• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 XP bug is getting fixed but not until next week

see5harp

From what I understand the bug was in the game prior to the patch. Its affecting all platforms

Which is why that dude's "blame the console manufacturers" is even more hilarious. The game was literally released in this state. Certification process can be quicker (and it is based on comparisons to last gen) but this shit isn't even an issue if CDP fixed the bug before release.

cametall

I can't say I've noticed if I haven't been awarded XP or not. I just hit level 13 and just got to Novigrad because I've been doing tons of side quests in Velen. So maybe I am supposed to be a higher level. I will say it feels like my leveling was very slow throughout level 12.

As a side note, I took on a level 18 Cyclops at level 12 and found him easy-peasy. Same for the earth elementals I've come across. If I have trouble fighting them it's because they whittle my sword durability faster it feels like.

Haunted

were the previous games relatively bug free and polished? i only played 360 witcher 2 which was relatively bug free but by that time it had been out for a while on pc and probably had more time in the oven.
Witcher 3 at launch is far more polished than either of the previous two games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can't say I've noticed if I haven't been awarded XP or not. I just hit level 13 and just got to Novigrad because I've been doing tons of side quests in Velen. So maybe I am supposed to be a higher level. I will say it feels like my leveling was very slow throughout level 12.

As a side note, I took on a level 18 Cyclops at level 12 and found him easy-peasy. Same for the earth elementals I've come across. If I have trouble fighting them it's because they whittle my sword durability faster it feels like.

about where i am. level 13 and did all of the quests available where i was near the suggested level

well then.

cametall

about where i am. level 13 and did all of the quests available where i was near the suggested level

OK cool. So if I have been affected it hasn't been by much. Maybe I will play this weekend then.

I remember not being able to play TW1 stable until it's Enhanced Edition release. For TW2 I couldn't say because my PC wasn't so hot when it came out. But the EE version was smooth as butter.

jett

D-Member
This is acceptable as long as they don't patch both money making exploits.

The money exploits are useless anyway. You don't really need money in this game. I have 20k lawfully acquired crowns and most of my spending goes to dismantling and repairing shit.

Daffy Duck

Damn I was going to spend many hours on this at the weekend, I don't want to miss any XP so I guess I'll just wait until it's patched.

Bummer.

d9b

Banned
So how does one actually know if they have the bug?
It's been answered few times in the thread already. If you are doing quest (green in colour) that is your level or close to it (up or down) and you don't get any XP once you finish it.... you're infected. Call for help, start freaking out, play Gwent or wait for the patch. ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got it myself after being fine last night. :(

Gonna explore question marks in the mean time.
EDIT: Maybe not. Got 100 xp but it just didn't say it on screen after the quest.

mileS

It's certainly bringing to light how fucking terrible it is they make us wait up to a full week for these console patches to be certified. I understand they don't want people's patches to brick systems or screw with the firmware and what not but come the fuck on. There's no excuse for it to take a full week.

BouncyFrag

Damn I was going to spend many hours on this at the weekend, I don't want to miss any XP so I guess I'll just wait until it's patched.

Bummer.
Same here. I can handle the stuttering every now and then but this...
1rgaL4Q.gif

Do all story missions give experience? I just did the first few story mission in Novigrad and I noticed they didn't give me experience, but they were also pretty short and there wasn't much to them, so I figured maybe they just didn't give experience.

This sucks, I just finished clearing out every single side mission that wasn't way over my level before heading to Novigrad so I don't really have anything to fall back on, and I really don't want to stop playing for a week. Unless I'm going to screw myself out of ever hitting max level or something like that I'll probably just keep going.

Branson

Guess it's not all bad. Have Cities and Project Cars to keep me busy this weekend I guess. Really wanted to dig into it this weekend a lot though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's certainly bringing to light how fucking terrible it is they make us wait up to a full week for these console patches to be certified. I understand they don't want people's patches to brick systems or screw with the firmware and what not but come the fuck on. There's no excuse for it to take a full week.
Occasionally stuff will get sped up through cert due to being a major issue. Let's hope this is one of them.

itxaka

Defeatist
Im way over leveled for the main missions due to doing side quests. That + a couple of the witched treasure missions makes usre that your are way over the main mission levels. Also not affecting me.

It seems that if you only do main missions and a few side ones and you are affected with this bug, you may be having a hard time to progress correctly. Solution: Make more side missions. Seriously, they are really good. Do them.

They sure look like they are trying too hard to lose the good will they have with gamers.

Indeed. How they dare to have bugs in their huge open world rpg! This is like the first time this atrocity happens! Why didnt they make a perfect game!

Come on. If only, the speed of the patches coming in shows that they support the game post release much better than any other company (cough Bethesda cough) by fixing stuff as fast as possible.

Chabbles

I gained 2 levels doing all side quests and one main mission yesterday, in maybe 3 to 4 hours. Wasn't paying attention to the XP though, so dont know if the main quest paid out or not. But the leveling has seemed consistent over the last few days with the new patch... will keep an eye on it now though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tweeted a couple of the Playstation guys about seeing if there's any way this patch could get through cert faster since it's a major issue. We'll see if that helps at all.

ev0

Seeing some people say they are overleveling way too fast makes me think I got hit with it.

I'm OCD about exploring everything and doing all side quests. And I've been having a hard time keeping up with the suggested level for the main story missions.
I had no more missions in my range and did one a few levels higher and got no XP and did find that weird...oy.

Reading this thread, I'm really surprised how much people care about a trivial amount of XP loss. There are about a billion quests to do; the game's not going to suddenly become difficult if you miss out on 1/10 of a level from turning in a quest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reading this thread, I'm really surprised how much people care about a trivial amount of XP loss. There are about a billion quests to do; the game's not going to suddenly become difficult if you miss out on 1/10 of a level from turning in a quest.
It's a big deal for the main quests since that's where most of your XP comes from.

It depends where you are in the game though. I just cleared a bunch of side stuff and I was planning to move onto the story. Now I don't have any side stuff that isn't red.

Are we sure that the loss is trivial? I really don't want to stop playing but I'm worried I'll end up in a situation where it'll be either impossible or really tedious to get to the max level. I don't want to end the game at 29 or whatever and know that I would've hit 30 without this bug.

What? I've played the game for 20-25 hours and I am only level 12

I have played the game on xbone for about 8 hours and am still level 3. I have been a couple hundred XP from 4 since I left the White Orchard area. I just assumed that the game was designed to be a slower leveling game.

I am also only on 1.01 so I have no idea if I could be impacted by this or not but I am pretty sure I have completed missions without getting a big XP notification.

Just did a mission, I took a look at my XP before and after. I got XP after doing a main story mission. Guessing this only affects a certain (well alot) amount of people?

It depends where you are in the game though. I just cleared a bunch of side stuff and I was planning to move onto the story. Now I don't have any side stuff that isn't red.

Are we sure that the loss is trivial? I really don't want to stop playing but I'm worried I'll end up in a situation where it'll be either impossible or really tedious to get to the max level. I don't want to end the game at 29 or whatever and know that I would've hit 30 without this bug.

Most side content doesn't give a ton of XP. Unless you did like 20+ quests which would be enough to gain 2 or 3 levels, your lack of quests is probably just stemming from a lack of exploration.

Anyway, the level cap is 70. From what I understand, story content stops at ~level 30, so you won't be hitting the cap without a huge amount of grinding.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just did a mission, I took a look at my XP before and after. I got XP after doing a main story mission. Guessing this only affects a certain (well alot) amount of people?
Keep an eye on it. I was fine last night, left the game suspended, and the glitch still hit me today.

Eyothrie

Wish there was a way to roll back to 1.01 on ps4 so I can play this weekend. All my saves are version 1.01. just waiting...

murgo

Marcin posted another statement:

One more thing regarding this issue. It doesn't affect every quest but only some of them. That's how we know the experience loss is not that big in total numbers.

It will be fixed however. We are also looking into the possibility of gaining the missing XP retro-actively by the players. Can't promise anything here though.

Top Bottom