm sure there is a lot of overlap with Germany and Sweden.

NeoGiff

It also uses the Irish language as an inspiration for the elven lore and some elements of Skellige.

Words are literally spelled and mean the same things as their counterparts in Irish, which makes it especially jarring when the characters pronounce them incorrectly!

For example, "An Craite" (pronounced "on kra-cha" as opposed to the game's pronunciation) means "The Shaker". And "Dol Blathann" means The Hill of Flowers. The Irish for this phrase would be "Dol Bláthanna" (pronounced "dol blaw-hanna").

Edit: Oh, and I forgot the most obvious thing. The Skellig Isles (spelled like that) are off the west coast of Ireland. Characters in the game from Skellige all have Northern Irish accents. "Ard" is the Irish word for tall/big. So Ard Skellig is "Big Skellig".

Yea, I was surprised when I read the first book how much of the Skelligers language was basically just Irish. Maybe there's some Welsh thrown in there too.

Haunted

i just looked something up...interested to find out

that the "Wild Hunt" is actually an ancient germanic folklore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt#Origins

pretty cool, although i dont know in the folklore, are they portrayed as "evil" does anyone know if they could answer this

the concept was created by Jacob Grimm in 1835
Never heard of this before, the German article is a goddamn, unsourced mess. There seems to be little actual academic work in that article, impossible to say how much of that is correct and where it's from.

I can see Sapkowski taking his inspiration from one of the versions of this mythos, though, properly researched or not. :D

edit: to answer your question (even though it's taken from that article without much credible sourcing), it states that the Wild Hunt isn't hostile to humans per se, but that people were advised to stay away, stay indoors and don't laugh at or mock the hunt directly or it could have bad consequences. The article makes no mention of a moral judgement about the procession.

RedSwirl

When I download the DLC from GOG now the exes have slightly different names, like one number up. The last number is now 34 instead of 33. Is there any kind of difference?

Started the game a little while ago, one thing I don't understand is the hammer sign near some weapons/equipment. Like -1, -2 and this red hammer. It's not the durability, so what is it?
Also, I always find myself short of money, where can I get some?

Started the game a little while ago, one thing I don't understand is the hammer sign near some weapons/equipment. Like -1, -2 and this red hammer. It's not the durability, so what is it?
Also, I always find myself short of money, where can I get some?

The red hammer means the item is damaged enough that stats are now being affected (indicated by the number). You should repair the item.

Morts

Fuck this Black Pearl sidequest the quest giver keeps fucking dying this is the worst game ever and I hate it.

Also, greyed-out sidequests are stressing me out.

Great game.

ebevan91

Fuck this Black Pearl sidequest the quest giver keeps fucking dying this is the worst game ever and I hate it.

Great game.

I did almost nothing but greyed-out side quests the past 2 days. It sucks. What was CDPR thinking putting level 11-14 quests in Skellige when most people are 19-20 by the time they get there?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I started a new playthrough on Deathmarch. It's painfully obvious how much I hate dodging and parrying. I struggle so much with the timing. Nevertheless, I haven't died all that much because I play extra cautious.

Really really hate the cheap deaths though.

I guess I'd better get used to them.

Lexxism

Great game.
Lol. I just had that quest a little while ago. I said f*ck it. I let him die and stop trying anymore.

BFIB

So I started a new playthrough on Deathmarch. It's painfully obvious how much I hate dodging and parrying. I struggle so much with the timing. Nevertheless, I haven't died all that much because I play extra cautious.

Really really hate the cheap deaths though.

I guess I'd better get used to them.
I want to do this, but I'm going to be terrible.

Man this game makes you have some serious choices. I'm so used to games at least giving you a hint at what to choose but this serious gives you nothing to know what the out come will be until you choose.

I'm still wondering when they are going to fix the bug at the Shrine abandoned site on White Orchard.. My OCD wants to 100% that area so bad

zkorejo

I want to end all the side quests before ending the main quest. All side quests are done except for Skellige's most wanted because its glitched (werewolf is glitched he doesnt die and just stands there when his health goes down).I have two questions:

1. Have they said if/when they will patch this?

2. Does new contracts/sidemissions open up after the story completion? (No spoilers please)

Venture

Since Stashes were introduced I've also been keeping and buying back the interesting swords I found. D'yaebl is probably the most unique in the collection. Anyone else have swords they prefer over the Witcher gear?
I never use the Witcher swords anymore even when they're a bit more powerful. Too plain. My favorites so far are probably the Cleaver Hood.

CleaverHood01.jpg
CleaverHood02.jpg

And the Moonblade for silver.

Moonblade01.jpg
Moonblade02.jpg

The swords and armor in this game are amazing but I'm not liking the whole level requirement thing. I wish you could just upgrade the equipment you really like.

The way to cheat around the Black Pearl quest is to go get the black pearl before you talk to him on the beach so you already have the pearl and fight the drowners.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a question. On my second playthrough things arent going quite as a remember it and I just wanted clarification if I am remembering correctly. It involves the Baron in Velen.

In my current playthrough I was able to go and see the Baron. The guards opened the gate upon my request.

However, I seem to recall in my first playthrough the gate wouldnt open and I had to find a hidden entrance that would take into the barons mansion.

Or am I thinking of something else?

Corum

I have a question. On my second playthrough things arent going quite as a remember it and I just wanted clarification if I am remembering correctly. It involves the Baron in Velen.

In my current playthrough I was able to go and see the Baron. The guards opened the gate upon my request.

However, I seem to recall in my first playthrough the gate wouldnt open and I had to find a hidden entrance that would take into the barons mansion.

I also had the gates blocked for me but I killed the Baron's men in the first inn you arrive at in Velen - perhaps you didn't and so they let you through?

oddjobs

Depends how you handle the encounter at the crossroads inn - if you kill the baron's guys, the gatekeeper won't let you in. if you didn't, you can Axii/bribe him (IIRC)

mitchman

Gold Member
The way to cheat around the Black Pearl quest is to go get the black pearl before you talk to him on the beach so you already have the pearl and fight the drowners.

I've never had the guy be killed in both of my playthroughs, but I keep seeing some people with this issue. Do you return to shore after finding the perl or keep on swimming around? Both times he's been fighting them, but never been even in low health.

tauke

I've never had the guy be killed in both of my playthroughs, but I keep seeing some people with this issue. Do you return to shore after finding the perl or keep on swimming around? Both times he's been fighting them, but never been even in low health.

I was playing on Blood and Broken Bones and got shocked the moment I saw the guy health bar appear as I swam towards to shore.

Luckily he's alive after I chopped the drowners to pieces but they should maybe buff his HP more to prevent accidental death after retrieving the black pearl.

fawaz

Banned
So I am not in the loop when it comes to the online community of this game, but I did play it and enjoyed it a lot. Is there talk of a sequel and when should I expect one? The ending felt kinda happily-ever-aftery, so I am prepared if this is it.

So I am not in the loop when it comes to the online community of this game, but I did play it and enjoyed it a lot. Is there talk of a sequel and when should I expect one? The ending felt kinda happily-ever-aftery, so I am prepared if this is it.

No word of a sequel but there are two expansions coming. The developers' next game is going to be Cyberpunk 2077.

They've said it's the end of Geralts story so a potential sequel will be something different but as said above Cyberpunk 2077 is the next thing from CDPR.

Coreda

Encountered the little surprise from the Where the Cat and Wolf Play quest after coming back to the village later :)

I never use the Witcher swords anymore even when they're a bit more powerful. Too plain. My favorites so far are probably the Cleaver Hood.

CleaverHood01.jpg

And the Moonblade for silver.

Nice ones. Didn't know Cleaver Hood had a half sheath when I sold it, may buy it back.

And finally found a nice matching horse that responded to Axii. "Liberated" from a bandit. Coincidentally it happens to be the same looking horse Yennefer rides
when galloping to the tower
at the end, and amusingly current saves are called 'Spooked Mare' from the previous sidequest.

When the mod kit finally arrives I'm hoping for a mod that allows you to permenantly change Roach to any horse you can Axii, ideally with a mechanism that returns them to an accessible stable/trough when switched. I've found the the horse will stay put when fast travelling if you leave it near food so I keep it outside the Chameleon when going to Skellige.

Coreda

Don't leave us hanging... :)

The orphaned girl you saved and helped support with a little coin (optional) is waiting at the notice board, and if you speak to her she gives you a gift of a drawing she made of you and her together, saying her mother used to tell her she should reward those who help her. It's a touching little moment.

There's also an article on Playboy about the origins of Gwent. A dev had this to say about the possibility of a standalone Gwent game:

"We think that Gwent is a fun part of the world, but it’s exactly because it’s a part of it,“ Jaki said. "We are getting a huge amount of emails to just port it to iPad or PC as a stand alone, but it would not work without major changes. When you do quests inside The Witcher 3, you can encounter different decks, but in a player-versus-player (PVP) environment it would have to be far more fine-tuned. When you play real people they can come up with things that we as designers didn’t think of."

Ah, so that's the trick. Damn. I already deleted my save file before talking to him.
It's being fixed properly in the next patch supposedly:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Marcin360/status/627056955018903553

The orphaned girl you saved and helped support with a little coin (optional) is waiting at the notice board, and if you speak to her she gives you a gift of a drawing she made of you and her together, saying her mother used to tell her she should reward those who help her. It's a touching little moment.
Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out. Cheers :)

Patch 1.08 Notes

PERFORMANCE:
Overall improvements to performance, including some issues that may have been caused by 1.07.

UI:
[Japanese Only][PS4 Only] Fixes an issue where the background text of certain books would flicker.
Fixes an issue where part of the Kaer Morhen map would not display properly.

GAMEPLAY:
Fixes a rare issue where items would disappear from the stash.
Fixes a very rare issue which would cause Geralt to get stuck when trying to run.
The interaction pop-up will no longer appear on lootable objects that are empty.
Fixes an occasional glitch in one of the dwarf combat animations.
Heads chopped off during finishers will no longer disappear.
"Players can perform a roll just before landing to significantly reduce the damage caused by falling.
We've added a tutorial pop-up window explaining this to make it clearer."
In patch 1.07, the level requirements for certain items were scaled up, leaving some players stuck with only unusable gear. With patch 1.08, we are introducing the Wolven Hour potion. This potion will be available in everyone's inventory once they install the patch. It will reduce level requirements on all gear for a period of one hour. This will give players time to level up or find alternative equipment using the gear that was available to them in patch 1.05 but became unusable after patch 1.07. After one hour, the potion's effects will cease and the requirements for all gear will revert to their original, pre-potion values.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to compare their items with ones sold by merchants.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
Players will now be able to complete the Card Collector achievement.
Achievements are now working properly again and will be unlocked if players meet their requirements after installing this patch (PC version).

GRAPHICS:
Fixes an issue where interiors would sometimes not display properly on the minimap.
Fixes an issue where certain world elements would sometimes be missing and noticeable visual glitches would be present while in Novigrad.

QUEST:
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "It Takes Three to Tango" quest, even though they had obtained wine at the Kingfisher.
Fixes an issue where Geralt would sometimes die after traveling to Velen in the quest "Something Ends, Something Begins."
The entrance to the area where the Sunstone is obtained will no longer be blocked off if the player exits it prematurely during "The Sunstone" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to complete the "Get Junior" quest on certain occasions.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear" quest due to a closed gate.
Fixes an issue where some players were unable to investigate rooms during the "Family Matters" quest, effectively blocking their progression.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Hey, You Wanna Look at my Stuff?" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "An Eye for an Eye" quest.
Fixes an issue where Roche would stay at his camp instead of going to the Oxenfurt Bridge in the "Get Junior" quest.
Fixes an issue where, under certain circumstances, Yennefer would not appear in Oxenfurt during the "The Great Escape" quest.
Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.
Fixes an issue which led to an infinite loading screen during the "To Bait a Forktail..." quest under certain circumstances.
Fixes a rare issue where the basement was locked during the "King's Gambit" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to free the merchant during the Person in Distress event in the Claywich area.
The trolls at the Circle of Elements will no longer attack Geralt if he opts for a peaceful resolution.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "Brothers in Arms" quest.
Fixes an issue where Zoltan's card was unobtainable.

GENERAL:
Preparatory features paving the way for the introduction of New Game + in the future.

Sai

Oh, fixes a lot of the issues I brought up. Nothing about Reason of State though.

... Hope nothing else gets broken. :p

Top Bottom