• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 is getting a development boost

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
the-witcher-4-cover-1536x898.jpg

CDPR is moving a huge chunk of the dev team working on Phantom Liberty to The Witcher 4 after the expansion comes out on September 26. President and CEO Adam Kiciński announced the studio's plan to shift the development team as part of the company's most recent earnings call. The development team for The Witcher 4 codenamed Polaris is already around 250 and an even bigger team is working on Phantom Liberty.

"After releasing Phantom Liberty we'll transfer a big part of the team to Polaris," Kiciński said. "Some remaining members will then focus on supporting other ongoing projects like Orion or Hadar but bear in mind we'll also be supporting Phantom Liberty for some time."

He adds, "And across the company but including Phantom Liberty, we're at the same time parting ways with some team members. It's a gradual process which will end in Q1 next year."

DavidGzz

It might be, but so far i haven't seen any UE5 game that truly impressed me.

Besides Remnant 2, which is a lower budget game, which ones are out? It's not like CD Project excels with game engines. I think Lords of The Fallen has the best visuals of any Souls-like so far. Black Myth Wukong also looks crazy good. I'm ok with them focusing on gameplay/art and story over another Cyberpunk debacle.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I still don't understand why they are switching to Unreal engine.

But I can't wait for the next installment.

However, I'd much rather get my remake/reimagining of the first game.

They themselves said that it was hard to develop on Red Engine (wrt cyberpunk). They need to develop faster with less cost and Unreal Engine fit the bill.
makes sense to me.

CGNoire

On one hand there using UE5 now. :)

...on the other hand this time the game is being developed by devs in the states......yikes!!

amigastar

Besides Remnant 2, which is a lower budget game, which ones are out? It's not like CD Project excels with game engines. I think Lords of The Fallen has the best visuals of any Souls-like so far. Black Myth Wukong also looks crazy good. I'm ok with them focusing on gameplay/art and story over another Cyberpunk debacle.
Yes, not many games released with UE5 so far. I'm curious how good the game will look with UE5.

He's kinda right. Aside from witcher 3 which was a descent looking ps4 game. Then cyberpunk which was a shit show on release on consoles.
If their engine is shit, what do you think about other devs then? Literally pushing the most impressive tech currently available on PC. (pathtracing in AAA game)

Their QA failures or ease of development are a discussion of their own, but it's an amazing fucking engine.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
If their engine is shit, what do you think about other devs then? Literally pushing the most impressive tech currently available on PC. (pathtracing in AAA game)

Their QA failures or ease of development are a discussion of their own, but it's an amazing fucking engine.
I was talking about consoles.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Ease of Development, huge support behind it, and finding Unreal Developers is really easy vs. Finding developers who will work on an inhouse engine, Switching to Unreal was a very positive move from CDPR and also remember a company like CDPR will get a fully customized version of Unreal and Epic will support them every step of the way since they will end up making a lot of money of Witcher 4 too.

Having given up hope for modern mainstream gaming, Im actually curious how they can hilariously ruin this franchise. Might have to make a bingo sheet.

Mhmmm 2077

But I can't wait for the next installment.

However, I'd much rather get my remake/reimagining of the first game.
Because people often change jobs in the industry and it makes no sense to hire people who have to learn the new engine, everyone basically knows UE.

Dazraell

Witcher is made in Poland. US team is doing sequel to Cyberpunk.
Technically there is one US team developing The Witcher project, but it's not for Witcher 4. The Molasses Flood are from Boston and are working on Sirius project, which is supposed to be spin-off

Dazraell

If they replace Gerald with the girl I'll pass on witcher 4.
The rumors says it'll be a new witcher from the Lynx school, so neither Geralt nor Ciri

There is also a game with Geralt in development, a remake of the first Witcher game. It's supposed to share the same tech as Witcher 4 and release after it

zeldaring

Banned
The rumors says it'll be a new witcher from the Lynx school, so neither Geralt nor Ciri

There is also a game with Geralt in development, a remake of the first Witcher game. It's supposed to share the same tech as Witcher 4 and release after it
That's good to hear cause geralt was one of the best protagonist ever.

Red5

I think a Multiplayer spin off where it's basically Monster Hunter style Witcher game would definitely work, team up with other Witchers from other schools, track down monsters, set up traps and slay them, compete to finish contracts before other Witchers do, that sort of thing.

Dazraell

Damn, didn't know this. I'll be lowering my expectations in that case.
Based on what they revealed so far in their earnings reports, Witcher 4 is developed primarily in Poland, same as The Witcher Remake which is developed in a Polish studio Fool's Theory

They have two US-based studios and they're spearheading different projects. One is working on Cyberpunk sequel, while the other is working on The Witcher spin-off

I think a Multiplayer spin off where it's basically Monster Hunter style Witcher game would definitely work, team up with other Witchers from other schools, track down monsters, set up traps and slay them, compete to finish contracts before other Witchers do, that sort of thing.
This is only rumor so take it with grain of salt, but apparently the spin-off in development at The Molasses Flood studio was / is a multiplayer Monster Hunter-like game

What's inherently wrong about it being developed in states?
The Witcher 3 is an Eastern European game that draws on Eastern European folklore, tone, and cultural history. None of those things jive with US corporate culture or its artistic output.

Last edited:

timothet

The Witcher 3 is an Eastern European game that draws on Eastern European folklore, tone, and cultural history. None of those things jive with US corporate culture or its artistic output.
CDPR has been multinational team for quite some time(I don't have current data, but at the end of 2019 21% of CDPR workforce was foreign). Add to that the fact that some people will be moving to USA studio from Poland(for example Paweł Sasko, current Quest Director). Besides that, USA studio will be working on Cyberpunk sequel, so if anything, it will help.

Cyberpunkd

(I don't have current data, but at the end of 2019 21% of CDPR workforce was foreign).
Remove everyone involved with GOG, and everyone that is Eastern European, but not Polish. That number will be way lower.

It will be a shame this becomes Westernized but it already happened with W3, W2 and especially W1 had a very different spin on things.

timothet

Remove everyone involved with GOG, and everyone that is Eastern European, but not Polish. That number will be way lower.
Do you have any data to support that? I'm curious.
It will be a shame this becomes Westernized but it already happened with W3, W2 and especially W1 had a very different spin on things.
And again, USA studio will be working on Cyberpunk games. Witcher games will still be produced in Poland.

Top Bottom