• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher devs to make a Cyberpunk 2020 game

Carcetti

From Cd Projekt Conference thread.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/171358/CD_Projekt_ventures_beyond_The_Witcher_with_Cyberpunk.php

This new title, which is billed as a "triple-A RPG," is the first new IP that CD Projekt has tackled since the company found success with its Witcher franchise in 2007. The developer has formed a new group made up of veterans from the Witcher team to work on it.

CD Projekt is collaborating with Pondsmith on the title, and says it intends to create a whole franchise of games based on Cyberpunk, just as it did with The Witcher book series created by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The company hasn't yet discussed planned platforms or release timing.

Though Cyberpunk's near-futuristic setting is very different from The Witcher's, CD Projekt says its new game will feature many hallmarks from that series, such as morally ambiguous choices, non-linear progression, and a complex story designed for mature audiences.

More details on the Gamasutra article.

Those that don't know what's up:

Cyberpunk 2020 is a legendary pen-and-paper RPG from Talsorian games and Mike Pondsmith. It featured all the things people love in cyberpunk genre such as hacking, cybernetic limbs, crazy weapons and weird people wearing sunglasses at night. It also did all that with great style. If they go with the original world setting, it will feature great retro-ish stuff like huge cellphones and epic hair metal as well!

Cyberpunk 2020 pnp Wikipedia page for more info.

From conference slides (Thank you, Man from Atlantis)

Rich, futuristic world
Ultramodern technology
Decadent and degenerate human society

From the PNP game:
4700+ pages describing the game world, 44 handbooks
ADDED: high res artwork linked by helpful Sn4ke_911. Thank you guys!

n3y6e.jpg

The cover image of the original game tells us everything we need to know about the setting...

i-Lo

Key term: Mature.

Thank ye! Make it real, brutal, endearing, enjoyable and re-playable.

I just hope there will be an E3 showing of sorts for this game.

Technically, isn't it in the category as Fallout and Dishonoured? Any word on whether it'll have third or first person view?

EDIT: Sorry, I think Fallout and Dishonoured are more "Steam Punk".

pvpness

This is the kinda announcement that gets me excited. Though the word "mature" makes me uncomfortable when it comes to video games.

Carcetti

This is the kinda announcement that gets me excited. Though the word "mature" makes me uncomfortable when it comes to video games.

I'm optimistic. The Witcher 2 was actually quite mature. They even did non-embarrassing romance. I liked how casually they had Geralt
sexing up with Ves, who was just as bad-ass as him.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, way to kill E3. Nothing can top it now.

Not a single screenshot or video though, so it wont kill E3 at all. And personally, I can't get super hyped with just artwork and text. Hyped, sure, but i need more than that!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So gaf is back. Finally. Cant wait to hear more. I'm not even a huge rpg guy. I want more hear more though.

garath

I hate reading about things like this. I want it now, instead going to have to wait for 3-4 years until they finally finish it. Developers shouldn't announce anything unless they're almost done.

They mention different character classes, but did they say anything about further customizing the player character (like gender or customizing their face)or will it be just sort of default characters for each class?

Rekubot

Hearing the words mature, realistic and brutal in the same sentence would usually turn me off a game, but since it's Cd Projekt I'll give them a pass. Looking forward to hearing more.

.la1n

This news makes me so happy, the team has proven their selves as far as I am concerned so whatever they do I have faith in.

Top Bottom