• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3's budget was $32 million (120M Zloty) plus $35 million in marketing

Well, you're correct regarding me.

... I just thought the marketing being the higher budget was funny.

That seems to be happening with more frequency.

Maybe not in the case of stuff by EA or Ubisoft though since the amount of people that are working on some of those games is so high that paying wages will trump the marketing budget, I would think.

Well, you're correct regarding me.

... I just thought the marketing being the higher budget was funny.

I mean the development cost is primarily spent in Poland, where talent is cheap.

The advertising costs were spent worldwide, with a big portion going towards America, where stuff is expensive.

Banned
I remember reading some article that devs usually get 15-20% cuts on each game sold. Sometimes the publisher just pays for the games development and keeps all the sales for themselves. If the former is true, then CPR probably got $36 million on day one. But I believe most publishing contracts are the latter.

Coxswain

Impossible all AAA games cost 100 million and all budgets have tripled. /s
The sarcasm seems a little misplaced. Even if you ignore what the difference in cost-of-living is between Poland and most other video-game-developing countries, that's a $67m budget. In the early years of the last console generation, $20m was the figure you saw thrown around a lot as a 'really high' budget for anything short of a juggernaut superfranchise.

codhand

WLdHtzUl.jpg

perfect. lmao

wolfhowwl

Banned
The range of comments in this thread is pretty amusing...

For the scale/detail of the world they built, that's a tiny budget in today's AAA market. Wish their development cycle would be published so other developers who make AAA games could figure out ways to spend more efficiently and not have obscene market expectations.

The solution here is obvious: aggressively move your workforce out of high cost countries like the United States.

GAF normally doesn't react well to publishers pushing layoffs and studio closures but I think this time people will be understanding that sacrifices have to be made for the sake of more affordable budgets.

The average household income in Poland is $20,000.

The average household income in the US is $50,000.

You can pay someone doing the same labor in Poland vastly less than you have to if you're making your game in the US.

This lowers development cost significantly.

I'll take that for companies like EA which are based in the US, but I don't think it applies for companies like UBISOFT or SquareEnix. I still believe that the main reason for out of control budgets are that the upper management are overpaid. (By upper management I mean execs.)
That and a bit of over staffing, do they really need 300+ development teams? That's already 10.5 mil just for an average salary of $35,000 over the course of a year. Granted not every dev team is 300+ strong. But it begins to put things into perspective. If you have dev teams with 300+ employes and a bunch execs making $150-200,000 a year, the numbers can only go up once marketing budgets are added.

ciddative

I wonder how much of their budget was subsidized by the polish government, as this is probably a major cultural export for them.

Polished how? This was probably one of the most content dense, well written, well acted best looking wrpg's I've ever ever seen. And this is coming from someone whose opinion of the genre is very poor

Content =/= polish. The writing, performances and design were top notch, but it could definitely have done with more time in the oven

cerulily

Content =/= polish. The writing, performances and design were top notch, but it could definitely have done with more time in the oven

How so? If you're merely talking about graphics and console performance, I don't think that's enough to say it's less polished than other wrpg's.

The substantiveness of the content is arguably just as, if not more important thank dropping a few frames, especially given how fantastic CDPR is at post-release support for their titles. Console API issues will get ironed out. Having bad writing and insubstantial side-quests will not.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can we talk about the fact that Sony still has parts of the old trailer mixed with new trailer footage as their psn trailer of the game?

That is kind of horrendous actually. Didnt want to make a thread about it.

noshten

I can't believe all the people in here shaming western AAA budgets while ignoring that the game was made in fucking POLAND.

Everything in Poland is 60-80% cheaper than the US.

Do you know how many studios like Ubisoft have offices in Ukraine, Bulgaria etc?

In this thread a lot people don't know how wages \ rent etc etc in different countries effect budget total when converted to US currency .

ciddative

How so? If you're merely talking about graphics and console performance, I don't think that's enough to say it's less polished than other wrpg's.

The substantiveness of the content is arguably just as, if not more important thank dropping a few frames, especially given how fantastic CDPR is at post-release support for their titles. Console API issues will get ironed out. Having bad writing and insubstantial side-quests will not.

I would personnally include optimisation in a product's 'polish', but appreciate it is a sliding scale. Release dates are subject to more concerns than just 'when it's done'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was much less polsihed than current genre contemporaries

Also didn't say polish > content, both important, and CDPR have a history of exemplary post-release support.

Edit: the game's technical issues amounted to more than just performance of course, but was perfectly playable and enjoyable for me

Quotient

The average household income in Poland is $20,000.

The average household income in the US is $50,000.

You can pay someone doing the same labor in Poland vastly less than you have to if you're making your game in the US.

This lowers development cost significantly.

We really need the average salary of a junior, mid and senior software engineer in Poland compared to the various major cities in the US - SF, NY, Boston, Austin, etc.

A friend of mine who is 1 year out of college is getting close to 90k in Boston.

Though having said that, I would still assume that the average engineers salary in Poland is probably much lower than the US.

I also wonder if CD Projekt Red is able to hold onto their employees after the success of the Witcher 3, i am sure many US studios would be more than happy to arrange work visas to get in the US.

HeelPower

Don't understand why people think its low?

67 million is probably astronomically high in relation to polish economy,where CDPR is located.

This game was incredibly risky and expensive for CDPR.Luckily,it paid off.

That's hugely expensive for Poland, but a polish dev where I work was telling me software debs get paid the equivalent of doctors there, but that's still 2k a month tops.

If this is wrong, let me know just relaying what I've heard. this guy is an experienced dev too, not a grad.

eFKac

Holy shit, this might have been the most expensive digital entertaintment related project done here 0_o

misho8723

Banned
Remember that the marketing budget was (mostly) paid by investors, Microsoft, etc.

P.S. info from 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586441

"TW3 will cost at least 110 000 000 PLN (34 000 000 USD), out of that 40 000 000 PLN is for production and is paid by CDPR, and marketing budget (25 000 000 USD) will be paid by distributors and publishers in advance and deduced from the copies they sell."

Marketing expenditure incurred by our distributors will not be our costs, but will be deducted from revenues due to us from the sale of the game - says Adam Kicinski.

HeelPower

Holy shit, this might have been the most expensive digital entertaintment related project done here 0_o

Its insane.

It doesn't matter what EA or rockstar spends on their games.

In the context of CDPR,this is very much a destiny-level project.

I'm not surprised by the marketing. The Witcher is not a globally recognized property, this is the 3rd game in the series , it is primarily a PC series until now and while the budget isn't breaking records, it is still a large budget even today. Maybe not compared to what they've created, an enormous open world RPG but still high. The game needed marketing desperately to get the word out, especially on these new platforms.

Skinpop

That's amazing how they were able to craft such a high amount of quality content on such a budget. It really begs the question, what the fuck are other developers doing?
well,
Well, that'll happen with low salaries and insane crunch periods: http://www.glassdoor.co.in/Reviews/CD-Projekt-RED-Reviews-E644250.htm

"inhumane crunch going on for years".
finding out about this, gotta say I'm not ok with supporting cdproject. was planning on buying w3, but these things matter to me.

Axial

What? No, lol.
The average wage as of january 2015 is 3942,78pln brutto, that makes around 2800pln without taxes. Keep in mind that this is average wage, unfortunately the majority of Poles earn way less than that because the minimum wage is 1750pln brutto.

As for IT and tech related jobs, the average is ofcourse way higher, but still not as high as for other EU countries. I've read comments on CDPR's goldenline profile aswell as Polish socialmedia sites that the average wage at their studio leaves a bit to be desired, the bare minimum is supposed to be 3800pln without taxes(obviously it differs alot based on length of employment, position, experience, etc.). Way back in 2013 the Polish gamedev community published an infographic based on data from 339 developers in Poland, the average wage back then was 4458pln netto:
http://i.imgur.com/mwok9UJ.png
*edit*
here's their Goldenline profile and what a handful of former and current employees wrote about working there:
http://www.goldenline.pl/firma/cd-projekt-red/opinie

Seanspeed

Banned
$35million in marketing and none of it influenced my purchase. peer reviews, past games, and gameplay clips did
Good for you. But there's a whole nother world out there outside GAF that doesn't follow gaming as closely as we do. These are the people that will make up the bulk of the potential sales, and who big marketing budgets are *justifiably* spent on targeting.

Honestly, if you can afford to spend money to market your game, you should always do it.

simplayer

I'll take that for companies like EA which are based in the US, but I don't think it applies for companies like UBISOFT or SquareEnix. I still believe that the main reason for out of control budgets are that the upper management are overpaid. (By upper management I mean execs.)
That and a bit of over staffing, do they really need 300+ development teams? That's already 10.5 mil just for an average salary of $35,000 over the course of a year. Granted not every dev team is 300+ strong. But it begins to put things into perspective. If you have dev teams with 300+ employes and a bunch execs making $150-200,000 a year, the numbers can only go up once marketing budgets are added.

The regular staff contribute a larger portion to the budget than the handful of execs.

Let's taking The Witcher 3 as an example.

If they were employed in the US (where the average wage for the industry is ~80K), with the amount of staff they have (~300), employee wages alone would cost 24 million a year.

Now let's say there are 10 execs making 200K (the high end of your expectation). That only amounts to 2 million a year.

And the wage of the employee isn't the only cost to the employer. Staff has various benefits, medical insurance and additional employer taxes for employing someone.

People are expensive.

Top Bottom