• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots)

Nabbis

The lighting and textures look bad. Im somewhat underwhelmed with how it makes everything look very generic. Hopefully mods are able to fix some of it.

DOWN

Banned
Because using baked GI you can't have dynamic time of day, only static.

Doesn't that depend on how many baked lighting settings you have? Were last gen day/night cycles dynamic? Like in previous AC games?

Unity has at the very least some good effects to mimic passing clouds and slight changes in the tone of colors so that it looks like slow time passing.

MaLDo

Doesn't that depend on how many baked lighting settings you have? Were last gen day/night cycles dynamic? Like in previous AC games?

Unity has at the very least some good effects to mimic passing clouds and slight changes in the tone of colors so that it looks like slow time passing.

Unity needs 50 GB of data to store a very few discrete static baked times of day. Do the math.

Alej

Banned
I think i have already been spoiled by some nextgen looking games like InFamous, Ryse, Drive club or Killzone... It looks great but it won't be the new king on consoles for sure (maybe on PC thanks to aggressive IQ and frame rate).

Looks really on-par with DA:I, a crossgen game.

Edit: Ignore this post if they are going for a cartoon-y look.

AXE

People called it. And in a million threads before.

This doesn't look like the game that initially got everyone excited. There have been pretty good definitions on how especially the people look like in these new shots we've gotten. "Rubbery" is a good description. "Flat" is another. I mostly just feel that everything we've seen post-downgradeaton has lacked the thing I liked most about the first promo materials: the feelng and weight of "life" and "living". I really wanted to go into that world and do nothing. Just stand on a hilltop and take in the scenery. A lot like I did in Red Dead Redemption. The feeling of being there.

"Best graphics yet" feels downright comical in this context.

DOWN

Banned
Unity needs 50 GB of data to store a very few discrete static baked times of day. Do the math.

As of right now, I'd take the jump in lighting visuals Unity gets over the decreasing appeal of W3's dynamic cycle for sure.

And I recall them saying about half of the 50GB console discs are for lighting data, not all 50GB. Just because it is large, doesn't mean it is bad. Clearly, many in here consider Unity the best looking game release yet and with effects like fog, rain, color shifts, and cloud shadow imitations, the city and game don't feel like they are stuck in a static lighting situation like Assassin's Creed 1 when there were no cycles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I have a feeling that (on consoles at least), Unity will look better.

This looks artistically great, but I'm not really blown away by it.
Yeah, real high bar there:

10443213_1510694732515417_1890013701721400630_o.jpg

Witcher 3 has the opposite problem here, where there is too much high frequency noise in the image. They should use more aggressive clamping on their sharpening shader.

Nictel

makes me wish I had a decent PC.

real pc gaming is running games at the lowest settings and barely getting 30fps - been gaming like that for over decade now lol

Don't forget switching off as many background processes as possible for that 3 extra frames!

The shots are nice though they sometimes seem a bit 'cartoony'. I first thought it was just me but I see others in this thread say the same. I know that they are not but it feels that way somehow. Perhaps it's the textures or the filter used. It doesn't really matter that much for me personally. More excited about the story and gameplay.

It has a very flat, unappealing look to me. The geometry and lighting especially seems quite drab. Definitely not the graphical powerhouse many were hoping it to be.

Tankshell

The biggest disappointment for me is the repeated ground textures in the middle distance. Also the LOD on the middle-far distance trees is terrible! Why am I expected to be excited to travel to that area in the distance when it looks like a few wafer-thin twigs rather than a thick lush forest...?

I thought new gen games might have solved this middle/far distance LOD problem that has plagued games for years now, but apparently not.

Still excited for the game though when all is said and done.

Lord Phol

It looks good no doubt, but I can't say that I'm really amazed. Of course that could change when I actually play the game since that's a whole other thing, but still not sure I want to. Witcher 2 was a cool game but not very fun to play IMO.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, real high bar there:

10443213_1510694732515417_1890013701721400630_o.jpg

Witcher 3 has the opposite problem here, where there is too much high frequency noise in the image. They should use more aggressive clamping on their sharpening shader.
What I find funny is that AC Unity had a lot of negative impressions about its graphics and #downgrade shit and everything before release with screenshots and footage and all, yet after it came out, and after the performance talk died down a bit, we heard more and more about how amazing it actually looked, even on console.

Interested to see if same happens with TW3.

Shredderi

It sure looks good but it used to look downright stunning. I'm excited for other reasons than graphics but I used to be excited about those as well. Throw me in the "cartoony lighting" crowd too. I look at the old screenshots and then these and the colors are somehow more saturated which lends to the cartoony look. I don't like cartoony in a witcher game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What I find funny is that AC Unity had a lot of negative impressions about its graphics and #downgrade shit and everything before release with screenshots and footage and all, yet after it came out, and after the performance talk died down a bit, we heard more and more about how amazing it actually looked, even on console.

Interested to see if same happens with TW3.
If we're talking about impressive graphics I think the PC port of Unity is the only version worth mentioning.

The Witcher 3 is a mystery to me. They have released much better screenshots in the past.

Maybe I've been spoiled by other games, but I'm not overly impressed with those screenshots to be honest. It doesn't help that any game with a musty medieval setting spattered with the usual earthly green and brown tones generally doesn't look good to me either.

Kezen

Banned
If we're talking about impressive graphics I think the PC port of Unity is the only version worth mentioning.
I have played the game extensively on PC and PS4 I concur. Stunning looking game on PC (which does not mean it looks like trash on consoles of course), and tessellation has yet to be added.

The Witcher 3 is a mystery to me. They have released much better screenshots in the past.
And better footage as well. Remember the VGX 2013 trailer ? Or this one ?

Those hookers look too clean imo, I was under the impression that even hookers weren't that clean in the middle ages... not sure if I can deal with that!

Seanspeed

Banned

Ok, I'd like to maybe throw a time bomb at people here who keep thinking this game used to be far more impressive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605541

This was our first look at some direct screenshots. What did they look like?

Yet read the impressions. People were seriously impressed by it.

Do these new shots look worse? Not at all. Quite the opposite. Yet now people are saying its not as impressive as it used to be. I think what people really mean is "My standards are higher now so I'm not as impressed as I remember being in the past."

I suppose some people might have preferred the more muted color palette from before, but I like the newer, more saturated look. Just personal preference there, though.

DOWN

Banned
Ok, I'd like to maybe throw a time bomb at people here who keep thinking this game used to be far more impressive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605541

This was our first look at some direct screenshots. What did they look like?

Yet read the impressions. People were seriously impressed by it.

Do these new shots look worse? Not at all. Quite the opposite. Yet now people are saying its not as impressive as it used to be. I think what people really mean is "My standards are higher now so I'm not as impressed as I remember being in the past."

I suppose some people might have preferred the more muted color palette from before, but I like the newer, more saturated look. Just personal preference there, though.
Both standards have been upped and I think it looks better in those screens overall. There's a greater depth to the contrast and overall lighting. It has a stronger sense of texture and clarity. It really does look flatter now.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't see how this game is close to being a similar scenario. A big part of crysis infamy is due being PC only, and then to running as intended on a reduced group of them at launch. If anything the Order 1886 is at higher risk of it. People are only talking about graphics here because Dennis made them do so with the title.

Hmm, that gave me an idea: How much processing power did that game's dev save by using the "but cinematic"-excuse, 800p vs 1080p, about a quarter to a third? CD Projekt should do the same; put in black bars, make the game linear and QTE driven thus save power to make it look "OMG sol filmic, so amazing"!

DOWN

Banned
Hmm, that gave me an idea: How much processing power did that game's dev save by using the "but cinematic"-excuse, 800p vs 1080p, about a quarter to a third? CD Projekt should do the same; put in black bars, make the game linear and QTE driven thus save power to make it look "OMG sol filmic, so amazing"!
I really like the aspect ratio of The Order. I prefer it for movies and loved that Beyond used itin a game, so I was glad another PS exclusive was doing it. I hate seeing it called an excuse when there's a whole thread about that ratio and how to get it on GAF.

And most people seem to be comparing to Unity, which is an open world game that has a huge amount of playable space when you consider the interiors and verticality.

valkyre

At least of any open-world game.

Mods can lock if these new screenshots didn't warrant a new thread.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-seems-downright-bucolic-not-necessarily.png

Looks great, but that pic in particular seems to have way too low draw in distance for the grass. Also some ugly LOD.

Looks good though and it seems to be running as maxed as it can possibly get. The IQ is way too clean.

elyetis

It's good looking and all, but couldn't we stop having flat paved ground in our games in 2015 ? between parallax mapping and tesslation it shouldn't exist at the highest setting.

Seanspeed

Banned
Both standards have been upped and I think it looks better in those screens overall. There's a greater depth to the contrast and overall lighting. It has a stronger sense of texture and clarity. It really does look flatter now.
Really? More clarity? Greater depth to contrast? You sure you aren't just thinking 'darker because Geralt is under some trees?'? Cuz I'm not seeing what you're saying at all. There's so much improved here:

UrbanRats

In-game? Or touched up?

PC downsampled, i'm thinking.
So technically legit.
-

Looks amazing and it's nice to see a medieval game use actual colors for clothing (you know, like it was in reality) rather than go for the "everyone wears brown and black leather" Hollywood style.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game looks pretty damn great for an open world and don't understand why people think it looks bar average when we've seen how nice the game looks in motion from previous stuff.

The footage later is going to be damn impressive.

iJudged

Banned
Looks amazing no doubt, but way too many times games have been downgraded, I will believe it when I see it.

DOWN

Banned
Really? More clarity? Greater depth to contrast? You sure you aren't just thinking 'darker because Geralt is under some trees?'? Cuz I'm not seeing what you're saying at all. There's so much improved here:

He's under trees in both. The shadows and sunlight clearly have greater contrast in the older image. Look at the difference between the shadow and sunlight on the building tops.

The shadows on the grass to his right seems more precise in the old one like sun is hitting part of it clearly, whereas the new one has mild gradients of darkness nearer the ground fading to lighter.

That new shot just looks flatter. It's like the black and shadow levels are way lower. The points of shadow and light on the NPCs is less distinct now too. The new woman's upper body is overall looking softly and more universally lit, vs the mans stronger visible light angles.

bj00rn_

Banned
I really like the aspect ratio of The Order. I prefer it for movies and loved that Beyond used itin a game, so I was glad another PS exclusive was doing it. I hate seeing it called an excuse when there's a whole thread about that ratio and how to get it on GAF.

If it wasn't an excuse it would be an option.

DOWN

Banned
If it wasn't an excuse, it would be an option.
Nope. First and formost it isn't an option in movies. Secondly, composing a camera shot can't be done too well if you have to do it twice to accommodate a second ratio option. Third, that's a waste of resources. If they both like the ratio and it saves them power, they should do both. You can't just add or remove bars without considering the composition and what will be cut off or well-framed. And you certainly can choose a ratio and make the best of it. Theres nothing wrong with there being power benefits to that ratio. That's how I'd make my games.

They'd be stupid if they wanted cinema ratio, but to show bj00rn it wasn't an excuse, they'll just be running black bars over a 1080p image. If yo want it to look like a movie, just get rid of the excess pixels.

Seanspeed

Banned
He's under trees in both. The shadows and sunlight clearly have greater contrast in the older image. Look at the difference between the shadow and sunlight on the building tops.

The shadows on the grass to his right seems more precise in the old one like sun is hitting part of it clearly, whereas the new one has mild gradients of darkness nearer the ground fading to lighter.

That new shot just looks flatter. It's like the black and shadow levels are way lower. The points of shadow and light on the NPCs is less distinct now too. The new woman's upper body is overall looking softly and more universally lit, vs the mans stronger visible light angles.
It still seems like you're thinking 'more shadows in this particular image = more contrast'. I'm pretty sure the new shot has a fair bit more actual contrast overall. Not to mention all the other super obvious improvements.

DOWN

Banned
It still seems like you're thinking 'more shadows in this particular image = more contrast'. I'm pretty sure the new shot has a fair bit more actual contrast overall. Not to mention all the other super obvious improvements.
I think it's likely art decisions overall that are the difference, so I'm not denying that there are improved aspects in the new image, but I think the second image just looks better. I think whatever it does specifically different creates a stronger image with more presence to the light source.

And why are the shadows seemingly so week, reduced, or non-distinct in the new shots? I'm not the only one here who said it looks flatter. It's one of the most common complaints in this thread.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
GTA V is likely to have much more impressive pedestrians and a much deeper world. ACU looks alot better then this aswell. The Witcher 3 doesn't even use PBR. The lighting doesn't look great nor does the environment, it just looks average.
In the gameplay we've seen we've already seen much more impressive npc behavior ad animation than GTAV. This game looks a shit ton better in motion, and for some reason I'm pretty sure those are console screenshots.

Top Bottom