• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 is getting a development boost

Exentryk

That's good. Witcher 3 is the best game ever made. So really hyped for Witcher 4.

Their lip sync tech is pretty great, so I hope they can bring that across from Red Engine to Unreal in some way. And hopefully moving to Unreal doesn't make them go back in any of the features that Witcher 3 already had.

Red5

cant wait for black women witchers , trans witchers , non binary witchers

Those kinda already exist in the lore

From Zerrikania.

Last edited:

timothet

Activists have infiltrated game dev here.
As long as management will stay the same, I don't see valid reason to worry about that. Seems like a lot of "decision makers" will move from Poland to USA to help building studio from the ground.

Their lip sync tech is pretty great, so I hope they can bring that across from Red Engine to Unreal in some way. And hopefully moving to Unreal doesn't make them go back in any of the features that Witcher 3 already had.
For lip sync in CP2077 they licensed third-party software called Jali. Implementing it into UE shouldn't be that much harder that RedEngine.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Id rather them work on Cyberpunk.
Why? I mean I want a sequel, but the Witcher is their cash cow so they should be supporting that franchise to ensure they can work on more Cyberpunks. They should be able to work on both franchises, shifting the heavy lifting back and forth as the games mature.

Exentryk

As long as management will stay the same, I don't see valid reason to worry about that. Seems like a lot of "decision makers" will move from Poland to USA to help building studio from the ground.

For lip sync in CP2077 they licensed third-party software called Jali. Implementing it into UE shouldn't be that much harder that RedEngine.
Do you know if they also used Jali in TW3? Regardless, if they can use Jali and bring that across easily then that's awesome. Thanks for the info.

Tsaki

If they replace Gerald with the girl I'll pass on witcher 4.
No Geralt, nor Ciri, you should be almost 100% certain at that. Entirely new cast of characters. Maybe we'll get some surprises here and there and maybe lore to accommodate the previous games. That is if the game is set after W3. Maybe it will be set before Witcher 1 or even before the books.
In any way, the writers at CDPR have a lot of work to do creating new characters.

samoilaaa

Those kinda already exist in the lore

From Zerrikania.
thats fan fiction ffs , we are talking about actual lore

timothet

Do you know if they also used Jali in TW3? Regardless, if they can use Jali and bring that across easily then that's awesome. Thanks for the info.
They used in-house solution in TW3.
Zerrikania is not fan fiction. In books Geralt met two Zerrikanian warrior women. IIRC their skin color is never mentioned, but Zerrikania is supossed to be hot, desert country and people just assume that their skin is at least a little bit darker.

Red5

Ah I got something confused here.

School of Manticore which has dark skinned Zerrikanian Witchers is official gameverse canon, introduced by CDPR, but not Female witchers, that part is fan fiction.

Mozzarella

Man such a shame, a disappointment, we get this instead of VTMB2, if CDPR just wisen up and try to take that IP, i dont think its far from their reach but they are stupid imho, i just dont understand maybe they tried to go for it, but until i know then i will call them out.
Witcher 4, what is there to make? the series is done, you are basically building on it, it will be safe and generic, especially after Cyberpunk launch, and after their move from Red engine, Witcher 4 is going to be bland, generic, safe and uninspired. Witcher 1 remake should be more interesting, since there is context, you just improve upon it, W4, you have to create new stuff, the chance of it hitting the jackpot is low.
VTMB2 is a promising game, its an IP rich with new content, heights and ways to do quests and RPG mechanics, it can introduce CDPR to new options which they should be capable of handling and even improving, it highlights their talents more.
Just ditch the open world meme, they have talented level designers, great art team, great composer, great writing team, they improved a bit with gameplay, after all VTMB gameplay is not that good, so mix that all up and you have a new soulful fresh game, it will be a big hit!
But what do i know, im just a pleb, im sure Adam badowski or whatever is a 5head individual. Yeah Witcher 4 instead, ubisoft open world, cutscenes and cinematics, copy souls combat so the souls fanboys can shut up about Witcher combat, do pointless open world fluff so Rockstar fanboys shut up about it, do some generic fantasy story and collect the bucks. great strategy! now we leave VTMB2 in the hands of amateur developer who couldnt even make a decent follow up to freaking Amnesia!! great insight!

Last edited:
Man such a shame, a disappointment, we get this instead of VTMB2, if CDPR just wisen up and try to take that IP, i dont think its far from their reach but they are stupid imho, i just dont understand maybe they tried to go for it, but until i know then i will call them out.
Witcher 4, what is there to make? the series is done, you are basically building on it, it will be safe and generic, especially after Cyberpunk launch, and after their move from Red engine, Witcher 4 is going to be bland, generic, safe and uninspired. Witcher 1 remake should be more interesting, since there is context, you just improve upon it, W4, you have to create new stuff, the chance of it hitting the jackpot is low.
VTMB2 is a promising game, its an IP rich with new content, heights and ways to do quests and RPG mechanics, it can introduce CDPR to new options which they should be capable of handling and even improving, it highlights their talents more.
Just ditch the open world meme, they have talented level designers, great art team, great composer, great writing team, they improved a bit with gameplay, after all VTMB gameplay is not that good, so mix that all up and you have a new soulful fresh game, it will be a big hit!
But what do i know, im just a pleb, im sure Adam badowski or whatever is a 5head individual. Yeah Witcher 4 instead, ubisoft open world, cutscenes and cinematics, copy souls combat so the souls fanboys can shut up about Witcher combat, do pointless open world fluff so Rockstar fanboys shut up about it, do some generic fantasy story and collect the bucks. great strategy! now we leave VTMB2 in the hands of amateur developer who couldnt even make a decent follow up to freaking Amnesia!! great insight!
I hope you’re wrong but I fear you’ll be proved right…

Sentenza

This is only rumor so take it with grain of salt, but apparently the spin-off in development at The Molasses Flood studio was / is a multiplayer Monster Hunter-like game
Wasn’t this confirmed to be a canceled project sometime ago?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah because Phantom Liberty is about to come out so it makes sense they will shift people to their next major game.

We just got news that TES VI is in "early development" now that Starfield is out so they will be moving people over to Elder Scrolls and many more once the Starfield expansion comes out. The developers that work on the game don't really keep working on it once a game comes out there will be a team of developers for patches.
Aren't they also remaking TW1? Which is happening first?
They are but they said it's not coming any time soon. Your guess is as good as mine!

Shubh_C63

I still don't understand why they are switching to Unreal engine.
I think we all know.
Easier development time, can easily hire new people with already knowledge of the engine, can outsource things based on that, minimal training required compared to in-house stuff. Better post game support, faster bug fixing etc etc.

Con being your game might look like every other game graphically.

No Geralt, nor Ciri, you should be almost 100% certain at that. Entirely new cast of characters. Maybe we'll get some surprises here and there and maybe lore to accommodate the previous games. That is if the game is set after W3. Maybe it will be set before Witcher 1 or even before the books.
In any way, the writers at CDPR have a lot of work to do creating new characters.
If its not Geralt (and it absolutely should be) then let me make my own Witcher. Do NOT make me play Ciri. I would pass. Don't make the same mistake Netflix made.

Dazraell

If its not Geralt (and it absolutely should be) then let me make my own Witcher. Do NOT make me play Ciri. I would pass. Don't make the same mistake Netflix made.
When CDPR announced a new game they posted this artwork. It suggests this will be a story of a completely new witcher, most probably from Lynx school. At least this is what is a consensus based on the shape of this medallion as it's definitely not the same one as cat school has

Btw. I absolutely despise what Netflix is doing with the series and how inconsistent it is with novels, but larger focus on Ciri is something that also happens in books. After the events of Time of Contempt, Ciri also takes the larger focus in the story and basically becomes a second main character

the-witcher-4-lynx-medallion.jpg

oji-san

Banned
I wonder how it will go.. the story in TW3 is pretty much done, i don't know the books so i have no idea what they might bring but i'm super excited to see it eventually.

The rumors says it'll be a new witcher from the Lynx school, so neither Geralt nor Ciri

There is also a game with Geralt in development, a remake of the first Witcher game. It's supposed to share the same tech as Witcher 4 and release after it
Then it better not be a user created witcher

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Make it create a character in the Witcher universe. I don't want to play as Geralt and I especially don't want to play as Ciri.

Killer8

I'm more interested in the remake of the first game to be honest. It definitely needs it although i'm not confident it will survive 2023 moral standards.

Dazraell

Then it better not be a user created witcher
This is just a personal opinion and speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would try something similar to V or Shepard by having a character who is partially pre-defined, but at a same time also partially user created. They couldn't make this with Geralt as he was an established character from the books, but this school from the artwork seems to be CDPR"s own addition to the lore

Top Bottom