• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PS4 framerate test after latest patch

Loudninja

The latest patch for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was made available a few hours ago and it finally allows the PS4 version to run a lot more smoothly in the swamps. Check out our new GSY Tech video to see how much of an improvement it is. It may have taken 5 months for the developers to find a way to fix the issue, but at least now we won't have to capture any more footage in the swamps and that's awesome news. Good work CD Projekt!
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_witcher_3_now_running_smoother-17191_en.html

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2peHnn4NFg

Lingitiz

Cool that they finally got it. Any updates on the sluggish menus or long load times?

He doesn't throw any bombs in the vid. Is that confirmed to be fixed? It would dip in the low 20's anytime you threw one, worse even with cluster bombs.

Waiting for a price cut has its perks I suppose. Nice to know that by the time I play this game it'll be running more smoothly than it was all those months after release. I'm not a stickler when it comes to frame rate, but consistent chugging does grind my gears.

Jolkien

Glad they finally fixed it for the people playing on that platform. Just in time for the expansion. Can't wait !

Was this an issue with the PS4 version or did the XB1 also suffer in this area??

PS4 was having a lot more issues than Xbox One in that area

Glad they finally fixed it for the people playing on that platform. Just in time for the expansion. Can't wait !

PS4 was having a lot more issues than Xbox One in that area

It would lock to 20fps, making everything extremely sluggish and impossible to play.

RyudBoy

I wonder what the frame rate would be like if he actually turned around and faced more than 1 monster instead of just running past them all. Still though, noticeable improvement.

omonimo

Banned
I wonder what the frame rate would be like if he actually turned around and faced more than 1 monster instead of just running past them all. Still though, noticeable improvement.
It wasn't the number of enemies who caused such issue if I remember correctly. When rain it was a painful shit to walk around even without nothing.

Fbh

Finally.
Game is great but the framerate has been pretty annoying on ps4.

Guess they finally disabled the double buffer?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I knew it wasn't placebo!
Here's a PS4 capture I uploaded with multiple monsters, rain and a shit ton of explosions. Total worst case scenario and it remains playable.

Warning for character names in a late game quest on the right side of the screen. I didn't notice until after I uploaded.
https://youtu.be/EX2U_eNCPeY

BeeDog

I hope for an in-depth DF report on this. Particularly curious to see if any graphical cutbacks had to be done in order to achieve this, or if it's simply a matter of pure optimization.

Javin98

Banned
Finally, glad it seems like CDP delivered what they promised after several patches claiming to do so. It's still not a locked 30FPS at the swamps, but it's a massive improvement over locked 20FPS. I'll wait for DF and NXGamer to confirm that it's solid all over the place in the swamps and not just this video.

Gurish

Even just running there without enemies caused issues, fighting enemies wasn't the problem, fps wasn't worse because of that.

Gurish

I knew it wasn't placebo!

Here's a PS4 capture I uploaded with multiple monsters, rain and a shit ton of explosions. Total worst case scenario and it remains playable.

Warning for character names in a late game quest on the right side of the screen. I didn't notice until after I uploaded.
https://youtu.be/EX2U_eNCPeY
This video is the best indicator possible, fighting in the swams and you did shit ton of "taxing" stuff and it runs smoothly, well done!

Pif

Banned
What about Novigrad ?

It was a very problematic area also, at least on PS4.

This update might get me back on the Witcher.

Vashetti

Banned
Menu sluggish is the lingering issue for me

Really annoying given how long you spend in it

If they can improve the swamps performance, then the menus should be even easier. I had a quick browse of the map and it seemed a bit better, but still too slow.

From 20 fps hard lock to 29.15 average framerate in the swamps is a nice improvement.
That's what I like to hear!
cat_fingersnap.gif

tbd

It's barely a Witcher 3 test or general Witcher 3 issues at this point. "Bogs with specific weather condition framerate test" would be more fitting. Seems like people are obsessed with this area. An area I probably spent like 5 hours on when I played the game for almost 200 hours now. It's an ugly, boring area. And I bet most people meditate for a few hours when the weather is lousy anyway.

Nonetheless, glad they finally kinda got it. Great job. Wind effects that even bend trees, dense grass with collision detection, rain and water everywhere, particles, several enemies. It's just meant to be a FPS hell.

valkyre

I also noticed that in novigrad NPCs finally load their textures much faster and generally asset streaming seems better now

Freeman76

On PS4 I'm really happy with the patch, I can finally play the game without constantly wondering how they could release it in such a shit state.

Hystzen

On PS4 I'm really happy with the patch, I can finally play the game without constantly wondering how they could release it in such a shit state.

Easy they have never coded for Sony console before everybody knows the 360 and PC are similar which why they found it easier.

It also the smoothest Witcher launch yet and the game was massive so it nowhere disaster made it out be. I was more bugged by that pit in Velen near Oxenfurt swamps where you can't get out

omonimo

Banned
It's barely a Witcher 3 test or general Witcher 3 issues at this point. "Bogs with specific weather condition framerate test" would be more fitting. Seems like people are obsessed with this area. An area I probably spent like 5 hours on when I played the game for almost 200 hours now. It's an ugly, boring area. And I bet most people meditate for a few hours when the weather is lousy anyway.

Nonetheless, glad they finally kinda got it. Great job. Wind effects that even bend trees, dense grass with collision detection, rain and water everywhere, particles, several enemies. It's just meant to be a FPS hell.
Engine when extremely stressed on ps4 suffered of 20 fps locked issue. It wasn't just this area.

Fbh

So were applauding companies taking nearly half a year to get their games sorted out now?

I see people having happy reactions to a framerate improvement on an otherwise great game.
I don't see many people applauding CDPR for fixing it this late.

To focus on the positive aspect of this seems more plesant than a 5 pages thread of people shitting on CDPR....but mabye that's just me

Angel_DvA

So were applauding companies taking nearly half a year to get their games sorted out now?

Well Witcher 3 is a great game and a GOTY contender, I played it on PC so I had a blast at 60FPS but my brother was really annoyed with his PS4 version, they could have fixed it before releasing the game but they were probably busy getting the game out as fast as possible.

Veezy

que?

It appears what's being applauded is an business organization recognizing that a product they released, that while playable has flaws in it, is still making the best steps it can to address said flaws.

This, during a time in which the vast majority of consumers of digital products and interactive media don't see to really care what a business does and defend business when they make non-consumer friendly decisions and during a time in which the distributors and creators of these products don't really seem to care about the state the launch in and refuse to take steps to address problem issues.

Would it be optimal if every game ever released came out in pristine condition and any issue that is found was address within 15 minutes. Certainly. However, would I prefer a company who didn't get it right the first time to try over and over again to address the issue as opposed to just saying "fuck it, we've already made our bank". You betcha.

People are allowed to be pissed about how long it took, but if they finally fixed the issue, then that's a really positive thing.

EDIT:

I see people having happy reactions to a framerate improvement on an otherwise great game.
I don't see many people applauding CDPR for fixing it this late.

To focus on the positive aspect of this seems more plesant than a 5 pages thread of people shitting on CDPR....but mabye that's just me

From my understanding, what motivates game developers more than anything is threatening their family with death. I didn't really see that enough with CDPR, I mean some thankfully or otherwise this would have never happened, however I'm sure that the low volume of death threats contributed to them taking so long to fix the issue.

See, developers are always sitting on the fix. It takes, in every circumstance, literally a few minutes to fix any problem no matter how large a game or how technical the issue. Death threats let them know we know. Really, it's our own fault for the delay.

viHuGi

Banned
Swamps now almost 30fps so it means that the rest of the game should be a 30fps LOCKED since that was the area with issues.

Great Job.

I could be wrong, but Novigrad really stutters in some places and i doubt it was this bad before. Talking about Xbox One by the way.

thelastword

Banned
I would not call this smooth, it's still 26-27fps for most of the video, it's an improvement over the 20fps lock, but I'm not sure that praising Cd Project Red for this is warranted. The game should never have been in that position in the first place. Ideally, what they should have been working on post release is to smooth out these 26-28fps dips in the swamps going by this new video.

There is still no talk of improvements to textures, shadows, loading times, below low presets etc...I don't think CDPR deserves any praise whatsoever for this console effort.

gai_shain

I would not call this smooth, it's still 26-27fps for most of the video, it's an improvement over the 20fps lock, but I'm not sure that praising Cd Project Red for this is warranted. The game should never have been in that position in the first place. Ideally the what they should have been working on post release is to smooth out these 26-28fps dips in the swamps going by this new video.

There is still no talk of improvements to textures, shadows, loading times, below low presets etc...I don't think CDPR deserves any praise whatsoever for this console effort.

Im not quite sure what you are saying with that? Theres only so much power they are working with on the consoles so stuff like that might not be possible. Or is this stuff possible on the xbox one and it just isnt on the ps4?

I would not call this smooth, it's still 26-27fps for most of the video, it's an improvement over the 20fps lock, but I'm not sure that praising Cd Project Red for this is warranted. The game should never have been in that position in the first place. Ideally the what they should have been working on post release is to smooth out these 26-28fps dips in the swamps going by this new video.

Hahaha.
Oh wait...you were serious?

I would not call this smooth, it's still 26-27fps for most of the video, it's an improvement over the 20fps lock, but I'm not sure that praising Cd Project Red for this is warranted. The game should never have been in that position in the first place. Ideally, what they should have been working on post release is to smooth out these 26-28fps dips in the swamps going by this new video.

Lol its averaged 29fps In one of the most taxing areas with weather effects and enemies it's a night and day differnce.

thelastword

Banned
Im not quite sure what you are saying with that? Theres only so much power they are working with on the consoles so stuff like that might not be possible. Or is this stuff possible on the xbox one and it just isnt on the ps4?
It's possible, these effects which you highlighted are all GPU related and weaker GPU's on the PC was able to manage them at higher presets......

Going in and fixing something is always much harder than doing it right the first time, so I don't think there's much to expect from CDPR going forward for this game. This game was just badly developed from inception on console hardware,..... so it's all about CyberPunk now, where we will see if they have learnt from this.

Javin98

Banned
I also noticed that in novigrad NPCs finally load their textures much faster and generally asset streaming seems better now
This is great to hear. Another thing CDP delivered that they promised. This seems to be the best patch yet.

God, the way you whine about CDP is almost as if they killed your dog or something. If you aren't aware, this patch is also supposed to fix the water ripples and shaders that NXGamer claimed were missing. So, there goes that "below low presets" crap. Yes, textures should be on Ultra since even 2GB cards can do it, but cut them some slack, will ya? This is CDP's first game on PlayStation. Did you expect magic out of them or something?

Top Bottom